• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

April Wrasslin' |OT| The Spirit of the Ultimate Warrior Will Run Forever!

I just want you guys to know, I don't care if Regal is on or off topic, I'll never get tired of hearing him on NXT! Did they get rid of him announcing? Or does he only do them occasionally?

"Coming from an old villain like me, I have to say I find _____'s action despicable"

Sblargh

Banned
This post started on a few words of why I don't like WWE commentary and has turned into a monster rant about how Michael Cole is worse than hitler. Now, raw and uncut, me angry at the keyboard about some guy who fails to hype fake fights:

Michael Cole is actively a detriment to the product, he makes the product worse because he either distracts from the match either by talking storyline or by talking about other stuff that happened on the show. You are trying to focus on the Kofi/Ziggler match and Michael Cole is yap yap yap yap about what Stephanie and HHH are doing to Daniel Bryan. And then people don't give a fuck about the match, because the guy hired to hype it couldn't care less about it, either. And it's not a bad match; Kofi and Ziggler are two fun and competent workers, but Michael Cole is pretending to debate JBL if Daniel Bryan is an A+ player or a B+ player, like, half an hour after the Daniel Bryan segment is over. I was watching some random RAW from the Attitude Era and after the NWO ran a truck through an ambulance with someone inside, JR was kind of in a shock that he botched (probably on purpose) the entrance of the next match; and then he apologized and called the fucking match. Michael Cole ignores entire matches everytime anything happens. He ignores almost entire midcard matches because Scooby Doo was on the show for 3 minutes a long time ago.
I say this without hyperbole, in a lot of matches, dead silence would be better than Michel Cole.

charsace

Is GMA the ultimate goal of everyone in broadcasting? Honest question because it's not exactly a business I pay much attention to and I have no idea what Renee's goals are.

That sounds reasonable.

Maybe she likes the spot she is in and is compensated well enough to stay? Not everyone is about being at the top.

Morning shows like GMA pay like a million on the low side for a years work. And she could work on other Disney/ABC shows. She would be walking away from serious bank and fame if she stayed with the WWE to do some interviews in a position where a lot of the fans don't know who she is.

alstein

Not fair to go off on Buff like that- Buff was a decent midcard talent until he got hurt bad by Rick Steiner.

He wasn't great, but prime Buff would have been at least a Miz in today's world, and the Miz's of the world have their place.

Morning shows like GMA pay like a million on the low side for a years work. And she could work on other Disney/ABC shows. She would be walking away from serious bank and fame if she stayed with the WWE to do some interviews in a position where a lot of the fans don't know who she is.

A million/yr is lowball actually. A bit player on GMA makes twice that at least.

Here's 2012 numbers:

$25 million; Matt Lauer, TODAY; $5.89 per viewer; 4.245 million viewers
$20 million; Bill O’Reilly, The O’Reilly Factor; $6.67 per viewer; 2.998 million viewers

$15 million; Sean Hannity, Hannity; $7.74 per viewer; 1.939 million viewers

$13 million; Brian Williams, NBC Nightly News with Brian Williams; $1.68 per viewer; 7.736 million viewers

$12 million; Diane Sawyer, World News with Diane Sawyer; $1.63 per viewer; 7.32 million viewers

$11 million; Anderson Cooper, Anderson Cooper 360°; $18.09 per viewer; 608,000 viewers

$10 million; Shepard Smith, Fox Report and Studio B; $5.33 per viewer; 1.877 million viewers

$8 million; Charlie Rose, CBS This Morning; $3.41 per viewer; 2.341 million viewers

$7 million; Al Roker, TODAY; $1.65 per viewer; 4.245 million viewers

$7 million; Bret Baier, Special Report with Bret Baier; $3.37 per viewer; 2.076 million viewers

$6 million; Robin Roberts, Good Morning America; $1.30 per viewer; 4.598 million viewers

$6 million; Piers Morgan, Piers Morgan Tonight; $10.71 per viewer; 560,000 viewers

$5 million; Scott Pelley, CBS Evening News with Scott Pelley; $0.87 per viewer; 5.78 million viewers

$5 million; George Stephanopoulos, Good Morning America; $1.09 per viewer; 4.598 million viewers

$5 million; Chris Matthews, Hardball with Chris Matthews; $6.23 per viewer; 803,000 viewers

$4 million; Joe Scarborough, Morning Joe; $10.90 per viewer; 367,000 viewers

$3 million; Wolf Blitzer, The Situation Room with Wolf Blitzer; $7.30 per viewer; 411,000 viewers

$2 million; Mika Brzezinski, Morning Joe; $5.45 per viewer; 367,000 viewers

$2 million; Erin Burnett, OutFront; $3.95 per viewer; 506,000 viewers

$2 million; Gayle King, CBS This Morning; $0.85 per viewer; 2.341 million viewers

$2 million; Savannah Guthrie, TODAY; $0.47 per viewer; 4.245 million viewers

Another thing about it is that the morning shows are a pretty rare healthy gig in the TV industry. The numbers are pretty sustainable, and since the audience age is the age of the workforce and retired people mostly, you can have a long career. A lot longer than most females have the chance to have in entertainment.

This post started on a few words of why I don't like WWE commentary and has turned into a monster rant about how Michael Cole is worse than hitler. Now, raw and uncut, me angry at the keyboard about some guy who fails to hype fake fights:

Michael Cole is actively a detriment to the product, he makes the product worse because he either distracts from the match either by talking storyline or by talking about other stuff that happened on the show. You are trying to focus on the Kofi/Ziggler match and Michael Cole is yap yap yap yap about what Stephanie and HHH are doing to Daniel Bryan. And then people don't give a fuck about the match, because the guy hired to hype it couldn't care less about it, either. And it's not a bad match; Kofi and Ziggler are two fun and competent workers, but Michael Cole is pretending to debate JBL if Daniel Bryan is an A+ player or a B+ player, like, half an hour after the Daniel Bryan segment is over. I was watching some random RAW from the Attitude Era and after the NWO ran a truck through an ambulance with someone inside, JR was kind of in a shock that he botched (probably on purpose) the entrance of the next match; and then he apologized and called the fucking match. Michael Cole ignores entire matches everytime anything happens. He ignores almost entire midcard matches because Scooby Doo was on the show for 3 minutes a long time ago.
I say this without hyperbole, in a lot of matches, dead silence would be better than Michel Cole.

While all of that may be true, it seems from everything I've heard and read that Vince and KD produce him that way and explicitly tell him to do things like that. If you watch his work before he became the main guy on Raw, he was not like that, at least not nearly to the degree he is now. So your anger with Michael Cole is actually anger with Vince and KD.

And can we seriously stop comparing every announcer to JR? You don't compare every basketball player to Jordan or every hockey player to Gretzky. JR was a once in a lifetime talent. No one will ever be like him, and that's what makes him special. He's not coming back. Let's get over it already.

The power of Breakfast Television Appeal.

It the best gig in TV, probably. Look at Al Roker. Pulling that kind of cash at nearly 60 and that's just one of his gigs. He also does the Weather Channel show and has his Food Network stuff and did game shows.

If you have the chance for a GMA gig, you take it.

Anth0ny

instead, we get dead silence from michael cole where some fucking talking would come in handy

Anth0ny

Again, they are all explicitly told not to freak out and yell during big moments like JR used to.

I've heard. It's fucking ridiculous.

I'm not expecting them to sell the main event angle like it's the greatest thing ever every week, JR style, but give us SOMETHING. Exciting commentary = an exciting product.

I think it all goes back to the fact that Kevin Dunn is one of the worst things to ever happen to the wrestling industry. He desperately wants the product to be something it's not and will do and say whatever he has to to try and make that happen.

Striker

Pitiful commentary like that springs the ending to the Ryback-Cena match last year to mind. Listen to Cole and Co.: http://youtu.be/Z5CipAyxIns?t=20m53s

If you somehow make it to the end, Lawler mentions briefly how the crowd were chanting Foley, but notions the bump Cener took was worse than most of the falls Foley took in his career. RIP King of Hardcore John Cena!

Hasney

Got stopped in the street on my way to work today by a drunk Spanish guy. Thought he was asking for directions, but he just said CM Punk and then proceeded to tell me that the difference between English and Spanish girls is the way they suck cock, followed by lots of exclaiming that he was surprised I stopped as English people aren't as friendly and reminded me of a Spanish guy without the tan, then proceeded to offer me a line of cocaine to make sure I was ready for work.

I politely declined the cocaine, lest I came into work demanding that WARRIORS SPEAK TO MEEEEEEE. Although, back in the day when I did a bit of coke, I think I would have been more Savage on a heavy dose.

DiscoJon

Banned
Guys, check out this awesome tumblr I found.
When Wrestling Was Cool
tumblr_m31ww0avrR1rq5iico1_500.jpg

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
There must have been some serious heat somewhere because I could never understand Kerry not being the face of WWF once Vince got a hold of him. I mean he is basically Vince's boner fantasy come to life. He's basically the Shawn Michaels Vince wanted rather than what he got. Coulda had him in the WBF!

Either that or his drug problems were even worse than HBK's

There must have been some serious heat somewhere because I could never understand Kerry not being the face of WWF once Vince got a hold of him. I mean he is basically Vince's boner fantasy come to life. He's basically the Shawn Michaels Vince wanted rather than what he got. Coulda had him in the WBF!

Either that or his drug problems were even worse than HBK's

Yup.

Dude was a mess way beyond HBK. Went from winning the Royal Rumble to losing his job, getting popped for three separate drug charges and dead in about a year.

Xater

The second part of Austin's Heyman interview is great. Makes Vince sound like the weirdest guy. That sneezing story....

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Watching this Kamala vs Kevin Sullivan arena brawl. There's several times where Sullivan tries to throw Kamala off the balcony, and it just creates his insane tension. Like, you know he's not, but in the back of your head you're just like 'holy shit Sullivan and Kamala are crazy enough that they might do it.'

Of course, if this was an indy fed, AR Fox would throw Rich Swann or whoever off the balcony and then do a corkscrew 1080 spinning press afterwards with little reaction.
Yup.

Dude was a mess way beyond HBK. Went from winning the Royal Rumble to losing his job, getting popped for three separate drug charges and dead in about a year.

David was always my favorite anyways. Don't know how far he would have gone after the NWA title since he wasn't huge physically, but he always had the more entertaining matches, and he could have been a real amazing hand just from working with guys like Harley.

Jeep Swenson was fucking huge

David was always my favorite anyways. Don't know how far he would have gone after the NWA title since he wasn't huge physically, but he always had the more entertaining matches, and he could have been a real amazing hand just from working with guys like Harley.

Absolutely. By far the best overall Von Erich. Legit 6'7" too, according to a guy I know in Dallas that played basketball with him. Dude had pretty good size (over 250) and could've gotten bigger, but his style was such that he didn't need to.

Also, dude was the best of all of them on the mic. He had great babyface fire on the mic and in the ring.

Kerry obviously had the more "movie star" good looks and body, but David was the total package.

I think if David had lived, he would have been a huge national star, and the whole story of the entire family would probably have been very very different.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Speaking of Hulk Hogan bullshit and Royal Rumble bullshit.

I don't think Hogan gets enough shit for his no-sell of the Earthquake Splash in 1991. Like everyone gets mad about the Macho Eblow, but the Earthquake splash in the rumble was even more bullshit. This was the move that Hogan got put out with IN THE SAME YEAR. Then he no sells it and clotheslines Tenta and one of the Nasty Boyz -- which was another Hogan bullshit letting his fucking friend be in the final 3. Quake kind of has the Bray thing going too with him continuing to lose and still being over. Yet they keep letting Cena pin him.

As an aside, I think I feel about Jim Duggan the way Stro does about Jimmy Hart. Get off my fucking screen you fucking boring, pandering slob.

Jamie OD

Watching this Kamala vs Kevin Sullivan arena brawl. There's several times where Sullivan tries to throw Kamala off the balcony, and it just creates his insane tension. Like, you know he's not, but in the back of your head you're just like 'holy shit Sullivan and Kamala are crazy enough that they might do it.'

Are you talking about their W*ING match in Japan? Yeah, that was a surprisingly enjoyable match because of those spots.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Big John Studd, Jim Duggan, Sergeant Slaughter, Beefcake

This is the stuff of nightmares. I'd rather have fucking Warlord out here.

strobogo

Banned
Total Divas is so amazing. Summer breaks Nattie's nose (despite not hitting her nose at all) on or at Christmas. Old School Raw (where Summer rebreaks the nose apparently) was in January. TLC was before all of it, yet Nattie is worried she won't be able to work TLC because of the nose injury. Also, LOL at her talking about how TJ was taken out of storylines when he got injured. Had he even been on anything but NXT for a year before he got hurt? And why on earth would TJ be backstage at a PPV in his ring gear?

And LOL at Cena SWERVING his girlfriend to buy a house. He could not have done it in a more heel way.

Top Bottom