• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

April Wrasslin' |OT2| The Coronation of The King of Swing

Aiii

So not worth it
Serious talk, if Natalya makes less money than him, there's something wrong. I understand, like, Bryan, the top "superstar" making more money than Paige, the top "Diva" (I mean, it's bullshit, but ok, I can see that easily being the case). But Natalya, who is regularly on the tv shows and even in some PPVs, making less money than the dude who had one bad match in NXT would be mind blowing. Was he even in the jobber royal pay check of Wrestlemania?

I think he was in the BR yeah.

But yeah, Divas apparently make fuck all downside, best I can tell these are the numbers going around the web:
Divas

Alicia Fox: $72,520 downside – 3 year contract
AJ Lee: $104,300 downside – 3 year contract
Beth Phoenix: $112,500 downside/first class travel – 3 year contract
Eve: $109,475 downside/first class travel – 5 year contract
Layla: $86,450 downside – 3 year contract
Natalya: $74,410 downside – 3 year contract

Old numbers though and it's only the downside and doesn't include the income from appearances, numbers are from 2011 so I expect AJ got a nice pay bump on her latest extension and probably gets an increased percentage on merchandising sales and maybe Natalya got an increase due to Total Divas, but basically...

Alberto Del Rio: $675,000 downside/first class travel – 3 year contract
Big Show: $1,050,000 downside/allocated a personal touring bus/first class travel arrangements paid for, when bus travel is not an option – 10 year contract
Brodus Clay: $170,000 downside – 2 year contract
Christian: $595,000 downside/first class travel – 3 year contract
CM Punk: $1,220,500 downside/allocated a personal touring bus/first class travel arrangements paid for, when bus travel is not an option/receives an additional 3.25% bonus for high merchandise sales – 7 year contract
Cody Rhodes: $494,500 downside – 3 year contract
Daniel Bryan: $620,470 downside – 3 year contract
Darren Young: $80,145 downside – 3 year contract
Dolph Ziggler: $540,230 downside – 3 year contract
Jack Swagger: $319,000 downside – 3 year contract
Jinder Mahal: $75,000 downside – 3 year contract
John Cena: $2,750,000 downside/first class travel and accommodation/receives an additional 6.25% bonus for high merchandise sales – 10 year contract
Kane: $905,000 downside/first class travel and accommodation – 5 year contract
Kofi Kingston: $254,200 downside – 3 year contract
Mark Henry: $877,000 downside/first class travel – 10 year contract
Randy Orton: $1,600,500 downside/allocated a personal touring bus/first class travel arrangements paid for, when bus travel is not an option/receives an additional 2.2% bonus for high merchandise sales – 10 year contract
Rey Mysterio: $985,000 downside/first class travel arrangements/receives an additional 4% bonus for high merchandise sales – 5 year contract
Sheamus: $1,000,000 downside/first class travel arrangements – 7 year contract
Tensai: $520,000 downside – 3 year contract
The Great Khali: $974,000 downside – 5 year contract
The Miz: $712,000 downside/first class travel – 5 year contract
Zack Ryder: $135,050 downside/receives an additional 1.5% bonus for high merchandise sales – 3 year contract
...She was making Jinder Mahal money back then.

Dirtsheet source: http://www.ringsideaction.com/2012/10/wwe-talent-salaries/

Browny

Banned
Serious talk, if Natalya makes less money than him, there's something wrong. I understand, like, Bryan, the top "superstar" making more money than Paige, the top "Diva" (I mean, it's bullshit, but ok, I can see that easily being the case). But Natalya, who is regularly on the tv shows and even in some PPVs, making less money than the dude who had one bad match in NXT would be mind blowing. Was he even in the jobber royal pay check of Wrestlemania?

She's likely getting a 4 figure sum per episode of TD (as a headliner); he probably gets half or so? Their basic WWE contracts are probably similar - didn't someone post up the salaries from a year or so ago?

Fake edit: here

He's not on there, but probably on a par with Jinder and the like...?

Edit: AAAAAAAAAAAIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII! I'm getting too old for this shit. :)

Hasney

Wait, doesn't the Punk thing make those numbers BS? Re-signed in 2011 and expiring in July this year means it wouldn't be a 7 year contract.

Aiii

So not worth it
Wait, doesn't the Punk thing make those numbers BS? Re-signed in 2011 and expiring in July this year means it wouldn't be a 7 year contract.

It's a work brother.

I assume all the numbers and stuff is educated guesswork, none of that is public knowledge aside from the executive income, which is public knowledge due to being a public company:
- CEO and Chairman Vince McMahon – $1,184,500
- Chief Financial Officer and Chief Strategy Officer George Barrios – $700,000
- Executive Producer Kevin Dunn – $700,000
- WWE Studios President Michael Luisi – $600,000
- Executive VP of Talent, Live Events and Creative Paul “Triple H” Levesque – $550,000 (he also has a talent contract for $1,000,000 a year)

Hasney

Man, I love that Punk DVD in hindsight.

"Getting this bus will probably add several years to my career"

About 2 years later

"Fuck you, I'm out of here"

Aiii

So not worth it
People are really downplaying burnout's here (and everywhere really). That's a shame.

Give the guy some credit, the guy lived for wrestling almost his entire life, I find it somewhat amusing how quickly people turned on him "for leaving us."

strobogo

Banned
People are really downplaying burnout's here (and everywhere really). That's a shame.

Give the guy some credit, the guy lived for wrestling almost his entire life, I find it somewhat amusing how quickly people turned on him "for leaving us."

I think it is more than he's a miserable asshole who bitched and moaned to get what he wanted, then bitched that he had it and wanted more (which would have made him bitch even more), then got fed up and left anyway.

Sblargh

Banned
The disparity, tho. Urgh. Top Divas making less money than Brodus Clay.

Also, lol @ Khali. I bet there was a moment they were all watching them show, then the one responsible just went "welp, that was a mistake all right".

Aiii

So not worth it
I think it is more than he's a miserable asshole who bitched and moaned to get what he wanted, then bitched that he had it and wanted more (which would have made him bitch even more), then got fed up and left anyway.

He never bitched to me. How is that a valid argument to anyone than the people he actually bitched to?

Besides, if that was the big problem people had with Punk, they should have never been behind the guy, because as far as I can tell, he's been pretty much the same his entire life.

Honestly it's 100% a "We hate him for leaving us, his life belongs to us" mentality that comes with having a devout fanbase as wrestling does.

The fact that they haven't buried Punk from all sides (they even did it to freaking Austin, their true top guy) makes me think that at bare minimum, Vince empathizes with his plight. Which makes me think he's burned out and needs time.

Well it's quite funny after he kept shooting on The Rock for leaving. Makes him look like a hypocritical little bitch.

Ithil

I think he was in the BR yeah.

But yeah, Divas apparently make fuck all downside, best I can tell these are the numbers going around the web:
Divas

Old numbers though and it's only the downside and doesn't include the income from appearances, numbers are from 2011 so I expect AJ got a nice pay bump on her latest extension and probably gets an increased percentage on merchandising sales and maybe Natalya got an increase due to Total Divas, but basically...

...She was making Jinder Mahal money back then.

Dirtsheet source: http://www.ringsideaction.com/2012/10/wwe-talent-salaries/

According to Meltzer, Cena's downside guarantee is 1 million (he makes 3+ a year, but that's with all the additions), and WWE itself released Triple H's salary since he has two. His performer salary is something like 1.2 million, that list I remember said it was 2+.

So assume that list is nonsense.

Aiii

So not worth it
The fact that they haven't buried Punk from all sides (they even did it to freaking Austin, their true top guy) makes me think that at bare minimum, Vince empathizes with his plight. Which makes me think he's burned out and needs time.

Both Kevin Nash (talked to him 3 days before he quit) and Mick Foley (talked to him at the Rumble) said they 100% understand why he walked out and said it was the right choice for Punk.

And if even Nash is on your side, given his relationship with Trips, you can be damn sure there's a lot more to the story than "he didn't want to fight Triple H."

Well it's quite funny after he kept shooting on The Rock for leaving. Makes him look like a hypocritical little bitch.

Even that's a stretch, since it was about Rock leaving to become a movie star and then returning to be an instant main eventer and taking spots from guys that were there all year. Not about him leaving period.

Sblargh

Banned
More money = More problems.

How come Cena isn't burned out? Because he spends all his money on a house that he's never in. Or on stupidly expensive stuff for Nikki. Or whatever. Cena doesn't have any problems other the job; Punk, on the other hand, had all that money. Poor guy.

Marvel

could never
Speaking of Cena, when is he gonna start to get fat? dude has been rock solid for over a decade. Even HHH went through a beer belly period with the mutton chop look at one point.

Sblargh

Banned
I want Bryan's bus back.
That should be their next reality show.

"Bryan's Bus". Every week he travels with a different jobber trying his best to make a name for himself on the show.

strobogo

Banned
He never bitched to me. How is that a valid argument to anyone than the people he actually bitched to?

Besides, if that was the big problem people had with Punk, they should have never been behind the guy, because as far as I can tell, he's been pretty much the same his entire life.

Honestly it's 100% a "We hate him for leaving us, his life belongs to us" mentality that comes with having a devout fanbase as wrestling does.

I would disagree. If he didn't come off as such a miserable asshole who is unappreciative of what he had, I don't think people would have any animosity towards him for walking out.

As it is, he bitched until he got what he wanted, and then continued to bitch the whole time he had it, and then left. It's hard to sympathize with someone like that. And on top of that, he's an acerbic dick head. So, fuck him. If he wants to leave, let him leave. Dude wanted to leave and be left alone, but people still post what he's up to all the time. It's more that people are fed up with other people who want us to know what he's doing in his personal time every day. Dude is gone, let him live his life as a regular dude and stop posting pictures of him eating or watching hockey. Who gives a fuck about any of that?

Alucard

Banned
Btw, with EY beating Magnus cleanly last night, it looks like TNA is serious about pushing him. I have to say it's refreshing to watch main event matches without any shenanigans. EY's someone every TNA fan can get behind, and he has the skills in the ring and on the mic to make this work. TNA feels much more interesting and refreshing with a face champ.

Aiii

So not worth it
I would disagree. If he didn't come off as such a miserable asshole who is unappreciative of what he had, I don't think people would have any animosity towards him for walking out.

As it is, he bitched until he got what he wanted, and then continued to bitch the whole time he had it, and then left. It's hard to sympathize with someone like that. And on top of that, he's an acerbic dick head. So, fuck him. If he wants to leave, let him leave. Dude wanted to leave and be left alone, but people still post what he's up to all the time. It's more that people are fed up with other people who want us to know what he's doing in his personal time every day. Dude is gone, let him live his life as a regular dude and stop posting pictures of him eating or watching hockey. Who gives a fuck about any of that?

Here's Punk and a high school baseball team.

Aiii

So not worth it
Does that mean he's not a dick head? This is a guy that is proud that he is harder to deal with than HBK in the 90s.

No, that just means there's a random picture of Punk doing random things.

I don't agree that people are on the "we hate Punk" bandwagon because he's a dick in real life after rallying behind him for years, but I've already said that and figured we didn't need to go on a "YES" "NO" "YES" "NO" type of discussion for pages on end, so I'd just post a pic to annoy you instead :D

No, that just means there's a random picture of Punk doing random things.

I don't agree that people are on the "we hate Punk" bandwagon because he's a dick in real life after rallying behind him for years, but I've already said that and figured we didn't need to go on a "YES" "NO" "YES" "NO" type of discussion for pages on end, so I'd just post a pic to annoy you instead :D

what a dick move. no wonder stro hates you.

Hasney

I love the guy and hope he one day comes back completely refreshed and ready to go. I just found that funny.

strobogo

Banned
I'm not sure that's really revisionist history, but more of an example of why I hate you. And everyone besides you can plainly see why. Even dear old Bean Breath can see it, and he can't see the cable bill for the TNA PPVs he watches.

BHZ Mayor

The Austin thing was 12 years ago, so it could also just be a lessons learned type of thing too.

bjork

Or they thought about how they shit all over Warrior back when the first DVD came out, then realized they could stroke more money out of him and his likeness if they just played ball. No point in burning the bridge.

I'm with Aiii on this one. The whole reason I took a stupid avatar bet with Beef and got stuck with this awful thing for a month is because of the sheer butthurt displayed towards Punk since his departure. People are making lots of assumptions about the man's character based on rumour and conjecture and some seem almost incapable of telling where his on-screen character begins and ends. Also, the revisionist history around here has been pretty hilarious to read.

Top Bottom