• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

April Wrasslin |OT| WrassleMania Sucked

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZeroRay

AnEternalEnigma said:
Bumping Sheamus/Bryan to the dark match really shows you how much WWE gives a damn about their mid-card singles titles now. The morose way they treated titles began with the tag titles and now it's spread to the U.S./IC titles.

Can you imagine Mr. Perfect vs. Big Bossman getting bumped to the WM7 dark match? Or Roddy Piper vs. Bret Hart getting bumped to the WM8 dark match?

These titles don't seem to hold any value anymore. This was a RAW thing at first with the Intercontinental, but it spread to Smackdown in recent years. Don't worry though,
the WHC is their midcard title now.

ZeroRay

Kccitystar said:
Supposedly Undertaker legitimately hurt himself at WM and they had to wing everything else up until the main event

Taker took a few hard neck bumps in the match so I wouldn't be surprised. The dive, pedigrees, and tombstone all looked dangerous.

Hopefully he didn't get hurt cause neck injuries like that stay forever.

Edit: link?

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Linkhero1 said:
What Vince needs to phase out is himself.
and Michael Hayes, and Stephanie

Fortunately HHH's sperm seems to be phasing out Stephanie so Vince doesn't have to do it.

Kccitystar

ZeroRay said:
Taker took a few hard neck bumps in the match so I wouldn't be surprised. The dive, pedigrees, and tombstone all looked dangerous.

Hopefully he didn't get hurt cause neck injuries like that stay forever.

Edit: link?

Not exactly a link, just chatter from the wresting message boards I frequent and the LAW radio show. Supposedly someone called in saying that they saw Taker and Mrs. Taker check into a hotel and he could hardly walk, looking legitimately hurt.

I just think Taker is that damn good at selling and concluding the storyline but then again, I've never seen him carted out

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
Even at a discounted price...i'm still kinda mad...at myself for buying it cause in 6 hours I'm swapping for a new DVR(with extra space) which means I can only watch this shit 2 more times if the cable guy is late :(((((((((((

It's cool that Mania was in 720p last night...before it was 1080i AFAIK. You could barley see any artifacting with the giant titantron stuff. The WM26 bluray had some shitty quality.

Yeah I could DL a high quality rip but it wouldn't look as good. :\

This show shitted all over my hype. No Del Rio title...Cena got screwed...and Undertaker never seek revenge on Barrett or Kane for "killing" him..but HHH made him get carted off..holy shit it was only 2 titles defended on this show

TWO TITLES OUT OF 5

WWE Classics On Demand is waaaaaaaaaaaay better for $8 a month. They got Mania 26 and No Way Out 05(JBL vs Big Show cage match and Angle/Cena in last match of the #1 contender tournament) plus full ECW episodes up for the week -_-

Kyoufu

jobber said:
Even at a discounted price...i'm still kinda mad...at myself for buying it cause in 6 hours I'm swapping for a new DVR(with extra space) which means I can only watch this shit 2 more times if the cable guy is late :(((((((((((

It's cool that Mania was in 720p last night...before it was 1080i AFAIK. You could barley see any artifacting with the giant titantron stuff. The WM26 bluray had some shitty quality.

Yeah I could DL a high quality rip but it wouldn't look as good. :\

This show shitted all over my hype. No Del Rio title...Cena got screwed...and Undertaker never seek revenge on Barrett or Kane for "killing" him..but HHH made him get carted off..holy shit it was only 2 titles defended on this show

TWO TITLES OUT OF 5

What? There are other titles in WWE?

jobber

sumo390 said:
The Divas championsh.... nvm.
The womens championsh...nope.
Light heavywei...nah.

lol I didn't even include the DIVERS title

Another note, I'm glad they finally wrapped up that Horns can't talk thing tonight. They spent 4 weeks on Smackdown trying to get him to talk last year.

Kyoufu

jobber said:
lol I didn't even include the DIVERS title

Another note, I'm glad they finally wrapped up that Horns can't talk thing tonight. They spent 4 weeks on Smackdown trying to get him to talk last year.

harrisonfordwhogivesashit.gif

Woke up and after thinking about it there were some good points but too many bad and overall 'meh' points for the biggest PPV of the year.

Having a MITB made no sense, all they had to do was not have the 8 man tag and have Kofi, Zeke and Barrett enter, take Morrison and Ziggler out of the mixed tag and add in Bryan, Sheamus and Bourne and you have a great match.

I would have much rather seen a 15 minute MITB than 15 minutes pre match on both Taker / HHH and Cole / Lawler.

Overall the show wasn't awful it just didn't feel grand or really important save for a few moments, The Rock involvement was just a bit unneeded really it's not like he even cost Cena the title as Cena had already lost his chance of winning the belt before then.

Highlights for me:

Miz video package
Snoooooki
Kofi's entrance
Del Rios tron video
Taker - HHH
Zack singing Friday
Bookers selling of the stunner

lmao wtf at that kid. I'll admit I like Cena's intro song (instrumental only). That was some corny ass stuff with the gospel though but I wasn't really taking it seriously. It was funny.

Discotheque said:
lmao wtf at that kid. I'll admit I like Cena's intro song (instrumental only). That was some corny ass stuff with the gospel though but I wasn't really taking it seriously. It was funny.

I really liked the DMX bit because it played up his "I do it for the kids" character perfectly. But I hated the choir part.

Similarly, I LOVED the "Hate Me Now" Miz video, but the blowup AWESOME felt too jokey after such a fantastic and serious build up package.

Kyoufu said:
Cody was the star of the show imo. He pulls off that gimmick so well.

Agreed. Cody is amazing in his new role, I love it. I think the Grotesque / other newlines thing behind him as he came out was new right? Great touch that I hope they keep around if so. HHH / Taker was fantastic, but there were parts in it that felt like it was too much down time. While Cody-Rey didn't have the huge main event match feel, it was my favorite match on the show.

jobber

Kyoufu said:
harrisonfordwhogivesashit.gif

about? Horns? If you had to sit through that shit, you'd want a payoff too!

the titles? With the lack of title changes and no MitB, this ppv did NOTHING for the future of the company.

It was like a 4 hour Backlash.

Knox

I feel kinda bad for Wade Barrett. For most of the year he was the biggest heel on Raw. He was single handedly keeping the Nexus angle from being complete shit, and for a while he was rumored to face Taker, but he ends up in a throwaway 8-man tag that he wasn't even really a part of. I guess you can make a case for a lot of guys, but I think Wade especially earned a "Wrestlemania moment" and didn't get it.

jobber said:

the titles? With the lack of title changes and no MitB, this ppv did NOTHING for the future of the company.

I did say the show had a feeling of a house show and apart from Taker - HHH and some random celeb spots and returning stars it could have been. No title changes, no huge spots or anything.

I think maybe my expectations were too high

Kyoufu

jobber said:

About Horns lol

It felt like a 4 hour RAW without ads tbh. John Cena matches at WM are usually a big deal, but this year it stank hard and it wasn't even his fault, nor the Miz's, just the way the whole thing was booked.

The whole Cena thing was telling though. Depressed at the press conference http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DeNhq6Q9oHE

and then his entrance. He looked like he was just coming out to job and then go home. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTZaMUetajc&feature=player_detailpage#t=230s

DXPett1

Hit and miss for me. CM Punk, Del Rio and Trips losing was average but at least Super Rey didn't win and Miz kept his title (with a little help from the host)

xTOOLx

Holy fuck, how many times does Raven get side tracked before he actually gets to his Wrestlemania story? I can't stand when people get all ADD when telling stories.

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
xTOOLx said:
Holy fuck, how many times does Raven get side tracked before he actually gets to his Wrestlemania story? I can't stand when people get all ADD when telling stories.
lol I watched the whole thing. He just keeps going and making lame jokes. Oddly entertaining.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
I actually enjoyed parts of the show but the more I think about it, nothing happened. Nobody was put over, no storylines were adequately wrapped up, no new ones were created. Maybe we will see something happen on Raw.

Also reading through, I guess I'm the only one who thought the HHH/Taker match was phenomenal. I was worried they would try to emulate the HBK matches but they chose to instead go with a very different match that had me really into it for the last half. I liked the constant kick outs and finisher fest, it felt brutal and intense. And I thought the ending was perfect, taker uses a last burst of energy to throw on the submission and hold on for dear life. HHH scrambling around for the sledgehammer, getting it, and then dropping it was great. I do think they should have had him just pass out though.

sajj316

siddx said:
I actually enjoyed parts of the show but the more I think about it, nothing happened. Nobody was put over, no storylines were adequately wrapped up, no new ones were created. Maybe we will see something happen on Raw.

Also reading through, I guess I'm the only one who thought the HHH/Taker match was phenomenal. I was worried they would try to emulate the HBK matches but they chose to instead go with a very different match that had me really into it for the last half. I liked the constant kick outs and finisher fest, it felt brutal and intense. And I thought the ending was perfect, taker uses a last burst of energy to throw on the submission and hold on for dear life. HHH scrambling around for the sledgehammer, getting it, and then dropping it was great. I do think they should have had him just pass out though.
Well, a couple things.

1. New Internet favorite in Cody Rhodes
2. Continuation of Del Rio and Edge. It's good to see fueds that span more than one PPV although I prefer to have it resolved at Wrestlemania.
3. Definite match between Cena and Rock. I for one can see Cena turning heel with Rock being the face.
4. Punk to do bigger and better things, hopefully but I think there is one more Punk/Orton match in the cards.

I do feel there could have been a bit more coming out of Wrestlemania but since the community is more 'in the know' of backstage happenings, it's hard to surprise fans these days.

This was the first PPV Ive watched in years, and havent followed the WWE with any type of regularity aside from the past 2-3 weeks. Im semi-familiar with everyone already and was a pretty regular WWE viewer back in the Rock/SCSA/Angle days.

That said, I thought Wrestlemania was overly bland personally. Again, when the most electricity comes from a backstage handshake between two retirees on your biggest PPV of the year..... thats bad.

My quick thoughts:
- Bryan Daniel....er, Daniel Bryan vs. Sheamus was the match I was looking forward to most. Only natural to make it a dark match that turns into a Battle Royale that Great Khali wins. Siiiggggghhhhhhh.
- Rocks Opening Segment: Rock is my favorite wrestler of all time, but this went on way too long and wasnt that great.
- A lot of the matches were just okay, seemed sloppy, with very slow pacing. HHH/Taker was the best.
- Corre/Kingston/Santion/Kane-Show what could have only been like 5 minutes tops, but we get Michael Cole cutting a 10 minute promo followed by what only felt like a 50 minute match. Again.... your top people are in their 40's, why waste time building new talent on your biggest stage?
- Snooki was the biggest surprise of the night with the flipping. That said, I went from not caring and wanting the match to not exist to..... not caring and wanting the match to not exist.
- The main event should have been "Color by numbers" easy, at least the way I feel. Send Miz out by himself, go all out against Cena, win. Rock comes out, faces Cena, scruffle, Rock Bottom, People's Elbow. Rock up the ramp, Cena looking at him, end scene. You set up Rock/Cena, end on a high note, and your World Champ finally looks credible. Of course, they went with the World Champ coming out first, getting pinned once or twice with the ref knocked out, retaining via double count out, then retaining via Rock interference, then getting destroyed by Rock. *sarcastic golf clap*

That said, I'll watch Raw tonight to see where its going, but after leaving the scene for a few years, seems like they still cant book to save their lives.

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
Kyoufu said:
Sorry but Super Edge is perfectly valid given how Edge is:

- Immune to finishers/slams. During his feud with Kane, he was only chokeslammed once out of 30 attempts. Show me where he doesn't get out of any kind of slam attempt. Must be in his contract or something lol

- Has held the title since last year. He is on a winning streak here.

Super Edge is what he will be called until he loses :p

...didnt he win the title in like...december/late november though...its not like he's been on a 10 month reign.

sajj316

Striker said:
They haven't given a shit about the midcard in years. It's why their main event scene has sucked for so long.
This.

Not happy with the lack of Daniel Bryan on the main show although I understand that Vlnce wants to be more of an entertainment company (was that a stupid April Fools internal memo??)

siddx

Oh yeah, was really dissapointed about the Bryan/Sheamus thing. I enjoy Sheamus's wrestling even if I think he is begging for a haircut and better facial hair. And I think Bryan is the most entertaining wrestler in WWE behind punk. I have to imagine they were both rather pissed off upon finding out they were bumped

As far as sheamus getting buried, Jericho's book made it pretty clear that one minute you can be in the shithouse, and then crazy ass schizophrenic Vince will suddenly want to make you eternal champion of forever the next, only to throw you back in the shithouse an hour later. Mick Foley's book only confirms my suspicions, Vince is crazier than a donkey on a ferris wheel and for every brilliant thing he does, he comes up with a thousand idiotic or insane ideas as well.

Ydahs

Watching the main event, Cena really didn't look to into it. He didn't have that same intensity as he usually has and looked almost dejected. I thought it was just me who saw this but others I've spoken too felt this too. Certainly wasn't the same Cena.

Anyone think there's a chance he disliked the outcome? I mean, both main eventers completely buried by someone who won't be there in a few months on the BIGGEST PPV of the year. Seems like something Cena won't personally endorse and rightfully so.

Also, ALL night I was waiting for Bryan. Didn't know it was a dark match :(

siddx

Ydahs said:
Watching the main event, Cena really didn't look to into it. He didn't have that same intensity as he usually has and looked almost dejected. I thought it was just me who saw this but others I've spoken too felt this too. Certainly wasn't the same Cena.

Anyone think there's a chance he disliked the outcome? I mean, both main eventers completely buried by someone who won't be there in a few months on the BIGGEST PPV of the year. Seems like something Cena won't personally endorse and rightfully so.

Also, ALL night I was waiting for Bryan. Didn't know it was a dark match :(

It wouldn't surprise me if he wasn't happy about both himself and the champion being made to look pathetic to please some dude who hasn't wrestled in 7 years and will leave the minute he feels he has drummed up enough viewers to make his next movie not bomb. I love hearing the rock talk and I have always been a fan, but having him be the last man standing as wrestlemania went off air was just wrong and I wouldn't be surprised if both cena and miz weren't happy about it. Still should have gone all out though regardless.

I still maintain that the best ending would have been for rock to come out and distract cena, miz gets the win, cena and rock fight and while both are distracted with each other miz lays them both out with the belt or a chair and wrestlemania closes with miz walking up the ramp and both cena and rock knocked out in the ring. You get a confrontation between cena and rock, and you get miz to look legitimate.

siddx said:
I still maintain that the best ending would have been for rock to come out and distract cena, miz gets the win, cena and rock fight and while both are distracted with each other miz lays them both out with the belt or a chair and wrestlemania closes with miz walking up the ramp and both cena and rock knocked out in the ring. You get a confrontation between cena and rock, and you get miz to look legitimate.

That would have been a great ending. In fact, I like it better than the one I posted. lol

I agree with the general sentiments of the show, in that it was pretty disappointing despite my already lowered expectations.

Edge Vs. Del Rio being on first had me flabbergasted, and the finish felt kind of anti-climactic--didn't help that it also gave away that Miz was definitely retaining.

Cody vs. Rey was pretty awesome. I love that Keyser called Rey's costume, but backpeddled twice after that, despite getting it right the first time :). Cody really proved himself here, and I hope to see him in the main event sooner rather than later. Also, for those saying it's stupid that Cody is acting like he's disfigured when he's obviously not, that's the point. He's deranged and paranoid, which I think will make a pretty damn interesting character going forward.

Ryder's rendition of Friday was amazing, as was the "Broski of the Week" sign. WWWYKI.

8-man tag match barely gave me enough time to get some nachos and dip before it was over. I was kind of thankful that it was over quickly, but it's pretty frustrating when you consider that Vince gave up both the IC and Tag Title matches for a 2-minute burial of a stable he's been building up for almost a year.

Punk/Orton was alright, even though it was a pretty slow match. Some good psychology involved, but I thought the ending seemed too choreographed. I mean, what move was Punk going for where he jumped head-first into Orton's RKO? The RKO on Bourne was awesome because it was near-seemless. This was just too forced, IMO.

HOF inductions were what they were. HBK is awesome, and Carey being booed is hilarious. Also, and this is a legitimate inquiry, can anyone tell me why they or anyone they know have such a reverie for Jim Duggan? Far as I can tell, he was terrible in the ring and on the mic, and his gimmick was garbage pandering that would put even Cena to shame. Seriously, how needy do you seem when you just constantly shout "USA! USA!" in order to get over? I will freely admit, it is entirely possible I'm missing something here.

Cole Vs. Lawler was just abysmal. It started off alright with Cole getting good heat, but it just fell apart. It dragged on for what seemed like forever, everything was really sloppy, the pacing was non-existant, and the pay-off was a couple of moves and an ankle lock on Cole. Pathetic.

On the bright side: JR and King! Get hype!

Triple H Vs. Taker was okay in terms of content, but great in terms of psychology, so it kinda falls in between for me. I mean, the pacing was terrible and it was just them trading finishers for the majority of the match, but they worked the crowd well. Like others, I feel it would have been better if Trips passed out instead of tapped, but I think some here would shout "BS!" for "copying" Bret Hart Vs. Austin at WM 13. As-is, the ending kinda fell a bit flat after what was essentially a spot-fest until that point.

Mixed tag was what it was, but yes, my friend and I were pretty much marking for Snooki by the end, which I wouldn't have imagined in a millions years.

Miz's hype video was outstanding, but like has been said, the inflatable "Awesome" letters were kinda goofy after such an amazing pre-amble. I think even Miz may have not been happy with them, as he shoved them aside pretty hastily and didn't look super-happy about it--though this may just be because he's a heel etc. etc..

The ending was a little too predictable and made Miz seem weak--again!--but at this point, I'll take any Cena defeat I can get.

siddx said:

Give this man a job in WWE creative ASAP!

Discotheque said:
Cody was hilarious, best part of the show. He was like the phantom of the opera or something.
Professor Beef said:
I think he could really pull off a Dr. Doom-type role.
Uh, guys, he fought Captain America underneath a giant Cosmic Cube, obviously he is the Red Skull. Or Translucent Skull, I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom