• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

April Wrasslin' |OT2| The Coronation of The King of Swing

I subscribed to the WWE Network yesterday (haven't watched in 15 years or so). Watched the build up to Wrestlemania 30 and watched that, and totally loved it!

Now, I don't have cable tv. How can I get my weekly wrestling fix since RAW and Smackdown aren't on the WWE Network.

NXT airs on Thursdays at 9 PM eastern. They also run Main Event live on Tuesdays. It's been pretty good since going live on the network.

New page.
jD8o2GGmv1UjL_e.jpg

And for all the comparisons to Punk, I think Graves' best comp style-wise by far is Orton. Same slow pace and methodical style. Carries himself the same way and has similar mannerisms.
I can see this. Orton also used to barely have a move set and punched and clotheslined a lot.

Whoever said Graves is like a diva search winner is spot on. He's got such a good look and the entrance and mannerisms are all there, but that's where the spell ends. It's like watching Taker at this WM where his entrance was cool as hell, but then the match exposed him.

Mr. Sam

I think Graves could afford to just stand entirely still for the entirety of his matches, that's how good his look is. Additionally, his punches are actually pretty good - remind me of Razor (who had the best looking punches in the business).

I'm also entirely on board with The Ascension, and have been since day one.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I figured it out. Daniel Bryan is the modern day Jim Duggan.

Spouts a simple catchphrase that, for whatever reason, is really over.
Looks like a disgusting homeless person who hasn't bathed in years.
Looks mentally slow when spouting simple catchphrase.

Now just give him a USA gimmick, and it's finalized.

Hasney

Man, if Duggan could wrestle like Bryan, he'd have been much more than he was.

Goddamn, that was a hell of a lot better than any match with Nakanishi & Tenzan has any right to be in 2014. Crowd loved seeing Komatsu stand up to the veterans, even if he did take a hell of a beating.

Komatsu1.gif

Rapstah

I find Corey Graves boring for the main event feud of NXT, relative to how entertained I have been by the biggest feuds before this one. Because it is the main event feud, right? Neville/Clay seems like something quick to put Neville over strong.

Jamie OD

I find Corey Graves boring for the main event feud of NXT, relative to how entertained I have been by the biggest feuds before this one. Because it is the main event feud, right? Neville/Clay seems like something quick to put Neville over strong.

I hope it is. I don't think Neville and Clay did anything together after that match during the tapings.

Fuck yes, looks like we'll be getting Ishii (c) vs Honma for the NEVER belt soon. Also, Naito's getting his groove back, the Korakuen crowd seem firmly behind him now.

mouserat

Neo Member
There's a story once that someone told Vince he couldn't do a spot because it was against the rules and Vince demanded him to write a rulebook.

isn't there an actual, bonafide rulebook from when the territories were regulated? I remember Bryan Alvarez saying that it's in the rulebook that during a tag team match each team is allowed to enter the ring and break up a pin twice, but anything more is a DQ.

Rapstah

I'm pretty sure they don't tell the audience about the maximum number of break-ups because they want to be able to book two break-up spots in the same match. There was a Shield six-man a couple of months ago where they did at least three break-up spots. I think they were disqualified for the fourth?

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Can't believe how physically messed up Dynamite Kid was already in 1988. I mean when Davey Boy's carrying the match, there's a problem.

Showaddy

As long as Mojo is on the roster, everyone else is gold in my book.

Mojo's got the excuse of being green as gooseshit, he shouldn't be on TV but at least he's got an excuse.

The Ascension are both 12 year veterans though and can barely work a match or use a mic, they're just talentless hacks simple as.

Marvel

could never
That shit is great and I thank the NXT audience for finding some way to entertain me while the Ascension have a match. The way Konnor goes with it is pretty good too.

Only thing I like about them really lol... well the Fall of Man is pretty nice I guess.

Oh and

YAH

YAH

YAH!

Instead of 1,2,3 is genius by the crowd and very funny. Take away the NXT crowd when they debut on Raw though and they're not that great really.

bjork

The heart punch was dope when Crush used it for like a month.

I'd sell for that before the thumb thing Umaga used to do.

Xater

That shit is great and I thank the NXT audience for finding some way to entertain me while the Ascension have a match. The way Konnor goes with it is pretty good too.

Yeah but once the NXT crowd is gone they will be pure shit again.

For a show that didn't look at all exciting on paper, today's New Japan iPPV was pretty great. Best match was probably the main event, which sets up a title match for Makabe & Tanahashi down the line - Gallows had the best performance of his New Japan run so far. Naito, Honma & KUSHIDA vs Ishii, Yujiro & YOSHI was great fun, on par with the Shinsuke & Forever Hooligans vs Fale & Young Bucks tag, while the opening match (with random appearance from Mascara Dorada) was pretty good as well. Hell, even Captain New Japan's match was good, although Shibata didn't get a lot of shine in this one. Also, TenKoji vs Nakanishi & Komatsu was far better than any match in 2014 involving Tenzan, Nakanishi and a young lion has any right to be.

Overall, I'd say it's well worth a watch - nothing outstanding, just a solid show from top to bottom (the by-the-numbers CHAOS/Suzuki-gun brawl notwithstanding).

Sblargh

Banned
Maybe he does it already and I'm too noob to notice, but for a heel asshole mat wrestler, Corey Graves should bust out some extra painful submission holds.

Rapstah

Which NXT guys are still the same guy they were in FCW? Aiden English and Colin Cassady wrestled under those names (and against each other) but weren't really the same characters. Anyone else? That Jason Jordan guy?

mouserat

Neo Member
I'd like to wade in on the Corey Graves discussion but when I try to remember any of his matches the vision of a slow moving, grey vortex of nothing appears in my mind, in a room covered in grey wallpaper.

Heel

PIkprkZ.gif

Imagine if Jim had a "movement" of entitled fans shoehorning him into the title picture. I yearn for the days where the "WWE Universe" stuck to cheering and booing like normal people unless called upon. Motherfuckers, this isn't about you. "...WHAUT?!"

strobogo

Banned
WCW had their fans chanting FAGGOTS at the Freebirds. WWE had the Manhattan Center chanting JOHNNY HOMO while Rick Steiner cheers with them.

Heel

WCW had their fans chanting FAGGOTS at the Freebirds. WWE had the Manhattan Center chanting JOHNNY HOMO while Rick Steiner cheers with them.

Were they bright enough to keep crowd gimmicks confined to a particular wrestler's segment, instead of interjecting themselves into every possible moment?

I feel like the modern fan has been coddled and told it's "all about you!" to the point where they think they're a part of the show. We need to go back.

strobogo

Banned
Were they bright enough to keep crowd gimmicks confined to a particular wrestler's segment, instead of interjecting themselves into every possible moment?

I feel like the modern fan has been coddled and told it's "all about you!" to the point where they think they're a part of the show. We need to go back.

Kind of. The Manhattan Center crowd was Smark Central and were basically an ECW crowd, so they did a lot of booing of faces, cheering of heels, and random chants that Vince would ignore.

Sblargh

Banned
I'm enjoying smackdown this week more than raw. Paige match was cool, Rusev match was fun, too. Xavier Woods is doing his part as the dude falling to stop the big monster.

Top Bottom