• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

April Wrasslin' |OT| Porsha! Get my damn shoe!

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
A post from a few days ago occurred to me watching NXT.

A poster describing the RAW crowd live said women rock the Brie Mode shirts and the Bellas get huge reactions from women. The male smark hates the Bellas.

Should we discount the female opinion for some pseudo objective evaluation of the Bellas v. Other Divas? Is there some xism afoot?

I don't know if it is sexism or just "if the WWE wants this, then we must hate it". Note that AJ and Paige became the popular divas...as they proclaimed themselves the anti-divas.

Ambrose was right. The wrestling community is just really negative. Oddly so.

Yeah; if you want good lulz - find the BBs from the late 90s where people bury the Rock and Goldberg as having no potential and wastes of roster space. WWE and WCW would have gone out of business if they listen to their current ardent fans. Throw us some bones, sure, but don't let us dictate your business.

Really? You don't know? You must of forgotten. Happens to everyone. Perhaps I misunderstood the following post:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=151372529&postcount=11530

Eh - I don't agree with that being victim blaming. Online security is pretty worthless currently as things stand. The missus and I have been doing long distance for almost two years now, and as much as we want to send some fun pictures to each other; we both don't because online security is ass, and anything we put online we have to assume everyone will be able to see. :/ There's a fairly robust area between "victim blaming" and "acknowledging the reality of the situation".

MoosiferX

NXT was great tonight! The Hideo mini-documentary was really good stuff. I'm glad they highlighted the GTS from the San Jose event. Can't wait to see Sami in action again next week. It feels like it's been a year.

Do any of you who follow the indy scene in Texas have any opinions on Steve O Reno or Ricky Starks? Thumbs up/thumbs down? Also has anyone signed up for the Progress on demand service yet? How has that experience been? Thinking about giving it a shot once I pick up a chromecast.

Sorry for the late call-back, but I've been away from the thread all day and am just now catching up.

I'm very familiar with both guys from watching them here in Austin. Both are young guys, but very entertaining beyond their years/experience.

Steve O Reno is about as natural a babyface as I've ever seen in the indies. He's got a very positive charisma. People just automatically like him. For example, at the Fun Fun Funfest music festival, (a completely random, walk-up crowd) Inspire Pro did a "loser leaves Inspire" blow-off match with his former tag team member. Normally, that would be about the dumbest booking idea ever. A long feud, with various twists and turns, and you cap it off at a show with hardly any of "your fans" in attendance? Steve O not only made it work, he had all these people chanting his name in the match.

Like Starks, I first saw Steve O Reno in ACW, but unlike Starks, he was basically being wasted down there, doing basically the same tag matches over and over again. At Inspire Pro, they've really got him over as an underdog singles guy, and now he's arguably the hottest babyface in he company, which is something, considering ACH is also a regular on the roster. Since officially becoming a single's act, Inspire Pro has given him some very high-profile matches with nationally-known talent, and he's delivered. He also is the current holdr of the Inspire Pro J-Crown, and a medal he won at FFFFEST which is basically like the "Money in the Bank" briefcase. So he's got a lot of storyline options.

Work-wise, he's rock-solid. Bumps and sells well, tells a good story, has great facials, which is something he's really developed in the past year. Doesn't try to do too much, which is awesome for a guy as young as he is. Just does stuff he can do well. He's not the biggest guy, but has a good cruiserweight physique (kinda the same body type as Angelico in LU if I had a compare him,) and stays in shape. Has a real good Blue Thunder Bomb and a cool move called he "Rainbreaker" which is a Rainmaker lariat into a Backbreaker, which looks great when his opponent can sell it correctly.

Ricky Starks is also very charismatic. Maybe even more so than Steve. Versatile in that he can be face or heel with equal charisma. Really good look and really good gimmick.

He is on the radar of every company out there that has any kind of radar. If he has downsides, it's all because I think he's got all this to get out there, and metaphorically sometimes trips on his own feet. Really, this is the kind of guy that would probably be shined up amazingly well in WWE developmental. Can cut a real great promo when he's got stuff to get over, and can improv pretty well, and long as he doesn't try to do too much.

Workwise, he can go, but like I said, he sometimes tries to do too much. Again, developmental could probably do a lot for this guy.

My biggest complaint (but make no mistake this is only because I like him a ton) is he doesn't seem to be a natural flier, but often tries when he should probably not. Case in point, at the last Inspire show, he tried a really terrible-looking Corkscrew Crossbody and then after his match, did a dive to the outside presumably onto Lance Hoyt (Archer) but for some reason I still can't explain was completely uncatchable by Hoyt (who'd I'd trust to catch ME) and splatted on he concrete floor in a manner that shocked and stunned the crowd. At the same time, athletically, he can do some great stuff. Also has phenomenal facials and selling when called for.

So yeah. I like both guys. For different reasons.

Fave Five Women
(Current)
1) Sasha Banks
2) Mio Shirai
3) Jessica James
4) Mia Yim
5) Tsukasa Fujimoto

(Legacy)
1) Mariko Yoshida
2) Sherri Martel
3) Rachel Summerlyn
4) Manami Toyota
5) Lacey

(I know, my lists are all kinds of weird, but we like what we like.)

NoRéN

NXT was great tonight! The Hideo mini-documentary was really good stuff. I'm glad they highlighted the GTS from the San Jose event. Can't wait to see Sami in action again next week. It feels like it's been a year.
Wow! Surprised they showed it! Crowd went insane went it finally happened, myself included.

VoxPop

Got high and now I'm watching a random Nitro from 1 week after Bash at the Beach. They really milked the Hogan thing as they should have.

First time actually watching Arn Anderson wrestle. He's having a pretty good match with Meng.

Nelo Ice

Banned
NoRéN;159421690 said:
Wow! Surprised they showed it! Crowd went insane went it finally happened, myself included.

Just watched that part and damn it was just as hype as I remember it. The crowd was basically like that all night. Wonder when they'll put up the full San Jose show.

NoRéN

Just watched that part and damn it was just as hype as I remember it. The crowd was basically like that all night. Wonder when they'll put up the full San Jose show.
You were there too?

I have to watch it soon! It will be fun watching it from a closer angle.

Nelo Ice

Banned
NoRéN;159423730 said:
You were there too?

I have to watch it soon! It will be fun watching it from a closer angle.

Yup! Mania was a great time but I'm so glad I got to be apart of that epic NXT crowd. Funny thing is my friends who were with me were one of the few who just sat there and watched it like they were watching on tv.

I was right by the broadcast area where all the random wrestlers and Vince himself popped out. Throughout the night I'd hear random pops and see Vince standing there or Scott Hall popping out from behind the curtain.

Also yeah curious to see how it looks with a better viewing angle that and I would love to see how we came out on camera. I remember they had a camera make a run through side of the crowd I was at so people were going nuts. Here's to hoping I can see myself in a shot.

Marvel

could never
NeoGaf Rasslin' Question of the Day: You can have sex with any wrestling valet, past of present, in their prime, but you have to let the wrestler they valet'd watch. Who do you choose?

Ariel, Kevin Thorne can watch.

It'll have to be in a warehouse though.

NoRéN

Yup! Mania was a great time but I'm so glad I got to be apart of that epic NXT crowd. Funny thing is my friends who were with me were one of the few who just sat there and watched it like they were watching on tv.

I was right by the broadcast area where all the random wrestlers and Vince himself popped out. Throughout the night I'd hear random pops and see Vince standing there or Scott Hall popping out from behind the curtain.

Also yeah curious to see how it looks with a better viewing angle that and I would love to see how we came out on camera. I remember they had a camera make a run through side of the crowd I was at so people were going nuts. Here's to hoping I can see myself in a shot.
Damn, that sounds like a great spot! I can honestly say I had more fun at NXT than Wrestlemania. Not that Wrestlemania was bad but NXT was just too good! GTS, Rhyno, VaudeVillains, Enzo and Cass, the greatest women's match in recent history between Charlotte and Legit Boss Sasha, and Finn with the demon entrance, hard to top!

Nelo Ice

Banned
NoRéN;159424669 said:
Damn, that sounds like a great spot! I can honestly say I had more fun at NXT than Wrestlemania. Not that Wrestlemania was bad but NXT was just too good! GTS, Rhyno, VaudeVillains, Enzo and Cass, the greatest women's match in recent history between Charlotte and Legit Boss Sasha, and Finn with the demon entrance, hard to top!

Well I was in the upper level but yeah all things considered it was a great spot. Especially when I had no idea where the seats would be since Ticketmaster had nothing on the layout. Also guessing it was better than the crowd in the upper level facing the ramp chanting "can't see shit" lol.

Also I was so hype during WM just because nearly everything they did made for an awesome crowd pop. But yeah NXT was just an absurd amount of fun. I didn't know all the guys besides the big names. Had a blast though and enjoyed all the matches besides the Bull match with the other guy since I took a bathroom break. Figured the "jobber" and "bathroom break" chants meant it was a good idea to actually go for a break haha.

NoRéN

Well I was in the upper level but yeah all things considered it was a great spot. Especially when I had no idea where the seats would be since Ticketmaster had nothing on the layout. Also guessing it was better than the crowd in the upper level facing the ramp chanting "can't see shit" lol.

Also I was so hype during WM just because nearly everything they did made for an awesome crowd pop. But yeah NXT was just an absurd amount of fun. I didn't know all the guys besides the big names. Had a blast though and enjoyed all the matches besides the Bull match with the other guy since I took a bathroom break. Figured hey "jobber" chant and "bathroom break" was a good idea to actually go for a break haha.
Was just about to say even the bull match was good...for a bull match.

The crowd was great for NXT. Aside from the parking structure having one exit, it was all great. Had my sister drive while I dipped into the cooler for some drinks.

Where did you sit for Wrestlemania? I was stuck in the nosebleeds.

I parked on the street right outside the parking structure 30 minutes before the show started. It was literally a spot or two from being the closest to the Event Center and I couldn't believe that cars were lined up for a block to pay 10 bucks to park in the structure yet this spot was open.

Nelo Ice

Banned
NoRéN;159425290 said:
Was just about to say even the bull match was good...for a bull match.

The crowd was great for NXT. Aside from the parking structure having one exit, it was all great. Had my sister drive while I dipped into the cooler for some drinks.

Where did you sit for Wrestlemania? I was stuck in the nosebleeds.

My friend just parked on the street by one of dorms I think. We had no idea where to park. So we also accidentally drove by the employee entrance and caught a glimpse of JR a few feet away from us.

For Mania I was in section 120. Didn't have the money for anything lower but was kinda glad I got the seats I did since it looked like the pillar would be annoying if you sat in that corner area of the floor seats. That and since I'm not tall I probably wouldn't have been able to see shit when everyone stood up. Of course I still spent a pretty penny but figured hey may as well splurge since it's freaking Wrestlemania in my backyard.

120 was kind of the corner or so of the middle section on the tv side. That pillar would have been annoying but luckily it really only blocked part of the announcer area. Besides that had a great view of the ring and the rest of the set.

NoRéN

I parked on the street right outside the parking structure 30 minutes before the show started. It was literally a spot or two from being the closest to the Event Center and I couldn't believe that cars were lined up for a block to pay 10 bucks to park in the structure yet this spot was open.

My friend just parked on the street by one of dorms I think. We had no idea where to park. So we also accidentally drove by the employee entrance and caught a glimpse of JR a few feet away from us.

For Mania I was in section 120. Didn't have the money for anything lower but was kinda glad I got the seats I did since it looked like the pillar would be annoying if you sat in that corner area of the floor seats. That and since I'm not tall I probably wouldn't have been able to see shit when everyone stood up. Of course I still spent a pretty penny but figured hey may as well splurge since it's freaking Wrestlemania in my backyard.

120 was kind of the corner or so of the middle section on the tv side. That pillar would have been annoying but luckily it really only blocked part of the announcer area. Besides that had a great view of the ring and the rest of the set.
Man, fuck you guys! :)

Fucking google maps tries to get me lost. I finally make it to the area but didn't want to risk a ticket since I was unfamiliar to the area in general so I sucked it up and paid the $10.

You guys are lucky you parked on the street. Don't recall the exact amount of time but I'm sure it was at least a good 20 minutes of chilling in the parking lot drinking before the exit line started making any progress.

strobogo

Banned
Got high and now I'm watching a random Nitro from 1 week after Bash at the Beach. They really milked the Hogan thing as they should have.

First time actually watching Arn Anderson wrestle. He's having a pretty good match with Meng.

Yv61zLi.gif

Dang. First time ever? 1996 was pretty much the end of his career. And against Meng? If you thought that was pretty good, you'll probably think he's the GOAT watching anything from 1987-1995. Truly TMF.

trG7o3u.gif

oJ0CK82.gif

Kf0xQGK.gif

Umm, Boots? Remember that new London promotion that was looking like a PROGRESS knockoff? Well...
nwa-fight-nation-640x370.jpg

President R. Bruce Tharpe had the following comments on the announcement…

“The National Wrestling Alliance is equally excited to have FIGHT! NATION as part of the NWA family. This is just the beginning of a measured expansion of the NWA into Europe and we are looking for this valuable partnership to continue long into the future!”

Their tournament on their first show is now for the first NWA British Champion.

Now that I've seen a few tailends of Larry Zbyzko's career on The Network and his (somewhat awful) HoF Speech... I really want to see more of his work.

Umm, Boots? Remember that new London promotion that was looking like a PROGRESS knockoff? Well...
nwa-fight-nation-640x370.jpg

President R. Bruce Tharpe had the following comments on the announcement…

“The National Wrestling Alliance is equally excited to have FIGHT! NATION as part of the NWA family. This is just the beginning of a measured expansion of the NWA into Europe and we are looking for this valuable partnership to continue long into the future!”

Their tournament on their first show is now for the first NWA British Champion.

Huh, that's unexpected.

On the one hand, having them under the NWA banner does set them apart and I like that the belt's a British Championship instead of a World Championship now, but it doesn't look like they're planning on being a touring promotion, their promotional graphics are awful and I think they're clearly stepping on PROGRESS toes by running a promotion in a similar vein, with many of the same roster members and right on their doorstep.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Looks like the Von Erich boys are headed to NXT. Can't wait to see how they work out there.

Interested to see how they do, they kinda dropped off the map after they decided not to return to NOAH's dojo in 2014 - they've had just three matches in the past 16 months.

Hasney

Decided to look up what Lacey was doing as she'd make a good valet for them and I think she left WWE on good terms, she was just a bit shit in the ring. She runs her own advertising agency now so probably not interested, but good for her.

My coworker just showed me a picture of his son with triple h in a whole foods in boca raton Florida two weeks ago, Stephanie took the picture. I wonder why they were here down south.

Sorry for the late call-back, but I've been away from the thread all day and am just now catching up.

I'm very familiar with both guys from watching them here in Austin. Both are young guys, but very entertaining beyond their years/experience.

Thanks for the info man, I'm definitely excited to see them make their debut here in the STL on a pretty stacked show. They were a last minute addition to the tournament as one of the heel faction teams main guys got a concussion and is off the double shot next weekend.

Jamie OD

Heading to the Dublin WWE house show tonight. Finn Balor's homecoming! (Oh, and Sheamus too. Woo.) Everything looks good except for the planned main event of Reigns Vs Big Show. But it might still be fun since Big Show has become real snarky to the crowd at live events lately. Last house show I was at the crowd were as good as could be for WWE, they cheered the faces and booed the heels so Roman should be safe here. Also Sandow got nuclear heat for some reason. This was after his MITB cash in when he had some sort of Pipebomb parody gimmick for a few weeks before becoming a comedy heel. Curious to hear the reactions for heel Sheamus and the New Day if they're still faces.

miserable

What's the point of having title matches at house shows? i mean does anybody go to these shows thinking "oh boy, i might see a title change live! Rusev has a good shot at that US belt, i can feel it!"

Jamie OD

What's the point of having title matches at house shows? i mean does anybody go to these shows thinking "oh boy, i might see a title change live! Rusev has a good shot at that US belt, i can feel it!"

Dress rehearsal for the PPV match.

bjork

It's happened before.

Sephzilla

Didn't Diesel win the heavyweight title at a glorified house show?

bjork

Didn't Diesel win the heavyweight title at a glorified house show?

The IC belt changed at house shows, the tag belt changed at house shows. I can't speak post 1996 or so because who cares, but it has happened. Anything can happen here in the World Wrestling Federation!

Unnnnnbelievable

- I enjoyed that Hideo Itami mini doco on NXT, love those sorts of things. The D-Bry one from last year was one of my fav things of the whole year! I just enjoy seeing wrestlers as 'regular' backstage people sometimes.

- Cena's reasons for not wanting to be a heel are still so lame, ugh the ego on the guy thinking the burden is on him and ONLY him to think of the poor children. FFS you aren't the be-all and end-all they'll just move to the next hero if you weren't doing that crap anymore - pretty sure Daniel Bryan and his antics could/would be more over with kids than Cena's shit anyway.

Did the world fall into ruin after Bash At The Beach 96? Or did kids just start cheering for Sting or Luger or whoever instead?

Maybe Cena was a Hulkamaniac and it scared him for life or something.

Hasney

I've not watched the interview, but someone said he was talking about turning heel with the Rock feud and he went and recorded new music? I kinda want to hear that.

Cagey

Banned
Cena going heel and Daniel Bryan becoming the new John Cena, devoting his underdog-superhero combo act to the kids, would be a fascinating study in how crowd opinions change on wrasslers.

The Cena chant would switch real quick.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Cena going heel and Daniel Bryan becoming the new John Cena, devoting his underdog-superhero combo act to the kids, would be a fascinating study in how crowd opinions change on wrasslers.

I wouldn't expect Daniel Bryan to be able to A: keep up with the workload and B: be effective at it.

Ithil

The Cena chant would switch real quick.

Perhaps you should consider the actual underlying problem there.

Top Bottom