• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone SE |OT| A Dazzling Display of Common Sense (again)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tempered glass screen protectors are the best. I pretty much have never dropped my phones and I still use them just to be safe. One day I was getting out of the car and had my phone in hand and had a lapse in judgement because as I unbuckled my seat-belt it whirled back and slammed itself right into my phone screen. I was scared for a bit until I pulled off the glass protector and the screen looked as good as the day it came out of the box. That moment is one of those little accidents that can happen at any time, but my $8 screen protector saved me from having to pay $100+ for a new screen.

Owari

well I did it, saved myself $15 a month on my bill too.

my gawd this little thing is incredible it feels so good. seriously this is my size for a cell phone.
Glad you're liking it. I too upgraded from a 6S and feel the SE is the superior smartphone.

HUELEN10

Glad you're liking it. I too upgraded from a 6S and feel the SE is the superior smartphone.

I've yet to meet a 6 or 6S user who got an SE that doesn't feel this way.

It's a good feeling. I mean, after a week, it's just awesome how awesome a phone this size can be. Like, I am using it solely with one hand, and I don't fumble with anything... all the while I start noticing how much the average person has to accommodate themselves and their tasks to the phone instead of the other way around.

I hope this sends a message to Cupertino that small iPhone lovers are passionate and will keep buying 4-incher, so long as they keep them as up-to-date as this one is.

Got mine in the mail today. Holy shit it's amazing.

Previous phone was a 6.
Same coming from a 6.

Somehow the one handed use makes it more of a personal device. Probably because what was said above. You aren't conforming to the phone due to the size.

Had my SE since Thrusday and I'm loving it!

I never upgraded to a 6/6S from my 5S because previously I'd had a Galaxy S3 & S4 and they were too large for one handed use, so I've never had to deal with the increased form factor outside of trying friends and demo models - I just hated the larger size in those brief experiences, as a rule of thumb if I can't comfortably reach the whole screen in a natural grasp of the phone, then its flawed.

As for functions, its more of the same but faster, those new features the 6/6s Plus etc had are nice upgrades for me, Live Photo's are awesome.

Strangely the SE, whilst being almost identical to the 6 but in a 5 case, works out cheaper for me than when I had a 5S!

The 5S
Paid £150 upfront for the handset
£25 per month for the device plan
£21.50 a month for the contract (Unlimited Texts, Calls and 1GB of Data)

The SE
Paid £50 upfront
£15 per month for the device plan
£21.50 a month for the contract with Unlimited Texts, Calls and 4GB of Data

I'll be happy until a similar sized Iphone upgrade is around in 2 years

I can't get over how much nicer this 4 year old design is over the 6/6+

The best part is everyone (including myself) acting like it's brand new and a huge improvement. I have an old iPhone 5 sitting in my nightstand drawer that I'm "meh" on, but this one blows my mind for some reason.

EmiPrime

Juan Carlos keeps knocking it out of the park. His reviews are head and shoulders above other YouTube reviewers. Only Erika Griffin has the same knowledge and attention to detail.

They really are the best around; I got tired of all the no effort 4 minute reviews telling us it's a iPhone 6s in a iPhone 5s body (you don't say!). I hope Erica does the SE before she does the LG G5.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
I should have ordered one the day they sold out but didn't. Now I'm just waiting for more stock to become available. It's a little frustrating.

Gandie

I should have ordered one the day they sold out but didn't. Now I'm just waiting for more stock to become available. It's a little frustrating.

I ordered soon after they announced it. Predicted shipping date is still April 14-18. Suuuucks.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I'm worried that the battery life in mine isn't too far off from my old 5. I was expecting the same battery life I saw on my iPad Air 2 at least.

HUELEN10

I'm worried that the battery life in mine isn't too far off from my old 5. I was expecting the same battery life I saw on my iPad Air 2 at least.

I don't usually track battery in settings. Usually, I am a charge at night person and don't worry about it as long as it gets me through the entire day.
6TwperE.png

Does this help? Is this considered good?

EmiPrime

I don't usually track battery in settings. Usually, I am a charge at night person and don't worry about it as long as it gets me through the entire day.

Does this help? Is this considered good?

Hard to say without knowing what your use is.

iOS doesn't show screen on time (the usage stat is not the same), Android does but the individual app battery usage stats are next to useless so it's hard to identify problem apps. It's my understanding that on iOS you could be streaming Netflix on cellular for 5 hours or listening to a podcast that's already been downloaded with the screen off for 5 hours (Dan Carlin's Hardcore History!) and both will show up as 5 hours of active use in the battery stats.

Maybe one day Apple and Google can combine forces and make a battery usage tracker that's worth something.

WillyBear

Neo Member
Anybody using the Switftkey keyboard as their primary keyboard on the iPhone SE? I was wondering if the normal Apple keyboard still pops up from time to time (not when inputting a password), has this been fixed with the 2gb of ram on the iPhone SE?

dity

Is the 16Gb space enough for this phone? I guess a lot of space can be saved using the cloud storage?
Probably depends on what you do with your phone. I have around 5GB free and I use my phone daily. Mostly for web browsing, social media and communication though.

Onyar

Probably depends on what you do with your phone. I have around 5GB free and I use my phone daily. Mostly for web browsing, social media and communication though.

Thanks, I will use it in the same way, just browsing and social media. Pictures and movies are rare in my daily use.

AzureSky

i think the biggest problem are videos. If you want to watch or record videos (especially 4k), 64gb is the only way to go. Anything else can be worked around with cloud storage.

Onyar

Agree, but I don't usually record videos on the phone. The true is that for some people the 16Gb will feel very short.

Akim

Banned
Is there any easy way to go from the 6+ to this phone? I saw apple only gives you $300 bucks trade in. Was hoping I could do a quick swap without dealing with 3rd parties or shady craigslist people.

Is there any easy way to go from the 6+ to this phone? I saw apple only gives you $300 bucks trade in. Was hoping I could do a quick swap without dealing with 3rd parties or shady craigslist people.

This is exactly what I did (with a 64gb 6+). As long as the phone is in good shape, just take it to them and they'll wipe the phone in front of you and give you a $300 gift card that can be immediately applied to the purchase of a new phone (or anything else in the Apple store, I guess). They didn't want the charger, box, or headphones.

I figure I left about $125-ish or so on the table by not going thru eBay or something. I was willing to eat that to make the transaction easy. Selling electronics on eBay has bitten me in the past with shady buyers, so I'm willing to take less for my old devices to have it "no questions asked".

Returned my gold SE because of a yellow tint and the battery started to go down the tubes pretty quickly. Only model left for exchange was a rose gold. Much better in person than I thought! Screen and battery are both beautiful on this thing now.

HUELEN10

Returned my gold SE because of a yellow tint and the battery started to go down the tubes pretty quickly. Only model left for exchange was a rose gold. Much better in person than I thought! Screen and battery are both beautiful on this thing now.

Glad you are enjoying it, but that is weird; was it a splotch of yellow on part of the screen, or was it just warmer due to panel lottery?

DjRalford

I'm having major issues with my SE when taking calls in the car over bluetooth, bluetooth music playback is crystal clear but in call quality is awful, i can switch from car to the phones speaker and the quality on the phone is exceptional.

Had a look on the apple boards and it seems i'm not alone, they even have a list going of different bluetooth systems and headsets that people have issues with, if i call a landline its not so bad, still crackly but i can make out whats being said, calling a mobile i can barely make out a single word at times.

Anyone else on Gaf had this?

Glad you are enjoying it, but that is weird; was it a splotch of yellow on part of the screen, or was it just warmer due to panel lottery?

it was a splotch, yeah. Just uneven. There were a few other things that were acting strange with the phone (like it not playing well with iCloud...even Apple Support was stumped) but yeah, the Rose Gold replacement is fantastic. Really does look nice in person.

I'm having major issues with my SE when taking calls in the car over bluetooth, bluetooth music playback is crystal clear but in call quality is awful, i can switch from car to the phones speaker and the quality on the phone is exceptional.

Had a look on the apple boards and it seems i'm not alone, they even have a list going of different bluetooth systems and headsets that people have issues with, if i call a landline its not so bad, still crackly but i can make out whats being said, calling a mobile i can barely make out a single word at times.

Anyone else on Gaf had this?

Haven't tried calls over bluetooth but I will say that the call clarity with the SE is a ton better than what I had with the 6. I have no idea why but man, calls with the earbuds are just so much clearer than before.

DjRalford

it was a splotch, yeah. Just uneven. There were a few other things that were acting strange with the phone (like it not playing well with iCloud...even Apple Support was stumped) but yeah, the Rose Gold replacement is fantastic. Really does look nice in person.

Haven't tried calls over bluetooth but I will say that the call clarity with the SE is a ton better than what I had with the 6. I have no idea why but man, calls with the earbuds are just so much clearer than before.

Clarity through the phone is exceptional, but over bluetooth its hot garbage

HUELEN10

Gotcha. Splotches are rare, my 6 had one that I noticed, so I got it swapped out (Applecare is Awesome), so I know what it is, as uncommon as it might be. Glad it got sorted out though!

I was considering getting Rose Gold, but the more I saw it, the more I realized that it is too copper, and not pink enough.

Gotcha. Splotches are rare, my 6 had one that I noticed, so I got it swapped out (Applecare is Awesome), so I know what it is, as uncommon as it might be. Glad it got sorted out though!

I was considering getting Rose Gold, but the more I saw it, the more I realized that it is too copper, and not pink enough.

I actually like the more copper look than straight pink. But according to my 7 year old I have a pink phone haha.

VAD

I don't know if this is the honeymoon phase talking but t I'm loving my time with the SE so far. It's like all I ever needed was this phone.
maybe a drunk post
. Seriously, Best phone ever.

DjRalford

I don't know if this is the honeymoon phase talking but t I'm loving my time with the SE so far. It's like all I ever needed was this phone.
maybe a drunk post
. Seriously, Best phone ever.

Its exceptionally fast for such a little phone

is it difficult to go back to a smaller screen?

I've found it ok, i am quite ham fisted but i don't make many mistakes on the keyboard using the smaller screen, the clarity through the phone itself is amazing,

Its snappy, small, light, if anything my biggest problem, aside from the bluetooth issues i am experiencing, is after so long with an Xperia Z2 i have to keep checking that its in my pocket due to it being so much smaller and lighter.

I felt right at home going from a 6s to an SE. You can tell iOS was designed with this form factor in mind. I can reach all 4 corners with one hand, no shimmy needed. It's incredible really. I can zip around the Os one handed and it feels so good.

TheWorst

This thing is so slick. I think I just convinced myself to upgrade to one (currently using a Nexus 5). I've always really liked this design.

dity

Went to bed last night after a day full of Youtube vids, data usage, Miitomo and phone calls with around 30% left. Beats the hell out of my iPhone 6.

LilJoka

I don't do gaming on the iPhone, just browsing and social media. Have hit 10hours usage on the last 2 charges. 48 hours standby.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom