• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

April Wrasslin |OT| WrassleMania Sucked

Status
Not open for further replies.

DKehoe

Taken from an article on the WWEs site, most of which was about WWE looking to make new business aquisitions. But this part was interesting.
In addition to focusing on the expansion of the company, the company will bolster its core business with the launch a new talent development department headed by Paul “Triple H®” Levesque. The new department will put a greater emphasis on worldwide recruitment, training and character development to identify future WWE Superstars and Divas. The first recruit acquired under Levesque’s new department was the signing last month of future WWE Superstar, Sin Cara™, formerly known worldwide as Mistico.

http://www.pwmania.com/artman/scott-hall-reportedly-hospitalized-following-drug-overdose

Former WWE talent Scott Hall has been hospitalized following a drug overdose, reports WrestlingNewsWorld.com. No further details are available at this time.

The former Intercontinental Champion has been battling serious health issues over the past year. He was hospitalized last June for double pneumonia, which had affected both lungs. He was hospitalized again in August due to complications from pneumonia. After recovering, Hall checked into a WWE-sponsored rehabilitation facility, and checked out in early October. Hall was hospitalized weeks later as he needed a pacemaker implanted into his heart.

bjork said:
I'm with you on the roster needing purpose. But at the same time, only so many guys can be believable chasing a title, and not everyone can get away with being a guy in trunks. I'd personally love to see some new gimmicks show up. There's a lot of guys/girls who were future endeavored who might've loved to have an over-the-top gimmick to play. Or even one not so ridiculous. Like Bull Buchanan lobbying to bring back the Waylon Mercy character. I mean, Jake Roberts' gimmick was carrying a snake in a bag, and he's still remembered 20 years past his best days by even the most casual fans. Not many of the guys on the roster today will be able to say that.

I feel like WWE is in a position where they really want to capture that UFC audience that they lost, but those folks have moved on and won't be back. So why not play up the show aspect and silliness of it? It's made a jillion dollars for KISS, because who goes to their concerts for the music? You go to see Gene spit fire and blood. Same could be so for WWE.

Of course you can only have so many people chasing a title unless you're going for 4+ people matches, but at any given time there should be 5 wrestlers for every singles title that could potentially fill a spot after a feud is over. The WWE doesn't have that. Mid card titles feuds are nonexistent, the Tag Division is D-E-A-D, the woman's division is treated like a joke with even Michael freakin' Cole interrupting matches with comments like "Can we please get this over with," and the top title feuds RARELY ever have new faces that could pose a serious threat to the established guys.

And about trying to recapture the UFC fans they lost, I really don't see how you get the impression the WWE is going after them. If anything, they're going AWAY from them even more with Hornswaggle segments, toned down matches, wrestlers with no gimmick or draw, etc. etc.

Professor Beef said:

That sucks

dream

How bad are we supposed to feel for Scott Hall?

How Hall and Jake Roberts are still alive is one of the great mysteries of pro entertainment.

jmdajr

dream said:

How Hall and Jake Roberts are still alive is one of the great mysteries of pro entertainment.

Come on dude, it's pretty unfortunate. It's not like Alcohol was held to his mouth at gun point but still.... It's not cool seeing people go out like that.

DKehoe

dream said:

I've only seen a few of them, but in his recent videos where he is watching matches and talking about them Hall comes across really well. It's made me feel a lot more sympathetic towards him.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
dream said:

Bad because he's trying. It's the ones that don't try that don't deserve as much sympathy.

dream

Lost Fragment said:
Bad because he's trying. It's the ones that don't try that don't deserve as much sympathy.

I get that, and maybe I'd feel differently if I knew him, but after 10+ years of relapses, it's hard not to write him off as a lost cause.

dream said:

If it was some randomer people would probably more or less say 'Fuck him' but people will naturally have more sympathy and find reasoning for someone they like.

Double standards I suppose.

Hope he gets well though.

UberTag

dream said:

At this point I'm expecting Jake to outlive Jeff Hardy... although Mae Young might outlast both of 'em.

DMczaf

dream said:

4yqVV.gif

bjork

Net_Wrecker said:
Of course you can only have so many people chasing a title unless you're going for 4+ people matches, but at any given time there should be 5 wrestlers for every singles title that could potentially fill a spot after a feud is over. The WWE doesn't have that. Mid card titles feuds are nonexistent, the Tag Division is D-E-A-D, the woman's division is treated like a joke with even Michael freakin' Cole interrupting matches with comments like "Can we please get this over with," and the top title feuds RARELY ever have new faces that could pose a serious threat to the established guys.

And about trying to recapture the UFC fans they lost, I really don't see how you get the impression the WWE is going after them. If anything, they're going AWAY from them even more with Hornswaggle segments, toned down matches, wrestlers with no gimmick or draw, etc. etc.

Sure, there should be, I agree with that. But honestly, when was the last time it was actually that way? It's going to require either a slow rebuild of all that stuff (which I'd actually expect once HHH is running the show) or a storyline that involves a shutdown and reboot, which we won't see because this isn't a comic book series. :p

As far as the UFC, what I mean is the way they've tried to incorporate submissions and having guys be some bland name instead of being an actual character, rather than being over the top. I've always seen that as some attempt to retain some sense of credibly physicality, but if it's a PG focus with banned moves and such, why bother at all?

antonz

dream said:

Hall tries at least to get over his problem even if not successful. Guy has a sharp mind for the industry too so its a shame because he could probably do alot of good with the younger guys.

Roberts just had a fucked up life which is easily just as sad

sajj316

antonz said:
Hall tries at least to get over his problem even if not successful. Guy has a sharp mind for the industry too so its a shame because he could probably do alot of good with the younger guys.

Roberts just had a fucked up life which is easily just as sad
But man could Roberts cut a promo!! That was the favorite thing about him. Whenever he spoke I picture a talking snake looking to instigate and tempt! The younger guys could have learned alot from him.

Novid

Banned
Guys, its simple.

Vince wants the brand to become like Broadway. And when you think about how the majority have been booked from Cena on down, it makes sense.

And I say let him.

dream

Regarding stories on Scott Hall, all we can say is Scott Hall told Top Rope Promotions about an hour ago that he was sick all day yesterday, is fine today,and woudl be appearing at their show tomorrow night in Fall River, MA which is an iPPV event.

Someone's getting worked!

bjork said:
As far as the UFC, what I mean is the way they've tried to incorporate submissions and having guys be some bland name instead of being an actual character, rather than being over the top. I've always seen that as some attempt to retain some sense of credibly physicality, but if it's a PG focus with banned moves and such, why bother at all?

I'd chalk the names up to to lack of creativity + changing of the times + the indy scene breeding their own "stars" using "normal" names. If they really wanted to give some feeling of importance or legitimacy to the product, they could go Japanese style with intros, title presentations, photographers surrounding the ring, less camera cuts, etc. but they're not doing that.

JdFoX187

Banned
Poor Hall. I know he said he didn't attend the HoF ceremony with Nash and X-Pac because he didn't want to get drawn back into that lifestyle. It seems like he really is TRYING to get better. I hope he can get cleaned up and at least make another appearance and enter the HoF.

Plywood said:
Guess Miz and Maryse are still dating.

Also I thought Punk was dating Layla, not Rhodes.
Last I heard Punk was dating Beth Phoenix. They were also shown sitting together at the Hall of Fame.

bjork

Net_Wrecker said:
I'd chalk the names up to to lack of creativity + changing of the times + the indy scene breeding their own "stars" using "normal" names. If they really wanted to give some feeling of importance or legitimacy to the product, they could go Japanese style with intros, title presentations, photographers surrounding the ring, less camera cuts, etc. but they're not doing that.

I could get behind this idea.

RBH

From Scott Hall's facebook page:

"Blood pressure dropped last night. Got it checked out. Doing fine. Went home last night after only spending a couple of hours in the hospital. Love the Internet"

Rafa=FedKilla said:
You gotta do that to french Canadian women or they start begging for food.
I just tried this and it didn't work, but

a) She's only 2 years old
b) She's really only 1/4 French-Canadian at most.

"APPLE SAUUUUUUCE" sobbing.

Ryck

krae_man said:
Orton has a large number of moves he does per match. Along with the Stomps, Punches and Headlocks he does:

Scoop Slam, Drop Kick, Superplex, Ring Ropes DDT, Angle Slam, Lou Thesz Press, Modified Headlock backbreaker etc. He's no man of 1004 holds or anything but he has way more then 3.
Oh I know he's capable of them. He just rarely uses them outside of the RRDDT.

somedevil

Rated-Rsuperstar said:
I see Daniels is back to double duty. It would be nice if TNA would just let the Suicide gimmick die already.

Could be okato playing suicide.

Well TNA just did another attempted murder angle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom