• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

April Wrasslin' |OT2| The Coronation of The King of Swing

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
So I opened my 4 KinPuro packs. Got 2 Strong Man cards! Very happy. 2 different ones! Didn't do a video, regrettably.

Too many of Alex Shelley though.

strobogo

Banned
what

WHAT

WHAT>?!?!?!??!

Running Man is not only Arnold's second best movie, but it is one of the best movies of the 80s. Holy shit.

This... this is a disgrace. I'm legit shook.

It sucks. It looks so cheap and half assed. I hate everything about it besides Dawson and Jesse.

Tony schavonne will be a guest on the Ross Report!

Hype!

Every time I get excited about a guest on the Ross Report, I remember that it's most likely going to be done via Skype and as a result, the interview and sound quality aren't going to be great.

This is the one thing Cabana does right.

So a friend took the roster page from TNA's site and edited it down for realism, and not counting people who are commentators, people who are 2 gimmicks (no Joseph Parks, no Willow) people who have left (Sabin), people who will leave (Daniels this week, Kaz next month), or people who do jack (Rampage, King Mo) or who haven't been on in forever (Knux, Garrett).

This is TNA's current complete roster:

qPSQxfI.jpg

(Note: Terrell hasn't been on TV since July due to pregnancy.)

26 active male wrestlers. Not even enough for a Royal Rumble.

Sblargh

Banned
Still not too sure when this "Reality Era" begins.

I don't think there's an official date. The three options are Punk's pipe bomb promo, when it all became meta; Bryan getting the push by being screwed on Summerslam when they probably decided to toy around the idea of making a storyline designed to mess with the smarks or the Royal Rumble when a perfect shitstorm likely start to shift WWE's balance of power torwards Steph/Triple H and away from Vince, when everything focused torwards Bryan because letting the internet book wrestlemania was suddenly not a bad idea.

Sblargh

Banned
did you guys see this? Amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P16lMffijWk

Really incredible stuff.

He did a good job at not making a completely classic version of ride of the valkyries. People ask for Bryan to change his theme, but the gottedarmerung is my favorite Opera play of all; and there's this brilliant thing in it that there's no piece in it dedicated to the ride of Valkyries, but the motiff is there when Brunhilde does something, especially at the end.

So yeah, it has this importance to me, it's not just a song, I hate the way it was used in Apocalypse Now, but I have no problems with the rock n roll version as Bryan's entrance. It's not the same thing, it isn't supposed to be, but the motiff is there, gotta know that the strenght of that particular piece isn't the piece itself, but the way it draws attention when inserted in another context.

(I mean, it's my take on it, I love Opera, but it's not like I completely know stuff, it's one area where I prefer to actually not know a lot to just surrender myself to the feelings when I'm watching)

Ultratech

I don't think there's an official date. The three options are Punk's pipe bomb promo, when it all became meta; Bryan getting the push by being screwed on Summerslam when they probably decided to toy around the idea of making a storyline designed to mess with the smarks or the Royal Rumble when a perfect shitstorm likely start to shift WWE's balance of power torwards Steph/Triple H and away from Vince, when everything focused torwards Bryan because letting the internet book wrestlemania was suddenly not a bad idea.

Yeah, it would be tough to pin down an official date or anything.
Best we could do is take a general guess.

Summer of Punk is a good start, which would've been Summer 2011.

Other things to consider are the widespread proliferation of Twitter, Facebook, Youtube and (lol) Tout.

Assuming some things, I'd say somewhere in maybe early-mid 2011 is where it started to some extent?

I'm sure somebody with more a bit more knowledge would have better answers.

strobogo

Banned
I'm kind of into Ludvig Borga. He was like a early/mid 90s less athletic/charismatic version of Bork. He'd immediately bum rush dudes, punch/elbow the shit out of them, toss them around, and occasionally hit a version of Swiss Death, but with a punch instead of uppercut. And from Finland.

I wouldn't say he's good, exactly, but he is interesting. His style and attitude were really uncommon during that time frame.

The booking style of Raw is strange. It was already supposed to be the "main" show, but a lot of the main and major storylines were still done on the weekend shows. Raw comes off as being kind of a filler show at times since the storylines progressed were usually mid card stuff. But it's the main show. It's odd.

Reality Era started when HHH took an office job.

Yeah, it would be tough to pin down an official date or anything.
Best we could do is take a general guess.

Summer of Punk is a good start, which would've been Summer 2011.

Other things to consider are the widespread proliferation of Twitter, Facebook, Youtube and (lol) Tout.

Assuming some things, I'd say somewhere in maybe early-mid 2011 is where it started to some extent?

I'm sure somebody with more a bit more knowledge would have better answers.

IIRC, Punk was the one who coined the term "Reality Era" in some interviews in summer/fall of 2011, so yeah, I'd say The Pipe Bomb is a good starting point for it.

I think the more important questions are

1) Do we count 2002-2011 as one whole Brand Extention Era or do we split it into the Ruthless Aggression/Triple H Buries Everyone Era and the Cenation/PG Era?

2)Where the fuck does the period between Wrestlemania X7 & X8 fit. Is it still Attitude? Ruthless Aggression? It's own InVasion Era?

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Reviewing the tapes. A few changes in my 'Golden Era' thoughts

•Match quality was real bad in the 80s WWF. Funny enough, they had long time limits, but they just didn't do anything that exciting.
•Storytelling was phenomenal. They did a great job of keeping feuds alive while hardly ever stalling them out with shit like 'rematch clause'. They weren't that deep, but the characters really carried it.
•Jesse Ventura is the best on color ever.
•Brain is probably the best at working the crowd of all time. Second place would be...
•Honky Tonk Man. HTM is the best IC champion of all time. I had my doubts, but rewatching a bunch of PPVs? He elevates the shit out of the title. He takes Warrior from being a superstar to a supernova for beating him. Honky's promo after is so great where he talks about ITS MY BELT. He really makes the IC belt feel as important if not more than the WWF title. I don't think anyone's done that.
•There's some amazing talent in the WWF at this time, but there's a whole lot of turds too. But the highlights are so good that you forgive the turds.
•Everyone gets gassed real quick in the 80s. Obviously Warrior is the biggest culprit, but it was everywhere. Bam Bam, who is a pretty good worker, gasses out about halfway through most his matches.
•Beefcake sucks, but he was over, so I can't hate him too much. Same for Duggan.
•Slaughter didn't deserve any kind of push.
•Dibiase, HTM, Savage, Heenan, etc are all ten times the heel Piper was.
•The Fabulous Rougeaus > Hart Foundation & Bulldogs
•In the time span between Andre and Tenta, I don't think they ever had Hogan show any fear of anyone he wrestled. Kind of weird.

Top Bottom