• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

April Wrasslin |OT| DO DO, DO DO DO-DO-DO, DO-DO-DO, DO-DOOOOO DO-DO

Nakamura's opponent for the IC Title Match at NJPW's Wrestling Dontaku iPPV next month;

Shelton Benjamin
:|

Kinda disappointing, but I'm sure Shinskay will put on a great show, nonetheless.

2CW has a free IPPV tonight at 8pm EST. The card looks pretty darn good for a free show. Here is the link to watch 2CW Living On The Edge VIII

* 2CW Title Match: Kevin Steen vs. John Hennigan
* No Holds Barred: Spike Dudley vs. Masada
* Matt Hardy vs. Sami Callihan
* Colt Cabana vs. Slyck Wagner Brown
* Stairway to Hell: Jason Axe vs. Isys Ephex
* 2CW Tag Team Title Challenge: The Punisher VanSlyke & Kevin Graham vs. TBA
* Also appearing: Rachel Summerlyn, Colin Delaney, Super Smash Brothers, Bin Hamin and ZSIII

Currently watching OVW - 1st September 2001. Straight away comparing it the HWA Show that was held a week later, you can instantly tell that OVW is the #1 Development Promotion from that era. The wrestlers are just 'better'.

strobogo

Banned
Currently watching OVW - 1st September 2001. Straight away comparing it the HWA Show that was held a week later, you can instantly tell that OVW is the #1 Development Promotion from that era. The wrestlers are just 'better'.

I always thought HWA was more like the developmental group for OVW. But didn't most of the WCW guys get sent to HWA? What was going on in OVW during the Invasion?

I always thought HWA was more like the developmental group for OVW. But didn't most of the WCW guys get sent to HWA? What was going on in OVW during the Invasion?

They haven't really mentioned it yet on this show. Kanyon is there, but not as an invasion angle, but to wrestle Mr. Wrestling Nick Dinsmore who people keep talking about. I have a gif you'll like from this.

Nah.

ovw010901-kanyonexchag9srn.gif

I think the last channel it was on was 'Men & Motors', surprisingly. I've got a bunch of WoS rips with their watermark on top.

That's really odd!

Never really appreciated how much of an influence World of Sport had on the 80s Puro scene. So much talent came to England and had great feuds before returning to Japan (along with a few of the British guys they worked with).

If I see that Cena-ass gif too many more times, I may have to find some particularly nasty CZW to gif.

Never really appreciated how much of an influence World of Sport had on the 80s Puro scene. So much talent came to England and had great feuds before returning to Japan (along with a few of the British guys they worked with).

Yeah, the British style really had such a big influence on the Jr. Heavyweight style in Japan especially - a lot of it can be attributed to the successes of Tiger Mask/Sammy Lee in Britain and the historic Tiger Mask vs Dynamite Kid matches, which redefined what the Jr. division in New Japan was all about. This definitely opened up a lot more opportunities for the smaller, catch-as-catch-can style British wrestlers to ply their trade in Japan during the 80's and for more Japanese wrestlers to tour Europe and gain valuable experience. But guys like Antonio Inoki, Tatsumi Fujinami & Yoshiaki Fujiwara saw the value of British wrestling before then, travelling over to the UK to learn the style themselves during the 70's.

If someone asked me about British Wrestling now, I'd have no idea. I understand Challenge TV have just started to do a weekly round up of what's happening across the UK Scene, but other than that there's very little.

There were a ton of promotions I'd see 10 years ago, FWA, RQW, UK-Hammerlock, IWF, WZW, but I don't even think half of them are active anymore.

If someone asked me about British Wrestling now, I'd have no idea. I understand Challenge TV have just started to do a weekly round up of what's happening across the UK Scene, but other than that there's very little.

There were a ton of promotions I'd see 10 years ago, FWA, RQW, UK-Hammerlock, IWF, WZW, but I don't even think half of them are active anymore.

A few are still around (Hammerlock, I believe), but the others died for all the usual indy-wrestling reasons. There's only a few moderately sized British promotions now (PCW, RevPro, Southside and maybe some more I'm forgetting), but everything in general seems on a much smaller scale than it did 10-15 years ago.

Incidentally, I would be remiss if I failed to mention the London-based 'PROGRESS Wrestling' - they've had 6 shows so far, all of them have been pretty great and well worth looking into if you're after some modern British wrestling;

http://progresswrestling.com/merch/

A few are still around (Hammerlock, I believe), but the others died for all the usual indy-wrestling reasons. There's only a few moderately sized British promotions now (PCW, RevPro, Southside and maybe some more I'm forgetting), but everything in general seems on a much smaller scale than it did 10-15 years ago.

Incidentally, I would be remiss if I failed to mention the London-based 'PROGRESS Wrestling' - they've had 6 shows so far, all of them have been pretty great and well worth looking into if you're after some modern British wrestling;

http://progresswrestling.com/merch/

I'll check that out.

What I had noticed was that regardless of which promotion was running a show, or where they ran the show, nearly all the 'major' promotions in the UK had the same wrestlers on the card.

Carbon
Assassin
Stone
Brookside
Sloan
Darren Burridge
Dragon Asiu
El Ligero
Iceman
Spud

Also, everyone seemed to have the same gimmick (if any gimmick at all).

Kaladin

You know what was an awesome show that WWE should bring back?

Shotgun Saturday Night

I loved that it was done in a nightclub. Why can't they shoot a C show like Main Event in a night club?

Or even better, why can't TNA run Impact in a night club? It would provide a much better atmosphere and television presentation than they get from a 1/3 sold arena.

Mr. Luchador said:
What I had noticed was that regardless of which promotion was running a show, or where they ran the show, nearly all the 'major' promotions in the UK had the same wrestlers on the card.

Carbon
Assassin
Stone
Brookside
Sloan
Darren Burridge
Dragon Asiu
El Ligero
Iceman
Spud

Also, everyone seemed to have the same gimmick (if any gimmick at all).

It's still pretty much like that - the best guys, El Ligero, Mastiff, Noam Dar, Zack Sabre, Marty Scurll, Spud, Nathan Cruz, etc, appear all over the country but, while there really aren't all that many gimmicks in modern British wrestling, I think there's more character and charisma now than there has been in the near-past.

Or even better, why can't TNA run Impact in a night club? It would provide a much better atmosphere and television presentation than they get from a 1/3 sold arena.

I guess it's because they're so insistent on trying to be WWE, for all intents and purposes, rather than trying to be different - you see wrestling in a club or even somewhere like the Hammerstein and you think ECW or indy wrestling.

Mr. Luchador said:
What's today's date in reference to?

Smoking weed.

strobogo

Banned
I'd really like a pack of the syndicated weekend shows from 2001ish or so. Jakked/Metal. I bet a lot of interesting future indie stars and WCW/ECW dudes that never made it to the big shows are all over it. I also want a Kanyon in WWF comp from Raw/Smackdown/PPV/Heat/Velocity/Jakked/Metal/OVW/HWA. I really want that a lot.

It's still pretty much like that - the best guys, El Ligero, Mastiff, Noam Dar, Zack Sabre, Marty Scurll, Spud, Nathan Cruz, etc, appear all over the country but, while there really aren't all that many gimmicks in modern British wrestling, I think there's more character and charisma now than there has been in the near-past.

That's good to know. I know we've never really been about 'the gimmicks', but at times it makes it slightly hard to remember who is who. Yet, I'll always remember Darren Burridge, as his Charver/Townie character was amazing.

Smoking weed.

My sheltered Northern ways. I had no idea.

Today is also record store day.

Those places still exist?

I used to love my local record store - they were known nationwide as one of the best stockists of rare vinyl, yet the 90's weren't very kind to them (especially once supermarkets started selling CDs & DVDs for super cheap) and what's left of the place today is pretty pathetic.

Kaladin

Those places still exist?

I used to love my local record store - they were known nationwide as one of the best stockists of rare vinyl, yet the 90's weren't very kind to them (especially once supermarkets started selling CDs & DVDs for super cheap) and what's left of the place today is pretty pathetic.

They're all over the US, all the major cities have them and they're spreading to smaller cities more and more. Most of them are independently owned.

They're all over the US, all the major cities have them and they're spreading to smaller cities more and more. Most of them are independently owned.

That sounds like here in the UK 15 years ago - every town had an independent record store, now they're mostly all gone, or shadows of their former selves. Sucks.

Kaladin

2CW has a free IPPV tonight at 8pm EST. The card looks pretty darn good for a free show. Here is the link to watch 2CW Living On The Edge VIII

* 2CW Title Match: Kevin Steen vs. John Hennigan
* No Holds Barred: Spike Dudley vs. Masada
* Matt Hardy vs. Sami Callihan
* Colt Cabana vs. Slyck Wagner Brown
* Stairway to Hell: Jason Axe vs. Isys Ephex
* 2CW Tag Team Title Challenge: The Punisher VanSlyke & Kevin Graham vs. TBA
* Also appearing: Rachel Summerlyn, Colin Delaney, Super Smash Brothers, Bin Hamin and ZSIII

Kevin Steen lost the 2CW title last night to Isys Ephex, so the Stairway to Hell match is now for the belt and the Steen/Morrison match is just a match.

Top Bottom