• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

April Wrasslin' |OT2| The Coronation of The King of Swing

Sephzilla

They're spectators watching a show, Sephzilla. In this case the retirement of a living legend. Motherfuckers this isn't about you.

For stuff like the Hall of Fame, yeah, they need to shut the fuck up. For stuff like your average Raw? They're totally part of the show.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
I blame ROH for starting the chant the name of the promotion thing.

ECW, RAW (the Japanese company), AAA at times, Stampede had it a few times, GLOW near the end, and the German CWA did it as well. Even WWE and WCW got it a few times in the late 90s.

While Invasion was terrible overall for a story arc, I really did love WWF New York crowd chanting WCW and Cole and Tazz stumbling over their lines for a second.

here's a hypothetical for you guys: you're granted full creative control over John Cena in WWE. what do you do with the guy?

I would put him in the Undertaker role circa the Teddy Long "you are going one on one... with the UNDERTAKER!" days of just showing up to teach a certain heel a lesson, or create a special attraction while the Champions or other big name is gone (as they did on the most recent Raw for example with Bryan not able to wrestle), and the dark matches to let people go home happy.

If a story line is needed, well then I would find a Bobby the Brain Heenan like manager for Cena to feud against. Just constantly rotating out individuals or tag teams out every month to three months for him to feud against as the villainous manager tries to "end Cena-mania". Sylvester Lefort, AJ Lee, William Regal, or Uncle Zebekiah Bass Mantell Colter could fit that role and survive those terrible "comedy" segments Cena would do against them.
Good way to bring up NXT or Performance workers as a quick test on the main stage or try outs for the company for a night, let's Cena still be active and keep the kids happy, while letting others already established or newly arrived with a gimmick and plan (like the Wyatts or Shield or Xavier Woods did) do what they need to do.

What heel action generated the most intense amount of heat you've ever seen?

I think this is a big reason why we don't have more great heels. There are too many restrictions and bad guys aren't allowed to do too many things that could get them some legit heat.

Watching some of the classic stuff on the Network, Roddy Pipper straight up calls Bruno Sammartino a
wop
to his face in the middle of the Garden. You'd never see anything like that from a heel these days.

Going off both of these posts, but Punk's Straight Edge Society house shows and dark matches where he offended people by proclaiming himself to be and acting as "Jesus". If they had fully allowed that on television, let him act as a cult leader consonantly converting new members (which they did at house shows and the like) from the audience, and allowed Punk to say even more "sacrilegious" things I bet it easily could have gotten to Sgt. Slaughter as an Iran sympathiser level heat and pay off.

Would have been disastrous for all the marketing, licensing, and advertising they had that year since most every company would leave them though.

Bl3pxzvIMAAuaCY.jpg

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
People who can't write proper Russian also can't control their sneezes. You should be ashamed of yourself for both.

I hate it. I hate that I can't control my sneezing. I should be better than that. I should be better than that. I'm not even listening to you. :mad:

njean777

Did they ever get rid of money in the bank? I just watched the first extreme rules main event between edge and jeff hardy and cm punk cashes in and wins. I really feel that shit is just cheap. Please tell me they got rid of that. A better story would be the climb to the top, not cashing in right after a match in order to move a guy to the top.

They need to step up their game to some Game of Thrones quality storytelling.

I wish they treated us like we are older than 5 years old. I wish there was complex day to day life shit they got across to us.

Real life writes so many of its own stories, they really should try and go a little deeper.

In my 25 years of watching wrestling, as far as story lines are concerned I think this is its lowest point. Id almost take Dungeon of Doom type shit over the boring rehash of shit we get today.(not really)

Rapstah

Did they ever get rid of money in the bank? I just watched the first extreme rules main event between edge and jeff hardy and cm punk cashes in and wins. I really feel that shit is just cheap. Please tell me they got rid of that. A better story would be the climb to the top, not cashing in right after a match in order to move a guy to the top.
The guy never moves to the top. It's a short reign for heel heat because the guy doesn't deserve the belt or it's someone who's already a main eventer.

Money in the Bank is a pretty solid way to push a somewhat lower tier star up to main event status. It has worked well over the last few years, and the PPV itself is usually so lid too, Why you hate it?

njean777

The guy never moves to the top. It's a short reign for heel heat because the guy doesn't deserve the belt or it's someone who's already a main eventer.

Well technically they do since they get the belt. I always thought holding the wwe championship meant you are the top? I still feel that shit is just a cheap surprise to sway a storyline.

Spider from Mars

tap that thorax
Spider and G-Fex should do it when they go official.

I wish Fex was my boyfriend
I'd love him till the very end
But instead he is just a friend
I wish he was my boyfriend

There's nothing worse than sitting all alone at home
And waiting waiting waiting waiting waiting by WrassleGaf
I hope that he's at home waiting on GAF mobile
I wonder if he knows that I want him

One day I'll make him mine
And we'll be together all the time
We'll sit and watch TNA, eat pie
And gaze into each other's eyes
I know that he knows
Know that he knows
I know that he wants to be my boyfriend
Boyfriend
Boyfriend

+
=

njean777

Money in the Bank is a pretty solid way to push a somewhat lower tier star up to main event status. It has worked well over the last few years, and the PPV itself is usually so lid too, Why you hate it?

Cuz it just is cheap. No effort is given aside from winning the money in the bank match. From what I have seen it is a heel that runs in and steals the belt from the face that worked his ass of to get there. I may be wrong and please correct me if I am, I am coming from a 12 year hiatus.

There's nothing worse than sitting all alone at home
And waiting waiting waiting waiting waiting by WrassleGaf
I hope that he's at home waiting on GAF mobile
I wonder if he knows that I want him

One day I'll make him mine
And we'll be together all the time
We'll sit and watch TNA, eat pie
And gaze into each other's eyes
I know that he knows
Know that he knows
I know that he wants to be my boyfriend
Boyfriend
Boyfriend

+
=

Dude you are one of the best.

Cuz it just feels cheap, at least from what I have seen it is a heel that runs in and steals the belt from the face that worked his ass of to get there. I may be wrong and please correct me if I am, I am coming from a 12 year hiatus.

It is a pretty solid way to get a heel over, and there is nothing wrong with that. But faces can work too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRpdVFXRshQ

RVD cashed in on Cena years back, and it lead to a great main event of a good PPV. Bryan's cash in was used to get him over as a heel - which started the whole "Yes" thing all those years ago.

There was a few missteps (I barley remember Kane cashing in), but it feels like a good tool to get talent over. Cesaro (+Heyman) could be GREAT with it this year.

Vylash

Cuz it just is cheap. No effort is given aside from winning the money in the bank match. From what I have seen it is a heel that runs in and steals the belt from the face that worked his ass of to get there. I may be wrong and please correct me if I am, I am coming from a 12 year hiatus.

Not always the case, not only is it a great way to get the title off of someone without making him look weak, but it's also a great way to turn someone

What heel action generated the most intense amount of heat you've ever seen?

Dudleys at any ECW event.

I saw them live when I was in 9th grade in NY and the shit they would say was awesome. They were so damn bad that I actually wanted them to win. LMFAO at Bubba Ray Dudley telling one dudes girlfriend that she was ugly and she would end up leaving with him. Saying that takes some balls

BHZ Mayor

It is a pretty solid way to get a heel over, and there is nothing wrong with that. But faces can work too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRpdVFXRshQ

RVD cashed in on Cena years back, and it lead to a great main event of a good PPV. Bryan's cash in was used to get him over as a heel - which started the whole "Yes" thing all those years ago.

There was a few missteps (I barley remember Kane cashing in), but it feels like a good tool to get talent over. Cesaro (+Heyman) could be GREAT with it this year.

I'm still failing to see how that's not cheap and predictable. It's like "hey that's match you just watched? null and void because I'm gonna pin the tired and beaten opponent now."

strobogo

Banned
Dudleys at any ECW event.

I saw them live when I was in 9th grade in NY and the shit they would say was awesome. They were so damn bad that I actually wanted them to win. LMFAO at Bubba Ray Dudley telling one dudes girlfriend that she was ugly and she would end up leaving with him. Saying that takes some balls

I'm sure a woman at an ECW show probably was ugly, and the dude was probably ugly, so Bully Ray was just speaking truth.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
They need to step up their game to some Game of Thrones quality storytelling.
The main issue is that the majority of the shit booked is on a week to week basis, they don't actually care to do much long term booking outside of a few stories.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
For someone who didn't want to mess up little kids, he sure didn't mind swearing, insulting, or spewing bigotry in front of children.

somedevil

Holy fuck, who the hell shit on Punk's Cheerios as a kid?!

Whether he's a good heel or not, something's up with that guy sometimes. I guess he's just that damn good because wow.

These ladies are NOT HAVING IT hahaha

His relationship with his real parents and brother probably made him who he is today. Also Bill Apter interviewed Devon for the WWE. His sons are training now to be wrestlers in his school.

http://www.wwe.com/classics/ecw/wwecom-gets-extreme-with-d-von-dudley-26255010

#AllRedWedding

LANA

I wonder if it's not random, if the midcard has a spreadsheet that they follow. Ziggler vs Sandow, Ziggler vs Del Rio, Ziggler vs Curtis Axel, cycle repeats. And this goes on for every wrestler. They probably know who Kofi is going up against on RAW 6 weeks from now because they have no other plans for any of these guys except their once a year random push, which doesn't really exist anymore because Ambrose holds the random push belt.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I like the way another wrestler put it back in like 2007. Punk wasn't exaclty mr wonderful(he is so wonderful) in high school, and you give that kind of person any form of adoration or power, that's how they tend to act.

Punk doesn't become the star that he is without being a crabby/stubborn asshole

For example, I would never wrestle in a strip club, much less scream YOU ARE A WHORE at someone, cause I'm, you know, normal :p

Sephzilla

I dunno, when you're wrestling in front of a crowd of 10 people I'm not sure the thing you should do is go and insult everyone in the crowd at kind of a personal level.

strobogo

Banned
I like how off the rails the legends introductions gets at Slamboree 1994. Guys missing cues, walking off early, forcing them to try to quickly change graphics, and Gene to speed up or be confused.

I like how off the rails the legends introductions gets at Slamboree 1994. Guys missing cues, walking off early, forcing them to try to quickly change graphics, and Gene to speed up or be confused.

It's like the indies! *has Vietnam flashback, bursts into tears*

Striker

Edge, Kane, Cena, Orton, ADR, RVD and Bryan could've gotten WWE/WHC reigns without it. They used it for Edge as a heel way to get over on Cena who was going over everybody.

So really outside those, has it really helped their careers? Too many no's than yes's. CM Punk won many but his career didn't take off because of it. Same for Swagger, Miz or Ziggler. I suppose you can argue their booking after did them absolutely no favors, but that's why they were in the previous position anyways. It's just a rush job to get somebody new in the scene but we know it won't last.

I'd prefer it as a WM match and they do KotR in the summer.

Top Bottom