• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

April Wrasslin |OT| WrassleMania Sucked

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just watched the Tough Enough premiere. Wow, that was great! Stone Cold is the perfect host.

I don't know how Luke can possibly lose. He's got the body, the face, the potential... it's almost like he's a plant. He's that far above the others.

antonz

Heavy said:
Just watched the Tough Enough premiere. Wow, that was great! Stone Cold is the perfect host.

I don't know how Luke can possibly lose. He's got the body, the face, the potential... it's almost like he's a plant. He's that far above the others.
He could be though I dont think his overall attitude is one that is gonna fit well. The Fratboy drunk and stay up all night antics are not gonna go over in modern WWE

alstein

Kyoufu said:
Aside from brawling, thats all he he has been doing lately. I miss his You Can't See Me vertical suplex :(

Many really good wrestlers don't have a huge bag of holds.

Even Flair in the 80s didn't use a ton of holds.

Lawler's an all-time great- but he only used basic holds and punches. He did them all really well though, which is important.

Also sometimes you get surprised, I saw Hogan pull out a cross-armbreaker a couple of times in matches (once vs Bret, and I think he's used it in Japan also)

Matches are also shorter these days, so you don't need as many holds.

Heavy said:

Matt Cross is a lock for a contract. Friends with Punk, Bourne, probably Bryan, and his head seems to be in the game. It was pretty funny seeing the 4 of them talking about protein powder while everybody was getting drunk.

canadian crowe said:
Matt Cross is a lock for a contract. Friends with Punk, Bourne, probably Bryan, and his head seems to be in the game.
Really? You don't see any potential problems with a guy 3 inches shorter and 10 lbs. lighter than Evan Bourne making it in the WWE?

dream

I think I read something in the last Observer about Vince having little to no control over Tough Enough. Lemme go dig it up.

The new show is a WWE project, but there is little input from the company and Vince McMahon has nothing to do with the show. It was the production company that hired Steve Austin for the job, and he’s the glue to the show.

That said, there's no way it's not rigged as fuck.

Uh, how do you rig something when it's advertised that they are actively picking the winners? This isn't like a game of chance or anything.

People these days...

dream

I dunno, I can see a situation where the production company behind it wants to push someone the WWE doesn't want.

So is Superstars going the way of NXT or is it simply gone for good? I know that NXT survives due to it's international TV deals, so I was thinking similarly for SS, but I could see SS being replaced by Tough Enough.

More on Morrison/Melina:

It was reported yesterday that there is backstage heat on John Morrison and Melina as a result of their behind the scenes treatment of Trish Stratus. It was claimed that either he or Melina, his girlfriend, felt Stratus took her spot at Wrestlemania XXVII. Morrison rejected various ideas Stratus had for the match and was said to be very difficult to work with. During the live performance, Morrison appeared visibly cold to Status, not making eye contact with her and dodging her following its conclusion. Morrison's treatment of Stratus reportedly hurt her feelings. Word quickly spread amongst the locker room, garnering heat for both himself and Melina among some circles.

Regarding the validity of the story, former WWE talent Sean Waltman (a/k/a X-Pac), who was on hand for the WrestleMania festivities in Atlanta, wrote yesterday on Twitter that a participant of the Six-Person Mixed Tag Team Match did not behave in a professional manner. He wrote to Stratus, "It was wonderful seeing you this weekend. You are a true professional, unlike someone else in your match and I don't mean Snookie."

He then added that he was very surprised and disappointed by the person's unprofessionalism.

According to a friend of Melina's, the Raw Diva is legitimately upset with Stratus. Melina has privately said that her source of contention with Stratus is not because she herself was snubbed from WrestleMania due to her, but because many of the Divas were. She's upset that many of them were snubbed from the grand event when they're on the road throughout the year, unlike her. Melina also said that she's not the only girl upset with Stratus for "taking their spot."

Matthew Gallant said:
Really? You don't see any potential problems with a guy 3 inches shorter and 10 lbs. lighter than Evan Bourne making it in the WWE?

Nope. Sin Cara just debuted (I know there is a big difference, but stature isn't holding him back).

Plus they were really picky when it came to talent, so somebody must see something in him.

Carnby

Random Request: Does anyone have that funny (and unflattering) picture of Road Dogg Jesse James? Its the one where he's on a bus and smiling directly into the camera. I was trying to find it on Google to show a friend, but I'm having no luck.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Shadowlink said:
With Vince changing World Wrestling Entertainment to just WWE, will they also change the Wrestlemania name?
Etertainmania
WWEMania
Colemania
Fackingbullshetmania

jaekwon15 said:
Random Request: Does anyone have that funny (and unflattering) picture of Road Dogg Jesse James? Its the one where he's on a bus and smiling directly into the camera. I was trying to find it on Google to show a friend, but I'm having no luck.

2qm2dsp.png

jaekwon15 said:

2mwz3m8.jpg

Shadowlink said:
With Vince changing World Wrestling Entertainment to just WWE, will they also change the Wrestlemania name?
Maybe they'll shorten it to "WM," and and just refer to it as "the __th edition of entertainment's greatest spectacle."

Or just "Mania."

Just finished watching superstars....

When was the last time DiBiase won a match? I can't seem to rememer when and who it was....lol

RBH

Another shit episode of Impact.

Fell asleep during the main event. Usually, you'll get one decent episode of Impact every 5-6 weeks, but it's felt like ages since we last had a watchable episode of Impact.

RBH said:
Another shit episode of Impact.

Fell asleep during the main event. Usually, you'll get one decent episode of Impact every 5-6 weeks, but it's felt like ages since we last had a watchable episode of Impact.

Honestly, Impact is just background noise for me now. Once every 5 minutes I turn around to see what's happening, but other than that, mehhhhhh.

krae_man

Cheerleaders are also like this. They think Cheerleader has a bad image so they want to be called "athletes". Same dumb idea to insist on being referred to as a generic term that doesn't even begin to describe what they do.

What the fuck is a Sports Entertainer? A Harlem Globetrotter? A Stars on Ice Figureskater? A Cirque Soleil performer? I have no idea.

krae_man said:
Cheerleaders also like this. They think Cheerleader has a bad image so they want to be called "athletes". Same dumb idea to insist on being referred to as a generic term that doesn't even begin to describe what they do.

What the fuck is a Sports Entertainer? A Harlem Globetrotter? A Stars on Ice Figureskater? A Cirque Soleil performer? I have no idea.

Exactly. If you say 'Give an example of a sports entertainer' to people and they'd get confused.

Ask someone for an example of a wrestler and you'd get Flair, Hogan, Rock, Austin, Giant Haystacks, Big Daddy, Earthquake etc. More or less everyone knows the name of a professional wrestler.

jmdajr

On a serious note, I guess Vince doesn't know what do for people to take his company seriously as a form of entertainment. For example, even though they have come clean about it being scripted for almost two decades now, people still don't really know. They act like it's a secret.

"Wow, why do you watch that it's so fake." It's unbelievable... like they are in on something I'm not. Congratulations, you're a genius and figured that out all by yourself!

To this day most people that are not into it think they are running some sort of a scam to fool people. Namely... Idiots... :(

What do you do?

AnEternalEnigma said:
More on Morrison/Melina:

Morrison's behavior can not be excused. But I can see why Melina and other Divas would be upset at them not having the chance to take a spot in Wrestlemania because WWE had to promote Tough Enough.

Trish could have fulfilled a variety of other roles at WM and let an existing diva take the stage. There was no reason for even having JoMo and Ziggler in the match, should have just made it a 3v3 divas match.

WM booking had to go to shit because we removed MITB, where they could have easily fit in 10 superstars and given us an awesome match.

For wrestling to become good/popular again it must ditch the dumb story lines and treat it more like a sport like in Japan and WWF in the 80's and to a certain extent ECW. It needs a more serious tone with minimal story. Also bring back some gimmicks, nothing cartoony but give the wrestlers a bit more character. Wrestling story lines are one of those things that have a tough time adjusting in pop culture these days. Pro wrestling is just one of those things that has not aged well and must return to its basic "wrassling" roots for it to win fans back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom