• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

April Wrasslin' |OT| Porsha! Get my damn shoe!

Bandini

Skimming through Smackdown, good lord is Dolph Ziggler bad on the mic. What a shame. Also pretty hilarious people think he's being held down for being a malcontent.

Sephzilla

Skimming through Smackdown, good lord is Dolph Ziggler bad on the mic. What a shame. Also pretty hilarious people think he's being held down for being a malcontent.

He's really inconsistent on the microphone. He'll have a really solid promo and then have a pretty bad one the next week. It also doesn't help that some of his better promos were stuff relegated to the WWE App / Youtube / WWE.com

99% of Dolph's promos are garbage - I can't recall a good one outside of maybe his late 2012 run against Cena. Otherwise, he's all about STEALING THE SHOW, showing off, being so DAMN good, impressing the Universe, and other yada yada bullshit.

Dolph's alright in backstage-type promos, but he totally doesn't know how to play to a live arena. Which is weird because he wants to be a standup comic.

Isn't his contract up this year? Do you think he'll re-sign, or do you think he'll maybe try to hop over to Japan or do a del Rio-like tour of the indies to try and be a bigger fish in a smaller pond?

bjork

Got my school loan papers sent off, so once they get done laughing at my income level, my payments should be $0 for another year.

Got a lady from work sending me paperwork in regard to a missing paycheck that has yet to show up.

Got Laboon in the One Piece phone game.

Good day sirs, good day

Sephzilla

Dolph's alright in backstage-type promos, but he totally doesn't know how to play to a live arena. Which is weird because he wants to be a standup comic.

Isn't his contract up this year? Do you think he'll re-sign, or do you think he'll maybe try to hop over to Japan or do a del Rio-like tour of the indies to try and be a bigger fish in a smaller pond?

Unless Japan calls and offers him a ton of money, he's going to stay

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Got my school loan papers sent off, so once they get done laughing at my income level, my payments should be $0 for another year.

Got a lady from work sending me paperwork in regard to a missing paycheck that has yet to show up.

Got Laboon in the One Piece phone game.

Good day sirs, good day

LABOOOOOOONNNNNN!

strobogo

Banned
Dolph doing stand up must be terrible. I can imagine his speaking style killing the punch lines and him likely doing self-deprecating humor which is impossible to take seriously since he's a dude with fancy clothes and a 10 pack who bangs hot women.

bjork

Dolph doing stand up must be terrible. I can imagine his speaking style killing the punch lines and him likely doing self-deprecating humor which is impossible to take seriously since he's a dude with fancy clothes and a 10 pack who bangs hot women.

That should be his new gimmick. Like a stand-up Bad News.

"Airplane food, am I right?"

Bandini

At the least, I'm sure many of his fans can relate to his serially cracking pubescent voice.

Dolph seems like one of those dudes where it's WWE or nothing.

So I'm checking out Smack down and wtf.. I just saw the opening promo with Bryan and in stead of elavating the title by having other wrestlers chase him and do whatever it is they have to do to get a shot at it they have him in a big guy vs little fuel that has nothing to do with the Intercontinental title.

Way to make the Intercontinental title matter again.

I don't see why New Japan wouldn't try and get Dolph Ziggler, if they can. He's nowhere near the worker AJ Styles is, but he's a far bigger star, internationally, and he'd be a pretty hot ticket for them to capture the attention of western wrestling fans if they plan to continue trying to expand into this market. Offer him an IC or IWGP title run within a year, decent money, and I could see him being coaxed into giving it a shot.

Note that I don't support this as someone who wants to see NJPW do well, creatively, but from a business perspective, it makes a fair amount of sense to me.

I don't see why New Japan wouldn't try and get Dolph Ziggler, if they can. He's nowhere near the worker AJ Styles is, but he's a far bigger star, internationally, and he'd be a pretty hot ticket for them to capture the attention of western wrestling fans if they plan to continue trying to expand into this market. Offer him an IC or IWGP title run within a year, decent money, and I could see him being coaxed into giving it a shot.

Note that I don't support this as someone who wants to see NJPW do well, creatively, but from a business perspective, it makes a fair amount of sense to me.

I could see him getting launched five feet by one of Shibata's kicks, which would be entertaining. He would die in the New Japan style though. His strikes suck, and I'm not convinced he can pace a match while he's pinballing around the ring.

Eh, ACH has far more charisma than Roddy at this stage. I've always viewed Strong as a guy with as much personality as an unsalted cracker. I can't buy his promos at all, and I can't get invested in his character, whatever it's supposed to be.

Currently, I dig Dalton Castle, the stuff with Corino's son, and matches involving ACH, Matt Sydal, AJ Styles, Cedric Alexander, and The Addiction. The Bucks always liven things up too.

Watch Strong in PWG and Evovle, hes is great there, this video shows how much better he is outside ROH:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3FWMAwpA_k

Also ACH is not bland, he is mister FnP:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUO1opfLY7U

Toki767

So I'm checking out Smack down and wtf.. I just saw the opening promo with Bryan and in stead of elavating the title by having other wrestlers chase him and do whatever it is they have to do to get a shot at it they have him in a big guy vs little fuel that has nothing to do with the Intercontinental title.

Way to make the Intercontinental title matter again.
It was never going to matter. The US title might matter with Cena holding it.

I forgot who said it but I thought it rang true that the only reason Cena is doing the open challenge stuff for the title is so that creative can't book him to lose noon title matches like they do past champions.

Kaladin

CMP: When I stopped wrestling I literally lay in bed for two weeks. In a lot of ways I’m still decompressing for leading that life. I definitely went through a transitional period, probably with some depression mixed in—waking up and not knowing what to do. Normally you're waking up to catch a plane, in a different zone. But yeah, physically, you take a beating.

Vylash

Qn9w2Vm.gif

Kaladin

SI: What made you a good pro wrestler?

CMP: Well, that’s another thing in that phony world. What does it mean to be a good fake wrestler? That’s an identity crisis that I think I struggled with. It doesn't matter if you're the best; someone else picks who they want in the top spot.

SI: But were you particularly adept at the choreography—

CMP: I think I connected with the people. And the people drive the sport. If they don’t like—or they don't care about you and sit on their hands or take a piss or get popcorn when you’re on—that’s when you're no good. But if you can captivate a room, whether it’s 300 or 80,000, that’s when you’re good.

Punk just really comes off as a guy that grew to hate everything about wrestling.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Sell me on making a thread on bloodborne on gaming side
You get to ask people whether you should get something and they will FEEL compelled to tell you whether you should and actually LIST reasons why. If that isn't privilege my friend then I don't know what privilege is.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Something is weird about this.

1. It's before any of that potential stuff he is usually accused of, which all the scuttlebutt says that it happened right before he left.
2. For all of the talk of using younger talent the same Wrestlemania Macho Man first sits out, IX, has them bringing back Bob Backlund. King Kong Bundy is brought back a few months later, and a year after he leaves Roddy Piper is in a major program.
3. Even though he admitted to doing steroids he's not got the body like Hogan or Warrior where he looks completely different when he's not juicing.
4. He clearly still had it; when they do the feud with Crush he is clearly getting the biggest pop of the night.

Yeah, I agree with all this, which is why its so strange. Watching random matches of him on youtube now, and more or less every one of them is great.

Top Bottom