• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

April Wrasslin' |OT2| The Coronation of The King of Swing

Xater

Steen trained for several months to lose weight and get into shape for that tryout with WWE, it seems unlikely he wouldn't take an offer if he got one. He's evidently gunning for a job.

Steen could be really cool in WWE, but they might fuck up his gimmick and then I could totally see him fail.

Showaddy

Sheesh just tried to watch tonights Smackdown, Paige vs MMAksana is legit the best match of the show. Everyone goods on tour, there's a 10 minute Hornswoggle/Torito match and Sheamus vs Batista is the main event.

Heyman & HHH promos are decent though.

Ithil

Exactly why a guy with moderate success outside of WWE might not be jumping to be repackaged. I assume Devitt makes a decent wage putting on animu facepaint.

Adrian Neville is a short guy (shorter than Devitt) and a high flier, and look at how well he's doing in WWE. He's a definite HHH guy, has gotten a big push since he arrived, and seems like HHH sees him as a major star in the future.

The automatic idea that every indie guy will be treated like Low Ki isn't there any more. I think it's case-by-case basis.

Sblargh

Banned
Sheesh just tried to watch tonights Smackdown, Paige vs MMAksana is legit the best match of the show. Everyone goods on tour, there's a 10 minute Hornswoggle/Torito match and Sheamus vs Batista is the main event.

Heyman & HHH promos are decent though.

Paige vs Aksana is a really good match or just everything else is even worse?

Left a girl legit shook when I asked her out, now I'm just sittin here with you 6/10's to entertain me. This and being a bit short to be in the Top 10, I need some Super Junior matches GAF to sort of cheer me up kinda, help a brother out.

I don't get it, after class ended we talked and walked to the college cafeteria for some reason since she was done and I had an hour to kill before class but was willing to leave and when I asked her if she wanted to get out of here with me, she said she's gotta go to the library. I'm like whatever but still...

I feel like Russo wrote the last hour of this day.

This is why you don't wear wrestling shirts in public, people.

strobogo

Banned
Adrian Neville is a short guy (shorter than Devitt) and a high flier, and look at how well he's doing in WWE. He's a definite HHH guy, has gotten a big push since he arrived, and seems like HHH sees him as a major star in the future.

The automatic idea that every indie guy will be treated like Low Ki isn't there any more. I think it's case-by-case basis.

Low Ki is a fucking dumb dumb. If he had just waited it out a little bit like Bryan and Punk (and now Cesaro), he'd be making a ton of money and be a huge star.

Ithil

I am getting the idea that Devitt is getting pulled from all sides. WWE obviously have made their big offer, TNA apparently have made a play for him, and New Japan are still trying to keep him.

If he stuck with New Japan he'd probably get a money increase and a push for staying, but I doubt he's ever going to be IWGP champion or a top guy there, no matter what.
TNA, I see zero upside with. He'd make ok money in a badly run company that'son a downward spiral, and more importantly he'd be getting himself blacklisted from WWE (and New Japan isn't too fond of TNA either).
WWE, it's always a gamble, but if they're offering a big contract, well then even if it doesn't work out he'd make really good money for three years, then he could go back to NJPW. If it does work out, well then fuck it, he'd have a career in WWE for years and be set for life.

Seems like a no brainer to me, but I'm not him so who knows how he thinks.

DMczaf

Low Ki is a fucking dumb dumb. If he had just waited it out a little bit like Bryan and Punk (and now Cesaro), he'd be making a ton of money and be a huge star.

You don't get it, he was a huge fucking star in the high school gym! He doesn't deserve to job or be in an angle as LayCool's bitch!

Wait, he didn't shake hands when he arrived? FUCK HIM!!! Let Hogan and Slaughter take him to the showers and break his legs. That's how we used to do it in the good days.

Ithil

Yeah, Cesaro is a great example. He started out ok, getting a decent midcard push, then they stopped and he spent pretty much all of 2013 as a complete jobber. But he worked hard, he didn't complain, and he stuck with it, and now he's won them over and they're giving him a big push.

Not that Low Ki is Cesaro, mind. But he'd have probably done pretty well in the end if he'd had some patience.

This is why you don't wear wrestling shirts in public, people.

Went from this...

To this...
iVjpkLfVHmKiD.gif

Had to look down for a sec to make sure I really wasn't wearing one.

Showaddy

Paige vs Aksana is a really good match or just everything else is even worse?

Bit of both :p

Both were pretty aggressive and Aksana actually looks ok against someone who's willing to take a bump and can actually wrestle & sell. They let Aksana cut a promo before the match though...

Listening to the Austin / Heyman podcast.

Holy Shit @ TNA was losing 7 million a month and 70-80 million in debt a few years ago when they where trying to bring in Heyman.

That was back in 2010. I wonder how fucked that company is right now.

You don't get it, he was a huge fucking star in the high school gym! He doesn't deserve to job or be in an angle as LayCool's bitch!

Wait, he didn't shake hands when he arrived? FUCK HIM!!! Let Hogan and Slaughter take him to the showers and break his legs. That's how we used to do it in the good days.

XD

Holy Shit @ TNA was losing 7 million a month and 70-80 million in debt a few years ago when back when they where talking to Heyman.

Pretty fucked. I don't see how they can survive financially too much longer.

Ric Flair

Banned

Holy Shit @ TNA was losing 7 million a month and 70-80 million in debt a few years ago when back when they where talking to Heyman.

It's kind of sad to think Hogan sucked whatever green he could out of that company and left as soon as the well started running dry

Stop listening to bionic and listen to Bo dammit.

The worst times can be the best if you think with positive energy #Bolieve

Change the changeable, accept the unchangeable, and remove yourself from the unacceptable #Bolieve

Oh I'm fine it's all good, fuck her
I'm not gonna :(
It's a little disappointing sure, but I watch wrestling. I can take disappointment. Gotta step up my game to pull them #CHICKS.

Next time I see her imma be like...

tumblr_n16507jGXA1rnjfjfo1_r1_400.gif

Ric Flair

Banned
How is TNA losing so much money per month if they aren't actually paying anybody to begin with?

I know for a period of time they tried going Head-to-Head with Monday Night Raw and it backfired about as badly as you can imagine. They tried some other boneheaded shit that didnt work but cost a ton of money, such as touring the nation and not selling any tickets anywhere

How is TNA losing so much money per month if they aren't actually paying anybody to begin with?

Well the Heyman figures was back in 2010 when they where actually signing nearly everything they could and doing Monday Night Impact. Doing more shows outside the Impact Zone and so on.

They really only started short shifting the wrestlers over the last year and they have been cutting back on shows outside the impact zone. They probably wont be losing that much now but they will still be in all that debt.

Alucard

Banned

Holy Shit @ TNA was losing 7 million a month and 70-80 million in debt a few years ago when they where trying to bring in Heyman.

Exactly how did Heyman have access to TNA's financial information during this time frame? Did he ninja his way into the accountant's office?

Exactly how did Heyman have access to TNA's financial information during this time frame? Did he ninja his way into the accountant's office?

The negotiations between the two parties got to a very advanced stage, so I wouldn't be surprised if he inquired about the financial stability of the place he would be working for.

They wanted to bring him in to be the head dude and help manage the company. Creative, signing talent etc... They got pretty serious.

I would guess being told the financial state of the company would be part of that.

Remember that there was that interview a few years ago where he talked about his year long plan for TNA about firing all the old guys and hiring Bryan after WWE fired him and building him up to face Kurt.

Alucard

Banned
The negotiations between the two parties got to a very advanced stage, so I wouldn't be surprised if he inquired about the financial stability of the place he would be working for.

A company would be pretty stupid to give that kind of info to a person they haven't even hired ye...oh, nevermind. TNA gonna TNA.

Alucard

Banned
So, I've read the reviews for this past week's Main Event and Smackdown. Sounds like the good times after Wrestlemania are all but gone, eh?

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Low Ki explained that he never asked to leave WWE. He never asked to be released. Dude was just straight fired.

Aiii

So not worth it
Two new potential WWE DVD projects were announced today by UK-based retail site, “Zavvi.”

The first is a DVD and Blu-ray release focusing on Sting, with the projected scheduled for a September pre-order.

The second, with the working title “Brothers of Destruction,” is slated to look at the rivalry and history between Undertaker and Kane.

Hyped for the Crow theme on Raw.

So, I've read the reviews for this past week's Main Event and Smackdown. Sounds like the good times after Wrestlemania are all but gone, eh?

I'm not quite sure why you would think that. Main Event was never really important save for a few weeks when they wanted to stress test the Network. And as far as Smackdown goes, I thought the show was alright. Nothing huge, but nothing bad either. But that's just what Smackdown is. What happens on Raw is what matters to the direction of the company, and Raw this week was pretty good.

The structure of the WWE in terms of narrative is really strange to me. Just bizarre things like apparently having the commentators being instructed NOT to emote strongly during impressive sequences, to be quiet and stay out of the way of the match - that just hampers one of their key storytelling devices.

Also, it seems like the entire midcard is just randomly kinda thrown up against each other. You've got a few guys like Cesaro who is on the way up, and The Shield who probably are, too, but then you've got all this kinda anonymous chaos and no real competition around the IC and US title belts. Where are all the storylines? Raw is 3 hours long now and it just feels like there isn't that much going on outside of the main championship storyline and the feuds surrounding that.

It's weird. The WWE feels kinda small.

somedevil

This is going to be a match on the TNA pay per view next week:

Mr. Anderson vs. Sam Shaw in a "committed match."

What? So Sam Shaw decided to do this match even though he doesn't want to be committed. Also, what psychiatric hospital agrees to a match and the possibility to commit a man who has no mental problems.

I bet if Shaw loses then they will just copy the angle when Flair was committed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFiVAoIIm8M

strobogo

Banned
Both guys voluntarily signed contracts with TNA, so I would think any mental institution worth its salt would happy take them for treatment.

Top Bottom