• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

April Wrasslin' |OT| The Spirit of the Ultimate Warrior Will Run Forever!

Alucard

Banned
ESPN relies on people just wanting to work for ESPN rather than paying all that much. I guess we're about to see how passionate Renee is about wrasslin.

Yeah, I can't imagine her enjoying her job more with ESPN. She's getting to do tons of cool stuff with the WWE, and she's probably well taken care of.

charsace

ESPN relies on people just wanting to work for ESPN rather than paying all that much. I guess we're about to see how passionate Renee is about wrasslin.

ESPN can lead to GMA. Renee can spend 3-5 years on ESPN and then transition to GMA. If they are going after her they will pay her. Liking wrestling doesn't mean she should be dumb and hurt herself.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
ESPN can lead to GMA. Renee can spend 3-5 years on ESPN and then transition to GMA. If they are going after her they will pay her. Liking wrestling doesn't mean she should be dumb and hurt herself.

'Hurt herself?' Why do people think WWE pays her peanuts?

Edgeward

It would be less travel, I would have to think. And factor in you need to pay for that yourself cause of the independent worker status.

His name was Harris. Husky wasn't his first name.

I fucking knew it.

I saw that trailer with the guy swinging a baseball bat around like it was made of foam and knew it was gonna be some bullshit.
nah dude, it's worth it. admittedly, the scenes with those two are the ones that stretch suspension of disbelief at most because you wonder why they aren't being fuckin' swarmed by guys while they're fighting, but at the same time,
they're in like two scenes
. So.

Cagey

Banned
If you want a career in wrestling, you work for WWE.

If you want a career in media, you leave immediately for ESPN and the larger Disney family and never look back.

It's not even comparable.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Is GMA the ultimate goal of everyone in broadcasting? Honest question because it's not exactly a business I pay much attention to and I have no idea what Renee's goals are.

If you want a career in media, you leave immediately for ESPN and the larger Disney family and never look back.

That sounds reasonable.

Maybe she likes the spot she is in and is compensated well enough to stay? Not everyone is about being at the top.

Man, Heyman is just so smart about his philosophy of staying relevant. How not to be the old man yelling at a cloud and evolving instead with society. Part 2 of his interview with Stone Cold is even better than the first.

MMA friends, who would win in a shoot fight: Kevin James' character from "Here Comes The Boom," or CM Punk?

I consider myself an honorary member of MMA Friends®, and I'll speak for them by telling you without a doubt that Kevin James would stomp out CM Punk and break him and make him humble.

knockout.gif
tapout.gif
bobsapp.webm

I consider myself an honorary member of MMA Friends®, and I'll speak for them by telling you without a doubt that Kevin James would stomp out CM Punk and break him, and make him humble.

knockout.gif
tapout.gif
bobsapp.gif

You mean like this?

iYSzTGn9FnnWX.gif

I have to agree with this, also the fact that Renee Young has a bit of a personality probably makes her more attractive because she could be used outside just strictly sideline reporting duties like Michelle Beadle (even though ESPN brought back Beadle recently).

Lingitiz

Would the threat of ESPN nabbing Renee give her a lot of leverage within WWE? Maybe we could actually see her on commentary after all.

alstein

Me too, WOOOO! Also, Van Dam looks kinda slow. Hopefully that's just ring rust

It's called being 43 and spending much of the last 10 years semi-active.

I wonder how TNA will pay tribute to the Ultimate Warrior during tomorrow's Impact?

A ripoff char called Recreant that looks a lot like Renegade from WCW. Maybe they'll sign Ryback to play the part.

Devin? She's a damn toolbox compared to Queen Renee. They straight up should make her the Divas commentator for RAW just so we can decrease the garbage that is King, Cole, and I hate to say this, JBL.

Lol, let's hope Devin doesn't lurk on GAF. I usually skip her segments so she might very well be a toolbox, I don't know.

DMczaf

Remember when TNA and Spike tried to start a new Monday Night War and was crushed?

They needed more limos that night.

Also, they had live feeds of Hogan's limo on the way to Impact Zone. Then he gets there, heads to the ring and the first words out of his mouth are "I've been in the back all night watching and...."

They needed more limos that night.

Also, they had live feeds of Hogan's limo on the way to Impact Zone. Then he gets there, heads to the ring and the first words out of his mouth are "I've been in the back all night watching and...."

Didn't he get out of a limo just to get into another one?

So many things went bad on that first Monday Impact. It all started downhill when it took Homicide 5 minutes to climb out of that godforsaken domed cage.

Sblargh

Banned
Renee is hit or miss on comentary, she sometimes has this horrible Michael Cole thing of talking about anything and everything that is not the match they are watching in front of them, but it's not that often and I chalk it up to inexperience. Michael Cole, on the other hand, has no excuse to distract us from the match and bring it down.
I don't know, she's ok as an analyst and she is very much in touch with the storylines, I don't think she can do play by play.
Kicking Jerry Lawler out and giving his spot to her would actually be very good from a lot of point of views. But then again, kicking Jerry Lawler out and giving his spot to the great Khali might be an improvement, too.

I can't believe tna actually has fans

ahhhhh I just went to the tna website MY EYES lol

I tried watching ironically one time and couldn't. It's fun to talk about what they did incredibly wrong in the past, but it's just a drag to see those sad people stuck in this carnival of stupid. It actually bummed me out.

Renee is hit or miss on comentary, she sometimes has this horrible Michael Cole thing of talking about anything and everything that is not the match they are watching in front of them, but it's not that often and I chalk it up to inexperience. Michael Cole, on the other hand, has no excuse to distract us from the match and bring it down.
I don't know, she's ok as an analyst and she is very much in touch with the storylines, I don't think she can do play by play.
Kicking Jerry Lawler out and giving his spot to her would actually be very good from a lot of point of views. But then again, kicking Jerry Lawler out and giving his spot to the great Khali might be an improvement, too.

As the new Mean Gene she's terrific. Great interviewer, but I just don't feel her on commentary. I would like to see a woman take over the play by play role but I don't think it'll be her. I do want to see the current commentary team launched into the sun though. Maybe keep JBL if the person they have doing play by play can keep him in line, because with soulless robot Cole there's just zero emotion and it hurts my enjoyment of matches, even really good ones. Get Tony Schiavone.

I'm not really feeling the NXT commentary either. The commentary in NXT Arrival was really good, everyone was on point. But then it's back to the usual blandness.

Yeah, true. Occasionally this can be great, like when there's a 4 man booth during a Mason Ryan match or whatever and they go off the rails completely because who reallllllllllly cares about a Mason Ryan match

Sokantish

I just want you guys to know, I don't care if Regal is on or off topic, I'll never get tired of hearing him on NXT! Did they get rid of him announcing? Or does he only do them occasionally?

Edgeward

I feel a need to rewatch WM 30 and see if the commentary gets better now knowing that Vince left to go to the hospital once the Taker match was done.

I will say that I don't think Cole is a bad announcer, I just think the announcers today are deliberately produced to talk less about the matches and more about stories and ancillary stuff. Cole's work on Smackdown before he became the lead guy was good. Not great, but good. Now they are all so heavily produced that I don't think you can really blame them for much.

Just catching up with this thread as today was basically dedicated to UFC.

Only have one thing to say: You guys talking about Pudz in any fashion doing anything in the WWE are fucking hilarious.

Let's give you guys everything you want... Let's imagine a dream world where he can pass a drug test. Let's just imagine a dream world where the WWE throws away their current policy and decides to give this 37 year old dude a shot. Let's continue living in a dream world and say he's a super-athletic guy and super smart and picks up the business as fast as a 1-in-1,000,000 guy like Kurt Angle. What...even at that breakneck pace, he's at least 39 when he gets out of training? OK. That makes sense. So how many guys does his green ass hurt? So, how long does this guy last on the brutal WWE road schedule? After all, if he's this monster draw, you need him hitting all the towns and making all the appearances. How long does he keep even looking like that, at 40, while living out of a suitcase?

Honestly, I'd give him 3 months tops before he has both quads and a biceps tear and is out for 8 months. Making his return at 41 years old.

The WWE would have to calculate that, along with the money lost from probably two or three top guys he'd likely hurt in the ring coming off their injuries as well. And they would have to be top guys, make no mistake, because you can't do squashes for very long at his age. You don't have time to build him at 40. That's right out the window. And if you guys are saying he'd be this major force and revelation to the fans and all that, well he'd have to be hot-shotted and put right in the upper-tier mix. The clock is ticking fast on this "talent."

So yeah. It's your top guys in there with this guy.

Now consider the alternative: Smaller, fitter, more natural, more durable, more skilled guys that don't hurt people bad in the ring who can make all the dates on the road and pass drug tests and still sell 600+K subscriptions and an additional 400K domestic Mania buys. Good, solid, sustainable business.

No congressional investigations into Eastern European PED smuggling either. I'm pretty sure the last thing the WWE and their shareholders and mainstream toy vendors want to hear is "Mr and Ms Mcmahon or Mr Leveque...could you please tell this committee why someone placed an order for a dozen bottles of synthesized bear testosterone from a vendor in Poland and had it delivered to your arena?"

You guys really need to get your heads out of the Weider mags and think about THIS BUSINESS. Here's a hint: It changed already, and that change is working just fine and will be completely sustainable as long as you muscle-marks don't fuck it up and send the business back to the days when Buff Bagwell was actually a guy with a roll in the industry.

Edgeward

I have more gripes with Lawler than Cole. And it's been going for a decade when he was trying to convince us how cool Cena was in the 2000s.

Top Bottom