• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple to hold iPhone 4 press conference this Friday

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pctx

Banned
Minsc said:
Interesting take on Apple's speech here.

All in all, sounds pretty decent way of handling the media.
..even when the two antennas are bridged by your hand

FOR FUCKS SAKE...... It does not take an engineer or even an intern... it takes someone off the street with a laptop and a wikipedia link to tell you this is a bad idea.... :lol

If Apple came up with this bullshit to support their position.... That is extremely twisted logic for the masses.

Pctx said:
FOR FUCKS SAKE...... It does not take an engineer or even an intern... it takes someone off the street with a laptop and a wikipedia link to tell you this is a bad idea.... :lol

Come on Apple.... You disappoint the masses with this twisted logic.
Apple didn't write that, bro.

Pctx

Banned
Liu Kang Baking A Pie said:
Apple didn't write that, bro.
Yes I know. Speculation but if they even hint at that it goes to show you their mentality of arrogance when it comes to being right.

Pctx said:
Yes I know. Speculation but if they even hint at that it goes to show you their mentality of arrogance when it comes to being right.
But they haven't had the conference yet. So you blasting them for a potential future statement is weird.

Pctx

Banned
28o9xi.png

But they haven't had the conference yet. So you blasting them for a potential future statement is weird.
Liu Kang Baking a Pie is wierd to me, but you don't see me blasting that do you? Cutting through the bullshit it is a problem with the design of which they are fixing it. They were wrong and made a miscalculation, nothing more, nothing less. When they don't own up to that, people see that for what its worth.

Blackhead

Redarse
borghe said:
both assumptions are as equally unfounded and based in separate conspiracies. neither seems more plausible than the other without actually wanting one to be true.
Er, neither is unfounded:
  • the case business is lucrative. That's a good a reason as any for a company to enter a market. It's not like it's the first time Apple is offering accessories of their products to make money.
  • Apple was quick to draw out the 'buy a bumper' response to the antenna complaints. Indeed, the 'hold it differently', 'every phone has this problem' and 'use a case' solutions already seemed scripted when delivered.

Seems like good starting points to build a theory for why Apple started selling bumpers. What would you consider to be a plausible reason? And what foundation would you rest that guess on?

By the way, any action by Apple here is by definition a conspiracy. Jobs and his minions, er, employees, gathering around in secret (ie a board meeting) to decide on making a case and selling it at usurious prices—a nefarious purpose—sounds like a conspiracy to me. Not sure why you used that weasel word...

Mudkips said:
A condom is a case? A ziplock bag is a case?

If Apple made a case that covered the back we'd still have the "wacky conspiracy theories", because the simple fact is that Apple touted their antenna design as a marvel of engineering, then released an accessory case that covered them up.

The ability of whatever case Apple sells to act as a case is irrelevant. The bumper is a shitty case - the most vulnerable thing (the screen) isn't protected. The bumper is, however, a good hack to circumvent the design flaw, which happens to be the topic at hand.

I do. Software can't fix it. We've heard from plenty of experts who have explained the fucking problem, just as I have explained it on day fucking one. The antenna is detuned. You have to readjust it's electrical length to fix it. You can do this with a variable capacitor (hardware) and software to manage it. This solution works well for calibration in fixed installations, and pretty terribly for on-the-fly adjustment with human factors in a battery powered device.
God, fuck new avatars, I accidentally read half of this post before I realized who wrote it.

RBC Capital Markets

Analyst Mike Abramsky noted that the iPhone 4 now has an availability of 3 weeks, up from a shipping time of 7 to 10 days from a few days ago, which could imply a transition in production.

"While some have suggested Apple could provide cases or bumpers, in our view Apple may prefer to more permanently resolve the perceived issue, to avoid ongoing impacts to reputation and brand," Abramsky wrote.

If Apple does institute a recall, it would likely impact the timing of the international launch of the iPhone 4, he said, which is planned to debut in 18 additional countries by the end of July, and a total of 88 by the end of September. He sees a recall costing Apple $1.8 billion in revenue and 40 percent earnings per share in its fourth-quarter guidance.

"We believe Apple will do whatever is necessary to correct the perceived iPhone 4 reception problem," he said. "While the fix may come at some cost, Apple with its $42B cash and $16B/yr cashflow can easily afford it. Apple customer loyalty is deep and resilient, and in our view, we expect iPhone 4 demand to rebound quickly. What could change our view is if Apple is perceived as handling the issue badly, the issue is protracted, or sales/financial impact worse than expected."

Piper Jaffray

Analyst Gene Munster with Piper Jaffray still maintains that a recall is unlikely, but he does believe that a hardware modification is more realistic given the fact that Apple is now holding a formal event.

"It is increasingly likely that the company will make an investment in the brand and calm the PR storm by offering current iPhone owners an in-store fix free of charge," he wrote. "Specifically, we now believe there is a 50% chance the company offers a free modification to current iPhone owners and includes the modification on all future iPhone 4s."

The change would likely result in a disruption of iPhone 4 sales for one month in the September quarter, he said, as the company would need to modify and re-stock phones before it sold them. Munster had previously forecast Apple to sell 9.5 million phones in the September quarter, but he believes those numbers would take a 12 percent hit in the event of a hardware modification.

A full recall, Munster believes, would cost Apple $1 billion in a one-time charge. He believes replacing every iPhone previously sold would present an average cost of $250 per handset to the company.

Munster also sees a 40 percent chance that Apple gives away bumper cases that resolve the reception issue. The rubber cases retail for $29. He said there is a 10 percent chance that Apple will explain the issue and do nothing.

"Despite these issues, consumers love the iPhone 4," he wrote. "Ultimately we believe Apple will manage these issues in a consumer-friendly way and maintain its pristine brand."

UBS

Maynard Um also believes a recall is unlikely to be announced by Apple on Friday. Such an approach, the UBS analyst said, would result in the immediate halt of iPhone 4 sales by Apple and its carrier partners.

He said if the solution presented by Apple is straight-forward, some may wonder why Apple didn't just choose to announce it through a press release. Given the considerable media attention the issue has received, Um said that just isn't an option for Apple.

"We believe an event is necessary as a press release to address what has become a 'loud' issue would likely have drawn more ire," he said.

Um sees the toll the news has taken on Apple's stock as a buying opportunity for investors. UBS has a $320 price target set for AAPL stock.

http://www.appleinsider.com/article...n_prospect_of_iphone_4_recall_from_apple.html

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Kano On The Phone said:
God, fuck new avatars, I accidentally read half of this post before I realized who wrote it.
What would happen if Astrolad were to change avatars one day? :lol

evil ways

It's really not going to be something this simple. They gave original iPhone owners $200 in Apple space bucks without a press conference.

We're getting new phones.

What was the reason for that? Did the first iPhone come with a defect?

Minsc

Gold Member
575MB download for a 1kb signal unlock key. Apple is truly catching on to how make things work these days!

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
DeathbyVolcano said:
If there's new phones announced, you think they'll let iPhone 4 users swap them? That's pretty fucking generous.
It's not generous if the phone you're about to replace has a significant technical problem that the new one hasn't.

This won't be a recall but Apple is going to offer a voluntary hardware fix. A slightly revised hardware design will then be released for all future orders.

Tobor

Minsc said:
575MB download for a 1kb signal unlock key. Apple is truly catching on to how make things work these days!
It's all or nothing with the firmware, always has been. That said, they've never had to do an incremental emergency update before now, so its never mattered. :lol

Tobor

animlboogy said:
Haven't they? I swear iOS 3 had an update shortly after release to fix a few smaller problems.
Hmmm. Yeah, you might be right. It hasn't happened enough to be a big deal, that's for sure.

Mines already finished. My bars are large and in charge! :lol

AirBrian

Tobor said:
It's all or nothing with the firmware, always has been. That said, they've never had to do an incremental emergency update before now, so its never mattered. :lol
I thought they did on iOS 3? I can't remember for what though.

EDIT: Beaten.

If they do a hardware revision, I wonder how long it'll be before I can just go buy an iPhone with that revision. Couldn't find a damn phone the first two weeks, and then this antenna thing wound up being way more significant than I thought. Now we're looking at mid-August before I'll be able to junk my goddamn 3G.

LCfiner

well, just downloaded 4.0.1 and updated my 3gs. my previous completely 5 bar apartment is now a mix of 3 and 4 bars.

Mudkips

Banned
Kano On The Phone said:

I'm right, you're wrong, hate me more, I feed off of it.

human5892 said:
Can you imagine Woz emailing customers like Jobs does? He'd make Jobs look like the planet's number one PR man.

Chairman85 said:
Woz is quite the attention whore recently.

I guess people aren't familiar with The Woz.
He's Apple's version of Joe Lieberman.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
My apartment currently gets me about 1 bar, so I'm expecting the update to reveal that I actually couldn't make any calls this whole time, and any conversations I've had up to this point were imaginary.

human5892 said:
My apartment currently gets me about 1 bar, so I'm expecting the update to reveal that I actually couldn't make any calls this whole time, and any conversations I've had up to this point were imaginary.

Yes, life before the update was purely a hallucination or what Apple calls an iMirage.

giga

human5892 said:
iPhoneSignal_both.jpg

Tobor

Mudkips said:
I guess people aren't familiar with The Woz.
He's Apple's version of Joe Lieberman.
I guess you arent familiar with Woz. He's the tech blogs version of Charles Nelson Reilly. He's center square.

Woz is awesome, I love the guy. His Apple II design was an absolute masterpiece, but the guy hasn't been relevant to Apple in two decades. He's a bored rich guy you go to for a funny quote about Apple.

Tobor said:
I guess you arent familiar with Woz. He's the tech blogs version of Charles Nelson Reilly. He's center square.

Woz is awesome, I love the guy. His Apple II design was an absolute masterpiece, but the guy hasn't been relevant to Apple in two decades. He's a bored rich guy you go to for a funny quote about Apple.

I want to be a bored rich guy

Tobor said:

Sounds like Joe Lieberman to me... Except replace Apple with Democrats.

LCfiner

hey, you guys wanna hear about Woz and his totally wacky yellow lasers for an hour?

No?

TOO BAD!

that was a horribly awkward 'twit' episode several years ago

Talon

Tobor said:

He doesn't use credit cards, so he carries around $10,000 in cash with him at all times.

Woz is absolutely brilliant, but the epitome of the crazy nerd. Love the guy. :lol

EDIT: Apparently folks aren't familiar with the Woz. He's an incredibly friendly and nice guy. He's refused a few times to cut in line at launch events. The one time he did (maybe he did other times), he asked those in front of him if it's alright for him to do so.

He's just very cooky and eccentric. He took the governor off of Segways and was a part of a Segway Polo league. He modifies lasers. Etc.

Mudkips

Banned
Tobor said:

And what is Joe Lieberman?
Think real hard about this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom