• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

April Wrasslin |OT| DO DO, DO DO DO-DO-DO, DO-DO-DO, DO-DOOOOO DO-DO

DeVeAn

So how can I watch RAW if I have FIOS but no cablebox in my room. Doesn't look like Xbox allows it in the FIOS app.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
68927_10200300188681680_2031059976_n.jpg

I have a friend who sometimes watches WWE and thinks it sucks. They're not a fan of monsters in the matches - but aren't completely enamored with high flyers either.

I have two hours to convince my friend to watch NJPW. What would you choose to fill that two hours?

Accessibility, easy transition from WWE style, and quality wrestling. These are the points I want to hit.

Hmmm, that's a tough one, finding matches that hit all three points could be a difficulty, but here's a few from the past year I'd go with;

Hirooki Goto (c) vs Tomohiro Ishii - IWGP Intercontinental Title - (NJPW 05/20/12) - this one isn't the easiest of transitions from the WWE style, as it's clearly going to be two strongstyle powerhouses beating the crap out of each other, but it's a great match nonetheless and, other than a few 'fighting spirit' spots and strike exchanges, it shouldn't be too inaccessible.

Prince Devitt vs PAC - Best of the Super Jr's - (NJPW 06/06/12) - this one's a good choice because it's a pretty compact 15 minute match with a lot of fun stuff from both guys, who are simply two of the best Jr's in the world today. Plus, you can mention that PAC's going to (hopefully) be a future WWE star.

Shinsuke Nakamura (c) vs Davey Boy Smith Jr. - IWGP Intercontinental Title - (NJPW 04/07/13) - fantastic match and probably a good transitioning point from the WWE style, especially if your friend is familiar with Harry Smith.

Kazuchika Okada vs Toru Yano - New Japan Cup - (NJPW 03/23/13) - this match is a lot of fun and doesn't ever drag, plus it illustrates the best of both Okada & Yano.

Hiroshi Tanahashi vs Prince Devitt - (NJPW 03/03/13) - really good mix in this one, with Tanahashi's flashy heavyweight offence matching well to Devitt's speed and athleticism. Also, this one's good for getting over how good Tanahashi is and also shows the roots of Devitt's recent heel turn.

If I had to name one more match, I'd suggest either the recent Tanahashi (c) vs Okada match, or the Tanahashi (c) vs Suzuki match from last year - both are awesome matches, but I'd go with the Okada one if your friend isn't fond of prolonged mat work. You'll probably need to put over Suzuki and his shoot style of wrestling too, and the whole deal with Tanahashi needing to prove that he can wrestle at the level of one of the best wrestlers in Japan, etc.

TheNatural

My Member!
LOL. Punk is done. Basically saying he's getting some time off, asking Ariel if he'll be at the UFC show next week.

Come on over to the dark side mang. Dana will give you an announcing gig, and maybe a novelty fight.

Kaladin

What can they do with Punk after a year+ title reign and attempting to break Undertaker's streak that wouldn't be a disappointment?

And no, they're never going to do a Heyman Guy stable.

Aiii

So not worth it
To be fair, that table bump really did look like it killed him. And he was pretty busted up since last year if the rumors are right. He does deserve some time off.

somedevil

What can they do with Punk after a year+ title reign and attempting to break Undertaker's streak that wouldn't be a disappointment?

And no, they're never going to do a Heyman Guy stable.

This break is not because he is not booked but basically he is falling apart. Meltzer said he is not doing extreme rules. WWE needs him so we will probably see him probably in June or if they are desperate after extreme rules.

Aiii

So not worth it
Is he gonna start a losing streak that will never be beaten!?

That's actually not a terrible idea, have a babyface that's over challenge a new guy ever year and after doing everything he can he ends up losing every year. The reverse Taker, people will buy the PPV just to see the guy finally complete his life goal of getting a victory at WrestleMania. His final attempt can be a retirement match, where he puts his career on the line.

That's actually not a terrible idea, have a babyface that's over challenge a new guy ever year and after doing everything he can he ends up losing every year. The reverse Taker, people will buy the PPV just to see the guy finally complete his life goal of getting a victory at WrestleMania. His final attempt can be a retirement match, where he puts his career on the line.

Brad Maddox!?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Young Bucks...more like the Skinny Shits. Harrumph

Sokantish

Then when it comes time to him to retire, Vince decides he doesn't like him anymore and makes him lose!

TheNatural

My Member!
This break is not because he is not booked but basically he is falling apart. Meltzer said he is not doing extreme rules. WWE needs him so we will probably see him probably in June or if they are desperate after extreme rules.

Great business. Basically work until you can't walk anymore.

WWE has always needed to cut back on their house shows and schedule. They have so much TV these days, they don't need guys working 5, 6 times a week for some podunks in Boise or something. It would probably make the product better as well to give some guys actual time off.

Kaladin

Guys, the Observer is saying this is the current main event for Extreme Rules......seriously:

Gotta have at least one of the three main events rematch at Extreme Rules.

I'm not saying they wouldn't find something for him to do, but whatever they did with him now would be disappointing compared to what they have done with him.

The character needs time off too basically.

neogrup2

Banned
I thought this was some sort of Girl singer, until I came in this thread.

Does the Rock still have a contract with WWE? Or does he just comeback to keep his fans happy?

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
I'm happy if Punk takes time off. I would be happy if more wrestlers had the chance to take time off and heal or rest. They would all last longer and perform better overall if they did.

Absence of his character could also make me fonder of him as well.

you would think Hogan could see someone running toward him with peripheral vision.

If he had normal eyesight sure, but years of exposure has left him with the inability to see anything but the camera and protein shakes.

Sledgehammers are the best shovels.

I'll never support Sledgehammer Knight kickstarter, never.

Hmmm, that's a tough one, finding matches that hit all three points could be a difficulty, but here's a few from the past year I'd go with;

Shinsuke Nakamura (c) vs Davey Boy Smith Jr. - IWGP Intercontinental Title - (NJPW 04/07/13) - fantastic match and probably a good transitioning point from the WWE style, especially if your friend is familiar with Harry Smith.

Having just watched this match less than an hour ago, I would agree. SMith is way better than he gets credit for and Nakamura personality wise just gels with me so much. I like that his offense is full of unorthodox strikes for pro wrestling terms. It reminds me of how DDP has dozens of different ways to hit the Diamond Cutter except in Nakamura's case it's knee strikes

Top Bottom