• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

April Wrasslin' |OT2| The Coronation of The King of Swing

The card for Kobashi's first Fortune Dream show;

FORTUNE DREAM 1, 2014.06.08
Korakuen Hall, Tokyo

1. Tamon Honda vs Naoya Nomura
2. Meiko Satomura vs Hiroyo Matsumoto
3. Kengo Mashimo & Tank Nagai vs Shuji Ishikawa & Koji Doi
4. Ultimo Dragon, Yoshinobu Kanemaru & AKIRA vs Yuko Miyamoto, Isami Kodaka & Kazuki Hashimoto
5. Battle Talk: Riki Choshu vs Kenta Kobashi
6. Akitoshi Saito & Kotaro Suzuki vs Masato Tanaka & Fujita 'Jr' Hayato
7. Kohei Sato & Yuji Hino vs Daisuke Sekimoto & Kento Miyahara

Nothing terribly exciting. Match 4 should be fun and I like the look of matches 6 & 7. Both should be fairly hard hitting.

Also, quoting for the new page;

Excellent, the first of the New Japan Taiwan shows has surfaced - here's Ishii's first defence;

Tomohiro Ishii (c) vs KUSHIDA - NEVER Openweight Championship - (NJPW 04/12/14)

Worth a watch. KUSHIDA shows a lot of fire standing up to Ishii and, although they aren't terribly familiar with either at the beginning, the crowd get well behind KUSHIDA going into the finishing stretch.

BHZ Mayor

When I crap on WWE's mistakes (which is often), ruining Sandow is one of the biggest peeves. Nowhere do I or truthfully believe he should be a heel main eventer. The midcard is a complete joke and how they have used Sandow since winning the WHC MitB match dictates precisely why the card is a joke. Why people in it often don't have stories, personal rivalries, and often with bad or no character whatsoever. Hell, some just get saddled in random tag teams. The character of Damien Sandow was one great example of somebody in the company of having an actual personality, some neat qualities that were different than others - but they've stripped it away, for nothing.

This is what bothers me the most about today's midcard. Nothing but just matches that are just there for the sake of having a card. The only "stories" they do have are break ups at the expense of what little tag-team division is left.

Sblargh

Banned
Characters tend to melt away to their bare bones.

Sheamus could be an irish brawler who loves violence just for the sake of it, and then seeking matches in which he thinks he will get this kind of brawl and then molding the psychology on the ring into it. Instead, he is just... you know... Sheamus. Why does he wants the prestigious IC title and what does this have to with being in a brawl at a bar and whatnot? Make the title mean something. "I want the title because I want to see who is the asshole that will try to take it away from me". Anything other than "I want the title because wanting the title is the thing I want".

The leaked script had a box for "does the character have motivation?" and I think they barely remember it and nobody seem to care either. Why is Kofi Kingston even showing up for work, he is not even in any title race, he doesn't even have that. It's great that Barrett is back, but what is his goal now? Is he back for any reason at all or just to be shuffled into the midcard again hoping god knows what. And maybe feuding with someone later for no reason other than it might result in good matches.

They luckied it out with Bryan actually developing his own meta-storyline about the indie guy climbing step by step and wanting to prove all those years of sacrifice were worth a damn; but not everyone can travel the world for more than a decade just to have a good road to wrestlemania moment.

Did you know:
Sheamus is irish for James

IW8simF.jpg

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Barrett's goal is winning titles to get more money. Remember him mentioning that a few times.

A fair motivation, I hope he makes it clear - or rather, is given the opportunity to make it more clear.

What's this Lineal Championship stuff that John Pollock keeps bringing up on Review-A-Raw when it comes to Barrett and the IC title?

I've never heard that term before.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
What's this Lineal Championship stuff that John Pollock keeps bringing up on Review-A-Raw when it comes to Barrett and the IC title?

I've never heard that term before.

Basically people went back and traced who would have the championship if DQs and Countouts WERE for the title.

Rapstah

Basically people went back and traced who would have the championship if DQs and Countouts WERE for the title.

No, it's if every singles match was for the title (with normal rules, no belts changing owners on DQs or countouts) and if there was a one-year timer where if the belt wasn't defended within that year then it would revert to the actual WWF/WWE champion.

It's kind of arbitrary because a lot of people end up having long winning streaks in singles matches without actually being the champion at all. Edge was undefeated for a long while in singles matches before he retired so he had the belt for a year there.

Edit: Also, it obviously doesn't count Elimination Chamber matches or triple or four-way matches, and there were a fair amount of title changes in those matches a couple of years ago.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
It counts every non title match going back to Bruno as a championship match.

Shit, is that it? Non-Titles too, I forgot. Sheeit. I must have had my wires crossed, someone did the DQ/countout one somewhere else.

No, it's if every singles match was for the title (with normal rules, no belts changing owners on DQs or countouts) and if there was a one-year timer where if the belt wasn't defended within that year then it would revert to the actual WWF/WWE champion.

It's kind of arbitrary because a lot of people end up having long winning streaks in singles matches without actually being the champion at all. Edge was undefeated for a long while in singles matches before he retired so he had the belt for a year there.

Ah, so BNB would technically have the IC title right now according to the lineal championship rules?

He's totally going to go over RVD and Big E, right, guys? I mean, they clearly decided not to go with Cesaro, so BNB's gotta be the guy.

Rapstah

At some point it actually ended up in Orton's hands and then Kingston beat Orton on that random Raw two weeks before the Rumble, and then they had Barrett beat Kingston on a house show. Barrett was then basically inactive until the IC tournament and beating Rey Mysterio on the post-WM Raw.
Ah, so BNB would technically have the IC title right now according to the lineal championship rules?

He's totally going to go over RVD and Big E, right, guys? I mean, they clearly decided not to go with Cesaro, so BNB's gotta be the guy.
That's way harder to tell. Curtis Axel and Big E have lost a lot and that is assuming they had the lineal IC championship in the first place.

Sephzilla

Because people wanted him to beat Cena (like they want every Internet flavor of the week too) with his silly gimmick. Sandow's fine where he is, a lower midcard guy who can occasionally sniff around for the modern day TV title - the IC/US belt depending on who holds it. There are about 20 guys either in developmental or on the roster better on him younger than him so there's no reason he ever needs to be in the main event.

Jesus, did we just discover HHH's kayfabe GAF account?

Sandow had a respectable move set, an actual character, pretty good mic skills, and had a look that screamed natural heel. Would he have been a main event heel? Eh, maybe. But I think he definitely had all of the right tools to at least be a respectable upper-mid card talent a la a Mr Perfect type character. Why WWE demoted him so badly is beyond me. It's sad how much of a joke their mid card is especially when there's a lot of good talent in that mid card. I hope he can recover from his Cena burial in time like Barrett did.

You know who else has a respectable move set, a good character, good mic skills, and a true 'heel' look? Bray Wyatt. Who's Bray Wyatt feuding against?

johncena_bio_20140120.png

Hustle, Loyalty, Burial. I look forward to Bray Wyatt's feud with Fandango in 6 months.

Sblargh

Banned

Edit: Also, it obviously doesn't count Elimination Chamber matches or triple or four-way matches, and there were a fair amount of title changes in those matches a couple of years ago.

Meh, it's more of a passtime, obviously things would be booked differently. Kofi would never even have stepped in the ring with Orton if the belt was on the line; which is how this topic came to suddenly be relevant, because it's not always that the linear champion is so far away from the actual champion. (not so much anymore I guess, but this topic appeared when Barett was the linear champion without ever wrestling on TV)

Edit: Beaten by yourself. Damn you!

mouserat

Neo Member
Shit, is that it? Non-Titles too, I forgot. Sheeit. I must have had my wires crossed, someone did the DQ/countout one somewhere else.

the way you said it was how Alvarez and Meltzer explained it and so that's how a lot of people (myself included) understood it, but it wouldn't the first time they misreported the facts so I'm going with what slightconfuse said

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
You know what's amazing? Ted Dibiase was pretty much THE heel for years in WWF and he never won the main title much less the IC title.

I'm not sure if I'm pissed he didn't get it or if I'm amazed at how good the booking was that he could stay as a main eventer without relying on a title run. And also, as much as people shit on WWE's midcard and praise the Golden Era, you have to remember. The midcard in WWF was so good because the main event was SO bad. It was 'Hogan and whoever Hogan's feuding with this week.' At least now you've got John Cena and whoever John Cena's feuding with and Daniel Bryan and whoever Daniel Bryan's feuding with

Aiii

So not worth it
DiBiase had the Million Dollar Belt, who needs a silly fake World Title when you have A MILLION DOLLAR BELT!

Come on now, lets be real.

Carnby

I watched the first half of the Ultimate Warrior Round Table, and... it's not bad. It helps that they had Sarge and Money Man there. It definitely felt like a mix of shoot and kayfabe. But it worked. Sarge and Ted still used terms like "blow up" which made the show still feel geared toward smarks.

He bought the WWF title from Andre!

That's actually a pretty good angle. I wouldn't mind seeing something like that again.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
The linear championship sounds stupid as hell, sorry guys.

It's just a curiosity, really. Just a weird bit of trivia and it's fun to follow because YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT CAN HAPPEN IN THE WWE MAGGLE

Sephzilla

Josh Mathews is a huge upgrade over Cole with Legends of Wrestlemania. That said, he still doesn't seem like he's interacting too much with the other panelists and more or less just starts reading a scripted segue into the next bit.

They really need to watch the Legends of Wrestling bits and pull from those more.

Even Piper had the IC title though. Closest thing Ted had was KOTR, but KOTR added nothing to Dibiase, honestly.

It really is amazing how Ted stayed relevant despite his lack of (real) titles, though.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Wade is a piss poor Bad News Brown.

He's not intimidating, and he doesn't even leave the ring for countouts constantly.

Rapstah

Cursory research suggests both of the minor lineal male belts would be united with the main belt at this point. Daniel Bryan beat Dean Ambrose in his first non-DQ loss since getting the US belt and Randy Orton beat Christian who beat Wade Barrett in his first loss after the IC title triple threat where Curtis Axel won the IC title (but not the lineal IC title as it was a triple threat match).

jred2k

He went over Sheamus completely clean so I don't think there is any way he doesn't win the belt. A win over Sheamus means way more than the IC title in the current WWE. He has a higher win percent than Cena and the only other times I can really remember him losing cleanly on TV has been against the Shield.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Having an issue giffing Legends House. So much of it is fast cuts of little things I feel like giffing everything even though I shouldn't with some of that stuff.

Hrmmmmmmmmmmgh.

Carnby

Even Piper had the IC title though. Closest thing Ted had was KOTR, but KOTR added nothing to Dibiase, honestly.

Money Man and Piper are guys that don't need the title to be over are legends. It may sound like a cop out, but it's true.

Taker went years without a title, and even if he never got his second title run at WM13, he'd still be the legend he is today. *not counting his WHC runs. Those are meaningless for everyone.

Bray Wyatt could have the same thing happen to him. If he spends the next ten years in WWE, and doesn't get a title, he will still go down as a legend, or at least a really important part of WWE.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Dibiase definitely got rubs though. He was the first Royal Rumble ironman. He was the first guy to work two matches in one tournament night. He was your Chris Benoits and CM Punks before your Chris Benoits and CM Punks.

Except he had a WAY better gimmick.

Sephzilla

Dibiase definitely got rubs though. He was the first Royal Rumble ironman. He was the first guy to work two matches in one tournament night. He was your Chris Benoits and CM Punks before your Chris Benoits and CM Punks.

Except he had a WAY better gimmick.

The Million Dollar Man gimmick is still god-tier. If he wasn't a behind the scenes guy now I wish he'd be someone's manager.

Him kicking the ball away from that kid was amazing.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I also think Virgil didn't help Dibiase for anything. Like he didn't help the character. It gave Virgil a rub that he honestly didn't deserve. Ugly, useless mother fucker.

Thank god IRS shows up.
He gave the Rub to that Ringmaster guy!!

Was the only thing that saved that gimmick was Ted being with him. Again, everyone turns out better after associating with the million dollar man.

I really do wish Andre was in better shape when he was with Ted. I would have marked so hard for the whole Andre was doing it for Ted to pay for his dear mother's medical bills or something angle which would lead to Andre vs Ted with Ted ducking Andre every week.

Top Bottom