• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

April Wrasslin |OT| DO DO, DO DO DO-DO-DO, DO-DO-DO, DO-DOOOOO DO-DO

Man God

Non-Canon Member
It's not just wrestling, but the storylines bottomed out, too. I haven't seen an engaging and interesting storyline yet. They're all super basic, except for the Raven/Dreamer thing, which is just generic feuding tag partners that happen to have a big history.

ECW was always not the greatest on storytelling. The only really memorable thing to happen was Mick Foley's heel turn.

strobogo

Banned
No way. 1994-1997 had great, interesting, and cutting edge story lines. This stuff is wrestling 101 with a bunch of tables. The only guys that have a real, defined storyline are Dreamer vs Raven and Dreamer/Raven vs Impact Players. The story telling was really the defining characteristic of ECW during the "glory years". The way that seemingly every feud was connected all up and down the card and would bleed into each other while doing more than just "good guy is mad at bad guy, x wants x's title" was a massive departure from what was going on in the big two at the time.

This era suffered from WWF and WCW stealing their style and doing it with a lot more money and talent. So it has this weird rip off of Russoish stuff vibe when it's really the other way around. It's like ECW was ripping off WWF/WCW ripping off ECW. That's kind of what these shows are feeling like.

Yep, ECW in 1995-1997 was Taz vs. Sabu and EVERYTHING else was some kind of byproduct of Raven vs. Tommy Dreamer. Everyone had their own feuds with their own issues, but on the outside it still came down to their allegiance to either Raven or Dreamer. Taz and Sabu were the only two guys who had no stake in that feud.

strobogo

Banned
It's really amazing how entertaining 1994-1995 ECW is even with a lot of really terrible wrestlers. And not in a so bad its good, but for real engrossing pro wrasslin television.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Looks like my memories are betraying me, though to be fair I watched almost no wrestling back then, only hung out with people who did. I basically stopped cold turkey sometime in 1992 and picked it up the night after Wrestlemania XV I think, the one in Boston where Austin became Champ. What a fantastic RAW that was and Nitro wasn't bad either.

strobogo

Banned
You missed out on a lot of great (and a LOT of awful) stuff from all 3 US companies. You missed Dustin Rhodes vs The Studd Stable in WCW, all of peak ECW, pre-injury Stone Cold, the US vs Canada angle, peak-post Hogan WCW in the height of the nWo and best mid card in the world.

But you also missed out on horrendous gimmicks like most non-Sting/Dustin/Blondes related stuff in WCW from 1993-1996, almost everything in WWF 1995, and a lot of ECW stuff that was mixed in with the great things they had going. I mean if you missed most everything from 1992-1998, you missed most of the best wrestling in the US in the 90s. I don't even know how you could catch someone up on something like that.

strobogo

Banned
I had an Action Zone tape from probably 1996 that had a number of good matches on it. I wish they still did stuff like they did up until 1997ish and would tape matches that wouldn't go on main shows and release them on comps. Some of the best matches from 1992-1996 were on Colosseum Home Video releases and not on TV or PPV. Like all the best Macho stuff from 1992 until he left, a ton of awesome Bret and Shawn stuff, things like Bret/Owen vs The Steiners, and so on.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
So if anyone likes Chikara, and want more of the silly stuff. There is always Osaka Pro Wrestling. If you want serious wrestling that accepts and then laughs when they screw up, there is always Osaka Pro Wrestling.

Kuishinbo Kamen vs Kyusei Ninja Ranmaru
http://youtu.be/b2qwWeBnObc

Tag Festival Final 2010
http://youtu.be/Xc-2LK1h2MM

I posted both in the other thread, but I guess it does make more sense to do it here.

Watching AR Fox vs Tim Donst from the Wrestling is Respect show, real fun event, well worth the $4.99.

AR Fox hits a 450 with limited headroom;

iZQYQpXB7cblT.gif

That generally has me interested. I've seen way too many shows where someone tries for a flip and it just ends up horrible for them with nearly the exact same situation. Kudos to AR Fox for being able to handle it.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
You missed out on a lot of great (and a LOT of awful) stuff from all 3 US companies. You missed Dustin Rhodes vs The Studd Stable in WCW, all of peak ECW, pre-injury Stone Cold, the US vs Canada angle, peak-post Hogan WCW in the height of the nWo and best mid card in the world.

But you also missed out on horrendous gimmicks like most non-Sting/Dustin/Blondes related stuff in WCW from 1993-1996, almost everything in WWF 1995, and a lot of ECW stuff that was mixed in with the great things they had going. I mean if you missed most everything from 1992-1998, you missed most of the best wrestling in the US in the 90s. I don't even know how you could catch someone up on something like that.

A lot of poorly taped seasons on the intertrons, dvd ppv's for the major WWE shows and written records. I've caught up on a lot of it but I hadn't even heard of WCW until that year when people started marking out left and right.

Aiii

So not worth it
What a heel. That totally makes me want to boo her.

This is wwe.com we're speaking of, where every article is a gamble on the level of kayfabe maintained.

In this on it's pretty much comepletely OOC, minus the Dolph stuff at the start heh. Still it's a nice insight in AJ's life.

Aiii

So not worth it
KEV9EAh.png

...I am sure her parents would approve of Ziggles though!

Damn skippy! Ziggler is the first of her on-screen boyfriends that isn't an asshole to her. And Big E seems pretty damn protective of the girl as well.

Bryan was an asshole, Punk led her on and then dropped her when she got to pushy without actually just telling her, Cena ruined her carreer (THAT'S WHAT HE DO!) and Kane, well Kane was actually nice and dumped her like a normal person would.

Hm. Why is this team heel again?

strobogo

Banned
A lot of poorly taped seasons on the intertrons, dvd ppv's for the major WWE shows and written records. I've caught up on a lot of it but I hadn't even heard of WCW until that year when people started marking out left and right.

Some things I think you must see:

Stone Cold's run from the Summer of 1996 to the Summer of 1997. It's fucking awesome. Especially at the beginning when he stood out so much from everything else going on in the WWF. The neck injury happened in the Summer of 1997, on top of the knee injury, and he wasn't quite the same again, but before that he was amazing.

The Sandman/Tommy Cairo feud with led into the Dreamer/Sandman feud which then bled into the Raven/Dreamer feud. For my money, I think the tail end of the Cairo/Sandman and into Dreamer/Sandman was the best feud ECW ever did. Raven/Dreamer is good, but I've always felt Dreamer/Sandman was better. And actually, I think Raven/Sandman was better than Dreamer/Raven. Basically you need to watch most of ECW 1994-1995 since all of those feuds are connected and interwoven, plus you'll get a lot of good stuff with Eddie/Dean/Benoit/Eliminators/Jericho/Scorpio/random Japanese dudes. There is also the Taz/Sabu feud, which was pretty much all of 1996 and 1997.

For WCW, you need to see the Dustin Rhodes vs Studd Stable feud, for starters. You might also want to dip back into the Dangerous Alliance era if you missed it, because that shit was awesome. Vader vs Sting, any Hollywood Blondes you can get a hold of, the 1995 Savage/Flair feud which I think was their best work together, the Sting/Luger storyline where Lex was a heel and Sting was a face but they were still bros, pretty much any midcard stuff from early 1996 to 1999, late Spring of 1996-Fallish of 1996 for nWo stuff then skip ahead to Fall of 1997 because it's exactly the same shit for that whole year. All the cruiser/tag/hardcore stuff for the first 4-5 months of 1999 were really good.

It's really a massive amount of stuff to watch. I think the best way to watch it is to actually watch all the weekly shows. Complete years worth of main WCW/WWF shows and PPVs are pretty easy to find online from 1995/1996 on. Not totally sure about ECW. It's pretty much impossible to find full years of WCW shows before Nitro came along. It's just such a commitment and if you watch a whole year of shows, you aren't really that excited to watch another 80 gigs of shows right away.

I wish WWE did more full feud comps. They don't need the shoot interviews like Bret vs HBK. Just a full chronicle of promos and matches from specific feuds. I'd much rather get something like that than DVDs produced on one guy. I want a god damn Dustin vs Studd Stable DVD, god damnit. I want a Randy Savage vs Ric Flair 1991-1999 DVD, god damn it. I want a Raven vs Dreamer vs Sandman DVD, god damn it. I want a Sting vs the Dangerous Alliance DVD, god damn it. I want a Bret vs Stone Cold DVD, god damn it.

GOD DAMN IT.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Damn skippy! Ziggler is the first of her on-screen boyfriends that isn't an asshole to her. And Big E seems pretty damn protective of the girl as well.

Bryan was an asshole, Punk led her on and then dropped her when she got to pushy without actually just telling her, Cena ruined her carreer (THAT'S WHAT HE DO!) and Kane, well Kane was actually nice and dumped her like a normal person would.

Hm. Why is this team heel again?
BECAUSE

ZIGGLER

Is a man

WHO GYRATES

HIS BUTT

NOT ON MY WATCH

NOT IN MY AMERICA

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Emma at Wrestlemania? In the ring? Someone I actually know competing? Truly a dream, because I know such a thing just isn't possible with WWE. At best Paige and Emma will be seen bringing out a Hall of Fame member.

Right now I would just settle for the Diva's championship being a shared title between WWE proper with Raw and Smackdown and the other shows, and NXT and just passed back and forth. That is reasonable to believe could happen with this company.

She's from New Jersey for crying out loud!

Does Mark Henry still live in New Jersey? I know he used to and the gym he supported is still going.

Some things I think you must see:

Stone Cold's run from the Summer of 1996 to the Summer of 1997. It's fucking awesome. Especially at the beginning when he stood out so much from everything else going on in the WWF. The neck injury happened in the Summer of 1997, on top of the knee injury, and he wasn't quite the same again, but before that he was amazing.

The only Stone Cold Steve Austin I actually liked in ring and promos consistently. Nothing seem exaggerated in his actions (beyond normal for wrestling moves), no overpowered take out the entire roster like no one but him mattered, no catchphrases constantly uttered, just a mean and cruel man in the ring and out because he wanted to he was ruthless to succeed. Easily worth watching now and great matches that more than stand the test of time

Ithil

She's from New Jersey for crying out loud!

Meltzer said in the latest Observer Newsletter that there was talk over the weekend of adding Kaitlyn and AJ to the Tag Titles match with a winner takes all stipulation, but nothing has been changed yet. He also seemed fairly disgusted by Cesaro being left off the card so far.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Guys, please stop with the gifs like that. I get that they're not explicit or graphic, but please use your head. Would your boss be okay with that if he saw it on your screen? Especially if it were just a quick glance or scroll through? Don't post stuff like that. Please remove what you have already posted or I will do it for you.

Aiii

So not worth it
Just to clarify Y2Kev (not trying to be a smartass, genuine question), are we talking about the Emma gifs or the ECW/Deathmatch gifs?

jred2k

Just to clarify Y2Kev (not trying to be a smartass, genuine question), are we talking about the Emma gifs or the ECW/Deathmatch gifs?

Could actually mean the Rosa gifs too. Those gifs are kinda big and hard to ignore if someone was to walk past your computer.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
The rosa gifs. But there are more. I had to scroll past 10-15 posts spamming AJ's ass gifs a few pages ago. Stop it. Thank you!

The ECW gifs are okay.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Nobody's touchin those bitchin Emma gifs because nothin's wrong!

I really should make some Batista gifs someday...

Aiii

So not worth it
Is it me or...

Morristown, N.J. — Taking a detour from The Road to WrestleMania 29, The Great Khali, Hornswoggle, Vickie Guerrero and Rosa Mendes stopped in at Goryeb Children’s Hospital to surprise its patients and their families.

...Is this the worst selection of superstars they ever send out for one of these promotions?

jred2k

Is it me or...

...Is this the worst selection of superstars they ever send out for one of these promotions?

What do you mean? If I was a sick child I'd definitely want to meet the woman that always gets booed for shrieking "Excuse ME!"

Top Bottom