• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

April Wrasslin |OT| DO DO, DO DO DO-DO-DO, DO-DO-DO, DO-DOOOOO DO-DO

somedevil

Sure was nice of Bully to clear away that table he just fell through.

And then sell a stunner by gently laying himself across the new one.

It was also nice of Bully to fall perfectly in place for the swanton on the table.

edit: That table was in the perfect place.

Brinbe

that table looks perfectly positioned. I wonder what will happen...

HAHAHAHA MY GOD, THESE SPOTS

Props to Hardy for still pulling off this crap like a decade later. But really, wasted on that crowd.

Brinbe

It feels more like Nitro, with A&8 as an off-brand shitty NWO

Just missing the spray paint at this point. And good stable theme.

Ithil

Smackdown-Batista-Mad.png

Alucard

Banned
That match could have been pretty spectacular if it wasn't for the technical difficulties. Bound to run into them when you get foreign objects involved. Still, I'm buying into Aces and Eights a little more now despite the 9 months of garbage buildup for them.

Ithil

I like that TNA are legitimately going for long term stories (Aces & Eights, the AJ Styles Crow Sting thing), though of course, the actual execution is...varied.

Aces & Eights was fairly dull for the majority of the 9 months it was a mystery group, and so far the Crow AJ thing is spinning its wheels.

"Hey AJ what's up with the 'tude?"

"Well, you see-"

SORRY ABOUT YOUR DAMN LUCK

"MY NAME IS JAMES STORM AND I BELIEVE IN SHOUTING. LOTS OF SHOUTING. I AM A COWBOY AND I DRINK BEER. AJ YOU SHOULD LEAVE NOW AND DELAY YOUR STORYLINE FOR AT LEAST ONE MORE WEEK".

But TNA is getting a lot better, all the same.

strobogo

Banned
The real problem with TNA's long term story telling is that they tell NO story for 8 months, and then throw 8 months worth of stuff into 3 weeks.

Ithil

Problem with long term storylines is its really hard to keep them interesting for that long. I'm sick of Crow AJ already.

Well AJ is not quite Sting. He looks less like Crow Sting, the dark warrior, and more like he pulled a bender for a week and is a bit out of sorts.

The real problem with TNA's long term story telling is that they tell NO story for 8 months, and then throw 8 months worth of stuff into 3 weeks.

This. It's an illusion of long term storylines. You get like one inch of progress a week then some badass recap promo video in 8 months that makes the storyline look like an epic.

Alucard

Banned
Meh. Still think TNA is getting better. Gotta say this is the first time in 4 weeks when I felt that Raw was superior to Impact, though.

gurudyne

Problem with long term storylines is its really hard to keep them interesting for that long. I'm sick of Crow AJ already.

Well you can't stick with the same thing for eight months. You either need to use light touches (occasional comments in passing, touching on future opponents in promos months ahead of time) and slowly add more involvement between people until a full feud develops.

OR

You take a character arc and draw it out subtly (lolwrestling--I know) over several feuds. Del Rio learning not to take Ricardo for granted would have been a decent near-mediocre example if they hadn't rushed the end to build up that lackluster Mania match.

Alucard

Banned
This. It's an illusion of long term storylines. You get like one inch of progress a week then some badass recap promo video in 8 months that makes the storyline look like an epic.

You mean like how Cena's LIFE GOT TURNED UPSIDE DOWN DUE TO THE ROCK?! How The Rock caused Cena's divorce and caused him to go into a year-long TAIL SPIN?! I FELT THAT TENSION, MAN! FOR ONE WHOLE YEAR! THE VIDEO PACKAGE WAS SUPER INTENSE!

Both companies do this shit, and when it's edited in a music video, it DOES feel much more epic than fans who have actually been paying attention to the lame slow build know that's not the case.

Well you can't stick with the same thing for eight months. You either need to use light touches (occasional comments in passing, touching on future opponents in promos months ahead of time) and slowly add more involvement between people until a full feud develops.

OR

You take a character arc and draw it out subtly (lolwrestling--I know) over several feuds. Del Rio learning not to take Ricardo for granted would have been a decent near-mediocre example if they hadn't rushed the end to build up that lackluster Mania match.

Yeah. That's the real problem in TNA, what you get is "well we want AJ to win the title at Bound For Glory against Bully, so lets have him be depressed and shit until he realises his true calling and challenges Bully". Which is cool, but then you have 8 months with a handful of meaningful progressions.

It's better than just pretending Cena had a bad year, I guess.

You mean like how Cena's LIFE GOT TURNED UPSIDE DOWN DUE TO THE ROCK?! How The Rock caused Cena's divorce and caused him to go into a year-long TAIL SPIN?! I FELT THAT TENSION, MAN! FOR ONE WHOLE YEAR! THE VIDEO PACKAGE WAS SUPER INTENSE!

Both companies do this shit, and when it's edited in a music video, it DOES feel much more epic than fans who have actually been paying attention to the lame slow build know that's not the case.

At least TNA has some semblance of planning to the angles. The WWE will straight up lay the entire feud on the shoulders of their video editor to make fans think anything of significance happened. The Rock/Cena video was embarrassing.

Ithil

Still seems better than WWE story telling.

WWE's style is to jam 1 month's of story into one week, then forget they did it the next and do nothing, then two weeks later its the go-home show to a PPV so they do a different month's worth of story in one week.

This is only for the World titles. The rest of the show doesn't get stories.

McNei1y

WWE's style is to jam 1 month's of story into one week, then forget they did it the next and do nothing, then two weeks later its the go-home show to a PPV so they do a different month's worth of story in one week.

This is only for the World titles. The rest of the show doesn't get stories.

There stories really do suck nowadays. It was nice to see actual "feuds" start last summer rather than squash after squash... but there's nothing behind some of these random feuds.

Alucard

Banned
So, serious question...after his re-match with Del Rio, who does Ziggler feud with? Swagger? Or...dare I say it...DANIEL BRYAN?

strobogo

Banned
I doubt it. They're going to have shows like tonight where everything builds up to an episode of Impact for DA RATINGS, which is probably for the best since they have such low buy rates. I feel like if they don't bleed out from all the added expenses, they might do away with PPVs all together next year.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
ROH refs really don't try to kick out the illegal man in a tag match. Red Dragons were using double team moves for a good 3 minutes and the ref didn't have any fucks to give.

That's some bush league shit.

Alucard

Banned
They charge too much for PPVs as is. TNA's just not a financially responsible company at this point. I genuinely hope they gain some traction and more attention from hardcore wrestling fans and newbies alike, but it's tough when the WWE clearly has better production and more history/name value.

Kaladin

ROH refs really don't try to kick out the illegal man in a tag match. Red Dragons were using double team moves for a good 3 minutes and the ref didn't have any fucks to give.

Welcome to indie tag team wrestling.

Alucard

Banned

Dragon Gate is the same. I've just stopped noticing at this point. It REALLY bothered me when I first started watching both promotions, but now I just accept it.

So, serious question...after his re-match with Del Rio, who does Ziggler feud with? Swagger? Or...dare I say it...DANIEL BRYAN?

Cesaro
I doubt it. They're going to have shows like tonight where everything builds up to an episode of Impact for DA RATINGS, which is probably for the best since they have such low buy rates. I feel like if they don't bleed out from all the added expenses, they might do away with PPVs all together next year.

Booking it a month at a time might not be a bad idea.

also long form story telling is hard to do. i gelt chiakra spins it wheels at times as well. but the payoff is usually very satishfyinh(see:archibald peck and assaliant ants face turn)

Top Bottom