• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

April Wrasslin |OT| DO DO, DO DO DO-DO-DO, DO-DO-DO, DO-DOOOOO DO-DO

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I have to admit... I'm a Flash Norton mark. He was one of the few wrestlers I even bothered to follow on twitter at one point. All he talked about was watching the Vikings, going to the gym and eating a ton of food. I was pretty jealous.

He's awesome. He's always been awesome too.

Watching New Japan 'Wrestling Dontaku 1993' - I was really looking forward to seeing Sting vs Scott Norton, but what an unmitigated disaster of a match this one turned out to be. Norton takes a low-dropkick that sends him through the ropes a minute into the match, but he traps his leg beneath him as he rolls out onto the stage and legit fucks his knee up. He tries to carry on, but it quickly becomes obvious that he's not going to be hitting any of his power moves with a busted wheel. The ref palms him a blade and then Norton & Sting brawl to the floor, where Norton does a ridiculous blade job that sees him pissing blood within seconds. He gets back in and Sting tries to salvage the match, but there's blood everywhere, all over Sting's arms, all over Norton's gear and Norton appears to be getting seriously woozy from the amount of blood he's losing. Norton tries this really inadvisable spot where Sting's on the floor and Norton leans over the ropes, grabs him by the throat and lifts him onto the mat, before hitting a back suplex - this was obviously one of their planned spots and Sting hulks out of the suplex and screams, showing his fighting spirit to the crowd, but Norton's just fucking laying there, clutching his leg. He finally gets back up and tries to lock up, but he's stumbling all over the place. The ref backs him into a corner and we get a close up with an official telling Norton they're going to stop the match, Norton saying OK and then acting crazy mad when the bell rings. He half heartedly beats up the ref and the New Japan young lions hit the ring, so he starts throwing potatoes while Sting walks to the back, looking vaguely disgusted.

If I recall correctly, this was supposed to be a run-through of sorts for their match at WCW Slamboree 1993, but since Norton fucked his leg up, he couldn't work the show. So naturally WCW freaked out and dug up Nailz to throw in there with Sting for one night. Then Vince almost sued WCW because they owned the "Nailz" gimmick and it was exactly the same except for the fact they simply called him "The Prisoner".

JustinBB7

Watching Hall Of Fame, Foley get's like 2 minutes? Booker get's a recap.. why can't they just get 2 hours and skip the movies or make them shorter. They already aired during the regular shows anyway..

This years class was too big with too many people that needed a lot more time.

If I recall correctly, this was supposed to be a run-through of sorts for their match at WCW Slamboree 1993, but since Norton fucked his leg up, he couldn't work the show. So naturally WCW freaked out and dug up Nailz to throw in there with Sting for one night. Then Vince almost sued WCW because they owned the "Nailz" gimmick and it was exactly the same except for the fact they simply called him "The Prisoner".

Oh yeah, I remember reading about WWF flipping out over that - never saw the match, I imagine it was pretty horrid, though.

Toki767

Watching Hall Of Fame, Foley get's like 2 minutes? Booker get's a recap.. why can't they just get 2 hours and skip the movies or make them shorter. They already aired during the regular shows anyway..

This years class was too big with too many people that needed a lot more time.

They want you to buy the WrestleMania DVD.

jmdajr

I guess I missed these

2013-04-05-gi-rock.jpg

You know this is funny, because this was basically how Sgt. Slaughter was in the cartoon series. He would ONLY show up in the big episodes.

I'd be like : "HOLY SHIT IT'S SGT. SLAUGHTER!"

If you only knew how disappointed I was when I saw how unbuff he was in real life... and then soon to be Iraqi/Saddam supporter.

edit: and I think initially you couldn't buy the figure in stores either! Mail in only!

Oh yeah, I remember reading about WWF flipping out over that - never saw the match, I imagine it was pretty horrid, though.

So naturally, WCW almost got sued again later in the year when they brought in The Big Bossman and had him exactly the same except for calling him "The Boss".

Mr. Robot

Those of you who are aware of the issue I had on WM night with the Sports Bar we went to basically using an internet stream... General Manager phoned me, discussed the issue, apologised, and has offered the group a £300 bar tab for whenever we went. Almost fell of my seat.

I wouldn't take it, you just don't mess with the people that handle your drinks/food.

Johnz

Neo Member
Nothing about that shit is funny. It's just 'hey this is what happens!' that's the joke for them. There is no punchline.

It's the Robot Chicken of wrestling.

Funny is subjective..it might be easy humor..but it's still humor. It's just basically here's a farce now laugh at it kind of deal that's very one note. All too common with webcomics, and in particular topical ones.

strobogo

Banned
To be fair I thought Rock did a lot better in his rematch than the first time around. I felt like he actually tried to have a good match.

Are you talking about his rematch with Punk? It was pretty good, much better than the Rumble match. You can't be talking about Twice in a Lifetime, because that might have been the worst match of Rock's career. He and Cena had zero energy or enthusiasm, Rock looked bored even before whatever injuries came up, Cena had a BROKEN FREAKIN THUMB! and was trying not to shit himself. It was a terrible match. It's right up there with worst WM main event of all time. There have been 29 of them, and that's for sure in the top 3.

Also, Scott Norton was the fucking man in the nWo just destroying jobbers and cruiserweights with ridiculous clotheslines, powerbombs, and the most awesome shoulder breaker of all time. I used him probably the most in WCW/NWO Revenge, with AKI man being the only guy close to him. He's a dude that I never wanted to see in a 25 minute match, but loved to see in a 7 minute big man bomb throwing sprint or short and crushing squash matches.

jmdajr

Are you talking about his rematch with Punk? It was pretty good, much better than the Rumble match. You can't be talking about Twice in a Lifetime, because that might have been the worst match of Rock's career. He and Cena had zero energy or enthusiasm, Rock looked bored even before whatever injuries came up, Cena had a BROKEN FREAKIN THUMB! and was trying not to shit himself. It was a terrible match. It's right up there with worst WM main event of all time. There have been 29 of them, and that's for sure in the top 3.

Can't say I agree with any of that, and I was there live. Maybe it came across different on TV, or some of you folks are reaching.

mooooose

Rock vs Cena came across really awesome live (especially the end) and absolutely horrible on TV. I watched it when I got home Monday and it was not the match I remembered at all. And the crowd reaction was huge during the end, but watching it you would never know.

jmdajr

Rock vs Cena came across really awesome live (especially the end) and absolutely horrible on TV. I watched it when I got home Monday and it was not the match I remembered at all. And the crowd reaction was huge during the end, but watching it you would never know.

As long as I'm not totally crazy.

strobogo

Banned
Yeah, it came across completely dead on screen, I guess because the crowd was muted a bit maybe. And both guys looked like they were putting zero effort in, and then the 15 minutes of finisher/finisher/reversal/reversal/finisher/reversal/reversal/reversal/finsher/finisher/finisher/reversal/LOLCENAWINS was so bad.

jmdajr

Yeah, it came across completely dead on screen, I guess because the crowd was muted a bit maybe. And both guys looked like they were putting zero effort in, and then the 15 minutes of finisher/finisher/reversal/reversal/finisher/reversal/reversal/reversal/finsher/finisher/finisher/reversal/LOLCENAWINS was so bad.

Meh Austin/Rock had a lot of that, it's just execution really. I can't hold shit against some performers and not others.

Cagey

Banned

To be honest, it came across like that live, to me anyway. Other than some booing and "PLEASE TURN HEEL" chants, there was little excitement.

Not even a close up of Rocky saying "get the fuck up motherfucker" got the crowd going.

mooooose

It was great live. One of the best, most exciting moments, of the night.
To be honest, it came across like that live, to me anyway. Other than some booing and "PLEASE TURN HEEL" chants, there was little excitement.

Not even a close up of Rocky saying "get the fuck up motherfucker" got the crowd going.
With the stadium being so big, excitement was sectional. My section was so hyped.

jmdajr

It's not like they were sitting on their hands either with criquets. It just wasn't taker/Punk.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member

I was there live and the match was HORRENDOUS live. Pretty sure I even posted "holy shit how bad was that main event?" in the Wrestlemania thread from the line for the train. I don't remember any "huge" crowd reaction at the end either. I remember a pop for the finish followed instantly by a very large percentage of the audience filing out.

The crowd response was at least better than HHH-Brock, though. That much is true.

jmdajr

I was there live and the match was HORRENDOUS live. Pretty sure I even posted "holy shit how bad was that main event?" in the Wrestlemania thread from the line for the train. I don't remember any "huge" crowd reaction at the end either. I remember a pop for the finish followed instantly by a very large percentage of the audience filing out.

Well if they hate Cena and Rock, why would they stay? Like they are going to give you a fair description of anything.

He's gonna get Gangnam Styled if they are not careful. But heck, I guess you have to ride it.

This always depends on the ability and charisma of the wrestler. Sometimes goofy gimmicks or dances get briefly popular in an ironic way (Norman Smiley?) but if the wrestler is legitimately good he'll stay a fan (or at least smark) favorite.

There's no real negative to suddenly catching on like this. Either you're not good and you enjoy some flash-in-the-pan success you wouldn't have had otherwise, or it's a springboard to a long career.

I think on the 1-10 scale, 1 being HHH/Lesnar and 10 being Punk/Taker, Rock/Cena was a solid 3.

I thought HHH/Lesnar was actually pretty enjoyable for the first half then the action died... which is like the opposite of what a wrestling match should be. But after Brock stopped acting like a suplex dinosaur it got real bad real fast.

Pro wrestling confession: I have never been intoxicated while watching a Rock + Cena match. I have not enjoyed them!

I was hoping there would be a control variable. Anyone on any drugs with different results?

jmdajr

I would just like to point out that Triple H didn't get booed like that one Brock fan wished!

Almost like Batista as a face, really. Hyped for the ring entrance, but they get don't hyped for the actual match. HHH vs Jericho, HHH vs Orton, HHH vs Brock. Oh well.

Yeah Trips has never been so super over as a face, except when he's playing it off as a DX member.
Always been better off as a HEEL, but I'm good with whatever really :)

Brock / HHH 2 was also better than the first.

I was drunk for both Rock Cena matches. The first one I enjoyed. This one was no good except for Cena's troll elbow making believe briefly in #heel

Top Bottom