• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

April Wrasslin' |OT2| The Coronation of The King of Swing

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Notice all the people who shit on Bryan's looks are MMA fans who are used to the shaved bald tattooed look that everyone but them hates.

Hell, guys like Georges St-Pierre and Frank Edgar look as professional as any athlete in any sport and these MMA fans have done their best to run them out of the sport. Damn gimmick posters.

And they're pretty much indirectly defending a Batista/Orton main event which I think would've been absolute failure. But no Daniel Bryan looks like a sack of shit and pubic hair that he can't hang with the muscles and tattoos.

Hell, guys like Georges St-Pierre and Frank Edgar look as professional as any athlete in any sport and these MMA fans have done their best to run them out of the sport. Damn gimmick posters.

pretty sure a bastard child ran GSP out of the business. and Egdar is still in. sure, stuck in the TUF black hole but still in.

If they wanted to stop crowds from chanting "JBl" then they should stop with 4 minute ADR matches and santino: fandango matches every week.

Sblargh

Banned
Crowd shitting on the show saved RR 2014, crowd marking out for everything made the Raw After Mania memorable, dead crowds make dead shows. If the crowd thinks they are part of the show, they are damned right. Shows where the crowd is dead makes for worse shows, just see this thread during any Raw on a silently, respectful crowd.

Right or wrong, backfiring or not, those are thousands of strangers trying to coordinate themselves on the fly to simply have fun and a lot of times this fun translates into a better product, because, you know, fun is better than no fun. See also, how the NXT crowd makes everything better.

I'm not gonna call y'all gimmick posters, but I just don't understand this burning desire to make a weekly 3 hours show boring. We already have people telling Michael Cole to debate storylines during the match for that.

strobogo

Banned

It's because they have zero personality. GSP couldn't show personality and charisma even when he was acting as a comic book character. It's no surprise that the most popular MMA fighters are ones with personalities closer to pro wrestlers. Same idea why vanilla straight wrestling promotions like ROH (which isn't so much that anymore, but still) never take off to WWE levels.

There have been hundreds of Benoit/Malenko style dry technicians, but only a handful have ever really been successful. And that's because they stood out from a bunch of characters. They don't stand out when everyone is that.

It's because they have zero personality. GSP couldn't show personality and charisma even when he was acting as a comic book character. It's no surprise that the most popular MMA fighters are ones with personalities closer to pro wrestlers. Same idea why vanilla straight wrestling promotions like ROH (which isn't so much that anymore, but still) never take off to WWE levels.

There have been hundreds of Benoit/Malenko style dry technicians, but only a handful have ever really been successful. And that's because they stood out from a bunch of characters. They don't stand out when everyone is that.

GSP showed little, almost human bursts of emotion but it took Nick Diaz to bring it out.

Crowd shitting on the show saved RR 2014, crowd marking out for everything made the Raw After Mania memorable, dead crowds make dead shows. If the crowd thinks they are part of the show, they are damned right. Shows where the crowd is dead makes for worse shows, just see this thread during any Raw on a silently, respectful crowd.

Right or wrong, backfiring or not, those are thousands of strangers trying to coordinate themselves on the fly to simply have fun and a lot of times this fun translates into a better product, because, you know, fun is better than no fun. See also, how the NXT crowd makes everything better.

I'm not gonna call y'all gimmick posters, but I just don't understand this burning desire to make a weekly 3 hours show boring. We already have people telling Michael Cole to debate storylines during the match for that.

But "no we need to go back" which I have no fucking clue what that means.

Honestly crowds were hot as shit back then. Back to 1995 when business was at its absolute worst.

strobogo

Banned
GSP showed little, almost human bursts of emotion but it took Nick Diaz to bring it out.

MMA is full of vanilla, boring as fuck dudes who don't realize they are in the sports entertainment business. The guys who do realize that make tons of money even if their records aren't great.

MMA is full of vanilla, boring as fuck dudes who don't realize they are in the sports entertainment business. They guys who do realize that make tons of money even if their records aren't great.

very true.

Heel, now that i think about it, if UFC can make Conor McGregor presentable surely WWE can do the same with Bryan, you reckon?

cad7e5978b8b2bf12cb9f8ceeb448b86.jpg

BHZ Mayor

you never heard Goldberg chants during cruiser matches in 1998 WCW.

you never heard Rock chants during a Hardy Boys tag match in 2000 WWF.

That's because 1998 cruiser matches and 2000 Hardy Boyz matches weren't boring rest-hold filled matches between people who either have been around way to long, boring as shit, can't wrestle worth a damn, or run out of breath cutting promos.

This is what you're defending right now. This is why people call you guys gimmick posters. Because you can't see past the muscles and haircuts to realize that the guys you're defending, quite frankly, suck, and most people don't want to see them in 2014.

You might as well defend John Cena while you're at it.

strobogo

Banned
The only difference between UFC and WWE is that the matches are shoots in UFC. That's it. It's the same business model, same everything. Guys get pushes. Guys have gimmicks. There are storylines. GM who won't get his fucking face off the shows. Wearing your t-shirts so you can sell them. Video packages. Entrance music. Announcers talking about random shit in the middle of a match. It's the same thing. Anyone who watches MMA and thinks it is some pure sport is as stupid as anyone who watches WWE and thinks it is a pure sport. They aren't even two sides of the same coin. They are the same side of the same coin, but with a few scratches on one half of that side.

They're both in the business of selling tickets and merchandise and do it in exactly the same way.

of course people are allowed to boo and cheer for who they want.

but when the boo and cheers only purpose is to put themselves over then it's a shit crowd. and there's a lot of shit crowds nowadays.

you never heard Goldberg chants during cruiser matches in 1998 WCW.

you never heard Rock chants during a Hardy Boys tag match in 2000 WWF.

these cunts bring the show down chanting JBL and Jerry, Jerry just for the chance that the camera man might acknowledge them and they can post a screencap on Facebook and Twitter telling all their mates "hey look, i was chanting in the crowd for JBL during Sheamus match. LOL!!!". everyone wants to be a fuckin star, everyone wants to go online and not read about how good the show was but how awesome and "smarky" the crowd they were in was. that's fuckin awful.

You never heard boring chants then because they put on compelling matches people wanted to see. You only hear JBL, Cole, and Jerry chants now because people are bored of what's happening in the ring, it's no different to a boring chant and I don't think it has much to do with people wanting to be on TV. I think Stro's examples of smarks being cunts was far better or the "Super Dragon!" guy in that they're doing it just to be dicks without any regard to how good the match is.

However none of that is at all relevant to what happened at the Royal Rumble where the entire crowd was upset that they didn't get to see who they wanted to see, they were clearly booing because they were upset with the booking.

and smark and mark are interchangeable, they're all "it's still real to me dammit" as you often prove by stalking the shit out of people who even mention the word mark.

I don't think you understand how to correctly use the terms which is what I was originally pointing out.

legit curious to know what my gimmick is.

Guy who doesn't understand there's a difference between MMA and wrestling? You literally just called wrestlers fighters and are super salty about Bryan being pushed as a top guy because he could never be a UFC heavyweight champion.

Chamber

love on your sleeve

GSP was so vanilla yet still the only legit draw in the in the sport post-Brock Lesnar. MMA fans didn't know what they had until he was gone. :(

UFC guys need to be more like Jon Jones. I want to pay money to see Jon Jones either get his ass kicked or do something spectacular. He runs his mouth just enough for me to dislike him, but not enough for it to become tiring.

strobogo

Banned
GSP was an anti-draw to me and he was a big reason of why I tuned out of MMA. If he was headlining a card, there was no way I was going to put any money down or go somewhere to see it.

That's because 1998 cruiser matches and 2000 Hardy Boyz matches weren't boring rest-hold filled matches between people who either have been around way to long, boring as shit, can't wrestle worth a damn, or run out of breath cutting promos.

This is what you're defending right now. This is why people call you guys gimmick posters. Because you can't see past the muscles and haircuts to realize that the guys you're defending, quite frankly, suck, and most people don't want to see them in 2014.

You might as well defend John Cena while you're at it.

you do realize booing Batista didn't send him away, just turned him heel?

if you want someone gone, send the message: total silence. that shows folks don't care about him. don't give him a reaction. if you react to him it means he has some value, so he's kept around.

but nah, let's chant BOO-tista so the camera can film us and we can Vine it or Instagram it to everyone showing how awesome we are.

and don't get me started on the Total Divas stuff.

BHZ Mayor

if you want someone gone, send the message: total silence. that shows folks don't care about him. don't give him a reaction. if you react to him it means he has some value, so he's kept around.

but nah, let's chant BOO-tista so the camera can film us and we can Vine it or Instagram it to everyone showing how awesome we are.

People reacted to X-Pac too.

Sblargh

Banned

Better yet, you can buy a ton of tickets and not show up so they have a lot of empty chairs. That will show them!

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
UFC guys need to be more like Jon Jones. I want to pay money to see Jon Jones either get his ass kicked or do something spectacular. He runs his mouth just enough for me to dislike him, but not enough for it to become tiring.
Jon Jones is interesting in that his skill set has come into question after the pounding he received from Gustaffson which lead to a near berry. Still his fights are interesting and his personality is two-faced in that he wants to act as though he's humble, but look any closer and you can see that it's a thin veil for his arrogance.

Ithil

Why does Cole keep calling Paige's finisher a "modified Scorpion Crosslock"? There's like, nothing modified about it, it's a straight Scorpion Crosslock.

It's a pretty specific move.

Jon Jones is interesting in that his skill set has come into question after the pounding he received from Gustaffson which lead to a near berry. Still his fights are interesting and his personality is two-faced in that he wants to act as though he's humble, but look any closer and you can see that it's a thin veil for his arrogance.

I agree. It's so stupid to see all the media types saying "Gustaffson fought his best fight and couldn't beat Jones when he wasn't at his best, so Jones will fix himself and kill Gustaffson later." I just don't get it.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Why does Cole keep calling Paige's finisher a "modified Scorpion Crosslock"? There's like, nothing modified about it, it's a straight Scorpion Crosslock.

Modified makes it sound more technical, that is until they think of a name related to her and her gimmick.

In fact, let's call it: The Binder. Y'know cause her name is Paige.

Sblargh

Banned

To trick people into thinking her finisher is an original WWE sports entertainment creation? Like, no matter how good it looks or how well she does it, what really matters is that her finisher is hers.
The moment she has a snazzy name for it like "The Move That Beat AJ", it doesn't matter anymore if it is modified or not.

Does WWE Countdown not exist anymore? It wasn't on this week, but I figured that was because of the Warrior special. It's not listed for next week either, though. In its place is "Best of Hall of Fame 2014".

I for one welcomed Batista to the main roster when he was announced but they had to be godamn idiots when he won the Rumble because of how Bryan was built up as and how over he was. You can give the audience all the credit they got, but WWE did their fair share in making Bryan a star also. Batista winning wasn't a swerve but a nightmare come true. Turning him heel was a Vince turning a negative into a positive and they had no choice. I don't think they wanted Batista gone, they didn't want him to win the Rumble. That was it.

As a Slammy Award Winning member of the Raw After Wrestlemania Crowd of 2013 I find this turn in conversation deeply troubling.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
GSP was a draw because we kept waiting for someone to crack that shell of his and find a human underneath.

Diaz vs GSP was probably some of the most fun I've had in a long time, was dying to see Nick make him snap.

This thread bores me. At what point did WWE's PR team take over? Can't talk shit without the same 3-5 people running damage control as though our posts are somehow influencing the stock price.

The only interesting thing I read in the last 4 pages was that a Japanese lady washed Bret Hart's body with her pussy. Thank you, Alucard. Your post gave me the strength to slog through page after page of shit.

Does WWE dot com have an official forum for you toolboxes to eff off to? Somewhere you won't be bothered by our contrarian gimmick posting?

GSP was a draw because we kept waiting for someone to crack that shell of his and find a human underneath.

Diaz vs GSP was probably some of the most fun I've had in a long time, was dying to see Nick make him snap.

The only problem I had with it is that in the end it really didn't change much. Other than interesting comments in the build-up, the fight went exactly the same as most of GSP's fights. Diaz couldn't stop the takedowns, so he was taken down.

This thread bores me. At what point did WWE's PR team take over? Can't talk shit without the same 3-5 people running damage control as though our posts are somehow influencing the stock price.

The only interesting thing I read in the last 4 pages was that a Japanese lady washed Bret Hart's body with her pussy. Thank you, Alucard. Your post gave me the strength to slog through page after page of shit.

Does WWE dot com have an official forum for you toolboxes to eff off to? Somewhere you won't be bothered by our contrarian gimmick posting?

So you are telling us to stop posting what we want and just let you post what you want? If someone disagrees with something, they aren't required to stay quiet.

Sblargh

Banned
Turning Batista heel was the best thing for him. He's still not really in ring shape, he can't fight a singles match with Sheamus full of rest spots and not look ridiculous. Now, he got to be in one of the greatest wrestlemania main events of all, being booed like a true goddamn heel should be booed, having a match that didn't demanded him to do more work than he can handle and still be a very good and exciting match.

Now he still is a damn good heel, he still is being protected by having Orton and Triple H carrying him and just letting him out to do some cool spot like the bomb into RKO into monitor accidental friendly fire finisher. So now he still is in the spotlight, first feuding with The Face Of WWE Daniel Bryan, now feuding with The Hounds Of Justice, possibly main eventing Extreme Rules as well and it is working, slowly, but it is working, people are starting to boo the character and not the man or the booking, people are starting to see him more as a threat and less as someone who almost faints in a match, because he is not in those kind of matches anymore, he is the guy who comes in fresh, does a finisher, stomp his feet so the crowd can boo him and hope for the face to make a comeback and then get out.

He may have not got his main event babyface push as he wanted, but aside from Trips and Steph, he is pretty much the top heel right now, which is really not a bad spot to be in.

You think the crowd should show disinterest? Like chanting for JBL, Cole, and King during matches?

that only tells me the crowd wants to be talked about and get props on live TV by JBL or Cole.

if you like you cheer. if you hate you boo. if you don't care you don't say anything.

popping for Sheamus when he enters, chanting unrelated stuff during the match and then popping Del Rio when he wins tells me, and the people in the back, absolutely nothing.

Corpus Christi let me knows what they think of those matches better than Chicago.

We'll never see human GSP again, Matt Serra made sure of that!

And anybody in the Diaz camp is bitchmade. Looking at you too Rousey, you know the jig is up soon :p

From Figure Four Weekly:

For now, there are no plans for Ric Flair to come back as the manager of Evolution. Obviously, that could change, but he really comes off as a guy who shouldn't be on live TV right now so that's for the best.

SummerSlam will be billed as a "pay-per-view" and not a "special event," so I guess that's the plan for the bigger shows. It remains to be seen if that means anything, though.

As you'd expect, everyone in WWE is incredibly amused by TNA putting the title on Eric Young in a knock-off of Daniel Bryan at WrestleMania. Nobody has any problem with Eric Young as a worker or a person as much as they think the booking is ridiculous.

So you are telling us to stop posting what we want and just let you post what you want? If someone disagrees with something, they aren't required to stay quiet.
I want you personally to stop spamming the thread with a post seemingly every 60 seconds, yes, that would be a start in the right direction.

Top Bottom