• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

April Wrasslin' |OT2| The Coronation of The King of Swing

Serpentine said:
ahaha, I knew he said Bryan was technically good but wouldn't make it in the WWE, but i did NOT know he said that TNA had better guys than him. that's pretty funny

To be fair to Disco, he did say Bryan wouldn't get over in WWE without a gimmick or by doing his faux MMA stuff.

However, he also directly followed the paragraph where he reckoned AJ & Christian vs Shelley & Sabin would have been better than any ROH match ever by going on a rant about the lack of selling in indie wrestling, so....I'm not really sure what his point was, lol.

Austin-swing.gif

I'm ready for the 1996 RAWs since I didn't make the switch from WCW to WWF until early 98. I want to see the metamorphosis from New Generation to Attitude era. Hopefully those episodes will be up by the end of summer.

alstein

ahaha, I knew he said Bryan was technically good but wouldn't make it in the WWE, but i did NOT know he said that TNA had better guys than him. that's pretty funny

At the time, I would have taken those guys over Bryan. Not today obviously. Bryan did get a lot better once he had a couple years in WWE and learned how to be a better mic guy and refined his character.

And those four guys disco mentioned- three of them are very good, and Sabin's decent.

I still find it funny Disco got busted once for an illegal gambling ring- that's living the gimmick (even if it was his 2000 mob flunky gimmick)

and WWEN is showing the three stooges skit now- that was true recent Wrestlecrap.

At the time, I would have taken those guys over Bryan.

I don't think I would have, I was already well convinced that he could be a big star if given the opportunity - you're right in saying that his promo and character work wasn't as refined, but by that point he'd added a lot to his personality and shown that he was one of the most charismatic guys on the indies, for whatever that's worth. Also, that was about the time he cut this promo; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcVL3DJ6GVs - there's a lot of notes of what made him a success in WWE there, his intensity and sincerity, for one, but ultimately it was his in-ring work that placed him ahead of the pack. It's very hard to argue against 2008-era Bryan Danielson being considered as one of the best wrestlers in the world at that time.

Ithil

Just read the impressions off someone that was there. He said Mojo got boo'd after his wins and the crowd cheered like crazy when he got eliminated from the battle royale.

If true, it's no doubt because he has had the exact same match every time for about 5 months, with absolutely zero progression. It's not a good match to begin with.

Despite that he was kind of over from his Ultimate Warrior time gimmick, but a smark heavy crowd are gonna get bored of the same squash match over and over.

Marvel

could never
I honestly would have liked Mojo if he had a completely different move set. I said it before his catch phrase is great and I like his enthusiasm.

Ithil

that video make me sad. it shows how terrible the roster is when all 3 "updated" moves are on DB

Hang on, now we're claiming the WWE roster is bad again? They have probably the best roster in the world, talent wise, between RAW and NXT.

Rapstah

If true, it's no doubt because he has had the exact same match every time for about 5 months, with absolutely zero progression. It's not a good match to begin with.

Despite that he was kind of over from his Ultimate Warrior time gimmick, but a smark heavy crowd are gonna get bored of the same squash match over and over.

I'd like to think it's because he became stale to the audience and not because they read on the internet that WWE is high on him. I mean, if the latter was the case then why wouldn't they have turned on him months ago?

Maybe a heel run can be good for the guy but I doubt he can do any match except the one he's been doing for months now.

Sblargh

Banned
I'd like to think it's because he became stale to the audience and not because they read on the internet that WWE is high on him. I mean, if the latter was the case then why wouldn't they have turned on him months ago?

Maybe a heel run can be good for the guy but I doubt he can do any match except the one he's been doing for months now.

His heel turn may be him not being bipolar, but staying bipolar, and randomly having either squash matches or long, slow, technical ones.

Ithil

No, it would be because he's gotten boring to watch, quickly. Intitially you give him a pass because he's green, but then he's on TV constantly doing the same match and you wonder why he's on TV at all if he's this green.
I don't think a heel run would do much for him, it's a face gimmick and he's pretty good at working it, he's just nothing in the ring. He needs to get better, plain and simple.

Doesn't help that Charlotte has been wrestling the same amount of time as him but has shown vast improvement already since she first got on TV.

Sblargh

Banned
I'm gonna watch me some wrasslemania 4 while the pills take over. I started watching it yesterday and the battle royal thingie with Bret, BNB and JYD in the end was really cool. It's been a good wrasslemania so far.

Ithil

It really doesn't help that the very basic match Mojo does is crappy as well, his whole moveset is really bad. Say what you will about Roman Reigns being limited to his 5MOD, at least his 5MOD looks good, from the apron dropkick to the spear to the superman punch.

Mojo's comeback consists of two impact-free corner splashes, a jumping ass to the face, then a sit down splash. Pretty god damn weak.
I don't think anyone in WWE should be doing corner splashes as long as Bray Wyatt is doing his one. His looks like he absolutely kills his opponent, Mojo's looks like he's having the impact of a light high five.

strobogo

Banned
Mojo has only been wrestling for a year. He's definitely not TV ready yet. Not even developmental TV ready. I find it strange they have him on TV at all right now. Even stranger that they have him on TV with a strong push.

Aiii

So not worth it
Mojo has only been wrestling for a year. He's definitely not TV ready yet. Not even developmental TV ready. I find it strange they have him on TV at all right now. Even stranger that they have him on TV with a strong push.

I don't think there's such a thing as "not developmental TV ready" to be honest. Practice is the best training, so have these guys on there and fail, that's fine, that's how you learn how to connect with a crowd. Not really something you can learn from any trainer, if you have this developmental place and people don't come in through the indies, then you need to have something like NXT to teach them how to work crowds and what not.

That's why I feel I can be very forgiving when a guy has a gimmick that just doesn't work and gets repackaged. I hated Leo Kruger in both of his previous gimmicks and now he's Adam Rose and that's just lovely, good on him.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member

XenoRaven

I feel a little bad for Mojo. I mean he's technically still in developmental, where he is supposed to learn how to be good. But I don't know how much patience the NXT crowd has, especially considering how hard and how fast they pushed him.

He probably would have been better off being a faceless jobber for awhile but maybe they thought he was so big and athletic that no one would have bought him as a faceless jobber.

It really doesn't help that the very basic match Mojo does is crappy as well, his whole moveset is really bad. Say what you will about Roman Reigns being limited to his 5MOD, at least his 5MOD looks good, from the apron dropkick to the spear to the superman punch.

Mojo's comeback consists of two impact-free corner splashes, a jumping ass to the face, then a sit down splash. Pretty god damn weak.
I don't think anyone in WWE should be doing corner splashes as long as Bray Wyatt is doing his one. His looks like he absolutely kills his opponent, Mojo's looks like he's having the impact of a light high five.

I appreciated your Roman Reigns joke in the Aquaman thread!

jred2k

I don't think there's such a thing as "not developmental TV ready" to be honest. Practice is the best training, so have these guys on there and fail, that's fine, that's how you learn how to connect with a crowd. Not really something you can learn from any trainer, if you have this developmental place and people don't come in through the indies, then you need to have something like NXT to teach them how to work crowds and what not.

That's why I feel I can be very forgiving when a guy has a gimmick that just doesn't work and gets repackaged. I hated Leo Kruger in both of his previous gimmicks and now he's Adam Rose and that's just lovely, good on him.

NXT television should be for the people who are good in the ring and just need to work on the finer points such as pacing for television, getting used to camera placements, etc. The NXT house shows can be used to introduce the inexperienced wrestlers to live crowds.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Last day America for me for a while.

So how should I pig out, WrassleGAF? Popeyes? Chinese? Pizza? HUMANS?!

You actually shouldn't. You don't want to have to shit on an international flight. Keep it light, make it right.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
GGG is 47 years old, has a decent six pack, and is about to compete for the WWE world title.

The true Iron Man and backbone of the WWE.

Rapstah

Why does Rob Van Dam sell every single frog splash he hits as if someone just shot him in the stomach? He's been doing this for like 30 years now.

strobogo

Banned
You actually shouldn't. You don't want to have to shit on an international flight. Keep it light, make it right.

Don't listen to him Bronson. Shitting on an international flight is DELIGHTFUL. I've done it. Twice. It is a magical feeling and opportunity you might never get again.

Why does Rob Van Dam sell every single frog splash he hits as if someone just shot him in the stomach? He's been doing this for like 30 years now.

Basically because he puts everything into the splash, so it hurts him a lot, but it hurts his opponent a lot more

Also FLOPPY FISH SELL

Don't listen to him Bronson. Shitting on an international flight is DELIGHTFUL. I've done it. Twice. It is a magical feeling and opportunity you might never get again.

futuramafry.jpg

Top Bottom