• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

April Wrasslin |OT| DO DO, DO DO DO-DO-DO, DO-DO-DO, DO-DOOOOO DO-DO

Nice write-up man, definitely agree with you about Cornette on commentary, he always manages to get over the matches and wrestlers he commentates for, which is what any commentator worth their salt should be able to do. Didn't realise Jamie Noble was in HWA. Matt Stryker had to be one of the blandest wrestlers about at that time. Him or John Walters.

Nice write-up man, definitely agree with you about Cornette on commentary, he always manages to get over the matches and wrestlers he commentates for, which is what any commentator worth their salt should be able to do. Didn't realise Jamie Noble was in HWA. Matt Stryker had to be one of the blandest wrestlers about at that time. Him or John Walters.

Cornette makes it seem so simple, so you sit there and wonder... 'Why is this not happening now...' within that 1hour show, he's managed to sell all the characters on the screen and the general history of HWA to me. He got over that WCW were invading, and that Shane McMahon had requested for Mike Sanders to oversee the invasion at the grassroots level of the WWF to take control of the young potential before it can become loyal to WWF.

Yeah Matt Stryker was boring. He also suffers from 'Head on Wrong Body' syndrome. Jamie Noble really made that match way better than it was.

Kaladin

I wonder what a promotion would look like if it were run by Jim Cornette and Paul Heyman together.....two of the best match promoters of our time. I would hope one would reign in the bad qualities of the other if they don't kill each other first.

strobogo

Banned
ecwontnn.tumblr.com

ECW on TNN 2/25/00

Cyrus starts the show off in the ring. He and The Network are officially stripping RVD of the TV Championship and Cyrus will appoint a new champion. And that new champion is RHINO! Not only that, but he's going to make Paul Heyman deliver the title himself. And a coffee. Out comes the boss, cradling the title belt. Cyrus is doing mad shit talking saying Paul is going to bend over and sell out for the Network.

via Imgflip GIF Generator

After screaming "Give it to me, Paul!" repeatedly, Paul waffles Cyrus with the title. GORE! Rhino just GORED the boss! This brings out The Sandman. Not in a hurry or anything, but it brought him out. And then we go right to commercial. After the break, we're at the lullaby part of Enter Sandman and he's still standing in the crowd.

Rhino vs The Sandman

I'm not sure if this is a title match or not. It starts as a triple team, but then heads to the stage, and Rhino gets tossed off of it. Sandman gets a ladder and throws it into the ring. He got a table out, but Rhino attacked before he could get it in the ring. Rhino goes face first into the ladder. Table suplex! A nice Corporal Robinson Is Extreme sign in the front row. Slingshot tope onto the ladder on Rhino. The table is set in the corner. Heinekenranna! Tajiri comes out and mists Sandman. GORE through the table. Super Crazy came out to save Sandman with his spiffy new bob hair cut.

Joel "I'm lubin' my Cuban, freakin' my Rican..." Joey stopped him to talk about Rhino not actually injuring RVD.

TO THE BACK. Doring and Roadkill run into The Dupps. One keeps picking his ass and smelling it.

The Dupps vs Doring and Roadkill

This dude is still picking his ass. Fuck this. Doring and Roadkill win.

Tommy Dreamer comes out for an interview. This is the first ECW show in Milwaukee He asks if it is WCW country. No. WWF country? No. Obviously it is AWA country, fuck head. We need Flapjack Norton to sort some shit out here. He calls Raven out. Francine comes out instead. She knows he's trying to protect her, but Tommy needs to get his shit together. He's not motivated. The Impact Players and Dawn Marie come out. Dawn is so much hotter than Francine. They say they are just out there to watch. Tommy says to bring the slut in the ring to show her fake tits so we can all get something to watch. That seemed a bit uncalled for. This leads to them offering a title shot for Tommy and a partner of his choosing. Tommy will find someone in the crowd. Francine picks Raven for him.

Impact Players vs Dreamer/Raven ECW Tag Team Championships

Justin had some new jorts that he clearly hadn't washed yet. Raven comes out I think in slacks and a tucked in long sleeved shirt. He hits a DDT on Lance, but Justin hits That's Incredible on Raven. Justin and Tommy brawl into the crowd. Lance gets a drop toe hold on a chair. Dreamer brings in an antire row of seats into the ring. Double drop toe holds into the chairs!

A table is in the ring. Both legs are bent so it isn't very stable. Avalanche DVD through a table!

Dawn breaks up the pin. YAK FIGHT. James Mitchell comes out, now in a red suit. Dawn blocked a bronco buster. Mitchell gives Raven a bag of coke. Raven tried to throw it at Lance, but it hit Tommy instead. This time, Tommy accidentally DDTs Francine. Raven carries her to the back. Spike That's Incredible! Titles retained.

TO THE BACK.
James Mitchell stirs the shit between Raven and Dreamer. While sitting in a chair made of a shopping cart in an empty Olympic sized pool. Wat.

I wonder what a promotion would look like if it were run by Jim Cornette and Paul Heyman together.....two of the best match promoters of our time. I would hope one would reign in the bad qualities of the other if they don't kill each other first.

Heyman seems better equipped to evolve with the business. Cornette is basically still doing Smokey Mountain Wrestling whenever he gets the book.

Jitters

Speaking of Twitter, I had to do the unthinkable

I unfollowed Batista.

There's no reason for 50+ RTs of people begging for RTs. When Bats learns to use social media correctly I'll be back. It stings.

You can turn off retweets. Go to his profile and click the little person icon.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
So far Tenzan vs Nagata is doooope. Loving this event. Feels FAR less dated than American wrestling in this timeframe.

strobogo

Banned
So far Tenzan vs Nagata is doooope. Loving this event. Feels FAR less dated than American wrestling in this timeframe.

That's because puro really hasn't changed the presentation since the 70s. It's pretty much always been presented more as a real sport and kept that aesthetic for the most part. Since it has always (mostly) been about real athletes in real competition, it makes sense that holds up a lot better than super gimmicky US stuff from the same period.

somedevil

Impact Viewer Amount for 4/18:

1.268. Up 98,000 from last week. So the ratings bombed again and most likely will be below a 1.00 again.

Corpus Christi has killed impact.

Toki767

Impact Viewer Amount for 4/18:

1.268. Up 98,000 from last week. So the ratings bombed again and most likely will be below a 1.00 again.

Corpus Christi has killed impact.

That audience clearly didn't care about the show at all. During most of the matches you could see people in the front row just talking to each other not even paying attention to the ring.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Really surprised the wrestling gif thread didn't take off more. I guess Chrome's market penetration is greater than I thought.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Man, I keep trying to struggle my way through this Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory game but it's so....gross.

Weird but legit question - these are children, this game appeals to pedos in a few ways, so...wouldn't it bother the pedos that these girls explode into giant-chested whores?

If I was playing a game with grown ass women who explode into children, it'd kill my boners. Anyone have any insight?

Alucard

Banned
Impact scored a 0.98, making it the second-lowest rated show of the year behind the first Corpus show. I really wonder what's going on with viewers. What does Impact have to do to get more people on board? They've been getting better at promoting and presenting their product, but their ratings have actually gone down. It's difficult to understand.

Man, I keep trying to struggle my way through this Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory game but it's so....gross.

Weird but legit question - these are children, this game appeals to pedos in a few ways, so...wouldn't it bother the pedos that these girls explode into giant-chested whores?

If I was playing a game with grown ass women who explode into children, it'd kill my boners. Anyone have any insight?

I tried playing that game but just stopped. Not because of the loli aspect but because the game just felt bad.

Loli games never really bothered me.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Know what is a great change of subject? The 1981 match of the year, Sargent Slaughter vs Pat Patterson Alley Fight. http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xp3721_sgt-slaughter-vs-pat-patterson-alley-fight-4-21-1981_sport

Impact scored a 0.98, making it the second-lowest rated show of the year behind the first Corpus show. I really wonder what's going on with viewers. What does Impact have to do to get more people on board? They've been getting better at promoting and presenting their product, but their ratings have actually gone down. It's difficult to understand.

Personally I would say they need to kill Aces and Eights. Not completely drop it mind you, but start working and have a final big pay out to the whole story as a big final send off. No more moments like AJ Styles stands there silently and then walks off. I know I'm not alone in not watching very often because it feels like they are just dragging their feet constantly, afraid of any actual momentum or conclusion beyond random spurts.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member

What TNA really needs to do is function as a company that never needs to go above a 1.0. Cut costs, make it able to be maintained at that level. Ratings gains are very long term so looking for any "aha!" moment won't do it.

I tried playing that game but just stopped. Not because of the loli aspect but because the game just felt bad.

Loli games never really bothered me.

It's not a great game at all. These damn children just took a shower together! I feel dirty. I'm sending this thing back. I don't want to be on an FBI list.

Lol;

idYJoBfvXjZvk.png

Know what is a great change of subject? The 1981 match of the year, Sargent Slaughter vs Pat Patterson Alley Fight. http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xp3721_sgt-slaughter-vs-pat-patterson-alley-fight-4-21-1981_sport

...I don't believe I've actually ever watched this. Going to rectify that now, thanks for the link!

This was the last game I expected you to be playing, I have wondered why these games only seem to have breast sizes in the realm of huge or ironing board, no love for that which lies in between I guess.
Actual answer: Japan? okay no need for me to tar them with the same brush, I figure as long as the girls look cute and stuff I don't think they mind too much but don't take my word for it.

SO ABOUT WRESTLING THEN GUYS!

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
This was the last game I expected you to be playing, I have wondered why these games only seem to have breast sizes in the realm of huge or ironing board, no love for that which lies in between I guess.
Actual answer: Japan? okay no need for me to tar them with the same brush, I figure as long as the girls look cute and stuff I don't think they mind too much but don't take my word for it.

SO ABOUT WRESTLING THEN GUYS!

I was under the impression it was a shooter, not some long-ass JRPG. The exposition is deplorable. There's a subculture over here of dudes who...yknow I'm not even going to get into it.

That's a good look.

I remember that. Long-ass match if I remember. I think it was the first match on the WWE's Falls Count Anywhere DVD.

KenOD

Maybe people simply don't care as much about Brooke Hogan and company as Hogan and Bischoff think.

Oh yes, Brooke. Just as I fast forward any time Cena is on a WWE show, I'll skip right past anything with Brooke Hogan. I could never make it through a Impact show live with Hardy, Brooke, or Hulk and Sting within kissing distance of each other. Just so awful, and yet so often this past year they were most of the show.

...I don't believe I've actually ever watched this. Going to rectify that now, thanks for the link!

It's one of the matches that is constantly promoted by the WWE and it's trainers as "one of the top to watch and learn from", so it clearly has some power to it.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly

This GIF will finally have to be retired.

ratingsgif-2.gif

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Fire Pro! Finally, Sunflower's cheap ass can replace GWF with a good game.

GWF used Fire Pro for the "Sent Back In Time" arc for Laserfrog and Bootaaay, remember? When they teleported to uh, Halloween Havoc?

KenOD

Edit: SEGA's Tails Doll has nothing on Emma marotte.

Speaking of MMA. Does that lead into Bellator help TNA Impact at all? They certainty spend plenty of time talking about it, almost as much as ECW did with RollerJam.

Kaladin

IMO, they need to kill the 4 PPV per year idea. It's good on paper, but long stretches of TV with nothing big to build to probably costs them viewers.

gurudyne

It would help if they hadn't poisoned their reputation. The childishness of the name TNA; two hour shows with seven minutes of wrestling; all the old holdovers who aren't fun to watch including Hogan, Bischoff, even Flair; the embarrassing "Me too!" relationship they have with TV shows and the WWE; the childish jabs at the WWE and BS storylines that are just as embarrassing as bad ECW/WCW/WWE's. Most of those could be found in the WCW/WWE shows but because both companies were huge powerhouses with established fanbases considerably larger than most indy feds, their momentum could see them through stupid ideas. TNA never had that (at least not on a large enough level) and has been borrowing against good will it hadn't earned yet. I tried watching it several times, but I never got into the wrestlers because the show got in the way.

TNA needs to pick an identity, rebrand itself and stick to that identity, then focus on quality. Quality booking, quality stars and no goddamn SWERVES/Hulk Hogan politicking/Same Old Shit. WWE is weak right now--most people care about one guy and sit on their hands for the rest. If someone competent would take the TNA reins, they might be able to give WWE some real competition. At the very least, they could pull up out of the 1.0 ratings. I hear good things about them now, but I have to wonder how long it will last.

strobogo

Banned
The HWA Invasion always seemed way more interesting than the actual WWF Invasion. It seemed like a continuation of where WCW was heading instead of lolwcwsucks that happened on Raw and Smackdown.

Kaladin

Teddy Long was just generally more fun than Booker as GM when he wasn't being harassed by some subordinate heel who was trying to get his way (which happened often).

Top Bottom