• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Music |OT| Apple Invents Music, Time To Party Like It's 1989!

Mr. Hyde

Is there a good way to organize my music in apple music? Itunes seems confusing and I don't see a smart playlist option in the actual music ios app. I could be wrong, though. I just want to get my music nicely organized. I wish they had two tabs so one could just be all my streaming music and the rest is stuff I physically have on my iPhone.

number11

Yea I also noticed that removing a matched song from your iCloud account (using iOS) also deletes that song from your hard drive. The track doesn't even go in the trash.

You have the option to re-download it.. But obviously the apple match version.

tmdorsey

ok, yeah I am unfamiliar with matching through Music (I have a Match subscription). Not sure why it's assigning a status of Apple Music to your matched files. But it's only some of them? So you do have files that show up as Matched?

Yes, I do have some songs that show up as Matched, but the majority of library has the status of Apple Music.

On another note, something cool I just discovered. I'm listening to a song based radio station and a live version of a song comes. I decide to search for the non-live version in Apple Music. I find and add it to "Up Next". I go back to the "Now Playing" screen, and it has the song I searched for playing next, and after that it looks like it will go back to playing the song radio station. Pretty cool! I was expecting to have to manually restart the station.

holygeesus

Banned
Well I'm throwing the towel in and will be re-subscibing to Spotify I think. All the hiccups I've been experiencing along the way, have been compounded by more and more frequent brief sound drop-outs when air-playing from my Mac, which didn't happen a single once during my years with Spotify.

Meh. I gave it a hell of a chance, but there are just too many annoyances.

Mr. Hyde

Well I'm throwing the towel in and will be re-subscibing to Spotify I think. All the hiccups I've been experiencing along the way, have been compounded by more and more frequent brief sound drop-outs when air-playing from my Mac, which didn't happen a single once during my years with Spotify.

Meh. I gave it a hell of a chance, but there are just too many annoyances.

I've never used Spotify outside of making an account and I am loving the interface and how easy it is to find artists I did not know about on labels and etc that I love in the biography section of bands. I might be using this for a while until apple music gets organized.

Kinsella

Banned
I've never used Spotify outside of making an account and I am loving the interface and how easy it is to find artists I did not know about on labels and etc that I love in the biography section of bands. I might be using this for a while until apple music gets organized.

Spotify has a few issues with its apps, but ease-of-use is not one of them.

Ashhong

I was so excited for Apple Music that I went and bought an iTunes gift card off ebay, 50$ card for 40$. Now I think I prefer to just keep my physical music and streaming music separate with Spotify.

However, I like how easy it is to add a single song to my iPhone. Just drag it into my iTunes and it will automatically add just that one song without syncing and all that crap.

That being said, anybody want to buy my iTunes gift card? :/

Mr. Hyde

I think what surprised me is that I can find all the musicians that play on modern classical and jazz pieces. This seems essential to me. I haven't seen this feature in apple music. Am I missing it?

I fully expected for it to have some hiccups along the way. I've only had to change some album art.

I like having all my own music alongside being able to stream them all in one app. So I guess I'll be a subscriber after 3 months

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
I was so excited for Apple Music that I went and bought an iTunes gift card off ebay, 50$ card for 40$. Now I think I prefer to just keep my physical music and streaming music separate with Spotify.

However, I like how easy it is to add a single song to my iPhone. Just drag it into my iTunes and it will automatically add just that one song without syncing and all that crap.

That being said, anybody want to buy my iTunes gift card? :/

but you can basically do that with Apple Music (keep local music and Apple Music separate). On top of then having iOS integration, better discovery/curation, etc. for the same price.

Out of the reasons to keep using Spotify over Music, I don't see how just wanting to keep local and streaming separate as one that makes sense, as you can do the same thing with Music while still getting additional benefits.

Mr. Hyde

but you can basically do that with Apple Music (keep local music and Apple Music separate). On top of then having iOS integration, better discovery/curation, etc. for the same price.

Out of the reasons to keep using Spotify over Music, I don't see how just wanting to keep local and streaming separate as one that makes sense, as you can do the same thing with Music while still getting additional benefits.

What's the easiest way to keep local and streaming organized so they're not cluttered together?

Mr. Hyde

don't turn on iCloud Music Library.

True but then I cannot add any streaming albums to my library :p I wish they had two separate tabs to keep them separated. Ah well. I guess I can attempt to figure this out before switching elsewhere.

Edit: Wow. I turned icloud back on and it auto added every single artist I spent ten minutes removing. I just wanted to start over. Geez.

number11

Another annoying thing to add to the endless list. Why is it that some songs are greyed out on certain albums/compilations.. But when you search for the track it's available to stream in single form.

borghe

True but then I cannot add any streaming albums to my library :p I wish they had two separate tabs to keep them separated. Ah well. I guess I can attempt to figure this out before switching elsewhere.

in practice, with iCloud Music Library turned on, you can do what you said in your first post. Drop a song onto iTunes, it will be added to your iCloud Music Library, and a small time later will just show up on your phone. The biggest issue most people seem to run into is that initial setup of iCloud Music Library, which seems to succeed/fail to wildly varying degrees.

Anyway, I see what you are saying. Rather than go through potential hassle, just keep the two libraries separate. For me, it seems overly cumbersome to say "well if I want to listen to this song I have to go into this app, but if I want to listen to this song I have to go into a different app." I only want to have to go to one place to listen to ALL of my music. And I'd guess, removing the frustration of a horrible setup, that's what most people would love.

As I've suggested with others, at the very least I would attempt (one or a few times) to get your library into iCloud. Maybe it will just work the first time, maybe it won't. But at least give it a shot. Because if you can do it with minimal hassle, it to me seems truly like the best option.

MickD

I have been "updating iCloud library" ... WOW this is taking forever! I feel kind of stupid because I didn't read how to upload and thought it would be automatic, I keep having to go in and hitting the button. Left my computer on all night and only got in around 100 songs, 2000 out of 10k to go. This incredibly slow speed is normal right....?

I will probably keep the service, I just have to organize the genres of my music all OCD-like (I use a weird number system, lol) to keep apple music tracks separate from the other music. I know I can easily view what type of file it is, but this is easier for editing. So when a track comes in to my library, I can easily tell where I need to edit and put into what smart playlist for djing. The stuff that doesn't work nice with apple music gets a delete if I don't need it.

I think it can be extremely powerful for previewing songs and tracks before I get them on beatport, this is pretty much what I did with spotify but I never paid for it.

I've been tuning it to Beats1 to hear Julie Adenuga FIYAHHH sets. This woman is incredible! Awesome deep house style.

Still can't figure out what's going on with my DJ software (traktor). From what I've read it's the way the DJ app see's the XML file or something. Hopefully they patch this.

Mr. Hyde

in practice, with iCloud Music Library turned on, you can do what you said in your first post. Drop a song onto iTunes, it will be added to your iCloud Music Library, and a small time later will just show up on your phone. The biggest issue most people seem to run into is that initial setup of iCloud Music Library, which seems to succeed/fail to wildly varying degrees.

Anyway, I see what you are saying. Rather than go through potential hassle, just keep the two libraries separate. For me, it seems overly cumbersome to say "well if I want to listen to this song I have to go into this app, but if I want to listen to this song I have to go into a different app." I only want to have to go to one place to listen to ALL of my music. And I'd guess, removing the frustration of a horrible setup, that's what most people would love.

As I've suggested with others, at the very least I would attempt (one or a few times) to get your library into iCloud. Maybe it will just work the first time, maybe it won't. But at least give it a shot. Because if you can do it with minimal hassle, it to me seems truly like the best option.

I think I will attempt this after I sort my iTunes library. I have so much crap I need to remove from my library that I've accumulated over the years which I don't listen to. A lot of albums I've ripped when I was younger plus bands I've found for cheap on band camp and Amazon. I guess this can be an excuse to clean my library.

GWX

My sister is so damn mad at Apple Music right now. She enabled iCloud Music Library on her iPad Air 2 (running iOS 8.4), but she can't add anything from Apple Music to her library. When adding something, the checkmark just vanishes right after appearing, or it stays there until she goes to my music - when she fails to find what she added, she goes back to the content in question to find the checkmark is gone again. Really infuriating. For what is worth, she's a member of my iCloud family.

Number45

Is she trying to add something that already exists in her library from previously, or that might already exist on another device using the same library? I had this on my phone before clearing out the library in iTunes (that I enabled iCloud Music for).

number11

Anyone else have the problem when adding playlists.. If the playlist features a song already in your library, it creates a duplicate. It happens on both uploaded and matched songs.

With all the problems I'm having with this.. In tempted to scrap half my library and replace everything with Apple Music versions.

edit: after testing this further, it doesn't matter if the track was matched/uploaded. The track could be from the Apple Music library.. If you add a curated playlist and then make it available offline, a duplicate will be added.

GWX

Is she trying to add something that already exists in her library from previously, or that might already exist on another device using the same library? I had this on my phone before clearing out the library in iTunes (that I enabled iCloud Music for).

It's something completely new, straight from Apple Music. In fact, she tried to add many different albums, but none were actually added. She tried to deactivate and reactivate iCloud Music Library, restart the app and her iPad many times. She also has an iPhone, but never used Apple Music there, I believe.

derek212

Does anyone know where I can find the new release singles ? I see new albums section but not new singles. It's Friday and I wanna know what's been newly released.

Ashhong

If I turn off cloud music then I can't save the music for later, and what's the point in that?

I'm ocd about my music and don't really like how Apple Music handles my files and AM files together. Not to mention the fact that it took albums from my library, albums that are present in AM, and changed the album art for only a few of the tracks.

My library contains all the songs I've bought and care enough to have. I like using spotify as my "song of the moment" type player, where all I do is press one button and it adds to one playlist and that's it. Can I do that in apple music if my iCloud music is off?

Also, spotify is half the price because I use a student email.

borghe

You could actually sort of do that. You still have to have ICloud Library turned on. Download your songs (guessing this is what you want anyway) Fix the metadata of any songs that weren't brought in right. Create an Apple Music playlist. Add songs from the service to it. Then use Show Songs Available Offline to differentiate. With it turned on only your music shows up. With it turned off you have full access to your Apple Music playlist.

Just one thought.
Does anyone know where I can find the new release singles ? I see new albums section but not new singles. It's Friday and I wanna know what's been newly released.
Yeah the new music section is a mess. Doesn't help that all formatting on the iOS 9 beta is borked atm. Seem to get slightly better results going by genre. But Halsey - New Americana single dropped today and I can only find it searching. Even weirder is at the top of her page Latest Release shows her last single, but then scroll down to albums ( which are chronological) and it shows up first there.

holygeesus

Banned
I don't think Spotify differentiates between singles or albums in it's new releases section either. Very odd.

I'm going to give this another go with the new OS X beta and see if it sorts my airplay issues out.

borghe

The annoying part is that Apple's actual iTunes Store page's New section is immaculate. Clearly two completely different groups involved in each.

Fortunately this should just be a "fix once, fix forever" type of thing..

holygeesus

Banned
Well, I don't think anybody else was having the issue I was with brief sound drop-outs when airplaying from Mac to Amp, but after carrying out an (admittedly brief) 45 minute test, since installing El Capitan, I've not encountered one, so hopefully, that will be that sorted.

/cancels Spotify (again)

Ashhong

You could actually sort of do that. You still have to have ICloud Library turned on. Download your songs (guessing this is what you want anyway) Fix the metadata of any songs that weren't brought in right. Create an Apple Music playlist. Add songs from the service to it. Then use Show Songs Available Offline to differentiate. With it turned on only your music shows up. With it turned off you have full access to your Apple Music playlist.

Just one thought.

Yeah the new music section is a mess. Doesn't help that all formatting on the iOS 9 beta is borked atm. Seem to get slightly better results going by genre. But Halsey - New Americana single dropped today and I can only find it searching. Even weirder is at the top of her page Latest Release shows her last single, but then scroll down to albums ( which are chronological) and it shows up first there.

I don't really want to download the streaming music, but I guess it's not a big deal that I do.

Also I don't even know how to fix the metadata such as cover art. When I look at my music on iTunes, the album art isn't broken, and there seems to be no changes made. I may stick with AM, not sure. Especially since iOS9 gives the option to stream at high quality.

Is there a way to see all singles by an artist? There's only the Top Singles option..

Phreaker

More of "this song can be played using Apple Music, but not added to your music" - a new song they have been promoting on Beats 1 too. Click "New" and try to add Hasley's New Americana to your music. You can play it, but if you click the + you "lose" your connection to "your iTunes purchases" (broken cloud).

idMtBzRdyIW3u.png

Click "New" and try to add Hasley's New Americana to your music. You can play it, but if you click the + you "lose" your connection to "your iTunes purchases" (broken cloud).

idMtBzRdyIW3u.png

I had the same problem with another song. Seems to be on songs added in the last couple of days.

TheGrue

I have two issues with Apple Music, really:

1) When I'm adding songs to playlists on a computer (happens on both Windows and Mac), sometimes it doesn't populate the playlist menu with my playlists, so I have to click off of the sound, click it again and try to add

2) When I add a bunch of songs to a playlist using the iPhone Music app, I can add like 10 songs and only 3 will actually make it to the playlist.

Moozo

WHy does this thing add unticked music to the iCloud Library, and then match them on my phone?

If you have unticked remixes or live versions it matches them as the studio versions so you just end up with a load of duplicates with incorrect titles.

edit: lmao

this whole thing is a joke

Got a live album which has been given totally the wrong artwork. Renamed several of the songs to try and match the version on iTunes Store and instead it matched the studio versions. Right click>remove download to try and get the right version back and it WIPED the live track from my LOCAL FILES. Gone. Not even in recycle bin. Just gone. A file I had imported from a CD. Fucking ridiculous.

It won't even put some of the local tracks on my phone. Why oh why can it not just continue syncing local files normally??

borghe

Also I don't even know how to fix the metadata such as cover art.
Is there a way to see all singles by an artist? There's only the Top Singles option..
same way you always changed metadata (Right Click-> Get Info)

sadly Apple shows singles as albums.. so your only choice (in Music or iTunes) is to go to Artist->Albums :(
More of "this song can be played using Apple Music, but not added to your music" - a new song they have been promoting on Beats 1 too. Click "New" and try to add Hasley's New Americana to your music. You can play it, but if you click the + you "lose" your connection to "your iTunes purchases" (broken cloud).

idMtBzRdyIW3u.png

this is absolutely not an app wide issue, as I added that very song this morning as soon as I signed in. On your device or PC? It's in my library and already showing a play count of 5 :D
I have two issues with Apple Music, really:

2) When I add a bunch of songs to a playlist using the iPhone Music app, I can add like 10 songs and only 3 will actually make it to the playlist.

will ask the requisite "do you have Show Songs Available Offline" selected? Also I swear I had issues where I would add songs to playlists without first adding them to My Music, and they wouldn't add... someone called me on it saying I was wrong, I went back to try again, and it worked. So yeah, if you don't have "Show Songs Available Offline" selected, try first adding the song to My Music, then from the same screen add it to a playlist.

Phreaker

this is absolutely not an app wide issue, as I added that very song this morning as soon as I signed in. On your device or PC? It's in my library and already showing a play count of 5 :D

Hmm, then maybe they are working on it? I say this because I added the Years & Years album that came out to my library this morning (via iPhone) and now that's not an option in iTunes (there is no + to click on) after selecting their album under NEW/New Music (3rd album listed). The above screenshot was from iTunes on my MBP. Hopefully they get this sorted out soon.

Edit: Hey, I was able to add the New Americana song to my library via the iPhone, but not iTunes on my MBP, so thanks!! :D

Ashhong

same way you always changed metadata (Right Click-> Get Info)

sadly Apple shows singles as albums.. so your only choice (in Music or iTunes) is to go to Artist->Albums :(

Why did you delete the second half of my sentence? I know how to change metadata, but it doesn't work in this case. The songs with the incorrect album art on my phone show the original album art that I put on in iTunes. If I click get info in iTunes, everything is fine, no problems with art. So how am I to fix it on just the phone? Doesn't make sense..

Also anybody see an "Ineligible' error for syncing to iCloud? I made a mix the other day and put it to my iTunes. It had the dotted cloud to try and sync then stopped and said its ineligible. Granted it was a 2 hour mix, but surely that can't be why?

Phreaker

if you add an album with +, you should lose the +. it should turn into a ✓

Right, but this is what it is doing on iTunes vs iPhone:

iTunes (Apple Music) no checkmark or plus sign:
i6FKMsYVvYjK3.png

iPhone (Apple Music) looks as I'd expect:
ibz8ywMc7bTiQ5.png

It's so weird. Seems to work better on iPhone than iTunes for now.

It's a screenshot of iTunes, so I would guess that. I have the same issue so it's not a one off.

borghe

Why did you delete the second half of my sentence? I know how to change metadata, but it doesn't work in this case. The songs with the incorrect album art on my phone show the original album art that I put on in iTunes. If I click get info in iTunes, everything is fine, no problems with art. So how am I to fix it on just the phone? Doesn't make sense..
Gotcha. Sorry about that. Try changing it isn't iTunes anyway? Or see if you have a dupe or bad match somewhere?

Also anybody see an "Ineligible' error for syncing to iCloud? I made a mix the other day and put it to my iTunes. It had the dotted cloud to try and sync then stopped and said its ineligible. Granted it was a 2 hour mix, but surely that can't be why?
Match (and Music?) doesn't have a time limit but does have a size limit. 200MB or smaller only
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204146

If it's larger than that, just split it into two gapless tracks. Both should upload fine then.

TheGrue

will ask the requisite "do you have Show Songs Available Offline" selected? Also I swear I had issues where I would add songs to playlists without first adding them to My Music, and they wouldn't add... someone called me on it saying I was wrong, I went back to try again, and it worked. So yeah, if you don't have "Show Songs Available Offline" selected, try first adding the song to My Music, then from the same screen add it to a playlist.

No, but it worked fine the first few days I had it and seems to have started the last couple of days. Also, I guess I'm not sure why I have to make it available offline. I'm connected to the network and only want to use this playlist as a giant mix of songs for streaming without having to store the music anywhere.

As for adding to My Music, the interesting thing is it does add them all to My Music, just that a random selection of them don't make it to the playlist. I usually fix it by deleting the couple of songs that make it and then finding it in My Music and adding the whole lot from there.

It's only an issue with the phone app and not with the computer version. I imagine it's a bug, given how randomly it seems to add the songs to the playlist.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

Honestly, I didn't think the iOS app was great, but after using Apple Music, it looks like a brilliant piece of user-friendly software.

Apple really likes to fuck everything up in their software sometimes, probably in an attempt to make it "just work" for people who don't know anything. It's just very frustrating and not intuitive at all at the moment, especially when it comes to trying reasonably organize things.

I definitely won't be renewing the subscription after the three month trial if they don't massively improve the iOS app.

Daria

this is an absolute piece of garbage software. I locally sync my iTunes via USB cord, yet only half of my songs show up when I toggle it to offline mode. I have an idea that iCloud Library is causing the issue so I'll probably turn that off somehow

Top Bottom