• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

April Wrasslin |OT| DO DO, DO DO DO-DO-DO, DO-DO-DO, DO-DOOOOO DO-DO

Alucard

Banned
I usually dislike Taz, but I have to give him props...he's done a lot tonight to get stories and wrestlers over on the mic. I've never said this, but the past hour or so has slightly felt like mid-90s WCW with a different flavour. TNA actually feels like it's trying to develop feuds and stories.

Ondore

"Next week on NXT, Antonio Cesaro defends the United States title against Adrian Neville!"

Uh, whoops. They better not cut this match.

somedevil

I usually dislike Taz, but I have to give him props...he's done a lot tonight to get stories and wrestlers over on the mic. I've never said this, but the past hour or so has slightly felt like mid-90s WCW with a different flavour.

Really? I ignore him because he is still bad playing the heel announcer. I'm not finding this show as great as you though.

strobogo

Banned
And while there are always some bad WWE/TNA PPVs each year, the chances are always higher you'll get a show full of lay and pray decisions, entire cards destroyed due to injuries, or a GSP fight in MMA.

jred2k

"Next week on NXT, Antonio Cesaro defends the United States title against Adrian Neville!"

Uh, whoops. They better not cut this match.

I'd be willing to bet he wins the title back on Monday in London. Then again, they don't really care about NXT continuity that much. Last week the main commentator mentioned how The Fuckadactyls were in a match at WM29.

Heel

That's another thing that drives me from UFC, so much on fight day. Free pre-shows, online pre-pre shows, you're watching fights from 7 in the evening till 1am.

At least with a PPV, it's half that.

Didn't they do the same for WrassleMania? It gets a little long, but it's not a requirement to watch everything to be a fan of the sport by any means.

Don't want to be perceived as "trolling the thread" or whatever the fuck, but you should join us in MMA-GAF for the free card on FOX this weekend. It's excellent on paper.

How many other Mix Martial Artists are into Super Sentai besides Rodrigo Gracie?

Rodrigo has the market cornered, but Joshu Barnetto has cred.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmt1_sfbnjk

And while there are always some bad WWE/TNA PPVs each year, the chances are always higher you'll get a show full of lay and pray decisions, entire cards destroyed due to injuries, or a GSP fight in MMA.

Definitely. The UFC roster has inflated to the point where they are more and more likely to book a stinker card. It takes a seasoned fan to sniff these out on paper and see them coming. The free card this weekend is definitely not that though IMO.

Alucard

Banned
Really? I ignore him because he is still bad playing the heel announcer. I'm not finding this show as great as you though.

I definitely liked it more than Raw this week. Second hour was better than the first hour, though.

This episode did a good job of actually establishing Aces and Eights as a legit threat, and not as a weak faction like they'd been booked for months before this.

Who else watched Impact tonight? Thoughts?

strobogo

Banned
I just feel like UFC really needs to cut back on shows. One PPV, one UFN, plus TUF. Fox things every 3 months or so. It feels like they run 12 shows a month.

somedevil

I definitely liked it more than Raw this week. Second hour was better than the first hour, though.

This episode did a good job of actually establishing Aces and Eights as a legit threat, and not as a weak faction like they'd been booked for months before this.

Who else watched Impact tonight? Thoughts?

One problem is that you can't change the fact they were weak for 9 monthes. Another problem is they are booking the babyfaces now like how Aces and Eights were before. The problem with groups like these is you need strong babyfaces to oppose them and just like WCW they don't have that after Hardy.

edit: This was better than Raw but thats not saying much.

As something other than a suit actor?

cloverleafoooooooooooo

herfg.png

Alucard

Banned
One problem is that you can't change the fact they were weak for 9 monthes. Another problem is they are booking the babyfaces now like how Aces and Eights were before. The problem with groups like these is you need strong babyfaces to oppose them and just like WCW they don't have that after Hardy.

edit: This was better than Raw but thats not saying much.

They're going the Goldberg route. Pretty sure Matt Morgan will be the "hero" in this story. Think TNA's tapping into WCW's playbook from the 90s with this, as well as the popularity of guy superhero movies...namely, Christopher Nolan's Batman franchise. "You have no heroes left. This is Hulk Hogan's fault," etc. Gotta say that I like it. It feels much different from what WWE is doing right now, and I genuinely hope their ratings go up and that interest in their product increases. If they can maintain this level of quality (hopefully a little higher) for another 3-4 weeks, I think people will simply forget the first 9 months of Aces and Eights garbage because what's happening now is actually interesting, and there are multiple plot threads that are actually all interconnected in some way. Outside of the X Division...which still needs help. And the Knockouts, which draw ratings.

strobogo

Banned
I've never seen a dude sell a whiffed clothesline so hard.

If Matt fucking Morgan ends up as the super face to save TNA...I don't even know how to respond to that. Besides the hilarious emo/hobo look AJ has (and that fucker drove off in a fucking BATPOD when TNA cameras were at his home), he's actually more like DDP in the story. Initially at least, James Storm was definitely in the Sting role, with everyone questioning him and A8 trying to make people think he was a member.

I'll be legit shook if the person to bring down A8 isn't Sting, Hogan, or AJ. I'm actually leaning towards Sting. The whole thing started with him, it's all been his fault, and every angle Sting has been involved with in TNA has been about redemption in the end.

If that's the case, A8 will splinter off after Sting wins the blow off match, which I assume will be at NEXT year's Lockdown. Sting will eventually join it. A8 and Jokers Wild. Then it will just kind of die out and TNA will do the next 1-2 year long angle featuring a large heel group trying to "take over" the company. I don't even know what taking over means in pro wrestling. Controlling the booking? The pay window? The show budget? Working in Gorilla? Picking the ring crew? A pro wrestling company is a business and if a heel group takes over, that means they have to do a bunch of extra business work instead of just beating people up. It seems like a bum deal, to be honest.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Gotta say, the Aces and Eights storyline is finally entertaining. Doesn't excuse 9 months of garbage, but just try to imagine that it only started at Lockdown. I've really liked TNA's backstage promos this week. Joe, Matt Morgan, Roode, etc.

It took 9 months, but it's finally done and much better than The Shield who beat people up becauusseeeee injustice and stuff. At least this angle has a purpose finally.

Alucard

Banned
I've never seen a dude sell a whiffed clothesline so hard.

If Matt fucking Morgan ends up as the super face to save TNA...I don't even know how to respond to that. Besides the hilarious emo/hobo look AJ has (and that fucker drove off in a fucking BATPOD when TNA cameras were at his home), he's actually more like DDP in the story. Initially at least, James Storm was definitely in the Sting role, with everyone questioning him and A8 trying to make people think he was a member.

I'll be legit shook if the person to bring down A8 isn't Sting, Hogan, or AJ. I'm actually leaning towards Sting. The whole thing started with him, it's all been his fault, and every angle Sting has been involved with in TNA has been about redemption in the end.

If that's the case, A8 will splinter off after Sting wins the blow off match, which I assume will be at NEXT year's Lockdown. Sting will eventually join it. A8 and Jokers Wild. Then it will just kind of die out and TNA will do the next 1-2 year long angle featuring a large heel group trying to "take over" the company. I don't even know what taking over means in pro wrestling. Controlling the booking? The pay window? The show budget? Working in Gorilla? Picking the ring crew? A pro wrestling company is a business and if a heel group takes over, that means they have to do a bunch of extra business work instead of just beating people up. It seems like a bum deal, to be honest.

Yeah, the motivation is still a little hazy, but I just think the heel faction wants to mess things up because of a personal vendetta against Hogan. That's all.

I do hope they have an out planned for this story, long-term, though. I don't want to see this go on forever like the NWO and DX. I'd be okay with it dying by Lockdown next year, if not sooner. Of course, if they can keep it fresh, then they can definitely keep it going longer than that. We'll see.

*shrugs* I'm liking TNA right now. It's weird, but I am.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
You made the mistake of thinking I consider Aces & 8s anything other than Bully Ray is currently the best heel in wrestling and I guess he's got some goons now.

Cagey

Banned
It took 9 months, but it's finally done and much better than The Shield who beat people up becauusseeeee injustice and stuff. At least this angle has a purpose finally.

Imagine if The Shield had a motivation? You know, like any character in any basic narrative would have? Writing is hard brah.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Gonna watch the NJPW vs AJPW show from 2001. Apparently this is one of the stiffest events ever. Can't wait.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Didn't they do the same for WrassleMania? It gets a little long, but it's not a requirement to watch everything to be a fan of the sport by any means.

Don't want to be perceived as "trolling the thread" or whatever the fuck, but you should join us in MMA-GAF for the free card on FOX this weekend. It's excellent on paper.

You've always been a great Ambassador for MMA in Wrasslegaf and you're one of the reasons I still keep up with it, real talk. You're that fragile link I have where I still mostly lurk!

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I wish Macho Man was still alive and made his money doing video game voice acting. I want Macho Skyrim Dragon in like 90% of my games. Imagine if one of the Saint's Row voices was just Macho Man.

Top Bottom