• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

April Wrasslin |OT| DO DO, DO DO DO-DO-DO, DO-DO-DO, DO-DOOOOO DO-DO

Gorillaz

I just realized this after watching Raw again from monday since I was at work for most of it.....

Did Cena actually do a "heel turn" joke because of the "smart crowd" there?..wow

Kaladin

It doesn't say that he got one, just that he demanded one. Very in character for him to be a sore loser and petulant.

images

EDIT: New page. Did I do i right?

No. 100 posts per page, not 50.

gurudyne

I just realized this after watching Raw again from monday since I was at work for most of it.....

Did Cena actually do a "heel turn" joke because of the "smart crowd" there?..wow

Everytime something happens that would please the smarks, he has to rub our noses in it that Cena gonna Cena. Remember:

"I could increase my work rate, add to my 5 moves of Doom, let my heel persona shine through, and CM Punk fans still wouldn't like me!"

No. 100 posts per page, not 50.

I don't have the bandwidth for that many gifs at once.

Slizeezyc

Thank you god?

PS, The Shield was still awesome tonight on Main Event. Kofi takes a straight fist to the face from Ambrose (botched clothesline) and Sweet T and Brodus take triple powerbombs after the match is over. They even sold the danger-level The Shield brings by having the Funkadactyls (SHUCKY DUCKY QUACK QUACK) leave mid-match because of fear for their safety.

Just got done rewatching parts of Raw, forgive me if this has been mentioned already but when Orton was doing his in ring promo he went up to Sheamus and asked point blank, "what's my line?" Funny stuff, the more I watch Mondays raw the better it gets.

Spider from Mars

tap that thorax

Psykotik

i just googled it. apparently:

Ever since the Montreal screwjob, WWE has had "issues" with Canada, partially due to the negative reactions Canadian fans have had to those involved with what happened (such as Earl Hebner and Shawn Michaels).

Several years ago, it got worse.

Vince McMahon decided that most of the Canadian wrestlers would be billed from new American hometowns. Chris Jericho was billed from his birthplace of Manhasset, New York (where his father lived while playing hockey for the New York Rangers) while Edge and Chris Benoit were billed from their then current homes of Tampa, Florida and Atlanta, Georgia, respectively.

Christian, however, was still billed from Toronto, Ontario, Canada.

Canadian sports talk show host Michael Landsberg asked Vince at that time why Christian was the only Canadian in WWE still billed from Canada. Vince said it was simple: Christian was a heel.

Yup, Vince thought that everyone (possibly including Canadians) hated Canadians like he did.

Meanwhile, Canadian fans also started to develop a habit of cheering heels and booing babyfaces. Much of the the time the fans were just cheering Canadian heels and booing their opponents, but it did extend into other matches.

As a reaction to this, Vince started instructing the announcers (mainly Jerry Lawler) to start referring to Canada as "bizarro world," a practice that continues on and off to this day.

UberTag

i have no idea. probably has something to do with Bret Hart.
Nah, Bret's been in Vince's good graces of late.
I'm more inclined it had something to do with Carl DeMarco. He's still had TV tapings in Montreal, after all.

But in general, Canadian crowds don't respond well to being told how to think and who they should cheer for. Vince hates people like that.

i just googled it. apparently:

What was hilarious was that they started doing this at WM20 when Benoit won the title. The next PPV, Backlash, was in Edmonton, so during Benoit's big homecoming with the title, he was announced as from Atlanta, GA. Hahaha

I remember the bar I was in let out a big WTF when Jericho was announced from New York.

Oh man, Sakuraba's elbow after that messed up suplex from Nagata [face_yuck]

I was about to post how much I was enjoying the match cause it was just 4 tough ass guys beating the crap out of each other, then that happens. Feels bad man.

The Canada thing doesn't make sense. NYC, Philly, Chicago and every other wrestling city are no different. It's not like they cheered heels mainly because they're heels. It just so happens most of the heels are usually the best workers.

Like who the hell would cheer Brodus Clay over Punk?

Chicago and Toronto are b-tier after Jersey now.
I disagree. Would Jersey have that type of reaction typically or was it a result of the hardcore wrestling fans that remained behind from Mania?

I went to a Nitro, Raw and WWE house show in Miami, and it was never as crazy as last year after Mania.

I don't really remember the Raw after 27, but this seems to be a developing trend.

Having said that, UK crowds, Chicago, Toronto, Philly are famous for their crowds.

Nakamura/Davey Boy Jr. was a great match. Davey Boy came off looking like a powerhouse and Nakamura's rally at the end was so hype.

Okada/Tanahashi was a fantastic match. The storytelling, and final sequence was top notch.

Glad you enjoyed the main event - easily my match of the year, so far. I loved the work on Okada's arm - some have criticised it, saying it wasn't emotional enough, or that Tanahashi didn't return to working over the arm much, but it wasn't about Tanahashi trying to make Okada tap, it was simply him taking out Okada's best weapon early on in the game and then watching that factor in to the match in a variety of ways. Really excellent in-ring psychology and storytelling and one hell of a performance from both guys. I'm pretty much convinced that Tanahashi is the best in the world today. He's not my favourite, but he's the best regardless.

*edit, incidentally, I thought it was cool that Tanahashi's title run ended so that his combined total days as champion were 1,237 days, just one day behind the record-holding. combined reigns of Keiji Mutoh & The Great Muta at 1,238 days!

why did that happen?

Because Saraya Knight is the nastiest heel in all of women's wrestling - when she comes out she often has to be restrained by security, as she screams and tries to claw at the fans. Mechashiva said something to her before the match she didn't seem too happy with, and then after the match she went straight over to slap him, lol.

*edit, incidentally, I thought it was cool that Tanahashi's title run ended so that his combined total days as champion were 1,237 days, just one day behind the record-holding. combined reigns of Keiji Mutoh & The Great Muta at 1,238 days!

Amazing coincidence, I literally JUST looked up the same stat.

And agreed with Tanahashi being a really great worker. He's not my favorite either, but he's been putting on clinics for a long time against a lot of opponents.

UberTag

And agreed with Tanahashi being a really great worker. He's not my favorite either, but he's been putting on clinics for a long time against a lot of opponents.
So what you're saying is that if he was hired by the WWE, he'd be groomed in NXT for 2-3 years to "learn how to wrestle", given a new name, get elevated to the main roster with an initial mid-card title push then proceed to get jobbed out as enhancement talent for the next 8 years while given a funny Asian stereotype gimmick.

Essentially his job would be to lose to the hulking heel du jour as they get built up so they can job to Cena.

So what you're saying is that if he was hired by the WWE, he'd be groomed in NXT for 2-3 years to "learn how to wrestle", given a new name, get elevated to the main roster with an initial mid-card title push then proceed to get jobbed out for the next 8 years while given a funny Asian stereotype gimmick.

He'd be renamed Ralph Boomer-san and his gimmick would be a Chinese fish salesman who grew up on the rough streets of Saigon and participated in martial art competitions all throughout Korea. Those are all Japanese places, right? His finisher would be "Asian Sterotypebombdriver" and his signature submission would be "Chopsticks."

HA HA THAT GUY SURE IS ASIAN HUH, PAUL? HA HA WHATAMANEUVER

Mechashiva is a wresslegaffer correct?

Maybe

Because Saraya Knight is the nastiest heel in all of women's wrestling - when she comes out she often has to be restrained by security, as she screams and tries to claw at the fans. Mechashiva said something to her before the match she didn't seem too happy with, and then after the match she went straight over to slap him, lol.

I really didn't know about her rep. It was actually my buddy next to her that raised most of her ire before the match. After I was turning my cheek asking for a kiss!

Top Bottom