• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

April Wrasslin |OT| DO DO, DO DO DO-DO-DO, DO-DO-DO, DO-DOOOOO DO-DO

I love Zbysko. Such a great voice.

Underrated but he wasn't given much shine on Nitro since he was only featured in the first hour. And I can't remember if he worked Thunder (I NEVER watched Saturday night).

I didn't like Heenan in WCW. He just seemed to be like Jerry Lawler now, trying to crack jokes and a distraction.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Underrated but he wasn't given much shine on Nitro since he was only featured in the first hour. And I can't remember if he worked Thunder (I NEVER watched Saturday night).

I didn't like Heenan in WCW. He just seemed to be like Jerry Lawler now, trying to crack jokes and a distraction.

Heenan's biggest issue in WCW was that while he was a larger than life, goofy dude, WCW didn't DO goofy well when it would try. Sad truth is, Heenan was out of place in the late 90s.

The guy could obviously be serious. He cut a serious promo all the time in the 80s since he obviously had to do it numerous times for the workers he managed.

Honestly, the 90s weren't a good time for color/Heel commentators. Paul Heyman was good in 2001.

jred2k

Umm you guys are forgetting greatness.

vlcsnap-00069_zpsa6a26fcc.png

AngryTenay.jpg

tna2624.png

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
The guy could obviously be serious. He cut a serious promo all the time in the 80s since he obviously had to do it numerous times for the workers he managed.

Honestly, the 90s weren't a good time for color/Heel commentators. Paul Heyman was good in 2001.

I'm trying to think back but I don't think Heenan ever did a bone-chilling promo or something where I feared him. He can be serious like you said yeah - but never really all to sinister, according to my memory. He was always like this amazing circus sideshow promoter. Good times.

FyreWulff

I always wonder if Tenay would ever have a WWE run or he wouldn't work well under the Vince-yelling-in-ear style of commentating and having to call everything either a throw or a hold.

I've heard that they've started to give workers bullet points for promos instead of fully scripting them.

Maybe they should do the same for the commentators, segment by segment.

I don't know much about commentators since I get the spanish broadcasts, but from all the history matches I've seen, I loved J.R. and I also loved Gorilla Monsoon

And even in spanish, we still cringed the heel Michael Cole era.

-----------------

On another point, I really want to see Smackdown today

ambrose2.png

FyreWulff

I mean I respect that Vince has built his company, but he really just needs to retire and step down. You need to let HHH and others run things their way, the micromanagement style is just going to not let anyone else learn how to handle the company.

You've got piles of money, just take a nice vacation and don't die in the ring.

Wait...what?

The former Mascarita Dorada, who was probably the best mini in Mexico, is in developmental. It’s notable because WWE doesn’t use “midgets” and I could see him being used more in a mascot role like Hornswoggle, aimed at little kids. I’m not sure stylistically Hornswoggle would be a great foe for him but Dorada would almost have to be a face and I guess at this point going heel with Hornswoggle could revitalize him since he’s pretty much disappeared of late. Hornswoggle is heavy enough that if he was taught how to be a good base, they could probably do some cool stuff. At the same time, WWE brought in Mexican minis in the 90s including Tzuki, who was incredible back then, and they made him more comedy and it never really clicked.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brdEp5Gue94

Sod Hornsawggle, I want to see him wrestle Cesaro.

jred2k

Vince is just gonna have him come out and announce that Ricardo is coming out to announce ADR. Its kind of going to be like a Matroyshka doll.

NJPW, "ROAD TO WRESTLING DONTAKU", 2013.04.21
Osaka BODYMAKER COLOSSEUM #2
1,500 Fans - Super No Vacancy

http://www.dailymotion.com/playlist/x2lvym

01. Jushin 'Thunder' Liger & Tiger Mask vs BUSHI & Yohei Komatsu
02. Time Splitters (Alex Shelley & KUSHIDA), Maximo & Captain New Japan vs CHAOS (Forever Hooligans (Rocky Romero & Alex Koslov), Jado & YOSHI-HASHI)
03. Yuji Nagata & Hirooki Goto vs Hiromu Takahashi & Takaaki Watanabe
04. TenKoji (Hiroyoshi Tenzan & Satoshi Kojima) vs CHAOS (Toru Yano & Takashi Iizuka) vs Muscle Orchestra (Strong Man & Manabu Nakanishi)
05. GBH (Togi Makabe & Tomoaki Honma) vs CHAOS (Masato Tanaka & Yujiro Takahashi)
06. Hiroshi Tanahashi & Ryusuke Taguchi vs 'Machine Gun' Karl Anderson & Tama Tonga
07. 8-MAN ELIMINATION TAG: CHAOS (Kazuchika Okada, Shinsuke Nakamura, Tomohiro Ishii & Gedo) vs Suzuki-gun (Minoru Suzuki, Shelton Benjamin, TAKA Michinoku & Taichi)

Good main event, I love elimination matches. Also, Tanahashi & Taguchi vs Anderson & Tonga is worth checking out, GBH vs Tanaka & Yujiro is pretty good and I also enjoyed Nagata & Goto beating the crap out of the young lions in the 3rd match. Fun stuff.

strobogo

Banned
This might be sacrilege, but I think Jesse Venture might have been better in WCW than the WWF. He was always marking out for good wrasslin and it was very enjoyable. I don't think Jesse/Tony was a better team than Jesse/Vince or Jesse/Gorilla, though. I do think Jesse/Tony was one of the best teams WCW ever had.

Got the first 12 episodes of Shawn Michael's Texas Wrestling Academy TV show 'Total Impact' and man, this is some rough TV. Paul Diamond/Max Moon is playing a character called 'Venom' and Rudy Boy Gonzales is a heel TV champ and is just awful. Episode three has a great Spanky vs American Dragon match, though. Here, have a gif of Rudy Boy tripping up as he tries to get back in the ring;

ih6cPuyj7nhJH.gif

Got the first 12 episodes of Shawn Michael's Texas Wrestling Academy TV show 'Total Impact' and man, this is some rough TV. Paul Diamond/Max Moon is playing a character called 'Venom' and Rudy Boy Gonzales is a heel TV champ and is just awful. Episode three has a great Spanky vs American Dragon match, though. Here, have a gif of Rudy Boy tripping up as he tries to get back in the ring;

ih6cPuyj7nhJH.gif

I want 'botching' to be someone's actual gimmick. Has that happened before?

I guess Emma kinda has it - but not all out.

Only if Sting comes out to Crow Sting with the music and everything and descends from the top of the arena only to be beaten by The Shield and they send Sting back up with him slumped over.

That gif. Man, oh man. That gif. A guy who can't even get in the ring is who trained The Dazzler, Spanky, and Paul London.

It's pretty mind-blowing. I knew Rudy Boy sucked from his ROH stuff in 2002, but I thought that maybe he was just getting old and fat - but, if anything, he somehow looks worse on this TWA stuff from 1999. Also, what a career he had! Trained by Manny Fernandez, he made his debut in 1982, was a perennial jobber for Texan promotions in the NWA throughout the 80's, a jobber for WCW, then WWF and then UWA in the early 90's before disappearing into Texas-indy sleaze anonymity until Shawn Michaels made him trainer for his Texas Wrestling Academy. Bizarre.

Looking at those old Sting videos, I want Sting to beat The Shield.

Only if it's Surfer Sting.

Keyser Soze said:
I want 'botching' to be someone's actual gimmick. Has that happened before?

Various Japanese comedy wrestlers have run with it - Gran Naniwa didn't botch, as such, but would take an age to do a move only to have it countered/avoided. Also, Kikutaro regularly botches the Oldschool rope walk (crotching himself) and generally tries moves that way too ambitious (like trying to bodyslam Akebono). Stalker Ichikawa's good at being inept, too;

iJov5ymBP7lh0.gif

bangai-o

Banned
Only if Sting comes out to Crow Sting with the music and everything and descends from the top of the arena only to be beaten by The Shield and they send Sting back up with him slumped over.
didnt Sting just scare away 8 members of Aces and 8s? why would three members of Shield pose a challenge?

This might be sacrilege, but I think Jesse Venture might have been better in WCW than the WWF.
Yo, you just refreshed my memory. I forgot he was there with Tony. I forgot he was there in the 90s.

I take back what I said about NWA/WCW commentary. It was good during that time.

And I was just watching that 30-minute interview on YouTube and I really wish Sting would've wrestled Taker in Mania, entered into the WWE HOF and gotten a comprehensive DVD.

Top Bottom