• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

April Wrasslin |OT| DO DO, DO DO DO-DO-DO, DO-DO-DO, DO-DOOOOO DO-DO

It's kind of funny but you're actually 100% right on the money. If Trips were to finally send Vince packing and drive the WWE into a positive direction (an idea they actually made a TV storyline out of last year), it really would give him a meaningful legacy.

Unfortunately he seems to be too preoccupied with trying to convince us he was as good in the ring as Shawn to bother to try.

i fear only a serious injury would keep Triple H from trying to have that one final classic match.

TheNatural

My Member!
tumblr_mkukvlEK091qjsmfto1_500.jpg

LOL @ Fred Ottman going around to events as the Shockmaster. I hope he just lays facedown on the floor in his booth with his helmet off and then when somebody comes up for a signing he stands up and puts on the helmet and puffs his chest out.

Wow Kevin Nash looks horrible.

somedevil

A few weeks back, Punk had a big blow up with WWE creative and wanted to give his notice to quit the company. He went and worked it out with top WWE officials. At that time, it was decided that Punk wouldn't be working live events anymore, just TV and WrestleMania 29.

Between the backstage problems and severely tearing knee ligaments at WrestleMania, Punk was written off TV this past Monday at RAW. Punk will be fine once he rests up and lets his knees heal. Right now there is no set plan for Punk to return but word is that he won't be back until SummerSlam time.

See you in July Punk. Also, man creative needs to fixed right now.

I remember when Punk was going to give us change, he said he'd make things fun again!
Alas the fuming WWE machine cannot be fixed so easily.

UberTag

all of ryback's tweets got deleted.

burial incoming.
A burial was always incoming. This just ensures Ryback starts jobbing to the likes of R-Truth and Kofi Kingston upon losing every meaningful match in his program with Cena.

I remember when Punk was going to give us change, he said he'd make things fun again!
Over Vince's dead body. Only then.
Then it will be in the capable hands of idiotic daughter, doofus son-in-law and the rest of Vince's stupid family.

Probably posted too:
Punk on the verge of quitting, Rock hurt, and Wrestlemania bombing. RIP WWE.
A new Cena shirt will be released EVERY WEEK in order to make up the difference. See... problem solved!

TheNatural

My Member!
Probably posted too:

It will be a few months before we get an official buyrate for the WrestleMania 29 pay-per-view but F4Wonline.com reports that three different sources this past week stated that very early estimates do not look good. One number being floated around was "downright shocking." WWE's own internal projections were lowered substantially in the final week before the pay-per-view based on the Elimination Chamber buys coming in lower than expected.

Regarding The Rock, there is a lot of concern, or maybe just paranoia, among people within WWE that he will never wrestle again.

we need Nash to make wresting cool again, screw Punk.

finally.

gonna start a kickstarter to get enough money to buy the WCW trademark back from Vince. hire Paul Heyman and Raven as bookers and build the company around Austin Aries.

Kaladin

gonna start a kickstarter to get enough money to buy the WCW trademark back from Vince. hire Paul Heyman and Raven as bookers and build the company around Austin Aries.

Why buy WCW when you can probably get TNA for much cheaper and just hire Heyman to book the talent already there.

Brinbe

hahaha, serves them right. It's a shitty fucking product. Of course, this means they'll just double down on the CeNation now.

Oh well, thankfully, there's lots of quality alternatives out there right now.

we need Nash to make wresting cool again, screw Punk.
I bet those buyrates were through the roof for that Nash and Trips TLC match, the ending to the epic "who sent the text" saga.
I still can't believe such a match happened in 2011.

It'd be funny for all the wrong reasons if Ryback got buried, because then we'd have an even less exciting main event scene which is an achievement in itself.
But I think the Ryback is safe for now.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
hahaha, serves them right. It's a shitty fucking product. Of course, this means they'll just double down on the CeNation now.

They're in a worse situation now than they were when they brought Rock back for 27, as well.

Instead of bringing him back and focusing on Rock-Cena shit for the last three years they could have been building new stars.

They are now basically fucked because Rock is gone, Punk has had enough, a bunch of other guys are retiring or part-timers and they've got no-one left but Cena who can draw.

In typical Vince fashion I expect he'll write a blank cheque to Austin for WMXXX to try and paper over the cracks but even that won't stop them from the downward spiral the product is in.

jmdajr

They're in a worse situation now than they were when they brought Rock back for 27, as well.

Instead of bringing him back and focusing on Rock-Cena shit for the last three years they could have been building new stars.

They are now basically fucked because Rock is gone, Punk has had enough, a bunch of other guys are retiring or part-timers and they've got no-one left but Cena who can draw.

In typical Vince fashion I expect he'll write a blank cheque to Austin for WMXXX to try and paper over the cracks but even that won't stop them from the downward spiral the product is in.

Bring back Batista, Hardy and Angel while we're at it!

somedevil

Where is everyone getting Punk is quitting? My post basically said the problem was worked out and now he taking time off to heal. He is coming back in July for Summerslam. Also, I doubt that he regrets his new contract. He is the number 2 in the company makes tons of money with his merchandise after he resigned. The man got a year title run as well.

Why buy WCW when you can probably get TNA for much cheaper and just hire Heyman to book the talent already there.

the names, man.

Halloween Havoc, Starrcade, The Great American Bash, SuperBrawl... i want to bring them back.

i want 60 men in three wrestling rings, i want WarGames matches. screw TNA.

jmdajr

Where is everyone getting Punk is quitting? My post basically said the problem was worked out and now he taking time off to heal. He is coming back in July for Summerslam. Also, I doubt that he regrets his new contract. He is the number 2 in the company makes tons of money with his merchandise after he resigned. The man got a year title run as well.

He mentioned in an interview that Vince said he was harder to work with than Shawn when he was on drugs.
I'm sure lots of things piss him off but he'd be an idiot to quit if he doesn't want to wrestle forever. Build that nest egg now.

zychi

Banned
How could they have a shitty buy and still get 80k+ in attendance?

I'll believe it when I see the numbers.

New York numbers, and NY is one of the easiest cities to get to from Europe and Australia. Tons of international fans this year.

I bet if this was in Dallas or Miami again, it wouldn't have sold out. There was literally 2 matches I was excited for the whole night(Punk and DBrines matches), and I turned it off prior to the Rock Cena jokefest

zychi

Banned
The sad thing, just like Punk said on Raw, is that he has no where to go. He's hit the glass ceiling. He's the only person in the last ten years to beat Cena more than once for the WWE title(even if it wasnt clean). Even the Rock-Cena bullshit was a 1-1. He took on the streak, held the only title that mattered one of the longest times ever. He'll always be second fiddle to the company made Cena.

Whats left for him to do?
He's 34, his body is worse than most wrestlers at this point, and I doubt Dana would accept him to UFC, he's too scrwany and old. Maybe a stint in the lower-than-UFC MMAs?

jmdajr

He's 34, his body is worse than most wrestlers at this point, and I doubt Dana would accept him to UFC, he's too scrwany and old. Maybe a stint in the lower-than-UFC MMAs?

Why would he want to do MMA?

I say be Happy being Randy Savage and not Hulk Hogan. Or just do something completely different. I don't know what though.

somedevil

The sad thing, just like Punk said on Raw, is that he has no where to go. He's hit the glass ceiling. He's the only person in the last ten years to beat Cena more than once for the WWE title(even if it wasnt clean). Even the Rock-Cena bullshit was a 1-1. He took on the streak, held the only title that mattered one of the longest times ever. He'll always be second fiddle to the company made Cena.

You know he is not quitting right? He probably brings in more merchandise sales then Cena. With his contract and his merch sales the man is making alot of money. Also when I look at Punk I don't see a MMA fighter. Its either wrestling or sitting on his couch.

Cagey

Banned
Yep, highest Mania attendance in years.

I'm not buying the low buys.

Attendance can be misleading. Building capacity plays the largest role... then accessibility to foreign tourists plus attractiveness of the destination (NYC), plus an enormous built-in fan base in this area factor in.

Metlife holds 82000 for football games. Georgia Dome in Atlanta holds 71000.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
New York numbers, and NY is one of the easiest cities to get to from Europe and Australia. Tons of international fans this year.

I bet if this was in Dallas or Miami again, it wouldn't have sold out. There was literally 2 matches I was excited for the whole night(Punk and DBrines matches), and I turned it off prior to the Rock Cena jokefest

It basically sold out within minutes of going on sale. Months and months before a single match was booked. Wrestlemania sells out because it's Wrestlemania, and even if the card is shitty, the whole event and weekend with everything going on around it is pretty awesome to go to. The live attendance has almost nothing to do with the card at all.

The PPV buyrate, on the other hand, has EVERYTHING to do with the card.

Kaladin

Attendance can be misleading. Building capacity plays the largest role... then accessibility to foreign tourists plus attractiveness of the destination (NYC), plus an enormous built-in fan base in this area factor in.

Metlife holds 82000 for football games. Georgia Dome in Atlanta holds 71000.

There has to be some interest in the card for fans to go, and that has to translate into similar # of buys. I'd argue the buy rate is probably no lower than WM26. Lower than 26 and <800k buys would be shocking territory.

WrestleMania 23 - 1,250,000 (Former Highest Buyrate Record)
WrestleMania XXIV - 1,041,000
WrestleMania XXV - 960,000
WrestleMania XXVI - 885,000
WrestleMania XXVII - 1,042,000
WrestleMania XXVIII - 1,300,000 (Highest Buyrate Record)

Top Bottom