• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

April Wrasslin |OT| WrassleMania Sucked

Status
Not open for further replies.

sajj316

Sting vs. Taker match was "close" ... interesting comments by Sting. Does what he say hold merit? I think the WWE has been pretty generous to former WCW World Champs (ie Flair, Booker T, Goldberg, etc ..)

http://www2.dailystar.co.uk/inthering/view/184049/Wrestlemania-takes-hold/

Sting tells FT he was approached and offered a match with Undertaker, and a place in the Hall of Fame but he turned it down.

“I wouldn’t say it was utter nonsense, that’s not true!” laughs TNA’s champ. “It’s a dream match that fans would want to see. It was close. I’m glad things turned out the way they did.

“There are so many variables. Let’s just say that I turned it down for the same reasons I always have. Some- thing in me never trusted what would happen up there, based entirely on the track record with other WCW guys and everything that went on after Vince bought WCW.

Ricochet is pretty much the most impressive high flyer currently working in the US - although Jack Evans has been doing that double moonsault for years. Also, check out PAC from the UK - I'd dare say he's even more impressive than Ricochet and has been tearing it up in Japan for the past few years.

And speaking of cool moves, I just watched an Osaka Pro show and loved this move called Armageddon by Kaijin Habu Otoko;

kaijin-habu-otoko_o_GIFSoupcom2.gif

I don't even know how to call that one - a neck-hold gory special variation front-flipped into a sit-out powerbomb?

Bootaaay said:
Ricochet is pretty much the most impressive high flyer currently working in the US - although Jack Evans has been doing that double moonsault for years. Also, check out PAC from the UK - I'd dare say he's even more impressive than Ricochet and has been tearing it up in Japan for the past few years.

And speaking of cool moves, I just watched an Osaka Pro show and loved this move called Armageddon by Kaijin Habu Otoko;

kaijin-habu-otoko_o_GIFSoupcom2.gif

I don't even know how to call that one - a neck-hold gory special variation front-flipped into a sit-out powerbomb?

I'd call that...

WHAT A MANEUVER!

Lunchbox

Banned
Bootaaay said:

that looks more dependent on the guy taking the hit than him actually doing it. like how he has do a backflip and then transition into a powerbomb position for the other guy to complete the sit down powerbomb. i doubt someone like orton can take that move no matter how good the guy delivering is.

Lunchbox said:
that looks more dependent on the guy taking the hit than him actually doing it. like how he has do a backflip and then transition into a powerbomb position for the other guy to complete the sit down powerbomb. i doubt someone like orton can take that move no matter how good the guy delivering is.
Yeah. I agree. No doubt it's a flashy move, but it's also dependant on the receiver.

Holy shit, dream. That bump is ridiculous...

DKehoe

Its amazing how flexible Jack Evans is. The MMA fighter Josh Barnett was trying all sorts of submission holds on him and just couldn't get them in because of how flexible Jack is.

lupinko

sajj316 said:
Sting vs. Taker match was "close" ... interesting comments by Sting. Does what he say hold merit? I think the WWE has been pretty generous to former WCW World Champs (ie Flair, Booker T, Goldberg, etc ..)

Sting tells FT he was approached and offered a match with Undertaker, and a place in the Hall of Fame but he turned it down.

“I wouldn’t say it was utter nonsense, that’s not true!” laughs TNA’s champ. “It’s a dream match that fans would want to see. It was close. I’m glad things turned out the way they did.

“There are so many variables. Let’s just say that I turned it down for the same reasons I always have. Some- thing in me never trusted what would happen up there, based entirely on the track record with other WCW guys and everything that went on after Vince bought WCW.

Steve Borden is not fair. =(

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I just finished watching "The Rise and Fall of WCW" on Netflix. What an unbelievably well done documentary. It brought back so many great memories (the cruiserweight matches are sorely missed) and then, during the Russo era, so many bad memories. Even though they didn't touch on it, it also made me think of how horrible the WCW "Invasion" angle was in the WWF.

I can't believe how badly Russo, Jarrett, and Nash screwed up that company. How in the world did Bischoff go from genius to moron so quickly? I can't believe the incredibly bad decisions made--David Arquette, KISS Demon, Tank Abbott, the terrible gimmicks, the "finger pokes of doom" and more.

Also, I don't care what anybody says--nobody in the wrestling business will ever be as over as Goldberg was during his buildup to the title match with Hogan and the year after. Nobody. Taking the belt off him was the beginning of the end for WCW. Add that to the complete lack of buildup for anybody other than Goldberg or the NWO and that sealed the deal for that company.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
sajj316 said:

I get his concern but I thought Vince gave Flair a wonderful sendoff and a great last run with the title.

Plinko said:
I just finished watching "The Rise and Fall of WCW" on Netflix. What an unbelievably well done documentary. It brought back so many great memories (the cruiserweight matches are sorely missed) and then, during the Russo era, so many bad memories. Even though they didn't touch on it, it also made me think of how horrible the WCW "Invasion" angle was in the WWF.

I can't believe how badly Russo, Jarrett, and Nash screwed up that company. How in the world did Bischoff go from genius to moron so quickly? I can't believe the incredibly bad decisions made--KISS Demon, Tank Abbott, the terrible gimmicks, the "finger pokes of doom" and more.

Also, I don't care what anybody says--nobody in the wrestling business will ever be as over as Goldberg was during his buildup to the title match with Hogan and the year after. Nobody. Taking the belt off him was the beginning of the end for WCW. Add that to the complete lack of buildup for anybody other than Goldberg or the NWO and that sealed the deal for that company.

I still don't think Goldberg was that over.

Plinko

crimzonflame said:
I still don't think Goldberg was that over.

If you're thinking of the way Vince botched up his character then I understand but you can't possibly be talking about his WCW run. That was insanity.

Kyoufu

Plinko said:
If you're thinking of the way Vince botched up his character then I understand but you can't possibly be talking about his WCW run. That was insanity.

He was the Super-Cena of WCW.

You can't see beat me!

I'm glad he's gone. He was fed so much. Good riddance.

lupinko

Plinko said:

Goldberg's WWE run was botched? I'd say they give him a good run, mowing down Rock, taking out Evolution, WHC run, also feud with the biggest new star at the time in Lesnar. Greenberg was only signed for 1 year so it's not like they could do anymore than they already did.

IMO the only WCW wrestler they really messed up was DDP. =/

Everybody else that came in afterward had good runs, hell even Bischoff of all people had a good run.

I think Steve Borden is taking too much of lolTNA's crack.

Lunchbox

Banned
Plinko said:
he was as over as R-truth is right now, and he wasnt half the wrestler r-truth is

Warrior 80s
bret 90s
Austin 98-01
Rock 99-02

were all more over than him. and they didnt need the whole roster to put them over in 2 minute squashes (except for warrior, he was the original greenberg)

Plinko

Kyoufu said:
He was the Super-Cena of WCW.

You can't see beat me!

I'm glad he's gone. He was fed so much. Good riddance.

Of course he was "fed"--it's professional wrestling. They're all "fed" to a certain degree--remember WWF sticking Lesnar on taped Smackdowns so they could pump crowd reaction in?

However, if they can't get over with the crowd, it won't stick. Goldberg did. It may have been the biggest case of "right place, right time" in wrestling but anybody arguing that he wasn't over with the crowd is insane.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
sajj316 said:

UGDrG.gif

Plinko

Lunchbox said:
he was as over as R-truth is right now, and he wasnt half the wrestler r-truth is

Warrior 80s
bret 90s
Austin 98-01
Rock 99-02

were all more over than him. and they didnt need the whole roster to put them over in 2 minute squashes (except for warrior, he was the original greenberg)

OK, this is nuts. Absolutely nuts. It's clear you can't have a rational conversation about the topic when you make comments like this. You sound like the biggest WWE rube right now.

Kyoufu

Plinko said:
Of course he was "fed"--it's professional wrestling. They're all "fed" to a certain degree--remember WWF sticking Lesnar on taped Smackdowns so they could pump crowd reaction in?

However, if they can't get over with the crowd, it won't stick. Goldberg did. It may have been the biggest case of "right place, right time" in wrestling but anybody arguing that he wasn't over with the crowd is insane.

Didn't say he wasn't over with the crowd. The guy had a lot of fans no doubt. He was a beast, but how large was his streak on WCW? 140+? That is just so retarded. Two wrestlers lost their titles to him in one night. :lol

DKehoe

Lunchbox said:

Warrior 80s
bret 90s
Austin 98-01
Rock 99-02

No way Bret was as over as Goldberg. Goldberg drew way more.
And R-Truth? Seriously?
Goldberg drew 40,000 people in an arena for a Nitro.

Plinko

Kyoufu said:
Didn't say he wasn't over with the crowd. The guy had a lot of fans no doubt. He was a beast, but how large was his streak on WCW? 140+? That is just so retarded. Two wrestlers lost their titles to him in one night. :lol

I disagree. I miss the long title runs. It's like WWE instantly went into ADD mode with the titles over the past 5 years.

Lunchbox

Banned
Plinko said:
OK, this is nuts. Absolutely nuts. It's clear you can't have a rational conversation about the topic when you make comments like this. You sound like the biggest WWE rube right now.
youre complaining about lesnar in taped smackdowns, WCW would redo sections and have signs that would say boo/cheer like they have in late night talk shows if the crowd wasnt doing what they were supposed to do

they brought in goldberg to squash whoever they wanted cause they knew he would break someones neck, jaw, throat if he was left in there for more than 5 mins. his shtick got old after awhile. austin/rock were way more over and they had more longevity because their popularity wasnt built upon cheap pops like goldbergs

Kyoufu

Plinko said:
I disagree. I miss the long title runs. It's like WWE instantly went into ADD mode with the titles over the past 5 years.

A long title run is A-OK, but when you roflstomp the entire locker room for 140+ wins and take two titles in one event, that is just fucked up and out of control.

DKehoe

As JR was saying about Goldberg in one of those legends roundtables, what does it matter if he "shouldn't" be over because he is too green or whatever? If a guy is over you push him as far as he can go. Booking guys is all about hiding the negatives and accentuating the positives.

Lunchbox said:
If you are in the opening match you are by definition not the main draw. Goldberg was the main draw for the show I mentioned. You are also comparing a Wrestlemania with an episode of Nitro.

dream

DKehoe said:
As JR was saying about Goldberg in one of those legends roundtables, what does it matter if he "shouldn't" be over because he is too green or whatever? If a guy is over you push him as far as he can go. Booking guys is all about hiding the negatives and accentuating the positives.

This.

The flip side of that is someone like Miz who isn't over at all despite being pushed as a top guy.

Plinko

Lunchbox said:
youre complaining about lesnar in taped smackdowns, WCW would redo sections and have signs that would say boo/cheer like they have in late night talk shows if the crowd wasnt doing what they were supposed to do

they brought in goldberg to squash whoever they wanted cause they knew he would break someones neck, jaw, throat if he was left in there for more than 5 mins. his shtick got old after awhile. austin/rock were way more over and they had more longevity because their popularity wasnt built upon cheap pops like goldbergs

This along with the link you posted as "proof" that R-truth is more over are hurting your case.

Brinbe

dream said:
This.

The flip side of that is someone like Miz who isn't over at all despite being pushed as a top guy.
Exactly, and they tend to do that a lot lately. But as I've read/heard a lot, everything is built around an audience of one. So that explains things a bit.

Late with picks....

Miz vs Cena
Edge vs Del Rio
Undertaker vs HHH
Cole vs Lawler
CM Punk vs Orton
Rhodes vs Mysterio
Sheamus vs Bryan
Snooki's team vs LayCool
Babyfaces vs Corre

Tie-breaker - Miz vs Cena
Second tie-breaker - 24:55

dream

Lunchbox spitting truth about R-Truth while rocking a Paul The Truth Pierce avatar is fucking awesome.

Lunchbox

Banned
Plinko said:
This along with the link you posted as "proof" that R-truth is more over are hurting your case.
hurting my case for what? did goldbergs pops last? the "he was over" part that youre talking about is from the cheap pops from the all squash matches. but as soon as that got stale and the marks got over him they had to put him in some real matches, and he was useless. he couldnt carry the company.

wwe gave him as much of a push they could. made rock put him over in his first feud, gave him the belt and he was constantly on the main event throughout the year. what else could've they done with a pile of meat that cant do more than squash matches? Goldberg=cheap pops (just like r-truths whats up!)

dream

It's like how R-Truth was crazy over with his what's up music, then they gave him a new song and he got reactions on the level of Miz or Daniel Bryan. So they changed his music back and now he's a Superstar again.

Goldberg is basically the equivalent of a hot entrance theme.

dream

This is not an April Fool's joke. WWE has followed the lead by KFC. There was a meeting yesterday where the subject was to no longer be called World Wrestling Entertainment, because of Vince's decree to eliminate the word wrestling from the product, and just be WWE. A couple of sources have said the meeting ended with that directive, one of which came from ESPN which got the word.

Hahahahahhahaha.

Are we EntertainmentGAF now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom