• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

April Wrasslin |OT| DO DO, DO DO DO-DO-DO, DO-DO-DO, DO-DOOOOO DO-DO

Bowser

I would like to think Cesaro or Barrett could give a great performance but they aren't going to get that chance!

I don't think it's just about a great performance though. Taker is the last true "spectacle" at Mania. The first Mania without Taker is going to be weird IMO.

Sephzilla

Here is an interesting thing for everything to think about.

When The Undertaker finally retires, Wrestlemania will be just another PPV. The show has lost a bit of steam since HBK retired and when Undertaker finally goes, they will have no one to give that Wrestlemania performance people expect.

Yeah, that's something I'm trying to avoid thinking about. Once Undertaker's gone, WrestleMania's going to lose a ton of its luster. Taker's really the last really theatrical "characters" left anymore as well, especially since Kane is just another big man now.

Kaladin

I would like to think Cesaro or Barrett could give a great performance but they aren't going to get that chance!

They're not going to give anyone the chance. They'll probably rely on part time stars like The Rock, Jericho and Brock Lesnar after Undertaker is gone to give Wrestlemania that special event feeling.

UberTag

They're not going to give anyone the chance. They'll probably rely on part time stars like The Rock, Jericho and Brock Lesnar after Undertaker is gone to give Wrestlemania that special event feeling.
I won't have a special event feeling about WrestleMania until the first one after Vince is gone.

Ithil

When The Undertaker finally retires, Wrestlemania will be just another PPV. The show has lost a bit of steam since HBK retired and when Undertaker finally goes, they will have no one to give that Wrestlemania performance people expect.

I'll be devastated when Taker retires for good. I know some folk bitch about him, but not getting WM matches like Taker/Punk ever again will be just sad. He's the most deserving "super face" there ever was.

I don't think it's just about a great performance though. Taker is the last true "spectacle" at Mania. The first Mania without Taker is going to be weird IMO.

Get Money in the Bank back to WM. That's a good yearly spectacle. With one briefcase for either title.

Aiii

So not worth it

Alternatively, this could mean WrestleMania can be about current stars, current feuds and actually get some build again, instead of putting over part timers just because they're famous or legends.

Sephzilla

Alternatively, this could mean WrestleMania can be about current stars, current feuds and actually get some build again, instead of putting over part timers just because they're famous or legends.

With Taker specifically, he's still putting on better matches than the active talent though.

RBH

While studying for my exam last night in the library, I looked up at the clock and it said 10pm and then realized that I had completely forgot that Wrestlemania was going on yesterday.

What a weird fucking feeling after all these years.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
While studying for my exam last night in the library, I looked up at the clock and it said 10pm and then realized that I had completely forgot that Wrestlemania was going on yesterday.

You're better off, brother.

dream

You're growing up, friend.

Aiii

So not worth it
With Taker specifically, he's still putting on better matches than the active talent though.

He is and I hope he has a few more, but him being there and winning these matches, in the end it does nothing at all for the talent, the rest of the product or the buyrate (I think).

He is and I hope he has a few more, but him being there and winning these matches, in the end it does nothing at all for the talent, the rest of the product or the buyrate (I think).

Better than Rock...assuming already posted. Taker comes back, gives us the MOTN at WM, he is good to be there at WM. He isn't going after titles unlike Rock, so it doesn't really matter if he puts talent over or not.

UPDATEDx2: PWInsider reports that The Rock was actually scheduled to open RAW tonight with a promo about losing the WWE Title to John Cena, only to be attacked and taken out by Brock Lesnar and Paul Heyman. This would setup the WrestleMania 30 main event. With The Rock taking off without notice, WWE is trying to re-write the show. One person backstage described the scene as "chaos."

UPDATED: PWInsider is also reporting the same story as the Wrestling Observer -- that the Rock is not at RAW tonight and WWE is trying to re-write major portions of the show.

They report that The Rock left for Los Angeles this morning, catching WWE completely off guard. There is major heat on him for leaving. This is not part of an angle, as Rock had been worked into WWE's future plans and was scheduled to be part of a major angle tonight to setup a program with Brock Lesnar or the Undertaker (more likely Lesnar) for WrestleMania 30. All those plans have now been thrown out.

ORIGINAL: According to wrestlingobserver.com, there is panic backstage at Raw right now. The show was scheduled to build to a segment where Brock Lesnar beat up Rock to set up next year's WrestleMania main event. The problem: Rock is not there and has reportedly gone home. Vince McMahon, the writers and producers are in the process of redoing the show, evidently believing the angle has been nixed. Nobody knows any details as to what happened past that. As of this time, the belief is that Rock is not appearing.

Also, there is a second major angle tonight to set up the main feud going forward and the Extreme Rules main event involving John Cena's next title defense. Word is that it is one of the things that has been planned for some time and was actually scheduled before Mania.

Sephzilla

Well for a good while now he's mostly been going up against people who are already super well established, and/or are legends along side him. The people he's been going up against don't gain anything but they aren't exactly losing anything either. Taker isn't holding anybody back, if anything he's showing them how it's done.

People are still going to cheer CM Punk like he's wrestling Jesus and they'll still be able to say that he has the longest modern title reign.

Taker isn't the problem. The problem is the other two matches booked behind him consisted of three wrestlers who had a combined 5 or 6 matches in the last year and the 72 time World Champion.

McNei1y

They totally fucked themselves then. They should've booked some of these newer guys into great matches a few years ago. It would've been an effective way to showcase their ability while we still had matches that included The Rock, Edge, Undertaker and so on. It will be weird once Undertaker is gone but that's totally Vince and co.'s own fault because they failed to give these newer guys a chance. I would've liked Dbry, Cesaro, Sandow, Barrett, Ziggler, Punk, Sheamus (etc) booked in matches against each other with a great storyline. Or I would've liked to see them challenge one of The Rock, Jericho, Undertaker, Brock, and/or HHH so they can at least be put over. These horrible old timer matches are boring. It was cool back then but none of this crap means anything now since half of them are only on Raw three times a year.

They totally fucked themselves then. They should've booked some of these newer guys into great matches a few years ago. It would've been an effective way to showcase their ability while we still had matches that included The Rock, Edge, Undertaker and so on. It will be weird once Undertaker is gone but that's totally Vince and co.'s own fault because they failed to give these newer guys a chance. I would've liked Dbry, Cesaro, Sandow, Barrett, Ziggler, Punk, Sheamus (etc) booked in matches against each other with a great storyline. Or I would've liked to see them challenge one of The Rock, Jericho, Undertaker, Brock, and/or HHH so they can at least be put over. These horrible old timer matches are boring. It was cool back then but none of this crap means anything now since half of them are only on Raw three times a year.

Main reason MITB should be at WM.

It really did build guys up.

Aiii

So not worth it
imagepomx.jpg

That's nice, wasn't expecting them to not put up a fight over this.

Bowser

Don't worry, they have been building someone up.

THE MIZ

He's like 4-0 at WrestleMania right? The next great streak.

Sephzilla

I can't really be upset with Rock getting up and leaving. The end of WM sucked and it sure looked like Rock knew it too. We obviously don't know the whole story, but I wouldn't be surprised if Rock objected to a few decisions.

Striker

Taker just gave Punk his most memorable and historical match he'll ever have.

I can't really be upset with Rock getting up and leaving. The end of WM sucked and it sure looked like Rock knew it too. We obviously don't know the whole story, but I wouldn't be surprised if Rock objected to a few decisions.

Like, that he had to lose to Cena?

It's still a shitty thing to do.

I can see Rock telling someone they need to use this opportunity to turn Cena.

BFIB

Now with the news regarding The Rock coming out, it makes the .gifs of the finale last night stand out more.

You could visibly see The Rock's disappointment.

Striker

Nope. This is not above his MitB match with Cena, so no. If Austin vs Punk happens next year, it will be third.
Cena-Punk at MitB was terrible in terms of performance between the two. Only thing better was the Chicago crowd in that arena compared to the NY/NJ stadium.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Rock/Cena made Bork/HHH look like Steamboat versus Flair, it was that bad.

I'd rather watch a PPV of 2012 Diva Matches than Once in a Lifetime III.

Alucard

Banned
More from pwinsider...

As noted earlier, The Rock was scheduled to be confronted by Brock Lesnar on tonight's RAW, however The Rock is no where to be found.

RAW's original script was set to feature The Rock opening the show with a promo about losing the WWE Title to John Cena. This promo would have led to Brock Lesnar and Paul Heyman confronting Rock and laying him out, planting the seeds for a future pay-per-view bout between the two, rumored to be WrestleMania 30.

With The Rock skipping out without notice, WWE had to re-write the show. A WWE source described the environment as "chaos backstage."

Read more: http://www.WrestlingInc.com/wi/news...s-at-tonight-raw-with-the-rock/#ixzz2PuUmGnfm

- There is another major angle planned for tonight to set up John Cena's next title defense at Extreme Rules. It was something that has been planned for some time and was actually scheduled for WrestleMania last night.

Read more: http://www.WrestlingInc.com/wi/news...ncern-backstage-at-tonight-raw/#ixzz2PuV3Ed3t

UberTag

I wonder if its Vince saying how hard should we bury him. lol
He's probably lobbying with USA to get all of the ads for G.I. Joe and Pain & Gain pulled from tonight's broadcast.

I hope he's throwing a big 'ole tantrum like only Vince can do at 67 years of age.

"How dare he walk out on me?
I made him!
I'm Vincent Kennedy McMahon.
I'm bigger than everyone here.
I own you."

BFIB

Knowing that Vince is most likely in Butthurt mode, he'll probably have The Rock completely edited out of the clips tonight.

Aiii

So not worth it
Cena-Punk at MitB was terrible in terms of performance between the two. Only thing better was the Chicago crowd in that arena compared to the NY/NJ stadium.

We were talking historical and memorabel right, because neither two matches were his best technical matches.

Kaladin

Was anyone able to catch what The Rock said to Cena after their match while they were still in the ring? I couldn't follow the lip movements. I'm curious if he told Cena he was done at that point.

Toki767

I have to say. Last night showed how right Bret Hart was when he pretty much buried HHH's wrestling ability and praised Undertaker's a couple months ago.

Top Bottom