• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Music |OT| Apple Invents Music, Time To Party Like It's 1989!

igor

just figured out something that really pisses me off

I downloaded an album leak the other day (that I fully intend on buying when it's out in a week) but iTunes will not allow me copy the album to my iPhone because I have 'iCloud Music Library' enabled. I was about to turn that off but then it said it would remove all my Apple Music. Really annoyed. Is there not a way to download leaked music to your iPhone anymore if you want to use Apple Music?

guess I will be burning a CD like the old days

You just sync the iTunes library to iCloud, then you can access it from your iPod and save it. When I disabled it i deleted all my music for my reason. But once you set it all up again it's veyry handy, whenever I put something up on my iTunes on mac it pops up almost instantaneously in the "Recently Added" section.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
iOS 9 beta 3 has option to enable/disable high quality streaming on cellular.

stream_hq_cellular.jpg

on the plus, awesome.

on the minus, it sucks that native apps are tied to OS releases with iOS.

at least those of us who aren't worried about data can now get 256Kbps guaranteed.

Wait is this a new font on iOS?? I only thought it's for El Capitan. It's a little bit Android-ey. :(

It's actually the Apple Watch font. And yes.. for better or worse as of iOS9 it is now the default iOS system font.

What is the quality now on 8.4?

seems to be variable depending on connection quality. Myself and a few others ran tests in here last week and got anywhere from 64Kbps to 256Kbps depending on signal quality. Guessing it's using a version of Apple's HLS.

MickD

So I'm trying to add a playlist that contains apple music in it from iTunes.. Wondering why its saying it can't sync?

Any ideas? I'm on the beta of el cap and iOS 9.. updated today.

borghe

So I'm trying to add a playlist that contains apple music in it from iTunes.. Wondering why its saying it can't sync?

Any ideas? I'm on the beta of el cap and iOS 9.. updated today.

biggest issue with syncing playlists seems to be playlists won't sync if all of the music in the playlist can't be synced. So if you have iCloud Music Library on and some of the songs in the playlist didn't successfully get added to the cloud. Or if you have iCML turned off, and some songs in the playlist are not successfully being synced to the device.

Essentially Music won't sync a playlist if any songs from the playlist are unavailable to be synced.

edit - with that being said... being in the beta obviously potentially carries it's own wrinkle with it. but above is where I'd start at least.

the3ye

just figured out something that really pisses me off

I downloaded an album leak the other day (that I fully intend on buying when it's out in a week) but iTunes will not allow me copy the album to my iPhone because I have 'iCloud Music Library' enabled. I was about to turn that off but then it said it would remove all my Apple Music. Really annoyed. Is there not a way to download leaked music to your iPhone anymore if you want to use Apple Music?

guess I will be burning a CD like the old days
Isn't it funny that in order to have non iTunes Store music on your iOS decice you have to: download it from internet (or rip it from CD), put it on iTunes, upload it to internet, download it from internet on your iOS device. And it doesn't always work as it should. WOW hope they figure something out about local sync.
I have lots of personal CD rips, but that's only removing first step (downloading from internet)
I still haven't turned iCloud library on mac after disaster it made the first time.
I wonder if 3rd party sync apps work with 8.4 and bypass iCloud library, hmmm.

MickD

Essentially Music won't sync a playlist if any songs from the playlist are unavailable to be synced.

This baffles me. I can't use it the same way to sync up music with my computer. Can't add my personal mixes and tracks to play at parties etc. It's either all or nothing ? Wonder if this will ever work the same :/

On iTunes - say I import an album and change a few things, like genre or whatever. iTunes (or Apple Music) will show another copy for me to download that is 128kps (completely unplayable for crowds). I have to go in and delete each track individually, not a huge deal but annoying.

The DJ community is in an uproar about Apple Music due to iTunes not playing nice with Serator/Rekordbox/Traktor etc. It can't sync/view tracks the same .. so our days of creating smart playlists with a massive amount of rules is gone until manufactures update the software.. which I'm sure is sooner than later.

borghe

the thing you guys might not realize, is that you are actually in the minority when it comes to wanting to locally sync your devices. I mean I totally get that you want it, but that is not where the average consumer is, and not where apple (or anyone else) sees any future going. so in regards to apple making improvements to local sync at all.. I would hold my breath. Instead I would be pushing/hoping for improvements to Music's match setup.

As for third party syncing stuff.. Does that exist today? I know non-jailbreak apps only have the ability to read from your music library, zero ability to write to it. are their PC/Mac tools with the ability to write music to your device-DB?

Even then, you'd still forever be locked out of the ability to add Apple Music tracks to your own library, and/or making them available offline. In short you'd be hamstringing a huge part of the service.

don't get me wrong.. I totally get that the match functionality is wildly YMMV.. but the direction everything is headed is clear (streaming/iCloud Library), and the likelihood of other services matching Apple Music in features any time soon are low. It's actually not in Spotify's best interest at all to integrate your own library on any platform. And Google is really stuck in the position of not being a major push at all for the company, on top of being a distant second-run on either of the two big platforms (ironically even on its own) So if you want the integration/ecosystem features of Music, you literally have no other option. And if you choose to use spotify instead, you're still left with the dilemma that at the very least you can use Apple Music with the exact same smaller feature set, and still get at least some added integration into iOS by default without iCML turned on.

Definitely a "lesser of two evils" sort of thing.. Hopefully Apple gets this matching shit together.

The DJ community is in an uproar about Apple Music due to iTunes not playing nice with Serator/Rekordbox/Traktor etc. It can't sync/view tracks the same .. so our days of creating smart playlists with a massive amount of rules is gone until manufactures update the software.. which I'm sure is sooner than later.

hmmmm.. not sure. I know on iOS anything (like Djay) that has app access to your Music library can play anything that you add to My Music (with iCloud Music Library turned on), and can play it just fine. I haven't had much of a chance to mess with OS X yet. Obviously the tracks ARE FairPlay encrypted (m4p) so any mixing/dj'ing apps I would think would need to work THROUGH iTunes to gain the key to actually play those files.

I'd have to believe Apple has provided a hook in the iTunes API for this, given how dominant Macs are in the DJing community. Then again it's been 6(7?) years since DJs have had to worry about DRMed files from Apple... will look into it.

Majine

Banned
Before Apple Music, I pre-ordered an album that had some songs that were downloadable immediately. Those songs (and the album) does not show up in the iCloud music library. Now what? I paid for those songs...

borghe

Before Apple Music, I pre-ordered an album that had some songs that were downloadable immediately. Those songs (and the album) does not show up in the iCloud music library. Now what? I paid for those songs...

most likely answer is that if they were already downloaded on your phone, and they weren't preserved on your phone, you'll just have to download them again. I'd guess when you do that Music/iTunes will realize/register that you actually have those files in iCloud and at that point even if you delete them locally they should still stay in icloud library.

Majine

Banned
Download them from the itunes store?

I tried, but they don't show up in the music app.

On iTunes on my computer, the songs have a dotted iCloud icon, which I looked up means, "In the process of being matched", it's been like this for a few days now.

Shane86

I tried, but they don't show up in the music app.

On iTunes on my computer, the songs have a dotted iCloud icon, which I looked up means, "In the process of being matched", it's been like this for a few days now.

Try the itunes store, not the music app

the3ye

the thing you guys might not realize, is that you are actually in the minority when it comes to wanting to locally sync your devices. I mean I totally get that you want it, but that is not where the average consumer is, and not where apple (or anyone else) sees any future going. so in regards to apple making improvements to local sync at all.. I would hold my breath. Instead I would be pushing/hoping for improvements to Music's match setup.

As for third party syncing stuff.. Does that exist today? I know non-jailbreak apps only have the ability to read from your music library, zero ability to write to it. are their PC/Mac tools with the ability to write music to your device-DB?

Even then, you'd still forever be locked out of the ability to add Apple Music tracks to your own library, and/or making them available offline. In short you'd be hamstringing a huge part of the service.

don't get me wrong.. I totally get that the match functionality is wildly YMMV.. but the direction everything is headed is clear (streaming/iCloud Library), and the likelihood of other services matching Apple Music in features any time soon are low. It's actually not in Spotify's best interest at all to integrate your own library on any platform. And Google is really stuck in the position of not being a major push at all for the company, on top of being a distant second-run on either of the two big platforms (ironically even on its own) So if you want the integration/ecosystem features of Music, you literally have no other option. And if you choose to use spotify instead, you're still left with the dilemma that at the very least you can use Apple Music with the exact same smaller feature set, and still get at least some added integration into iOS by default without iCML turned on.

Definitely a "lesser of two evils" sort of thing.. Hopefully Apple gets this matching shit together.

hmmmm.. not sure. I know on iOS anything (like Djay) that has app access to your Music library can play anything that you add to My Music (with iCloud Music Library turned on), and can play it just fine. I haven't had much of a chance to mess with OS X yet. Obviously the tracks ARE FairPlay encrypted (m4p) so any mixing/dj'ing apps I would think would need to work THROUGH iTunes to gain the key to actually play those files.

I'd have to believe Apple has provided a hook in the iTunes API for this, given how dominant Macs are in the DJing community. Then again it's been 6(7?) years since DJs have had to worry about DRMed files from Apple... will look into it.

I wouldn't mind iCloud Library really, I just want an option not to be forced to upload my whole library to Match or cloud. Let me choose what I want to upload and when. And they want me to pay for that as well.

And yes, iMazing (DiskAid) can sync local files with iCloud Library on on iOS, but
iCloud Music Library detected on your device. Some iMazing features such as the creation and editing of playlists may not function properly. Please disable iCloud Music Library if you experience unexpected results.
So if it's possible on 3rd party apps, what's the point of removing if from iTunes...

SeanR1221

Another question.

I updated iTunes on my computer. All my playlists are there, but a very small percentage of stuff is in My Music. Why? Shouldn't all the playlist stuff automatically go there?

EDIT: so anything I add NOW on either device syncs up. Well, that kind of sucks. I'm going to have to add all that other shit manually. Stupid.

EDIT 2: Well it seems in iTunes when you add something to your playlists, the albums don't automatically show up in my music. Interesting, but weird. Hope they fix that!!!

And I figured out the my music problem! I had the option to only show offline songs selected. Now that its sorted out, I'm about to add tons of albums.

Toa TAK

Banned
Got a question, and sorry if this has already been asked but on both the iPhone and in iTunes if I "Add" a song, that counts as a purchase, doesn't it?

borghe

Sean - yeah if you add a song there isn't a good way to add the album. Fortunately it's easy to still display and play the whole album (which for most is probably all they need), but to add it yeah you basically have to search for it again.

Toa - not quite sure what you're asking, but it is impossible to make a purchase inside of the music app. Anything you add is just added to your My Music. If you cancel your sub you lose access to all of the added stuff. You still can make purchases from iTunes as always and it adds to your library as always. Hit the ... next to a song and select View In Store.

Not much of a reason to buy stuff that's in Apple Music unless you really need/want a DRM-free version. However stuff that's grayed out it is handy to be able to go right to the store.

One minor quibble. They've been playing the hell out of Chemical Brothers - Go. I went to add it, not on the service. No problem. Except no link to the Store either. So o go to the store and search. Pre-order, get the songs now. That's fine, but why wasn't it linked? Same thing with Halsey - New Americana. Great song, but you can't do shit to get to the store. That's a little trickier though because that song isn't even for download on the store. Apparently pre-orders will get it starting Friday.

Toa TAK

Banned
Toa - not quite sure what you're asking, but it is impossible to make a purchase inside of the music app. Anything you add is just added to your My Music. If you cancel your sub you lose access to all of the added stuff. You still can make purchases from iTunes as always and it adds to your library as always. Hit the ... next to a song and select View In Store.

You nailed my question. Thank you!

Quasar

Well that's that. I've turned off auto-renew. So sick and tired of my inability to upload my music to iCloud.

Maybe one day if they fix this mess I'll give it another try.

You're right that we're definitely in the minority, but for me, I won't consider moving to Match until Apple offers lossless audio tracks. Sound quality is really important to me and their AAC files just aren't good enough. So without a garden path into their walled garden, they had better continue to offer features for non-cloud playback.

tmdorsey

Can someone explain to me the case where iTunes will give you the option to keep the file on disk when you delete a song from the library? Right now it seems that deleting a file with a status of "Apple Music" deletes it from disk without giving me the option to keep the original file.

A few songs I've tried to add to My Music and/or playlist may show up on my phone, but don't show up in iTunes.

Such as the new single from Eminem "Phenomenal" won't stay on my playlist, or be added to the album section of "My Music".

Anyone else?

holygeesus

Banned
Well that's that. I've turned off auto-renew. So sick and tired of my inability to upload my music to iCloud.

Maybe one day if they fix this mess I'll give it another try.

I finally settled on just storing locally the albums that refuse to be matched in the cloud, as my head was likely to explode trying to figure it out, until a time where they sort it. Having to use a few MB of my iPhone storage space is a small price to pay for my sanity.

Chuckl3s

Stupid question....How do I add songs to a playlist via iTunes? Using of course Apple Music streaming. It only lets me look up music I already have or through the iTunes store. Or is this just an app thing?

Partition

Banned
Okay another question: almost certain the shuffle mechanic appears to be broken, at least on playlists. I click the the Shuffle button above the first song on the playlist, which seems to automatically activate the shuffle button below the song. I notice after around 10 or so songs some of the same songs will come on shuffle, without it playing every song on my playlist first (close to 80 tracks on the playlist). Very annoying. If I turn off the shuffle button below the song it starts playing the tracks in order.

number11

Anyone else have the problem when adding playlists.. If the playlist features a song already in your library, it creates a duplicate. It happens on both uploaded and matched songs.

With all the problems I'm having with this.. In tempted to scrap half my library and replace everything with Apple Music versions.

Number45

Anyone else have the problem when adding playlists.. If the playlist features a song already in your library, it creates a duplicate. It happens on both uploaded and matched songs.

With all the problems I'm having with this.. In tempted to scrap half my library and replace everything with Apple Music versions.
Pretty much what I've done for now, moved my library elsewhere to see how I get on with it. I don't really need the entire library in iTunes anyway - I'll just move in those items that aren't on Apple Music when I want them.

borghe

Okay another question: almost certain the shuffle mechanic appears to be broken, at least on playlists. I click the the Shuffle button above the first song on the playlist, which seems to automatically activate the shuffle button below the song. I notice after around 10 or so songs some of the same songs will come on shuffle, without it playing every song on my playlist first (close to 80 tracks on the playlist). Very annoying. If I turn off the shuffle button below the song it starts playing the tracks in order.
I just shuffled a playlist with 198 songs and the 25 Up Next had no replays showing.

Do you have the same song(s) actually in the playlist multiple times? This can be confusing for people especially with large playlists. Playlists are ordered manually by you. How you add and move songs is EXACTLY the order they will be in the playlist. What sometimes happens with large playlists is people forget that they added a song and want to add it to the playlist (again) thinking iTunes will just add it if it isn't already there. However iTunes will add it as a new duplicate entry if it's there. Add it 4 times and you have 4 entries in the playlist. On shuffle each of those entries counts as a valid shuffle. So I'd look at that first. If you create a playlist with the same file 20 times, shuffle would play all 20 entries before it repeated. It's the same song 20 times but mechanically they're different.

Yeah.... Unless the track is a verbatim match to one you have, this happens.... You're stuck with needing to clean it up on your own. Unfortunately this means you have to copy the playlist you added. The downside of "subscribing" to curated playlists.

Can someone explain to me the case where iTunes will give you the option to keep the file on disk when you delete a song from the library? Right now it seems that deleting a file with a status of "Apple Music" deletes it from disk without giving me the option to keep the original file.
This option only comes up for music you own. Apple Music files (m4p protected files) will be deleted from disk if you remove them. I suppose you could go inside the app bundle and manually copy the file out beforehand, but I'm not sure what that would buy you. It will still be protected and still need to be played through iTunes or QuickTime that is logged in with the exact same AppleID with a valid Music sub.

Quasar

So those of you also on the fence:

What does Apple Music need to do better to get your monthly donation?

Though I'm off the fence for now, my main gripe is with uploading to iCloud. I much, much prefer googles approach which totally solves all the fuckups match has. My hassles with this alone killed my interest.

Sure theres other stuff that would be nice, like a decent jpop catalogue and the ability to browse/follow user playlists but integrating my music with apples is a dealbreaker. Same reason I never paid for spotify.

So it seems to me, in its current UX, Apple Music is an incredible Music Discovery service between For You and Beats 1, but not a music streaming service/personal music playback app. Yes, the app can do both of those things, but personal music playback is relegated to its own small corner of the app, and meanwhile, Apple makes it a pain to add music to your library for streaming. (Hear a song you like? Heart the song AND add it to your library, but hell, you might as well buy it, but good luck getting from Apple Music to the iTunes Store).

The problem is, I don't know if I'm willing to pay $10-$15 for Music Discovery only, especially when Music Discovery is a marketing tool to help you purchase music in the first place.

Be on Android.
Be on PS4.

I would also like to see this come to PS4 and other platforms (and for the Windows experience to not be shit).

Swag

nVkI4PK.png

I don't understand why I can't add music to my queue from here without having to go into the album view that the song is on.

Enco

1. Redo the UI. It's all over the place, cluttered, ugly, and unintuitive
2. Make it 100x easier to save songs and add them to playlists
3. Create auto playlists like 'Starred' (the smart playlists feature is NOT a suitable alternative)
4. Fix the shit that is iCloud syncing
5. Add the missing songs that I like

Point 1 is by far the most important. The bloat is ridiculous and I have to say Apple have been really disappointing software wise since Apple Maps.

borghe

Stupid question....How do I add songs to a playlist via iTunes? Using of course Apple Music streaming. It only lets me look up music I already have or through the iTunes store. Or is this just an app thing?

on OSX/Windows? Stupid question, but do you have iCloud Music Library turned on? On iTunes (same with iOS), you need iCloud Music Library turned on to add songs to your library/playlists. If you leave that turned off, you'll only be able to play songs and playlists directly from Apple Music.

2. Make it 100x easier to save songs and add them to playlists
3. Create auto playlists like 'Starred' (the smart playlists feature is NOT a suitable alternative)
Could you explain 2? Adding a song to My Music is currently two taps. Adding it to a playlist is 3 taps, and you don't even need those two taps to add it to your library first. Not sure how they could make that any easier. I guess "1 and 2 taps", but that still doesn't match up with the severity of your "100x" statement.

Also, for 3, why/how isn't a smart playlist a suitable alternative. It literally does exactly what you stated. In what way is that not suitable (or in fact different than what you described?)

Point 1 is by far the most important. The bloat is ridiculous and I have to say Apple have been really disappointing software wise since Apple Maps.

I disagree on the software part. I don't think anyone thought Apple Maps was poor software quality, just poor mapping/routing/POI data at launch and missing key features (transit and walking). Now Music does have SERIOUS SERIOUS issues. I would probably not call it a good software product :( But Apple as a whole is still making tight, well designed software (outside of Music). Beyond Maps, first impressions of the new News app have been overwhelmingly positive also.

I mean I should reiterate that Music is really fucking rough (actually frustrating on my iPad Air 1), but I still feel that's an exception to Apple's current standard software quality, not the norm (which is what makes it even more god damn frustrating)

I don't understand why I can't add music to my queue from here without having to go into the album view that the song is on.

Do you mean Up Next?

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
The fact Shazam has a button that takes you directly from your result to the song's Apple Music page is so deliciously convenient.

Every day when I log into this service it's something else. Today, in "My Music," under "Recently Added," Apple Music arbitrarily decided to move some albums I bought a month ago back to the top of the list, and made doubles of every song! Why? Who the hell knows? I haven't even listened to some of these in over a week so why today are they all the sudden at the top of the list, above music I just added yesterday?

I like to keep things organized. This is the opposite. I wish I could undo all this Apple Music shit. I wonder if I unsubscribe now, will it just delete everything I've added to my library and make it all just go away? That's what I want at this point.

C3eu0da.png

borghe

Every day when I log into this service it's something else. Today, in "My Music," under "Recently Added," Apple Music arbitrarily decided to move some albums I bought a month ago back to the top of the list, and made doubles of every song! Why? Who the hell knows? I haven't even listened to some of these in over a week so why today are they all the sudden at the top of the list, above music I just added yesterday?

I like to keep things organized. This is the opposite. I wish I could undo all this Apple Music shit. I wonder if I unsubscribe now, will it just delete everything I've added to my library and make it all just go away? That's what I want at this point.

More than likely, somehow the Apple Music "versions" of those albums were added. If you view by song, and show the iCloud Status, I'm betting that each duplicate, one will say matched (or similar) and the other will say Apple Music. You should just be able to highlight and delete the Apple Music copies.

Kammie

- Not overwrite my own songs with whatever they feel matches my tracks, and if it does, let me override it
- Allow me to control sync uploads (currently doesn't happen and I have nothing syncing despite having 15k unmatched tracks)
- Allow me to make playlists without adding to my collection

None of this is going to happen of course, so I'll be canceling after the three months are up.

Partition

Banned
I just shuffled a playlist with 198 songs and the 25 Up Next had no replays showing.

Do you have the same song(s) actually in the playlist multiple times? This can be confusing for people especially with large playlists. Playlists are ordered manually by you. How you add and move songs is EXACTLY the order they will be in the playlist. What sometimes happens with large playlists is people forget that they added a song and want to add it to the playlist (again) thinking iTunes will just add it if it isn't already there. However iTunes will add it as a new duplicate entry if it's there. Add it 4 times and you have 4 entries in the playlist. On shuffle each of those entries counts as a valid shuffle. So I'd look at that first. If you create a playlist with the same file 20 times, shuffle would play all 20 entries before it repeated. It's the same song 20 times but mechanically they're different

Just checked, no duplicates https://itunes.apple.com/us/playlist/its-hot/idpl.50d58f5b69014a0b854b18df7dc1159c

However there has been times where I would add a song and it would be nowhere to be found in the playlist, so I would add it again. If there are duplicates then they are hidden

If I were Apple, I would either start addressing the UI feedback as soon as possible, and have 8.4.1 out within a month, or extend the free trail periods for everyone until iOS 9 comes out, and include the Apple Music UI update there.

borghe

Just checked, no duplicates https://itunes.apple.com/us/playlist/its-hot/idpl.50d58f5b69014a0b854b18df7dc1159c

However there has been times where I would add a song and it would be nowhere to be found in the playlist, so I would add it again. If there are duplicates then they are hidden

just looked at it on iOS. A few things

1. only shows up with 72 songs. Is this correct? If it's not, you most likely have non-Music content in your playlist (not-Matched) , so double check that content.
2. If you're on iOS, check to see if you have "Show Songs Available Offline" turned on. That could hide songs from showing up on this list (though would also prevent them from playing I believe)
3. Damn dude, that's some nice music. Still a bit too big of a playlist for my taste, but super props to War on Drugs on there...

If I were Apple, I would either start addressing the UI feedback as soon as possible, and have 8.4.1 out within a month, or extend the free trail periods for everyone until iOS 9 comes out, and include the Apple Music UI update there.

yeah, IMHO they really hurt themselves by bundling the app into the OS.. ultimately you are right. They NEED to get an update out as soon as possible, meaning they're going to need to get 8.4.1 out as soon as possible.

tmdorsey

This option only comes up for music you own. Apple Music files (m4p protected files) will be deleted from disk if you remove them. I suppose you could go inside the app bundle and manually copy the file out beforehand, but I'm not sure what that would buy you. It will still be protected and still need to be played through iTunes or QuickTime that is logged in with the exact same AppleID with a valid Music sub.

These files are my files/music I own. These are songs that during the uploading process were given a status of "Apple Music" instead of "Matched" or "Uploaded". If I go to "Get Info" on my Mac, I can see it referencing the mp3 on disk. Whenever I delete one these files, it definitely removes the song from disk without giving me the option to save. After losing a couple of files, I started copying the files out before hand like you suggested.

iOS 9 will come out mid-Sept, so should be out well before anyone's trial ends.

borghe

These files are my files/music I own. These are songs that during the uploading process were given a status of "Apple Music" instead of "Matched" or "Uploaded". If I go to "Get Info" on my Mac, I can see it referencing the mp3 on disk. Whenever I delete one these files, it definitely removes the song from disk without giving me the option to save. After losing a couple of files, I started copying the files out before hand like you suggested.

ok, yeah I am unfamiliar with matching through Music (I have a Match subscription). Not sure why it's assigning a status of Apple Music to your matched files. But it's only some of them? So you do have files that show up as Matched?

Top Bottom