• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

April Wrasslin |OT| DO DO, DO DO DO-DO-DO, DO-DO-DO, DO-DOOOOO DO-DO

Kaladin

There's a lot of great wrestling throughout the indies, but booking is another matter - if you're looking for intricate, well booked storylines, they're in short supply at the moment. It's not like 2003-2006 when Gabe was kicking ass as booker for ROH. A lot of his recent stuff for DGUSA & EVOLVE has fallen flat, imo. CHIKARA do long-term stuff really well, but the problem is that, sometimes, the storyline doesn't always seem that great while it's occurring. ROH have a nice storyline going at the moment which seems to be leading to the redemption of Kevin Steen, but it'll take time to see if Delirious can sustain the current good booking for any length of time. PWG are much more storyline-light, but make up for it with a kick-ass in-ring product.

I always get the feeling that Gabe is limited by what he can do with talent from Japan, and with Japan taking his USA talent so he can't really do anything long term with anyone. Chikara hasn't been that great in the storyline department for a while now....honestly since their first PPV it has been kinda dragging.

As I said on the last page, the only company that really seems to be trying with big storylines right now is TNA. Whether you like them or not, they always have a storyline going behind their wrestling, and Bishoff and Co. usually have it planned out for months.

tm24

Speaking of storylines, am i the only one who doesn't care at all anymore about the Chikara storyline right now? I just don't care. It's a real terrible comic book story arc that's going nowhere and they'll rush the ending.

As for PWG, the storylines are really what WWE should do. Things get built up and built up until they blowoff in a Guerrilla Warfare match. Human Tornado/Chris Hero was just simple booking done so well

I always get the feeling that Gabe is limited by what he can do with talent from Japan, and with Japan taking his USA talent so he can't really do anything long term with anyone. Chikara hasn't been that great in the storyline department for a while now....honestly since their first PPV it has been kinda dragging.

As I said on the last page, the only company that really seems to be trying with big storylines right now is TNA. Whether you like them or not, they always have a storyline going behind their wrestling, and Bishoff and Co. usually have it planned out for months.

The story driven stuff just doesn't seem to be the style at the moment. And yeah, I definitely agree that Gabe's most likely hamstrung by the Japanese DG office. The big storyline at the moment is Gargano's turn, but he only turned because the fans were getting tired of him as champ and they only got tired of him as champ because Gabe had no one else to put the belt on (presumably because he couldn't guarantee Japanese talent, or that guys wouldn't head to WWE shortly after).

tm24 said:
Speaking of storylines, am i the only one who doesn't care at all anymore about the Chikara storyline right now? I just don't care. It's a real terrible comic book story arc that's going nowhere and they'll rush the ending.

I lost all interest after Jigsaw turned on Quack because, to my mind, the whole thing had been building towards Quack turning. It just seemed bizarre. Then Wink fucking around with the teams at King of Trios, the extended ant family, etc. I can't see where it's going and while, sometimes, that's a good thing, in this case I don't feel it's been as strongly thought-out as previous CHIKARA storylines.

Kaladin

You know, WWE has the best of indie wrestling's roster in the past 5 or so years, and the #1 guy fans would want to see book them on NXT in Paul Heyman.

It will never happen though because WWE hates our money.

Quack or whoever is booking chikara is doing a good job with storylines. Thy have multi year storylines that have call backs to their history.

Chikara continuity is insane.

CHIKARA is amazing, but I think it's style puts people off. Also Quack is to annoy me, which I thought would never happen. He's too involved (and somewhat been the same Indy Superhero Guy for 15 years).

There's a lot of great wrestling throughout the indies, but booking is another matter - if you're looking for intricate, well booked storylines, they're in short supply at the moment. It's not like 2003-2006 when Gabe was kicking ass as booker for ROH. A lot of his recent stuff for DGUSA & EVOLVE has fallen flat, imo. CHIKARA do long-term stuff really well, but the problem is that, sometimes, the storyline doesn't always seem that great while it's occurring. ROH have a nice storyline going at the moment which seems to be leading to the redemption of Kevin Steen, but it'll take time to see if Delirious can sustain the current good booking for any length of time. PWG are much more storyline-light, but make up for it with a kick-ass in-ring product.

Thanks for this guys.

I am trying to make a decision to start to watch another company - and I want to make the right choice. I know it would be good to watch a bit of everything, but I feel I will get burnt out if I have to do that (it happened to me before).

I was all set to follow ROH this time last week, but a bit iffy now as CHIKARA seems like something I might like (actually never considered it before). I will think about stuff some more.

Aiii

So not worth it
You know, WWE has the best of indie wrestling's roster in the past 5 or so years, and the #1 guy fans would want to see book them on NXT in Paul Heyman.

It will never happen though because WWE hates our money.

Tbh, I have no problem with how NXT is booked by Dusty, Regal and co. Basic wrestling storylines, pre-recorded backstage segments, nothing fancy, nothing too daytime television and plenty of time for matches. Good stuff.

tm24

I lost all interest after Jigsaw turned on Quack because, to my mind, the whole thing had been building towards Quack turning. It just seemed bizarre. Then Wink fucking around with the teams at King of Trios, the extended ant family, etc. I can't see where it's going and while, sometimes, that's a good thing, in this case I don't feel it's been as strongly thought-out as previous CHIKARA storylines.

I felt Jig turning made sense. He was always number 2, felt like Quack used him and if he stepped out of line, Quack punished him. It's Quack doing his "homages" to comic books.

Seriously, i strongly dislike Quack.

Also, Keyser, try some PWG.

http://www.highspots.com/mm5/mercha...creen=PROD&Product_Code=VD_pwg_mystery_vortex

I thought the me touchdown/mysterious stranger. Fued Nd assailANT face turn where really well done .

Touchdown/ACH

Also the rise ofthe spectral envoy was great a King of trios.

Love the colony extreme force.

I felt Jig turning made sense. He was always number 2, felt like Quack used him and if he stepped out of line, Quack punished him. It's Quack doing his "homages" to comic books.

Also, Keyser, try some PWG.

http://www.highspots.com/mm5/mercha...creen=PROD&Product_Code=VD_pwg_mystery_vortex

I don't want to say a bad word against Quack, but he does seem to protect himself an awful lot when he books CHIKARA. Like the Chris Hero feud, I really liked that, but even then looking back Quack was Superman still.

strobogo

Banned
I bet a Dusty/Heyman booked show would be great. 1994-1995 ECW wasn't very far off from mid-late 80s NWA, just with more attitude and weapons.

Definitely check out PWG, Keyser - it may be storyline-light, but the story that's there is told entirely in the ring and the wrestling is top-notch.

Also, it's worth signing up for a free membership on the ROH website, which lets you watch their TV show for free every week - generally I find ROH does a good job of using the TV shows to build to their iPPVs.

Yeah, but Quack was the one losing his cool - he was trying to seriously injure the GEKIDO members at every opportunity (and succeeded in putting out 17 & combatANT), but wouldn't tell anyone why he was so insistent about taking GEKIDO out. He was meant to be Jigsaw's mentor, but abused his trust by going on a vendetta against GEKIDO and costing Jigsaw success in the King of Trios and in the tag title scene. And then, when Jigsaw dared to tell Quack he was acting like an asshole, Quack brushed off his concerns and carried on doing whatever the hell he liked. I thought Jigsaw turning on Quack was justified, for both the reasons above and the reasons you mentioned.

*edit, also, there was meant to be this big mystery about GEKIDO's identities and we kept hearing about how they're former students out for revenge, but we never got any answers and now there's more ants than ever! Fuck knows what's going on.

PWG is the best!

So! Been playing KoC2 and FPR on PSCX2 and they work fantastically (unfortunately, ASPW3 will start but can't get into the menus). I've would like to throw a KoC2 tourney. You just pick your wrestler and I will sim the matches. If I do this, would anyone be interested in participating? Maybe the winner can pick the name of the next thread or something like that.

Thoughts? Would people be cool with this if the tourney winner gets to choose the thread title?

Ithil

Tbh, I have no problem with how NXT is booked by Dusty, Regal and co. Basic wrestling storylines, pre-recorded backstage segments, nothing fancy, nothing too daytime television and plenty of time for matches. Good stuff.

The only problem with Dusty as booker, is he has an inexplicable love for Bo Dallas, who is just awful on every level.

strobogo

Banned
I was playing KOC2 on PCSX, but I could never work out settings to get it to play at normal speed. Either too slow or too fast. And I was bummed you could rename everyone, but they don't show up in the promotion mode renamed.

jmdajr

Man, getting into an argument with Creationist sure is frustrating. It's like going up against Cena, nothing gets through.

To be fair I'm more Agnostic than anything. Sure we might be all here because someone/something, but we are pretty much on our own.

I was playing KOC2 on PCSX, but I could never work out settings to get it to play at normal speed. Either too slow or too fast. And I was bummed you could rename everyone, but they don't show up in the promotion mode renamed.

I didn't have to do anything and it worked right out the gate for me. Guess I got lucky. Can't play ASPW3 though.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
PWG is the best!

Thoughts? Would people be cool with this if the tourney winner gets to choose the thread title?

Sure. Raise the stakes though. Let WrassleGAF be in charge of your Cheat Day on your diet.

jred2k

Man, getting into an argument with Creationist sure is frustrating. It's like going up against Cena, nothing gets through.

To be fair I'm more Agnostic than anything. Sure we might be all here because someone/something, but we are pretty much on our own.

Just remember, if something contradicts god that means hes testing you.

bangai-o

Banned
Is it group hug time?

tumblr_inline_mlbz0yinVo1qz4rgp.gif

KoC2 roster thanks to the fantastic HBoss Save

New Japan Pro Wrestling
-Hiroshi Tanahashi '12
-Hirooki Goto '12
-Tetsuya Naito
-Wataru Sakata
-Togi Makabe '12
-Karl Anderson
-George Hines
-Satoshi Kojima '12
-Hiroyoshi Tenzan '12
-Captain New Japan
-Kengo Kimura
-Tama Tonga
-Norio Honaga
-MVP
-Kazuo Yamazaki
-Manabu Nakanishi '11

CHAOS
-Shinsuke Nakamura 'King of Strong Style' version
-Kazuchika Okada
-Mitsuya Nagai
-Makai #5
-Toru Yano '12
-Takashi Iizuka '12
-Low Ki '12

Complete Players (CHAOS "B")
-Yujiro Takahashi
-Naohiro Hoshikawa
-Jado '11
-Gedo
-YOSHI-HASHI
-Crusher Bam Bam Hirai

Blue Justice
-Yuji Nagata '12
-Wataru inoue '12

Suzuki-Gun
-Minoru Suzuki '12
-Lance Archer
-Jun Izumida
-IZU
-Daveyboy Smith Jr
-Josh Barrnett
-Taichi '12
-Taka Michinoku '12

NJPW Juniors
-Prince Devitt
-Katsushi Takemura
-Ryosuke Taguchi '12
-KUSHIDA '12
-Alex Shelley
-BUSHI
-Hirotaka Yokoi
-Tiger Mask IV '12
-Jushin Thunder Liger '12

PROWRESTLING NOAH

Masao Inoue
Takuma Sano
Yoshinari Ogawa
Akira Taue

S.A.T
Jun Akiyama '12
Go Shiozaki '12
Kotaro Suzuki '12
Mushiking Terry '06
Atsushi Aoki
Akitoshi Saito
Kentaro Shiga '11

BRAVE
Mohammed Yone '11
Takeshi Morishima '11
Naomichi Marufuji '12
Taiji Ishimori '12
Ricky Marvin '12 'Prince of Luchadore'
Takashi Sugiura '11
Atsushi Kotoge '12

No Mercy
KENTA '12
Yoshihiro Takayama
Yoshinobu Kanemaru '12
MAYBACH Taniguchi
Haruka Eigen
Genba Hirayanagi
D-Lo Brown

Diamond Ring
Kensuke Sasaki '12
Katsuhiko Nakajima '12

ZERO1

Masato Tanaka '12
Kohei Saito '12
Ryouji Sai '12
Ikuto Hidaka
Shinjiro Otani
KAMIKAZE '12
Tengu Kaiser
Rikiya Fudo '11
Kuroge Wagyuta
Aussie Beef
FUJITA '11
Hideki Hosaka

DDT
Shuji Ishikawa
Blue Wolf
Kota Ibushi '12
Satoru Asako
Kenny Omega '12
Danshoku Dino '12
MIKAMI '11
King Adamo

Big Japan Pro Wrestling
-Yoshihito Sasaki '12
-Daisuke Sekimoto
-Yuji Okabayashi
-Kuniaki Kobayashi
-Jun Kasai
-Onryo
-Kintaro Kanemura
-FugoFugo Yumeji
-Abdullah the Butcher
-Ryushi Yanagisawa

Freelance
-Tomoaki Honma '12
-AKIRA '11
-Kikutaro '11
-Osamu Namiguchi
-Kantaro Hoshino
-Ultimo Dragon
-El Samurai '12
-Tamon Honda
-Toshizo '11
-Ryuji Hijikata
-Tajiri '11
-Akebono '12
-Yutaka Yoshie '11
-Tsuyoshi Kikuchi
-Funaki '10
-Kishin Kawabata
-Shiro Koshinaka
-Tatsukito Takaiwa
-Black Tiger V
-Hayabusa
-Johnny Smith
-Wolf Hawkfield
-Terry Gordy
-Steve Williams

Michinoku Pro
-Fujita Jr Hayato
-Katsuyori Shibata '12
-Kazushi Sakuraba '12
-Makai#4
-Great Sasuke '12
-Hakushi

Dragon Gate
-Shingo
-Tom Howard
-CIMA
-Dragon Kid
-Masaaki Mochizuki
-Michael Iwasa 'Florida Brothers' version
-TOKYO MAGNUM
-Daniel Mishima 'Florida Brothers'

Osaka Pro
-Kuishinbo Kamen
-Spell Delphin

IGF
-Kazuyuki Fujita
-Kendo KaShin
-Alexander Kozlov
-Naoya Ogawa
-Gigantes

Big Mouth Loud
-Kazunari Murakami
-Katsumi Usuda
-Daisuke Ikeda

Legends
-Antonio Inoki
-Masahito Kakihara
-Giant Baba
-Mitchiyohi Ohara
-Kenta Kobashi '11
-Mitsuharu Misawa '09
-Jumbo Tsuruta
-Stan Hansen
-Mil Mascaras
-Toshiaki Kawada '11
-Original Tiger Mask '12
-Genichiro Tenryu
-Shinya Hashimoto
-Masahiro Chono '11
-Tatsumi Fujinami
-Riki Choshu
-Dynamite Kid
-Richard Slinger
-Yoshiaki Fujiwara
-Osamu Kido
-Gary Albright
-Masa Saito
-The Patriot
-Seiji Sakaguchi
-Giant Kamala

Hall of Fame
-Ric Flair
-Macho Man
-Ricky Steamboat
-Bret Hart
-Steve Austin
-Andre the Giant
-Curt Hennig
-Black Tiger II
-Arn Anderson
-Owen Hart
-Davey Boy Smith
-Rick Rude
-Shinsuke Z Yamagasa
-Jake Roberts
-Hawk
-Animal
-Earthquake
-Typhoon
-Jim Neidhart
-Johnny Ace

WWE Raw/Smackdown/NXT
-CM Punk
-Big Show
-Antonio Cesaro
-Arashi
-John Cena '12
-Randy Orton '12
-Sheamus
-Takashi Uwano
-Ryback
-Scott Norton
-Alberto Del Rio
-Masashi Aoyagi
-Damien Sandow
-Tado Yusuda
-Brodus Clay
-Lord Tensai
-Kofi
-Kishin Kiwabata
-Daniel Bryan
-Kazushi Miyamoto
-Kane '12
-Rey Mysterio
-Sin Cara
-Zack Ryder
-Masayuki Naruse
-Santino Marella '12
-Makai#2
-Darren Young
-Titus O'Neil
-Super Strong Machine
-Junji Hirata
-Mark Henry
-Buchanan
-The Undertaker '10
-Wade Barrett
-Kassius Ohno
-Hiro Saito
-Yoshi Tatsu
-William Regal '12
-Ricardo Rodriguez
-Booker T
-Goldust
-Great Khali '12
-Ted Dibiase Jr
-Nobutaka Araya
-Ezekiel Jackson
-Brock Lesnar '12
-Edge '12
-Triple H
-Kevin Nash
-Vansack Acid
-JBL
-Dean Malenko
-Bam Bam Bigalow
-Chris Benoit

TNA
-Jeff Hardy '12
-AJ Styles
-Samoa Joe '13
-Kurt Angle
-Magnus '13
-CW Anderson
-RVD
-Sting '13
-Hulk Hogan
-Curry Man

CMLL
-Rush
-La Sombra
-Okumura '12
-Strongman '11

01 World (Free Agents)
-Super Crazy '12 (changed)
-Shelton Benjamin '12
-El Generico '12
-Takeshi Rikio
-Sabu
-Big Van Vader
-Big Daddy '11
-Konnan
-Tomohiro Ishii
-Finlay
-Nacho
-Steve Corino
-Bill Goldberg
-Disco Inferno
-Kazuhiko Ogasawara
-Alex Wright
-Val Venis
-Raven
-Scott Steiner
-Ric Steiner
-Diamond Dallas Page
-Chris Kanyon
-Umaga
-Jamal

there you go. Let's pick and do this! Dibs on Okada.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
No Batista makes me conflicted, therefore my choice will be

DISCO INFERNO

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Jesus Christ, that looks like a deformed Jack Swagger.

Top Bottom