• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

April Wrasslin |OT| DO DO, DO DO DO-DO-DO, DO-DO-DO, DO-DOOOOO DO-DO

Spider from Mars

tap that thorax
Do you guys want to have a prayer vigil for WWE?
Reijon%20prayer%20vigil.jpg

Kaladin

This was really lacking in the things that make Mania special. No celebrity involvement outside of musical performances, no backstage promos, no America the Beautiful, no fireworks/pre-show pyro, no flyover.

It just felt like a PPV with 3 big matches in a stadium....and Undertaker and Triple H got special entrances.

The super high praise for Punk/Taker is a bit surprising to me. It was a good match, but I'm not seeing the "OMG 4.5/5, AMAZING MATCH, MOTY." It was amazing in comparison to the rest of the show, but on its own it's simply "fine." It doesn't feel like something I'll need to rewatch anytime soon, if at all.

Entropia

No One Remembers
This was really lacking in the things that make Mania special. No celebrity involvement outside of musical performances, no backstage promos, no America the Beautiful, no fireworks/pre-show pyro, no flyover.

It just felt like a PPV with 3 big matches in a stadium....and Undertaker and Triple H got special entrances.

Seriously.

It felt like a dis-jointed chain of matches. At 8 and 9 is when you should've had Taker/Punk and Brock/HHH.

dream

The super high praise for Punk/Taker is a bit surprising to me. It was a good match, but I'm not seeing the "OMG 4.5/5, AMAZING MATCH, MOTY." It was amazing in comparison to the rest of the show, but on its own it's simply "fine." It doesn't feel like something I'll need to rewatch anytime soon, if at all.

I'm with you. I actually thought both HHH/Undertaker fights were better than Punk/Undertaker.

PS: Boootaay, can you explain Suzuki's hair to me?

Kaladin

Another caller who enjoyed the whole show and said Punk vs Taker was the best match he had seen IN HIS LIFE.

WTF. Part of the problem.

Spider from Mars

tap that thorax

Still coming down from the high of being there.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
And yet it had the best build between Dwayne & Cena.
And the better Trips vs. Undertaker match.
And featured Edge's last major pay-per-view wrestling appearance.
And a Daniel Bryan vs. Sheamus match that lasted longer than 18 seconds.
And perhaps the finest bit of any WWE programming The Miz has ever been involved with (that pre-main event match promo).

Why? The tease of Rock wrestling again deluded you into thinking that's a good build? To a match everyone knew was going to suck anyways?
I preferred the second one
I don't like Edge and he curtain jerked anyways
Except it was a dark match and the majority of people saw it for 0 seconds
A Diddy fan! Where were you during his performance tonight?

Slizeezyc

HHH's matches with Taker were much better. It just stood out tonight because of the rest of the card.

I don't agree with that. Triple H/Taker was like every other Triple H match in recent memory. Edge/Taker and HBK/Taker were better than tonight though.

I'm with you. I actually thought both HHH/Undertaker fights were better than Punk/Undertaker.

I didn't like the HHH/Taker matches as much as some did either. I remember people going crazy for the HHH tombstone spot, even thinking HHH was actually about to break the streak, but meh.

Kaladin

This guy must be a gaffer.

Disappointed that Dolph didn't cash in, disappointed in no Orton heel turn, disappointed in Fandango's debut.

dream

I didn't like the HHH/Taker matches as much as some did either. I remember people going crazy for the HHH tombstone spot, even thinking HHH was actually about to break the streak, but meh.

See, I'm in that camp. I absolutely believed it was plausible for HHH to break the streak because, well, it's HHH. It added a fun little meta level to the fights.

Kaladin

After Punk couldn't break the streak this year in the twilight of Taker's career, I highly doubt anyone will be able to break it. In fact at this point, the only person that makes sense is Kane. If they're not going to give it to someone like Punk who is in prime position to make the best out of it, might as well not give it to anyone other than Taker's brother.

Ithil

After Punk couldn't break the streak this year in the twilight of Taker's career, I highly doubt anyone will be able to break it. In fact at this point, the only person that makes sense is Kane. If they're not going to give it to someone like Punk who is in prime position to make the best out of it, might as well not give it to anyone other than Taker's brother.

Vince probably thinks Cena should get it in the main event of WM XXX, "passing the torch".

See, I'm in that camp. I absolutely believed it was plausible for HHH to break the streak because, well, it's HHH. It added a fun little meta level to the fights.

I never bought that Mr. H's could win, not for a second. And truthfully, I don't need to believe that Taker will lose, the matches just didn't do much for me. They went for the whole "messy brawl" match, but no one in the company knows how to work those matches anymore aside from that Shield match at TLC 2012 which was an amazing car crash.

My one word thought on tonight:

Safe.

WWE played it super-safe with the finishes. No big surprises. Punk-Taker was best match by a country mile.

Spider from Mars

tap that thorax
My one word thought on tonight:

Safe.

WWE played it super-safe with the finishes. No big surprises. Punk-Taker was best match by a country mile.
No alarms and no surprises (let me out of here)
No alarms and no surprises (let me out of here)
No alarms and no surprises please (let me out of here)

Slizeezyc

I never bought that Mr. H's could win, not for a second. And truthfully, I don't need to believe that Taker will lose, the matches just didn't do much for me. They went for the whole "messy brawl" match, but no one in the company knows how to work those matches anymore aside from that Shield match at TLC 2012 which was an amazing car crash.

My most-watched WWE match this year, think I've watched it like 4-5 times. Such a good car crash, and DBry was certainly MVP of that match.

Hey guys, the big three matches were won by a guy who has been the focus of the show for close to a decade, a 48 year old semi-retired guy, and a 43 year old semi-retired guy

Dave Meltzer just said outside of Punk/Taker no match on that card was as good as the worst match on the NJPW show. DAMN!

Kaladin

Apparently they shot a bunch of backstage segments which were bumped and they had a lot more for the app but the app crashed so they never even pushed that throughout the night.

My most-watched WWE match this year, think I've watched it like 4-5 times. Such a good car crash, and DBry was certainly MVP of that match.

That match is what HHH/Brock should been at Mania, obviously minus the high flying stuff. A fast paced, messy brawl. Just total destruction of the ringside area, and big slams in the ring. Likewise, Henry/Ryback should've been more Japanese style "tough guys throwing bombs," but it lacked energy. Rock/Cena was way too safe as well. Did they even leave the ring? And it devolved into nothing, with both guys trading lifts for their finishers.

Ithil

Apparently they shot a bunch of backstage segments which were bumped and they had a lot more for the app but the app crashed so they never even pushed that throughout the night.

Global juggernaut and they have as many problems as EVOLVE's low budget show.

WWE needs to capitalize on Bryan being the most over guy at Wrestlemania. Can you imagine the scene of Byan on his knees in tears after just winning the WWE championship in the main event while the whole crowd chants "Yes!"?

Ithil

CAN WE ALL AGREE THAT ONCE AGAIN THE SHIELD IS THE BEST THING GOING

caps lock necessary

Yeah, basically. They're great. Young, fresh, great workers, good booking, I love the Shield.

WWE needs to capitalize on Bryan being the most over guy at Wrestlemania. Can you imagine the scene of Byan on his knees in tears after just winning the WWE championship in the main event while the whole crowd chants "Yes!"?

But how would that put over Cena as the greatest of all time? I don't see how it helps John Cena. John Cena. John. Cena.

Top Bottom