• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6 [OT]

kaskade

Yeah, Verizon is definitely on top of things. I used them for a few years, but switched to T-Mobile in February for their better rates. Faster data in my area, too.

Feels like amateur hour when it comes to actually dealing with customers, though.

The only reason I switched to Verizon is because the service in my area is pretty bad with T-Mobile. Verizon seems to kill in the rural coverage.

Iacobellis

If my current AT&T 5 hasn't been using LTE nor allowing me to tether or use FaceTime over Cellular for a while now, is my phone/SIM bugged or more likely to be an error on the AT&T account? I want to make sure I get this fixed when I pick up the 6 once it delivers.

Toki767

If my current AT&T 5 hasn't been using LTE nor allowing me to tether or use FaceTime over Cellular for a while now, is my phone/SIM bugged or more likely to be an error on the AT&T account? I want to make sure I get this fixed when I pick up the 6 once it delivers.

1. Make sure LTE is available in your area.
2. Make sure your data plan says something like "for iPhone on 4G LTE"
3. Make sure you are using an AT&T phone (if you bought it second hand)
4. Get a new SIM card.

TimFL

Ordered 12:39am PST (exactly when the store went live again, was 9:39am in my timezone - Germany). It's already preparing for shipment since yesterday and delivery is the 19th via express delivery. Called PayPal and my local bank to make sure the payment goes through, PayPal LOVES to ruin my days by cancelling important orders.

Ordered the iPhone 6 (64GB Spacegrey).

I camped on 4 goddamn devices (iPhone App, iPad App via iPhone hotspot, Macbook Air website via iPhone hotspot and office desktop...).

S¡mon

Banned
Living in a 'second batch country' (September 26 launch). Pre-orders start September 19 - and I'm still not sure which one I should get (the 6+ or the regular 6). Ahrg!

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Got my shipping notification from Verizon. It'll be here Friday, but I'll probably be out of town. I'll probably have it held at FedEx and pick it up on my way to work on Monday.

kaskade

Got my shipping notification from Verizon. It'll be here Friday, but I'll probably be out of town. I'll probably have it held at FedEx and pick it up on my way to work on Monday.

Email? I'm a new customer so I don't get any texts or anything like that. My order status page still says being processed. I'm confident it'll be here Friday, I still can't help but obsessively check.

Deku Tree

Looks like the FedEx shipping is instructed to deliver on the 19th.
Any chance of it showing up early anyway?

Your chances are very low. FedEx would have to pay severe penalties to Apple, and the FedEx driver would be risking their job. Corporate contracts...

Mogwai

you won’t be able to dial out. it’s not full phone functionality. you can accept a call coming in and talk using the ipad.

Yup. It just means you don't have to carry your phone and your iPad around your house if your worried about missing calls. But I don't see a way to call out. Works great so far.

Hmm, a shame about calling out. Apple's weirdness strikes again. Thanks for the heads up, both of ya.

LCfiner

Hmm, a shame about calling out. Apple's weirdness strikes again. Thanks for the heads up, both of ya.

I was wrong. you can dial out from FaceTime or contacts

Possibly not, and we were wrong: I haven't tried this myself yet:

just tried it. the dialer app will tell you that the phone call is using your phone.

so, yeah, full phone functionality. just go through contacts or FaceTime app.

Deku Tree

I did notice that sending or receiving calls does not work from my iPad on my employers very secure WiFi network (it requires a whole long log in procedure the first time and you have to download a security certificate), even when both devices are present and logged in to it.

Sobriquet

Preference question: How do you upgrade? Do you use an iCloud backup, start fresh, or mount a full iTunes backup?

Personally, I always start with a full iTunes mount; it's the only way to do a guaranteed full restore.

I always start fresh. My phones (and iPads) tend to get cluttered with apps I don't use, so I'll just pick and choose from what I've downloaded in the past.

HUELEN10

Speck has announced their cases in the US, but don't say when they'll be available :( they look so nice tho...
OMG you're right!
4F9jJx1.jpg
Rarity one is MINE!

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I ordered on Verizon as soon as the site would work, my email says Friday, but nothing has updated on the actual site. Still says unknown for date.

Davey Cakes

Even though I'm getting the 6+ I'll probably do what I usually do and turn the phone into a tank with Otterbox.

That said I'm not paying $70 for a case. Same thing when it was $50 for the previous models. I'm going to wait until I see it for $15-25 on Amazon.

Until then maybe I'll use my 3DS pouch to protect it or something.

That said, there may be some nice holdover cases in the $10-$15 range at first. That was definitely the situation with the iPhone 5. Found a case that was as good or better than ones going for $30 in stores for only $12 on Amazon and it lasted me until I made the switch to the tank. My brother got a Speck Pixelskin for his iPhone 5 and I thought my case was just as protective and potentially even better-fitting at less than half the price.

The starting case + screen protector + discounted Otterbox ended up being less than I would have paid for the Otterbox if I just bought it in the beginning, outright.

Phone case prices are crazy.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
I'm so glad I called my local VW to learn last year their day one shipment last year didn't sell out until the next day...I'm still getting there early in the morning.

Is one hour sufficient time to wait in line for the iPhone 6+? The lincoln square apple store in ny opens at 9am est. I wonder if an hour is sufficient enough.

a916

So... I ended up getting the phone for roughly $950 CAD instead of going through with Rogers BS...

No way am I paying $300 PLUS my plan hiking up $20 a month and going from 6GB to 0.5GB.

My math puts that at me spending (with taxes and other Rogers dumb fees) roughly $50 or so extra dollars overall for having 6GB each month instead of 500MB.

So due to the clusterfuck that was the iPhone 6 preorder process, I actually have a 6 Plus that I'll go to store pickup on 9/19, and apparently I have a reservation for another one.

I certainly don't need two so I can just cancel the reservation one, right? Or should I order that one and.. cancel the other one? Does it even matter?

Edit: Nevermind, it looks like their system figured out that I already ordered an upgrade for that line and it's not a problem anymore. Yay!

Also, I work on Friday so I was gonna do store pickup so I could hopefully just go when they open to grab it before I go in to work. I've never done store pickup like that before, though, so is that how it works? Or do I have to wait till like, the middle of the day?

Top Bottom