• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

April Wrasslin |OT| WrassleMania Sucked

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brinbe

dream said:
Why end the streak? It's the only thing people believe in anymore. Whoever beats Undertaker will quickly become just another guy again given the WWE's booking style.

I'd like to see Undertaker go 20-0 and let the streak become a part of pro entertainment mythology.
totally agree, let him get that win next year against whomever and that's it.

dream said:
Why end the streak? It's the only thing people believe in anymore.

That's precisely why it needs to be broken. It would be stupid to throw 20 years of booking down the drain to no one's benefit.

A little late to the part but lol @ the title change.

I just want to reiterate that Miz' intro with the Hate Me Now was done really well. It made me a fan.

Khrno

Basileus777 said:
Other than Kane, who could that possible be? The most over heel should just break it next year.

Turn Cena heel, make the usual super Cena into the most dominating heel champion ever during a year, then have a heel super Cena that loses to no one go against the Taker for a last title reign so he can retire as Champion with a 20-0 after beating the biggest guy in the company.

Kyoufu

Mr. Sam said:
I wonder if Rhodes will get a world title shot or, more likely, Del Rio will get a rematch.

Now that Cody has gotten his revenge, its time to do the right thing:

Draft him to RAW.

I mean seriously, do you really think they'll let him beat Super Edge on Smackdown?

Barrage

Basileus777 said:
That's precisely why it needs to be broken. It would be stupid to throw 20 years of booking down the drain to no one's benefit.

The existence of the streak can be used to build whoever chases it.

Kyoufu

Lunchbox said:
Cody to raw, face miz
Shemus to smackdown
Del rio to raw
jomo to smackdown

Why would you do that to JoMo? He deserves to be on the #1 brand. Saying that, he also deserves a fucking title :(

Khrno

Kyoufu said:
I mean seriously, do you really think they'll let him beat Super Edge on Smackdown?

Super Edge? Super isn't the title for someone that had lost in the previous 4 WM. So lay down your hate. Edge is great, and his success is because he can put good matches and is the best heel of the last decade.

-Pyromaniac- said:
Ending the streak is the dumbest idea ever. He'll keep it and retire with it, as he should.

at this point who could do it? HBK is a legend and he couldn't do it twice. His good buddy and fellow legend HHH couldn't do it. The way HBK was telling him "You can't win" gave the streak so much power. There is now something almost mystical about it.

slit

Kusagari said:
The icon of WCW vs the icon of WWE with the icon of WCW coming out on top.

It could happen!

Yes, and then afterwards Koko B. Ware's pet macaw Frankie will fly out of Vince's butthole completely spray painted in fluorescent pink.

DMczaf

Ninja Scooter said:
at this point who could do it? HBK is a legend and he couldn't do it twice. His good buddy and fellow legend HHH couldn't do it. The way HBK was telling him "You can't win" gave the streak so much power. There is now something almost mystical about it.

It's going to be revealed on Raw tomorrow night that Taker was technically dead during the final 5 mins of that match, but his soul wouldn't quit.

Kyoufu

Khrno said:
Super Edge? Super isn't the title for someone that had lost in the previous 4 WM. So lay down your hate. Edge is great, and his success is because he can put good matches and is the best heel of the last decade.

Sorry but Super Edge is perfectly valid given how Edge is:

- Immune to finishers/slams. During his feud with Kane, he was only chokeslammed once out of 30 attempts. Show me where he doesn't get out of any kind of slam attempt. Must be in his contract or something lol

- Has held the title since last year. He is on a winning streak here.

Super Edge is what he will be called until he loses :p

spindashing said:
A little late to the part but lol @ the title change.

I just want to reiterate that Miz' intro with the Hate Me Now was done really well. It made me a fan.
Not done really well. It was excellent.

Khrno

Kusagari said:
JoMo could actually be in the main event on Smackdown.

Christian is the second top face of SD at the moment, if Del Rio gets the title in XR, after Edge gets his rematch, the next opponent should be Christian, and he has some victories over Del Rio already.

Azuran

Banned
Khrno said:

He beat an IWC darling so now he's a bad guy in the eyes of people.

Ninja Scooter said:
I agree. It's one of those things that will go down in WWE history as an unimaginable feat that no one will ever reach. And no one ever will!

Kusagari

Ninja Scooter said:

Sting is the only guy that really makes sense as an opposing threat anymore when it comes right down to it. Sting could even say he wants to humiliate Taker and the WWE by beating the Immortal 19-0 Undertaker at the biggest show of them all.

But yeah it has zero chance of happening.

Kyoufu

-Pyromaniac- said:
I agree. It's one of those things that will go down in WWE history as an unimaginable feat that no one will ever reach. And no one ever will!

Only two people can do it:

Sting: because he is a fucking icon, when one man's soul darkens etc etc

Goldberg: because he is booked to be invincible, squashing anyone in his path.

Khrno

Kyoufu said:

- Immune to finishers/slams. During his feud with Kane, he was only chokeslammed once out of 30 attempts. Show me where he doesn't get out of any kind of slam attempt. Must be in his contract or something lol

Well, I would agree that his face character has been in the super side, because if we go back to 2009, he lost against Punk, twice if I remember correctly, when he was still the champion, he got dominated by Taker on both WM and SS, and a few more times during that year. Hardy, Batista, Jericho, etc, everyone has had the upperhand on him, but he was just the ultimate opportunist and got the titles somehow, that was his main feature as a heel, but he was far from super.

But ok, I will agree with you that the current Edge is more super than Cena.

Penguin

Kyoufu said:

Since last year you mean Dec, and technically he "lost" it in Feb to Ziggler, and won it back the same night.

Hell, Miz has been champion longer than Edge...

Wait, is this the first Mania since the brand split in which neither title changed hands?

Was there really only 2 title matches on this show?

-Pyromaniac- said:

What a wasted opportunity that would be. What's the point of a fake streak if it's never used to put someone over?

antonz

Taker will hold onto the streak as long as something doesnt happen to Vince between now and next WM.

HHH straight up said in the WM DVD that he believes the streak should be broken.

Kyoufu

Khrno said:
Well, I would agree that his face character has been in the super side, because if we go back to 2009, he lost against Punk, twice if I remember correctly, when he was still the champion, he got dominated by Taker on both WM and SS, and a few more times during that year. Hardy, Batista, Jericho, etc, everyone has had the upperhand on him, but he was just the ultimate opportunist and got the titles somehow, that was his main feature as a heel, but he was far from super.

But ok, I will agree with you that the current Edge is more super than Cena.

Yeah of course, he has had many losses, injuries etc, but the current Edge is on some Super stuff like Cena was.

antonz

Coins said:
Its all over twitter that Undertaker has been taken to the hospital for really low blood pressure and weak pulse.
Likely a work. Paul Bearer was on twitter just a bit ago bitching about fans thinking they know how to book better and said fuck it he was going to go celebrate with friends

Basileus777 said:
lol what?

Putting someone over isn't a personal thing you do to make someone else better. It's a method to making someone else a reason to watch. Undertaker's Wrestlemania streak and his streak of great matches while defending it is the biggest reason to watch. Putting anyone over with it doesn't help the company or the person getting put over.

What would have been Undertaker's Mania matches and feuds and the best things on the card for the last three years if he had went 15-1?

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Basileus777 said:
I disagree. Some legends are perfectly fine to be left standing on their own.

The streak wasn't really a big deal until 7 or 8 years ago, and it has only been in the last 3-5 manias (Particularly since Mr. Wrestlemania set his sights on it) where it has become legendary and taken on a life of its own Outside of maybe his matches against mysterio, edge, HBK, and this year's match with HHH, the matches that compose the streak are mostly forgettable. However, the streak is now being used as the bookend for the careers of all the old talent remaining from the pre-attitude era, some of the greatest legends the business has ever seen, from its greatest era.

Outside of the whole of the wrestlemania careers of Shawn Michaels (and MAYBE Bret Hart), there is no greater legacy in all of wrestlemania than the streak, in my opinion. And if you have someone end the streak, well, then it's no longer the streak. You've killed that legacy.

It's bigger than any one person's career now, in my opinion. It's taker's career, and the bookends of the careers of HHH and Mr Wrestlemania himself.

Knox

Maybe it's because I wasn't expecting much, or maybe it's cause I haven't sat down and watched a whole WWE PPV in a long time, but I actually thought it was pretty good. Edge/Del Rio was good, despite going on way early and pretty much giving away that Edge would retain. Rhodes/Rey was surprising for me. I don't follow Smackdown, so I was impressed how far Cody has come. Orton/Punk was a little disappointing but still really good. I was hoping it wouldn't be a typical Orton flash RKO finish, but at least they altered it a little bit. Punk's face after the dodged bullet was great, and coming off the top rope was a good spot. Cole/King could have gone shorter, but at least the filler matches came and went pretty quick. I was happy that all the singles matches got a good amount of time.

Taker/HHH was good, but I didn't love it. I think it was too obvious that they were cashing in on their reputations with all the finisher kick outs, and the meat wasn't there that was in the HBK matches. But still it told a good story. Miz/Cena I can't comment on cause my lamp was crapping out during most of it, but the booking could definitely have been better. Why did Rock restart the match only to immediate have it end with the same result?

Although I had a good time watching with friends, looking back and thinking about it now, that was a pretty mehhhhh Wrestlemania. Short matches, tons of wasted time with the Cole/Lawler match, short as hell opening title match, REALLY BAD very boring main event until The Rock brought something to it., etc. etc.

- Taker/HHH was fun, but didn't come anywhere near HBK/Taker I or II
- Del Rio/Edge was WAY too short
- CM Punk has some of the best in-ring mannerisms of any current wrestler. He works the crowd into it so well, and mocks his opponent perfectly.
- The Rock squashing the Champ to end the show? Yeaaaahhhhh...
- The Miz/John Cena was so bad. Nothing special at all.
- 2 minute 8 man tag was embarrassing
- No Daniel Bryan/Sheamus which could've probably been the BEST match of the night.
- 6 person mixed tag was garbage
- Lawler/Cole was super boring
- Rhodes/Mysterio was solid

Kusagari

The streak is now at a point where it's unfeasible for anyone who has ever competed in WWE to have any shot at breaking it. He's beaten all the best the WWE has to offer him. Thus, the only way 20-0 will mean anything is if he beats the best wrestler outside the WWE. He needs to get 20-0 by beating Sting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom