• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

April Wrasslin |OT| DO DO, DO DO DO-DO-DO, DO-DO-DO, DO-DOOOOO DO-DO

strobogo

Banned
For sure, MGS1 completely holds up, even with the hilariously dated graphics. Story telling, game play, all the crazy little touches Kojima is known for. I really wish it had been on the HD Collection. All it needs is a fresh coat of paint and it'd be a top level game today.

Speaking of the HD Collection, my $4 copy came the other day and I was going through a replay. I'm really undecided on which is better between 2 and 3. 3 is a bit more engaging in how ridiculous it is and the scenery changes and what not. The menu stuff is a bit clunky, but I found myself missing it when I got to 2. 2 is SO SMOOTH. Fuck. The controls are absolutely perfect. And it looks so good. The story is interesting, but really didn't go full Kojima until near the end, where as I felt like 3 was pretty much at the level from the start. It made a lot more sense on the second play through. And it would have made a lot more sense the first time if I had played MGS1 before hand. Coming into it completely new to the series, it was so confusing and weird. I feel like 1,2,3 are all pretty much right around the same level and really could change positions on any day. My initial play through of the HD Collection had me liking PW the most. We'll see if that's still the case. I think part of it was finally being used to the game play.

But anyway, MGS1, still completely awesome. Should have been on the HD Collection, even if it was just the GCN version. LIQUID!

Also:

mgs_wrestling_famitsu.jpg

ecurbj

It's on Sinclair broadcast stations which can be any of a coupe stations in your area. You named to find out if Sinclair owns a station in your area.
Never mind. It's not in my area then. I have Comcast and I'm located in Delaware so that's certainly a no. So I will have to get my ROH fix from the online. I see they have subscription services also. So if I subscribe and pay I can watch it Monday's instead of the taping Thursday if I was a free member.

Hmm.

UberTag

Bryan vs Cena will be good and probably the best match of Cena's title reign if it happens. Good workers bring out the best in Cena's matches.
I only want to see this if their feud gets personal and both Bellas are at ringside freaking out about their boyfriends trying to kill each other.
This also needs to start with Cena buying Nikki a present and D.Brine feeling obligated to 1-UP Cena by buying Brie a better present and having a complex about it.

I only want to see this if their feud gets personal and both Bellas are at ringside freaking out about their boyfriends trying to kill each other.
This also needs to start with Cena buying Nikki a present and D.Brine feeling obligated to 1-UP Cena by buying Brie a better present and having a complex about it.

That's too much actual plot to not get scrapped and rewritten 5 minutes before the show starts.
You'll get Bryan winning a number 1 contenders match by fluke and Cena promos in the realm of "i've heard some say this guy's like an American Dragon but last I checked the only creature he resembles is a goat" *smirk, cue Cole fake laugh*

UberTag

That's too much actual plot to not get scrapped and rewritten 5 minutes before the show starts.
You'll get Bryan winning a number 1 contenders match by fluke and Cena promos in the realm of "i've heard some say this guy's like an American Dragon but last I checked the only creature he resembles is a goat" *smirk, cue Cole fake laugh*
How creative! That's much better than what I put together!
Are you sure you're not a team of 30 soap opera writers under Stephanie McMahon?
Come on, you can level with me here.

Kaladin

Nah, Bryan won't win a #1 contender's match by fluke. He'll win a Beat The Clock challenge because either A) the guy that comes closest is in a feud already and interference causes him to go over time or B) he goes on last and wins because the guy he's facing is in a feud and gets distracted early in the match.

How creative! That's much better than what I put together!
Are you sure you're not a team of 30 soap opera writers under Stephanie McMahon?
Come on, you can level with me here.
Aw shucks, i'll let you in on a little secret, upcoming story plans for Extreme Rules, we're working from these following bullet points, it's stressed we don't add too much more incredible depth to this current structure or else we may alienate some viewers.

- Brock/HHH: Limited dates for Lesnar, fill in weeks with HHH promos about the nature of this business and it being personal.

- Cena/Ryback: Feed Cena more.

- IC title: Miz Barrett loses all his non title matches until the ppv, then he wins at the ppv.

- US title: grab a name out of the hat of decision making for opponent, add stipulation by throwing a dart at the board of stipulations.

Source: Top Secret Writing Staff Materials

Nah, Bryan won't win a #1 contender's match by fluke. He'll win a Beat The Clock challenge because either A) the guy that comes closest is in a feud already and interference causes him to go over time or B) he goes on last and wins because the guy he's facing is in a feud and gets distracted early in the match.
Take my job you magnificent (Sand) Man!

Speaking of the HD Collection, my $4 copy came the other day and I was going through a replay. I'm really undecided on which is better between 2 and 3. 3 is a bit more engaging in how ridiculous it is and the scenery changes and what not. The menu stuff is a bit clunky, but I found myself missing it when I got to 2. 2 is SO SMOOTH. Fuck. The controls are absolutely perfect. And it looks so good. The story is interesting, but really didn't go full Kojima until near the end, where as I felt like 3 was pretty much at the level from the start. It made a lot more sense on the second play through. And it would have made a lot more sense the first time if I had played MGS1 before hand. Coming into it completely new to the series, it was so confusing and weird. I feel like 1,2,3 are all pretty much right around the same level and really could change positions on any day. My initial play through of the HD Collection had me liking PW the most. We'll see if that's still the case. I think part of it was finally being used to the game play.

3 > 1 >>> 4 = 2 > PW

3 feels the most well rounded IMO. I love the characters, the setting, the hunting, injury, and camo mechanics, the way technology is designed, the music, the atmosphere, the cold war backdrop, the boss battles, the entire final hour (which might be the best in gaming history), etc., etc. MGS1 is right there with it, but 2, 4, and Peace Walker are a good deal behind those IMO. Yeah 2 controls extremely well, but Raiden's a terrible character in that game, the environments are too samey, too much codec in the final few hours, and the story goes off the rails at the end. MGS4 could've been the best one, but they screwed the pooch with Acts 3-5 (aside from Shadow Moses), the cutscenes became laughably long, and the story collapsed in on itself with melodrama, retcons, and convoluted nonsense. Peace Walker held my attention for about 5 hours before I tapped out. Something about that game didn't do it for me.

Still looking forward to Ground Zeroes and MGSV. Oh, and WRESTLING. YEAH GO WRESTLING.

I thought Ground Zeroes and The Phantom Pain were considered MGS5 together?!

Dood, I'm so confused as to what "MGSV" is at this point. Even Kojima was being sly about if The Phantom Pain and Ground Zeroes are separate things.

Let's just say I'm looking forward to The Next Chapter in the Metal Gear Solid® saga from Kojima Productions™ and the Konami Corporation.

"Champions...champions have changed."

It's no longer about booking, exciting matches, and good characters. It's an endless series of pointless battles, fought by jobbers and divas. Wrestling, and its consumption of brain cells, has become a well-oiled machine. Wrestling has changed. Merchandise tagged entertainers carry merchandise tagged merchandise, use WWE Shop gear. Nanomachines inside their bodies enhance dumb down their abilities. Genetic control. Information control. Emotion control. Promo control. Everything is monitored, and kept under control. Wrestling has changed. The age of Attitude has become the age of Be A Star. All in the name of averting catastrophe from controversial storylines. And Vince, who controls the battlefield, controls history. Wrestling has changed. When the WWE is under total control, bad shows... becomes routine.

Sokantish

Dood, I'm so confused as to what "MGSV" is at this point. Even Kojima was being sly about if The Phantom Pain and Ground Zeroes are separate things.

Let's just say I'm looking forward to The Next Chapter in the Metal Gear Solid® saga from Kojima Productions™ and the Konami Corporation.

Heck yeah, me too. The Mass Effect and Metal Gear Solid franchises are my favorites! Now I just need to see some ME4 footage. Too bad it's forever away :(

Aiii

So not worth it
So I just came home from the Raw tour, it was really something else. The crowd was insane, weren't quiet for a second, my troats soar but our group managed to start at least 3 or 4 chants, so that was pretty amazing. I think the wrestlers and everyone was pretty taken aback as well, as nobody really knew what to expect from NL, but the arena was damn near filled to capacity, I wont wager a guess, but I'd reckon there were at least 5k of us.

Anyway, the card we got was:

-Zach Ryder vs Heath Slater (rest of 3MB wasn't with him)
-Antonio Cesaro vs R-Truth
-The Bella's & Tamina vs The Funkadactyls & Kaitlyn
-Ziggler w/ AJ vs Daniel Bryan (twitter vote if the WHC should be on the line was succesful. So obviously Dolph won)
-Regal vs McGillecutty (so amazing to see Regal do his thing, he was revered by this crowd too, great match)
-Tons of Funk vs Rhodes Scholars (Naomi did a headscissors on Sandow)
-Big E Langston w/ AJ vs Kane (ended when Ziggler did a run-in followed by Bryan. Vickie then came out and made a tag-team match (playa))
-Big E Langston & Ziggler vs Hell No (After Hell No one, Bryan stole Kane's tag team belt to celebrate. Which Kane stole back right a way. Bryan begged for it, but Kane wouldn't let him have it. Bryan got on the mic and said if Kane wasn't gonna give it, he was gonna take it from him. which led to this amazing bit where Bryan pretended to be a raging bull and Kane played a matador, using the tag belt as the red cloth. Bryan got on the mic and got angry because of a goatface chant, they then hugged it out and when Kane finally wanted to give Bryan the belt he passed it right back to Kane, leading to another exchange between the two. Tons of yes and hug it out chants during this whole thing, it was great.)
-Cena vs Ryback for the title in a tables match.

All the best Kane and Bryan antics seem to happen on house shows, it's not faaaaiiiiir.
How was the Cena reaction Aiii? I guess he didn't fall through the table this time around.

It's no longer about booking, exciting matches, and good characters. It's an endless series of pointless battles, fought by jobbers and divas. Wrestling, and its consumption of brain cells, has become a well-oiled machine. Wrestling has changed. Merchandise tagged entertainers carry merchandise tagged merchandise, use WWE Shop gear. Nanomachines inside their bodies enhance dumb down their abilities. Genetic control. Information control. Emotion control. Promo control. Everything is monitored, and kept under control. Wrestling has changed. The age of Attitude has become the age of Be A Star. All in the name of averting catastrophe from controversial storylines. And Vince, who controls the battlefield, controls history. Wrestling has changed. When the WWE is under total control, bad shows... becomes routine.
:lol :lol :lol
Alberto Del Rio's face turn is floundering, so do we bring him back as a cyborg ninja? because I bet Beef would lap that shit up.
Only if we get Del Rio the Ripper out of it.

Heck yeah, me too. The Mass Effect and Metal Gear Solid franchises are my favorites! Now I just need to see some ME4 footage. Too bad it's forever away :(

Mass Effect ended so badly though. The first game showed so much promise. The only way I can get excited for that franchise is if they reboot it to basically be "Cowboy Bebop from Bioware featuring aliens." No space magic, no "end of the universe as we know it" plot, no Space Jesus, etc. Just dirty, moody, dark sci-fi focusing on space exploration, interesting characters, racial conflict, political upheaval, illegal trading, space gangs etc. Keep the narrative more intimate so it doesn't blow up in your face when its time to wrap it up.

Sokantish

Mass Effect ended so badly though. The first game showed so much promise. The only way I can get excited for that franchise is if they reboot it to basically be "Cowboy Bebop from Bioware featuring aliens." No space magic, no "end of the universe as we know it" plot, no Space Jesus, etc. Just dirty, moody, dark sci-fi focusing on space exploration, interesting characters, racial conflict, political upheaval, illegal trading, space gangs etc. Keep the narrative more intimate so it doesn't blow up in your face when its time to wrap it up.

You don't know how badly I would want a "Cowboy Bebop from Bioware featuring aliens" game. Even though Mass Effect ended badly and got a little wonky near the end I still love it and can't wait for more. The ending didn't really bother me at all. Maybe that also explains why I can still watch 3 hours of RAW every week too though, I don't know. I was actually surprised how good the DLC was for ME3, I really enjoyed each one.

The only thing that bothered me was it seemed like they clearly wanted to give you choices to make with the first one but then by the time they were making ME2 they realized "wait, we actually have to make those choices matter somehow" and then just ended up sending you e-mails on your ship instead of making a difference in the game.

Watching some classic PWG, it's easy to forget how amazing Bryan was already a decade ago - sick delayed German suplex, I'd love to see this return to his war crate;

ibhPWe7CkV4pal.gif

Also, PWG are forever awesome for bringing both Ebessan & Kuishinbo Kamen over to the States - never get tired of their epic rivalry, even though I've seen them wrestle near enough a dozen singles matches over the years;

iX4dSvikjPCuj.gif

mrboo001

Banned

I just started playing MGS2 (HD collection) for the 1st time in my life and I understood that refence.

Therefore, good job and lol indeed.

Aiii

So not worth it
All the best Kane and Bryan antics seem to happen on house shows, it's not faaaaiiiiir.
How was the Cena reaction Aiii? I guess he didn't fall through the table this time around.

Cena was split down the middle, lots of little jimmies and even a shitload of big jimmies in attendance, very loud and constant dueling chants though throughout the match.

I was at the Smackdown tour in Brussels with a rather weak and quiet french-belgian crowd, this blew that out of the water. For the entire 2,5 hours we were chanting and cheering. It was like a mini post-WM Raw. You could tell alot of people were waiting for them to come here.

This was two hours before the event started, there were alot of people behind us too:

Stop talking about the ME3 ending. I am only 3 days removed from that experience and its still rattling around in my head trying to make sense of it all.

Rest of that game was great though but MAN. That ending.

Its like a MGS2 style ending twist only they forgot the part where you drop hints throughout the game.

Its the RKO of twists. OUT OF NOWHERE! ONE! TWO! THREE! and your done.

Ithil

Cena was split down the middle, lots of little jimmies and even a shitload of big jimmies in attendance, very loud and constant dueling chants though throughout the match.

I was at the Smackdown tour in Brussels with a rather weak and quiet french-belgian crowd, this blew that out of the water. For the entire 2,5 hours we were chanting and cheering. It was like a mini post-WM Raw. You could tell alot of people were waiting for them to come here.

This was two hours before the event started, there were alot of people behind us too:
Kid with a Punk cap in front of you? Better than the kids at the show I went to in November, a sea of green Cena shirts.

Though that's unfair, there were a ton of kids with Bryan's YES shirts, and Punk yellow GTS and Ziggler's blue shirt, too.

somedevil

Some Wrestling News:

In the segment breakdown, the show started a bit weak for Big Show vs. Randy Orton and Sheamus with a 3.06 quarter rating. The segment with Brock Lesnar destroying 3MB gained 113,000 viewers. Kofi Kingston winning the United States Title from Antonio Cesaro lost 111,000 viewers. A replay of Dolph Ziggler's title win from the week before lost 10,000 viewers. Ziggler's interview with Zeb Colter, Jack Swagger and Alberto Del Rio coming out gained 241,000 viewers for a 3.23 quarter rating in the 9pm timeslot.

Kane and Daniel Bryan vs. Titus O'Neil and Darren Young plus the Ryback promo gained 33,000 viewers. R-Truth vs. Wade Barrett lost 397,000 viewers. Santino Marella and The Great Khali vs. Cody Rhodes and Damien Sandow lost 84,000 viewers. Fandango coming out at 10pm gained just 69,000 viewers for a 2.95 quarter rating - a very bad gain for the top of the hour.
Ziggler vs. Swagger lost 232,000 viewers and the CM Punk interview gained 344,000 viewers, a very good gain for that part of the show. Kaitlyn vs. Nikki Bella gained 20,000 viewers. The final segment with John Cena, Ryback and The Shield gained 647,000 viewers for a 3.53 overrun rating.

A diva matches gained viewers! Also, WWE is going to miss Punk he is a draw. Though it seems the people want Ryback vs Cena. Also, fandango is no draw yet.

There were 3,000 people in attendance for last Thursday's TNA Impact Wrestling tapings from Corpus Christi, Texas but the event was heavily papered. This was the first of the tapings since they went on the road where advance ticket sales were weak.

Ouch for TNA though they should of known never go to Corpus Christi.

Striker

Alberto Del Rio's face turn is floundering, so do we bring him back as a cyborg ninja? because I bet Beef would lap that shit up.
What you notice about him going face is changing what he's done in the ring and his style to get cheers/heat. Meanwhile you look at shitheads like Sheamus and Miz and they still have that arrogant persona and just act like narcissistic assholes.

What you notice about him going face is changing what he's done in the ring and his style to get cheers/heat. Meanwhile you look at shitheads like Sheamus and Miz and they still have that arrogant persona and just act like narcissistic assholes.

I think Sheamus would lose a little something if he pandered too much and dropped his brawler focus, hey he's got that umm, what did Booker T call it? the Irish Hand Grenade? well it gets the crowd interacting at least, anyway I think Sheamus switched things up a bit at least.
ADR always did have a movepool that would benefit being a face.

I'll give you Miz though.

Fandango coming out at 10pm gained just 69,000 viewers for a 2.95 quarter rating

A 2.95 top of the hour quarter rating? That's awful. Hell, Punk gained over 300 thousand at ten freaking thirty. Punk is REALLY going to be missed and Fandango isn't a draw yet (if ever)

gurudyne

A 2.95 top of the hour quarter rating? That's awful. Hell, Punk gained over 300 thousand at ten freaking thirty. Punk is REALLY going to be missed and Fandango isn't a draw yet (if ever)

I can't grasp the logic on that one. It's wrestling and the top of the hour attention grabber for the channel-surfing crowd is bad ballroom dancing and King forcing the WWE's Harlem Shake.

Top Bottom