• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

April Wrasslin' |OT2| The Coronation of The King of Swing

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Reading back through title histories, I get really upset thinking about how damn good different people would have been as champion.

I'm still convinced Ravishing Rick Rude would have been the greatest heel heavyweight champion of all time. Stupid Hogan.

rener-gracie-eve-torres-marriage.png

Heel

At least Stone Cold Steven Austin isn't peddling peppermint ass wipes on his podcast like Jim Ross. No, I'm not kidding. That's hard times, dadday.

At least Stone Cold Steven Austin isn't peddling peppermint ass wipes on his podcast like Jim Ross. No, I'm not kidding. That's hard times, dadday.

YOU NEED TO GET DEER HUNTER TWENTY FOURTEEN ON THE APPLE APP STORE OR THAT GOOGLE PLAY GIMMICK RIGHT NOW. ABSOLUTELY FREE. THATS RIGHT I SAID FREE

Sblargh

Banned
Will people be upset and think Bryan is being buried if they split the title to have either one taken from him?

I want to think that nobody will care, but... sigh.

Reading back through title histories, I get really upset thinking about how damn good different people would have been as champion.

I'm still convinced Ravishing Rick Rude would have been the greatest heel heavyweight champion of all time. Stupid Hogan.

They didn't really do many heel championship reigns back in the old WWF days, and if they did they weren't long and mainly to transition the belt to the next babyface or back to Hogan. The money at the time was Hogan constantly having the belt, so that's all they cared about.

Stone Cold calling Daniel Bryan a "Working Man" totally took me out of the ending of that Daniel Bryan documentary on The Network.

Well if you want elaborate thoughts on Stone Cold's feelings on Bryan, here you go.

PWTorch said:
Wade Keller: What are your thoughts on Daniel Bryan winning the WWE World Title? Will he draw well and sellout shows and draw TV ratings?

Steve Austin: First of all, I’m glad to see Daniel Bryan as the champion and I think it’s got to be a tremendous feeling of pride for himself after everything he’s accomplished. He’s not the biggest guy in the world, he’s not the best looking guy in the world, he’s a hell of a damn worker, he’s a unique personality, and I just hopes he carries the belt to the best of his ability. I know without a shadow of a doubt that’s what he’ll do. Now, whether he maintains ratings, whether he draws houses in the arena, that is gonna be - the proof will be in the pudding, so there’s no use in me speculating about that. When the receipts come in, that’s when we will know.

Keller: I know a lot of people who look at the crowd reactions that Daniel Bryan gets and go, “That is enough reason to put the machine behind him and see how far they can ride him.” And then there is a wide range of people, in the industry and on the outside, who go, “Look at him. Yes, he’s getting a crowd reaction, but it’s just because it’s fun to chant Yes! and he’s a great hand in the ring, he’s got great energy,” but the gimmick with Triple H and Steph is a reflection of how people feel about him behind the scenes. Which is that the crowd reactions are intense, but the only people who will pay to see him are the people in the buildings, and they want someone who can draw from the mainstream and represent the brand. How do you feel about those two arguments, because I haven’t seen in a long a crowd reaction like Daniel Bryan gets. I want to see what they can make out of it. I don’t want there to be a sense that they’re trying to prove right that he’s not a draw. I want the machine him to see what he can do, because those crowd reactions are unorthodox and worth exploring.

Austin: It’s the damnedest crowd reaction I’ve seen in a long, long time. I don’t think I’ve ever seen anything like it - that Yes! chant and everyone pumping their fists like they do. So the fact that he took the belt at Mania, damn right the machine needs to get behind him 120 percent and push him to the moon.

Keller: Is there anyone as a worker in the ring that he reminds you of in terms of his style and what he brings to the table? What do you most respect about what he does in the ring as a worker? His offense, his selling, playing to the crowd, his comebacks? From a great worker’s perspective, what do you see that is really good or great about Daniel Bryan?

Austin: I just like his body of work. Sometimes I’ve seen shades of Japanese style in him, shades of Steve Regal in him, which are obviously two tremendous styles. Just as a mechanic, pretty much peerless. Everything looks good. Great offense. No gaps. He’s a damn good worker. I give his work an A+.

gurudyne

Will people be upset and think Bryan is being buried if they split the title to have either one taken from him?

Story's baked right in. He has two titles, so HHH can make him defend each one in separate matches for as long as he wants.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!

It's all fun and games until he gets sent to Smackdown with the heavyweight belt while Cena gets the WWE championship.

You bet people will be mad. It's all okay to have one main title as long as it's on a guy WWE wants it to be but with Bryan as champion they need two belts again. It's insulting.

Sblargh

Banned
My nightmare scenario:

Cena joins the Wyatts, gets the WWE title with his help, overcome the odds getting free from and defeating the Wyatts, overcome the odds defeating Bryan clean for the first time since Summerslam 2013.

It's a classic underdog story.

My dream scenario:

Wyatts join the Cenation, Bray gets the world heavyweight title clean from Bryan (or semi-clean, like, Bryan has an injury or something, but Bray is a good guy now, he doesn't cheat), Bray overcomes the odds getting free from and defeating Cena as far from clean as possible, make Bray evil, like he kidnapped Cena's father or something and Cena has no choice but not overcome the odds, Bryan keeps WWE title, stay away from this whole storyline, just keep having good matches, defending the title, interacting with Triple H and Steph, and so on.

JavyOO7

Ted DiBiase, Razor Ramon, and Owen Hart come to mind.

I can understand the company putting everything under Hogan though. He was mega money. There can be lessons learned from his reign and any other reigns after all. Its all for naught if Vince and his creative team don't take heed to those lessons.

My nightmare scenario:

Cena joins the Wyatts, gets the WWE title with his help, overcome the odds getting free from and defeating the Wyatts, overcome the odds defeating Bryan clean for the first time since Summerslam 2013.

It's a classic underdog story.

My dream scenario:

Wyatts join the Cenation, Bray gets the world heavyweight title clean from Bryan (or semi-clean, like, Bryan has an injury or something, but Bray is a good guy now, he doesn't cheat), Bray overcomes the odds getting free from and defeating Cena as far from clean as possible, make Bray evil, like he kidnapped Cena's father or something and Cena has no choice but not overcome the odds, Bryan keeps WWE title, stay away from this whole storyline, just keep having good matches, defending the title, interacting with Triple H and Steph, and so on.

Bray already beat Bryan clean at the Royal Rumble!

Sblargh

Banned
Bray already beat Bryan clean at the Royal Rumble!

It's almost not canon so much they ignore this, but hey, he doing it again could bring that back and solidify Bray as someone who can defeat Bryan either in Cenation mode or Family mode, setting up a good feud for WM 31.

It's almost not canon so much they ignore this, but hey, he doing it again could bring that back and solidify Bray as someone who can defeat Bryan either in Cenation mode or Family mode, setting up a good feud for WM 31.

Well that is true, that was booked when Bryan was going to be in a midcard match at Mania so of course they ignore it.

Ted DiBiase, Razor Ramon, and Owen Hart come to mind.

I think DiBiase or Rude could've been great heel champs. They were two of the best heels in the 80s in the company, IMO.

But I won't lie when I was a young Mark, it upset me when they had the b.s. twin gimmick on Saturday Nights Main Event (maybe this one was on a Friday).

DMczaf

Can someone come up with a credible defense for Koko B Ware being in the HOF?

Hell, if you go to his HOF profile his only Career Highlight is being in the HOF!

Kofi should bring back the Koko B. Ware gimmick. He could use his parrot to unhook the MitB briefcase and drop it into his waiting arms. Or, he gets stranded outside the ring in the Rumble and his parrot fetches a rope.

Hell, if you go to his HOF profile his only Career Highlight is being in the HOF!

Koko being in the Hall of Fame isn't even the most laughable part. Vince McMahon's limo driver from the 80s (James Dudley) is in the Hall of Fame for being Vince's limo driver.

That's easy. The hall of fame is a joke and should not be taken seriously. This year they let in a killer to get his tape collection and a guy who never won a belt but had a feel good story. Koko b Ware belongs right alongside these guys brother.

Top Bottom