• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

April Wrasslin' |OT2| The Coronation of The King of Swing

Laserfrog

I finished Empire Strikes Back on NES, you save Han and defeat Darth Vader. It's like if everything went right instead of wrong, it's a happier more positive outlook on the Star Wars.

strobogo

Banned
ULTIMATE Stro is eating pizza and going on a bike ride later instead of eating pizza, eating a huge bowl of chips and salsa, and having a few off brand Crown and Cokes before taking some sleeping pills and going to bed.

Entropia

No One Remembers
ULTIMATE Stro is eating pizza and going on a bike ride later instead of eating pizza, eating a huge bowl of chips and salsa, and having a few off brand Crown and Cokes before taking some sleeping pills and going to bed.

Uh, isn't that a bad idea?

strobogo

Banned
Uh, isn't that a bad idea?

iZ2TfF1kn29SL.gif

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I'm watching Murder She Wrote for the first time.

DMczaf

Looks like the Danielsons are back from their honeymoon on that Eco retreat. Brie just posted on Instagram for the first time in a week.

You know what moment really took me out of the Warrior doc? When Batista said he watched The Ultimate Warrior "as a kid". Isn't he like 5 years younger than Warrior?

You know what moment really took me out of the Warrior doc? When Batista said he watched The Ultimate Warrior "as a kid". Isn't he like 5 years younger than Warrior?

Dave is 9 years younger than him. Warrior broke on the scene in 1986-87, when Dave was 17-18 and when Warrior got big Dave would be in his early 20's. So, kid is stretching it yes but I also don't think Dave cared about wrestling until he was recruited to be one.

Sblargh

Banned
Rewatching the royal rumble. There was a pop when Batista entered, then it's like people realized he was number #28 and that he was going to get his free pass to wrestlemania and there were some boos, but still, legit mixed reactions, people cheered when he eliminated Rowan.

Then Big E entered at #29 and there was zero reaction, positive or negative.

Then weak chants of Danyel Bryan began and it kind of died, as the number #30 started to come, yes chants, not really strong chants.

When Rey got in, tho, there were boos, and there were Daniel Bryan chants, and the crowd oscilates between dead and boos, but by now they are either not reacting or booing stuff.

Roman Reigns eliminates the Shield and Cesaro and huge pop, people at this point rallied behind Roman Reigns, there were some boos when punk got eliminated (from his career), but nobody look really upset about it. Daniel Bryan chants again as soon as Punk got through the table.

Sheamus, Batista and Reigns, now, crowd booing nothing in particular, just the match, Batista takes down Reigns, people start "no no no" and now are definetly against him. Sheamus getting that mixed reaction.

Roman Reigns eliminate Sheamus and the crowd pop big time. People are totally behind Reigns. Still, every time the pop calms down, the boos take over. It's noticeable because Batista is basically dead and stay down a long time between spots.

Roman Reigns chants. Batista spears, boos, Reigns spears, cheers. Batista wins, crowd riot. Nobody is happy. On the internet people are vowing to never watch WWE again. Batista's can barely stand while looking shook at the boos. Someone tried to start a "you still got it" chant, but boos drowned it. Sadness everywhere. Puppies and kittens are crying. A homeless man watching on the streets shed a tear as this was his last hope at ever being happy again. The world is horrible. People wish for WWE to bankrupt. Rednecks are calling to the Steve Austin podcast to say they think Orson and Batista is going to be terrible. It's the bad times before the good times. By the end of the show, the crowd can't even boo anymore, they're getting up and leaving, they don't want to be a part of this anymore.

Bean breath is happy that maybe, just maybe, WWE will sink to TNA levels.
-
Not really relevant, I guess, but since we talked so much about crowd, the story isn't exactly that the crowd hijacked the show in the name of Daniel Bryan, that's actually what the narrative became after HHH came out the following day with the "somebody did not get what they wanted" line. A Roman Reigns win would have pleased people just fine, even if he isn't ready for a singles career, much less main event wrestlemania. After Roman Reigns eliminated the three other internet darlings at the same time, the crowd was into it, not 100%, but they regained a lot of people with that spot.

Conclusion to yet another brilliant essay: The narrative that the crowd tried to shove Daniel Bryan down poor WWE throat is an exageration made by WWE themselves so they could salvage a wrestlemania doomed by the lack of Punk and the presence of Batista.

Roman was an acceptable alternative at the moment because he wasn't Batista, but the crowd still would have seen that as Bryan's spot. The crowd only chanted for Reigns when they saw Bryan for sure was not in. You could have put anyone in Roman's position that was somebody they didn't hate as much as Batista and they would have cheered for them.

Sblargh

Banned
Roman was an acceptable alternative at the moment because he wasn't Batista, but the crowd still would have seen that as Bryan's spot. The crowd only chanted for Reigns when they saw Bryan for sure was not in. You could have put anyone in Roman's position that was somebody they didn't hate as much as Batista and they would have cheered for them.

Eh, almost, I say you could have put anyone of the Shield or Cesaro in there and people would get behind them. Sheamus was not getting much love, I doubt ADR or the rest of the vast grey midcard would, too. And Sheamus was making a comeback, too, as soon as he entered, people loved it, then it was like they remembered that they have been watching Sheamus for years.

Eh, almost, I say you could have put anyone of the Shield or Cesaro in there and people would get behind them. Sheamus was not getting much love, I doubt ADR or the rest of the vast grey midcard would, too. And Sheamus was making a comeback, too, as soon as he entered, people loved it, then it was like they remembered that they have been watching Sheamus for years.

Anyone seen as a "fresh main eventer" I guess is what I was saying. They also would have been fine with Punk.

What made this year's Royal Rumble different was that the titles had been unified and so the winner was definitely main eventing Wrestlemania instead of maybe curtain jerking for the World Heavyweight Championship. This kind of makes it obvious that the winner is going to be someone the company believes is worthy of headlining 'Mania instead of a 'Cinderella story' winner. There definitely wasn't a fun 'Santino - Elimination Chamber' moment this year.

What made this year's Royal Rumble different was that the titles had been unified and so the winner was definitely main eventing Wrestlemania instead of maybe curtain jerking for the World Heavyweight Championship. This kind of makes it obvious that the winner is going to be someone the company believes is worthy of headlining 'Mania instead of a 'Cinderella story' winner. There definitely wasn't a fun 'Santino - Elimination Chamber' moment this year.

Which kind of hurt the match when almost no one was seen as a viable competitor. You had like Batista, Punk, Sheamus and I guess Roman. No one else was seen as capable of winning, so it hurt. Also, that crowd was DYING to see Bryan win it. That's why I say they picked an alternative when they realized he wasn't there, not before.

Sblargh

Banned

This is true, too. Still confused at the idea behind the unification. WWE title as the one who rarely changes hands that signals who the top dog is, World title as the hot potato one that signals who is getting the push, then IC for the midcard and the US for the newcomers.

Now they got a super valuable top title that demands everything to be booked around it; the IC title with a relative new face for whom the title is too big for him and an insignificant US title that got way too small for the guy holding it.

I guess they wanted to make the reigns long and relevant, which is ok, but you're right, this messed the dynamic of the royal rumble.

Top Bottom