• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

April Wrasslin |OT| DO DO, DO DO DO-DO-DO, DO-DO-DO, DO-DOOOOO DO-DO

gurudyne

I really can't understand the sentiment that this was the event that pushes people over the edge as far as caring about the WWE. The show just followed a trend that's been going on for months/years. If anything the product is about to get better without all the movie promotion and part-timers taking away screen time for mid and undercard guys.

Biggest match of the year, three months devoted to it and they can't be arsed to do anything worthwhile with their non-part-timer cards. Makes the remaining nine months feel like a waste of time since it's not going to matter come the big shows (SS, RR, WM). True, wrestling's a hobby or whatever, but no one likes to feel like their time is being intentionally wasted or their interests squandered in favor of more casual interests, no matter how infrequently it happens. It taints enjoyment of the hobby.

Rock is done tonight, that is why.

Honestly, I hope so. He's stale, his matches suck, and it's depressing because I'm a big fan of the Rock. He's never coming back full time, so I'd rather he just never comes back at all (as a wrestler)

Edit: This is the main image on WWE.com, WTF move is this? It's like part crossface, part headlock, part chinlock, and 100% worthless

20130407_WM_Rock_Cena_LARGE_L.jpg

Brinbe

Ziggler =(

My biggest disappointment. And shit, just thinking that awesome guys like Cody/Sandow/Cesaro didn't get a chance to even be on this stupid show. Instead I got treated to Puffy and three useless Cena-Rock promos

Striker

What, didn't like his 6-7 min match where he got pinned? What they've done with him since TLC is hilarious. You can see why he would be frustrated.

I hope The Rock is actually done. He's still alright on the mic, being pretty much the only babyface in the company that can actually control the crowd, but his matches have been lackluster. Stick to movies, Dwayne, that's your lane now.

Aside from an Austin/Punk feud, I'm over the old guys. I want to see the WWE live or die pushing a new generation.

Kaladin

Honestly, I hope so. He's stale, his matches suck, and it's depressing because I'm a big fan of the Rock. He's never coming back full time, so I'd rather he just never comes back at all (as a wrestler)

Edit: This is the main image on WWE.com, WTF move is this? It's like part crossface, part headlock, part chinlock, and 100% worthless

Michael Cole called it an STF.....I'm not kidding.

jred2k

I look at it this way, Cena and Del Rio hold the big belts, Cesaro loses every week, Hell No looks like they will never break up, Ziggler will lose for the rest of his career, and it looks like Punk will be talking time off. Outside of The Shield, things are looking real dim right now.

I'm probably being naive, but the fact is they have like 7 hours of television a week to fill. If you look at the past couple Raws there has been probably upwards of 5 promos wasted on part-timers and trailers. The same goes for Smackdown. They are gonna have to do something with those segments now. That time may end up just being spent on watching King eat Sonic and fumble with the WWE App, but I'd like to hope at least some of that time will be given to guys like Ziggler, Cesaro, Rhodes, and Sandow. It probably all depends on whether or not Vince takes the hint he needs to create new stars. The tepid response to the final two matches should make it clear. Ryback isn't the answer either, he doesn't have an ounce of the charisma that makes a star. The same goes for Miz.

Just got back from MetLife Stadium. The last two matches were awful, but I still had a blast. The rest of Wrestlemania
not counting The Miz
was awesome live. My throat is destroyed. I don't know how I'm going to boo Cena at Raw tomorrow.

I'm so pissed that Swagger lost.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member

Bahahaha, I actually shouted out when he put that on Rock "THAT'S NOT HOW YOU DO A CROSSFACE, JOHN." Amazing.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Copy-pasting from the Wrestlemania thread...

Alright, here's my full run-down.

IC Title Match - Blech. Wade got a huge reaction (considering not everyone was in their seats yet), Miz's reaction was pretty mixed. Goddamn is that figure four shitty. Short and expected, though seeing Wade pull out Wasteland was pretty cool. It also rained rather hard during this match and was the coldest and windiest it was all night. Pretty much once the show started the weather went back to being nice and normal, and it actually got warmer as the night went on. They got incredibly lucky with the weather.

Shield vs. Superfaces - Good match. Crowd was VERY pro-Shiled. They liked the faces too and all, but everybody wanted the Shield to win. Lots of "Let's Go Shield" and "Shield! Shield! Shield!" chants. They exited and entered from right below where I was sitting. Nobody really gave much of a shit about Show turning, considering he was face for, what, a week? Everybody really dug this one, though, and the finish made everyone happy. Nice start.

Mizark vs. Skip Sheffield - GOLDBERG chants right from the start. Some Sexual Chocolate chants too. Crowd was definitely pro-Henry but was really into seeing Ryback try to do Shellshock on him. Cool spot, went over big live.

Hell No vs. Ziggler and Big E - Fun little match, everybody here is super over (well, maybe not Big E). Not much to say about it, but quality stuff. Ziggler losing seemed to set up for a MITB cash-in...

FAAAAAN DAAAAAAN GOOOOOOO vs. Y2J - The expected outcome, a solid if not spectacular match. I imagine this feud will be continuing. Fandango seems pretty over. His gimmick got a lot of love at Axxess, and people seemed to be into him tonight too.

Bathroom break.

ADR vs. Swagger - There was a guy on the floor with a "BLACK REPUBLICAN FOR JACK SWAGGER" sign. Thought that was pretty amusing. Solid match, nice back and forth submissions. Crowd was somewhat lukewarm to start but really got into it near the end. Most importantly, though, BIG "WE WANT ZIGGLER" chants throughout almost the entire match. Hot finish. By the way, we knew there was going to be no cash-in because they started building Living Colour's set at the entrance as soon as the match started. Even still, when the lights went down during ADR's celebration and the show "moved on" there was a HUGE chorus of boos. People really wanted that cash-in. Stray "WE WANT ZIGGLER" chants would continue to pop up for the rest of the night.

Undertaker vs. CM Punk - This was incredible. This was also my first time seeing Undertaker live, and it's hard to explain but he just feels..."different" from everyone else. I love that he even got a different name graphic from everyone else in his entrance. He feels like the secret superboss in an RPG, the one that's waaaaaaay more powerful than the actual boss of the game yet gives you no real reward other than satisfaction if you beat him. This is the one match that felt like an "event" in and of itself. Punk was amazing too, his histrionics and faces and interactions with both Taker and Heyman were golden. Crowd was 100% into both guys and wanted both guys to win, and the atmosphere was amazing. A stark contrast to what was to come...

HHH vs. Brock - Total snoozefest. The crowd was bored, the match was boring, and both guys seemed like out of shape part-timers. HBK didn't add terribly much to this one, though him taking an F-5 was pretty fun. There was definitely a moment of "if they make Brock tap out to HHH..." moment in there. Crowd was palpably anxious during that sequence, and when Brock finally fell away from HHH after the third or fourth time he broke the hold the crowd erupted in relieved cheers. HHH winning with a pedigree on steel steps is fine. I can live with that. A very predictable ending, but the whole point of the match was for Hunter to get his win back, right?

Cena vs. Rock - Huh? What? Wasn't there another match in here? Where are the Funkadactyls? And why was there like no fanfare signalling this match was next like there was with the last two matches? The reaction when Cena's music hit was genuine surprise. Followed by lots and lots of boos. Very enthusiastic boos. One of the issues with the crowd response to this match, though, is that even though it was nearly 100% anti-Cena, it was NOT entirely pro-Rock the way it was last year. I would say it was maybe 70% pro-Rock, 30% anti-Rock (but not necessarily pro-Cena). So reactions were kind of all over the place on this one. One thing that was unanimous, though, is that this match fucking sucked. Boring as shit, rest holds out the ass, waaaaaaay too many uses of the exact same moves. There were actual shouts of "THIS SPOT AGAIN?!" and things like that numerous times. "Boring" chants. "Rest hold" chants. "UNDERTAKER/CM PUNK" chants. Extremely mixed and subdued pop for the finish immediately melted into a chorus of boos again. The entire ending and aftermath was booed basically constantly by the fans who were left, which just a tiny smattering of applause. And I do mean "by the fans who were left," because people were making for the exits the second the 3 was counted at the end of the matches. Just really really bad. Rock seemed visibly upset by the response to the match pretty much right from the start.

In that moment in the Cena-Rock match where John seemed frustrated and started making his faces that lead into his People's Elbow fakeout, there were lots of "turn heel!" type chants. "YOU CAN DO IT!" was a big one from one corner of the stadium.

Alas.

The show clearly peaked with Taker-Punk. I could have left after that match and felt like I saw a much better PPV than I do now.

The view from my seat:

40Ik5Wz.jpg

Near-complete card for next month's New Japan iPPV 'Wrestling Dontaku', which takes place on Friday the 3rd of May at 17:00 JST;

01. Yuji Nagata, Jushin 'Thunder' Liger, Tiger Mask & Maximo vs CHAOS (Tomohiro Ishii, YOSHI-HASHI, Jado & Gedo)
02. IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Tag Titles: Time Splitters (Alex Shelley & KUSHIDA) (c) vs Forever Hooligans (Rocky Romero & Alex Koslov)
03. Ryusuke Taguchi & Captain New Japan vs Prince Devitt & BadLuck Fale
04. IWGP/NWA Heavyweight Tag Titles: K.E.S. (Lance Archer & Davey Boy Smith Jr) (c) vs TenKoji (Hiroyoshi Tenzan & Satoshi Kojima) vs Muscle Orchestra (Manabu Nakanishi & Strongman) vs CHAOS (Takashi Iizuka & Toru Yano)
05. NEVER Championship: Masato Tanaka (c) vs Tomoaki Honma
06. Togi Makabe vs Yujiro Takahashi
07. Hirooki Goto vs Katsuyori Shibata
08. Hiroshi Tanahashi vs Karl Anderson
09. IWGP Intercontinental Title: Shinsuke Nakamura vs ???
10. IWGP Heavyweight Title: Kazuchika Okada (c) vs Minoru Suzuki

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck, that looks awesome! Okada vs Suzuki, Goto vs Shibata, Tanaka vs Honma! So watching this one.

tm24

YES! Tanaka/Honma! Called it! I'm confused about the NWA Heavyweight title thing in that match and the random inclusion of Maximo in the opening 8-man especially without Taichi on the opposite side

Near-complete card for next month's New Japan iPPV 'Wrestling Dontaku', which takes place on Friday the 3rd of May at 17:00 JST;

01. Yuji Nagata, Jushin 'Thunder' Liger, Tiger Mask & Maximo vs CHAOS (Tomohiro Ishii, YOSHI-HASHI, Jado & Gedo)
02. IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Tag Titles: Time Splitters (Alex Shelley & KUSHIDA) (c) vs Forever Hooligans (Rocky Romero & Alex Koslov)
03. Ryusuke Taguchi & Captain New Japan vs Prince Devitt & BadLuck Fale
04. IWGP/NWA Heavyweight Tag Titles: K.E.S. (Lance Archer & Davey Boy Smith Jr) (c) vs TenKoji (Hiroyoshi Tenzan & Satoshi Kojima) vs Muscle Orchestra (Manabu Nakanishi & Strongman) vs CHAOS (Takashi Iizuka & Toru Yano)
05. NEVER Championship: Masato Tanaka (c) vs Tomoaki Honma
06. Togi Makabe vs Yujiro Takahashi
07. Hirooki Goto vs Katsuyori Shibata
08. Hiroshi Tanahashi vs Karl Anderson
09. IWGP Intercontinental Title: Shinsuke Nakamura vs ???
10. IWGP Heavyweight Title: Kazuchika Okada (c) vs Minoru Suzuki

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck, that looks awesome! Okada vs Suzuki, Goto vs Shibata, Tanaka vs Honma! So watching this one.

Announcing most of the card a month out? What craziness is this? Clearly Jado and Gedo need to watch more WWE and TNA to find out how to really book wrestling. You announce your main event 2-3 weeks out, most of the card the week before the show and then you slip in a couple of other unannounced matches the day of.

That card is almost too good to be true.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
If can't stop watching it then you must not hate it as much as you say. I never understand it when fans say that.

Nah, I am quitting, it's been too much time wasted on something that's just not enjoyable 80% of the time. I was just pondering why it has to be an actual decision I have to make, when quitting anything else I dislike its usually something that just happens.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Neck-beards aren't exclusive to the MLP fandom. There's plenty of wrestling fans who sport that look with pride.

I'd imagine both My Little Pony and WWE would have a lot of overlap, seeing as they are both shows made primarily for kids.

In a way I'm glad that Cena won and didn't go heel, because I told myself that I would be done with WWE if they played this shit straight and safe. I'm gonna watch Raw tomorrow and if nothing interesting happens then I'm done for a while.

Jezabel

If tomorrow's RAW doesn't at least try something different I'm taking a wrestling break.

I know today is my fault for getting my hopes up on something good happening .ie Orton heel turn or ziggler cash in. But alas it was just really deflating apart from a few matches.

I'm just so sick of the fact that guys like ziggler, cesaro, Rhodes, Bryan and Barrett are getting constantly fucked over for guys like triple h

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
What are you even doing in this thread if you're going to act like the WWE is the only wrestling promotion on the planet?

You're right, I really should have specified WWE, but I was just making a joke.

My prediction for raw is a tournament for number one contender at extreme rules

Henry wins explaining his 'win' last night

Henry is fed to Cena at ER ala Umaga in the last man standing match

You're right, I really should have specified WWE, but I was just making a joke.

Fair enough, but it does annoy me when guys like you, Mango Sentinel and Jezabel say you're quitting wrestling just because one promotion is shit. If anything, I think that actually hurts the wrestling industry, as you're not only writing off the WWE but any alternatives as well. And I'm not even saying you should watch NJPW (though you should, cause it's awesome), looking at TNA as a viable alternative would alone be an improvement.

In a way I'm glad that Cena won and didn't go heel, because I told myself that I would be done with WWE if they played this shit straight and safe. I'm gonna watch Raw tomorrow and if nothing interesting happens then I'm done for a while.

Fair enough, but it does annoy me when guys like you, Mango Sentinel and Jezabel say you're quitting wrestling just because one promotion is shit. If anything, I think that actually hurts the wrestling industry, as you're not only writing off the WWE but any alternatives as well. And I'm not even saying you should watch NJPW (though you should, cause it's awesome), looking at TNA as a viable alternative would alone be an improvement.

Read the bold.

I could never just completely stop. I still regularly go to PWG shows, and I still watch NJPW matches.

strobogo

Banned
I was really hoping whatever was all over HHH was blood, so when the lights came on, he would be in full warrior mode, having smeared blood all over his body even before the fight. But nope, it was powder, I think. Like he had just been doing some pre-match power lifting thinking maybe people wouldn't notice his gut and what are becoming bird legs.

Big E looked good and Taker/Punk was awesome. I hope Punk and Taker were loling to each other during the two total borefests that followed them. Main event was like the Young Bucks hitting super kicks. What the fuck. I think there were either 5 or 6 Rock Bottoms and 4 or 5 FUs. And no one reacted until the 4th Rock Bottom. Compare that to people flipping the fuck out at the first tombstone and the kick out. Myself included, I totally jumped up at that, much like I did at Taker doing the jumping tombstone to HBK a few years back. I completely bought that being the finish. On the first finisher, people 100% bought it. In the main event, it was 4 Rock Bottoms before people started reacting. Cena winning in itself isn't really that bad since he's the one who will be around (FOREVER), but how he won it, the story going into it, the commentary during it, and the post match passing of the torch was gross and really made me want to not even keep up with reading the results of Raw any more. JBL saying that if Cena didn't win, he'd go down as one of the greats who never won the big one was one of the worst and infuriating calls I've ever heard on a WWE show.

They still talk about him like he's this young up start kid struggling to break through when he's been the undisputed face of the company longer than anyone since Bruno. 8 years straight now. He's 35. He's not the under dog battling against all odds. He is the odds and he needs to start being booked like that. He needs to actually be booked like Superman, as in, the guy that everyone knows is the most powerful and best guy in the world and everyone against HIM is the underdog. Superman can beat anyone and everyone knows it. They don't pretend that he's the underdog and are shocked and amazed he came through in the end. He's Superman. He ALWAYS comes through. He doesn't need help, he doesn't need to even the odds, he doesn't need a torch passed. He is Superman, he is the odds, and his is the torch.

Despite having most of my favorite wrestlers in the world (Punk, Claudio, Dragon, Rhodes Scholars, Generico, Hero), if something doesn't change soon with how WWE is operated, I really don't think I even want to read results for shows anymore. It's really at the point where everything about WWE just makes me not want to watch any wrestling. From the grossly scripted commentary and adverts, to the stale production, to half assed booking, to just the general transparency that it is all about money. It's always been about the money, but I don't remember ever seeing a period where they are so blatant about it, and that's always gross. Being 100% honest, I'd rather be rewatching WCW 2000 than what WWE is currently pumping out. I don't even want to watch NXT anymore. Hopefully all the part timers go away and they can get back to actually having feuds with guys who are there to build them up. There is just no emotion, rawness, or spontaneity of any kind on WWE television.

This show might have been the worst WM since pre-Attitude Era. I watched the show at 1.10X speed and it still looked like Bork/Huner and Rock/Cena were in slow motion.

Also, I can't believe that on a 4 hour show, they gave someone in a World Title match a jobber entrance. And not only a jobber entrance in a title match on a 4 hour WM, but they did a jobber entrance after going to the trouble of having a special entrance for Swagger. No doubt so they could fit in the announcers playing with toys at the table, the same Miz commercial they show multiple times on every show, 3 different Cena/Rock packages, a P Diddy performance, and an ad for Rock's next movie. IC Title was on the pre show, US and Diva Titles weren't even mentioned, a match got CUT from the show. Whoever has been timing out the shows has been doing an awful job for the past 2 years or so. The whole show felt rushed even though it was 4 hours and the first 5 matches were 10 minutes or under. I think there was right at 2 hours of wrestling. On a 4 hour PPV that is supposed to be the biggest and best show of the year.

Toki767

Punk/Undertaker should have gone on last. This might have been the first WrestleMania since WrestleMania 16 where they didn't close the show in a way that sent the fans home happy.

It was just so obvious that they wanted to avoid loud boos at the end at all costs. From having Cena give Rock the ring time after losing to them ending the show just a few seconds after Rock went to the back leaving Cena to stand on stage by himself.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
i liked the interesting things punk adds to feud just for fun and if your a heavy fan you notice, like how he was using undertakers old color style from just after when taker debuted

Dead Man

He's got to do something about that shit on his lip.

They have no shame. Jesus.

Top Bottom