• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ar nosurge |OT| – Class__EXPAJA;

This cosmophere is so weird. I've I'm phase 2 and done both of the cosmopheres above for Ion, and still can't get past the quiz. I guess it'll have some more specific trigger later...

If you've done those two levels, you should be clear to do Ion level 1. You're not done with an exam until you're explicitly told that you passed it- you can pass the first three right off the bat, it's the fourth that doesn't unlock until you do the other two levels.

PhleBuster

Neo Member
If you've done those two levels, you should be clear to do Ion level 1. You're not done with an exam until you're explicitly told that you passed it- you can pass the first three right off the bat, it's the fourth that doesn't unlock until you do the other two levels.

Ah, looks like the 3rd exam was passable now, after all. It didn't tell me I passed, but I didn't get the dummy message any more and it worked. Thanks!

Initial impressions:

- glad to have read the summary before (!)

- i'm enjoying the game

- graphics suck

- nice music and battle system

- nay's ass window is lol

The cool thing about having only read Ciel Nosurge is that it is a joy to see these characters in motion and as...well...actual characters.

kiryogi

Banned
Initial impressions:

- glad to have read the summary before (!)

- i'm enjoying the game

- graphics suck

- nice music and battle system

- nay's ass window is lol

The cool thing about having only read Ciel Nosurge is that it is a joy to see these characters in motion and as...well...actual characters.

I cannot defend Nay's ass window and feel the same way too about it lol. So this means it's already a ton better than Ar Tonelico 3?

Ar Tonelico 2. I've say it before and will say it again, it's was hands down the best RPG of the PlayStation 2 era. Fantastic songs, battle system and story. That said though, all 5 games make use of some sort of fantasy langauge. Ar Tonelico uses Hymnos, while Surge Concerto uses Keihansoukashi (Pact of the Emotional Song) and REON-4213. But both are in the same universe, EXA_PICO.

But the Surge Concerto series itself is absolutely fantastic too. As many folks have attested, even though they didn't play Ciel nosurge, but having read the summary instead.

On that note though, based off impressions here and elsewhere. Most of the negative ones definitely have to do with the characters not being of any interest. . .and the correlation between these reviews are folks that did not experience Ciel in any form. I don't blame them as they shouldn't be forced to read a summary or anything. But if you really want to enjoy Ar nosurge, you need to experience Ciel nosurge be it in summary form or the game itself. And again can't be said enough, Ciel is a very good read!

Also, here's some reviews out there, posting them regardless good or bad. Let you guys judge for yourself:

http://www.game-over.com/content/2014/10/ar-nosurge-ode-to-an-unborn-star/
http://www.thegamescouts.com/2014/10/ar-nosurge-ode-to-unborn-star-review.html

Finally, from the countdown festival for Ciel nosurge Offline and Ar nosurge plus, special twitter icons!

http://social.gust.co.jp/pc/event/surge/cd_twicon

I can't emphasize enough how true this is, the four days I spent with reading the detailed summary was one of the best gaming related time I had! :D

And I finally beat
Zill
today, this time it wasn't even close and I stomped her :p

Finally beat this game!

I love the setting and ideas behind this game, but the more I think on the plot the more it falls apart. Still, easily the most creative RPG I've ever played and well worth the time.

kiryogi

Banned
Finally beat this game!

I love the setting and ideas behind this game, but the more I think on the plot the more it falls apart. Still, easily the most creative RPG I've ever played and well worth the time.

Super curious, what makes you think it falls apart? Execution? Budget? I've heard similar things before

Hmm how to change costumes? Or when does the game allow you to do so?

Regarding the OST, what is the song that plays in most purification sites called? And the one that resembles a music box playing during "sad" moments?

I think you mean this one?

The Hourglass Doesn't Fall

Super curious, what makes you think it falls apart? Execution? Budget? I've heard similar things before

Well, massive ending spoilers incoming:
I think plenty of people have commented on the problems that plague the game overall. Just as poor pacing, that ass window, and the bad production values. I've been playing JRPGs for a long time so I can tolerate most of that stuff, but I mainly dislike the final phase of the game.

Generally speaking Phase 3 felt the weakest overall. The Sharl vs Human conflict that was driving the plot was very well done, but once it gets resolved it's just a bunch of running back and forth gathering Mcguffins to save the world. Just loses alot of the emotional impact.

I can suspend alot of disbelief, but the ending completely shattered that. I can forgive the convenient "there's a song for every problem" kind of plot that Exapico games like to use. But it's REALLY hard to believe that there happens to be a song that turns a colony ship into a dragon. The final boss fight, where you engage in fisticuffs with the colony ship you were living on, is also conceptually ridiculous. I know they tried to make an epic final boss fight, but there are SO many problems with fighting a space station that I can't even begin. I mean, it BLOWS UP at the end! And somehow everybody's okay at the end? And it's still intact to use to travel to the center of the universe? How do you even hurt a space station?

I also hated Prim's perpetual holding of the idiot ball, but when it was revealed she was controlled by another person I thought that was one of the most amazing plot twists ever and made me appreciate her alot more. It just sucked that you don't really get any closure; give me a dying villain speech at the very least! The other player just disappears at the end with no fanfare.

Also Nelo just accepting that she'll be stuck in the Ar Nosurge universe at the very end just seems odd for her characterization. She's heralded at least two apocalypses trying to get home, so it seems odd that she suddenly cares about people now.

kiryogi

Banned
Well, massive ending spoilers incoming:
I think plenty of people have commented on the problems that plague the game overall. Just as poor pacing, that ass window, and the bad production values. I've been playing JRPGs for a long time so I can tolerate most of that stuff, but I mainly dislike the final phase of the game.

Generally speaking Phase 3 felt the weakest overall. The Sharl vs Human conflict that was driving the plot was very well done, but once it gets resolved it's just a bunch of running back and forth gathering Mcguffins to save the world. Just loses alot of the emotional impact.

I can suspend alot of disbelief, but the ending completely shattered that. I can forgive the convenient "there's a song for every problem" kind of plot that Exapico games like to use. But it's REALLY hard to believe that there happens to be a song that turns a colony ship into a dragon. The final boss fight, where you engage in fisticuffs with the colony ship you were living on, is also conceptually ridiculous. I know they tried to make an epic final boss fight, but there are SO many problems with fighting a space station that I can't even begin. I mean, it BLOWS UP at the end! And somehow everybody's okay at the end? And it's still intact to use to travel to the center of the universe? How do you even hurt a space station?

I also hated Prim's perpetual holding of the idiot ball, but when it was revealed she was controlled by another person I thought that was one of the most amazing plot twists ever and made me appreciate her alot more. It just sucked that you don't really get any closure; give me a dying villain speech at the very least! The other player just disappears at the end with no fanfare.

Also Nelo just accepting that she'll be stuck in the Ar Nosurge universe at the very end just seems odd for her characterization. She's heralded at least two apocalypses trying to get home, so it seems odd that she suddenly cares about people now.

Can't say much to the above, just that Song Magic is that amazing. Like forming land in Metafalica. But it's pretty much up to how much you can suspend your disbelief as you said. While I don't think Vanguards normally can do much, Ion and Casty had some really apocalyptic song magic at the end if you think about it. Ar Ciel F features you having the ability to crash the Ar Ciel into the target, and resetting time to prevent said event happening outside of the damage dealt. Tell me that isn't ridic haha. And Ion's epic Dragon mecha of the 7th apocalypse was something else to. ANYWAY! This is just conjecture and jesting at this point though.

I don't think it was that off for Nelo personally, she had a change of heart originally in Ciel thanks to Casty and gang prior until Revelt betrayed her on humanity's behalf.

So this means it's already a ton better than Ar Tonelico 3?

No contest, really. Ar nosurge is really enjoyable and the combat, while not really deep, gets the job done and is quite fun. Plus dat battle theme. Qoga's battle system is badly executed and simply not fun at all.

The story...phew. It's certainly enjoyable but it is baffling how much it relies on ciel nosurge. The beginning of Ion's first section wouldn't have made a lick of a sense to me if I had ignored the summary of ciel. In a way I pity those who are not aware that Ar is a sequel and you are supposed to know about the stuff the characters talk about. I'm not a fan of how TK has handled the series in the west. It is possible to follow the story without prior knowledge but you have to stay super focused on the terms and the short explanations the characters provide.

It also shows that the budget of this game is about $5. No dealbreaker at all but it took some time to get used to personally. Still better than Qoga which i played yesterday and that beginning alone is vomit inducing in every respect.

Can someone give me a little help with the second stage/part of Ion's Lv1 Genomtrics (sp?)?

I'm able to get the gem by picking that one 50 DP choice, but when it switches over to that outdoors area no matter which series of choices I seem to pick it boots me out of it and the gem's spot is still grayed-out.

Unlike the first one which I was able to complete with that 1,000 DP choice.

EDIT: Also, amusingly after trying to complete that part above, I ran into a "DUMMY" text window right after it booted me out. Wondering if that was another TK localization goof and something else was supposed to be there.

PhleBuster

Neo Member
Can someone give me a little help with the second stage/part of Ion's Lv1 Genomtrics (sp?)?

I'm able to get the gem by picking that one 50 DP choice, but when it switches over to that outdoors area no matter which series of choices I seem to pick it boots me out of it and the gem's spot is still grayed-out.

EDIT: Also, amusingly after trying to complete that part above, I ran into a "DUMMY" text window right after it booted me out. Wondering if that was another TK localization goof and something else was supposed to be there.
There are lots of... oddities in that one (including that "dummy" text). You have an extra option added "sometime later" (I have no idea when it appears, one time I visited it just was there) that lets you complete the test without
picking the Kiss Ion option that ends it instantly. "What's wrong?" -> "Sorry, I don't know" -> "I'll be with you, no matter what". If you don't have the option, just come back later.

I just did the "hidden" ending and Jesus Fucking CHRIST

I do find it amusing and appropriate that just like in the first game,
Shurelia's ending has you ditching the girl you were with all along at the absolute last minute. Poor thing is destined to either have her heart broken or be That Girl.

Though I really think that
Cass should have straight-up called out that the only reason why Delta was doing it was the Interdimend control, looked straight at the camera, and said "WHAT THE FUCK THIS ISN'T FUNNY STOP TURNING MY BOYFRIEND INTO A PEDOPHILE"

There are lots of... oddities in that one (including that "dummy" text). You have an extra option added "sometime later" (I have no idea when it appears, one time I visited it just was there) that lets you complete the test without
picking the Kiss Ion option that ends it instantly. "What's wrong?" -> "Sorry, I don't know" -> "I'll be with you, no matter what". If you don't have the option, just come back later.

Guessing maybe I have to go back later then after I've done some of the other ones as the
I don't know
answer instantly boots me out then.

Thanks for the help. :)

kiryogi

Banned
I just did the "hidden" ending and Jesus Fucking CHRIST

I do find it amusing and appropriate that just like in the first game,
Shurelia's ending has you ditching the girl you were with all along at the absolute last minute. Poor thing is destined to either have her heart broken or be That Girl.

Though I really think that
Cass should have straight-up called out that the only reason why Delta was doing it was the Interdimend control, looked straight at the camera, and said "WHAT THE FUCK THIS ISN'T FUNNY STOP TURNING MY BOYFRIEND INTO A PEDOPHILE"

Fun fact for today, Delta would be known as Shurelia's first heart break.

The DUMMY text window is intentional and trying to give you a giant hint to come back later.

Alright, just finished the game- twice, actually, once for Delta/Cass and once for the Ion/Earthes end. Just need to start a new game and replay up to the first Earthes sequence to finish off the Platinum.

I haven't gone for the
endings where you don't make reincarnation, though. Are they significantly different, or do you just have a scene where Delta/Cass mourn Prim instead of being happy that she comes back?

Speaking of which,
who is the person controlling Prim supposed to be? Just some asshole treating it like a game? There were a couple of lines that implied that their actual endgame was recovering Nelo, almost as if they were hired to do it, but maybe I was just interpreting it wrong.

Alright, just finished the game- twice, actually, once for Delta/Cass and once for the Ion/Earthes end. Just need to start a new game and replay up to the first Earthes sequence to finish off the Platinum.

I haven't gone for the
endings where you don't make reincarnation, though. Are they significantly different, or do you just have a scene where Delta/Cass mourn Prim instead of being happy that she comes back?

Speaking of which,
who is the person controlling Prim supposed to be? Just some asshole treating it like a game? There were a couple of lines that implied that their actual endgame was recovering Nelo, almost as if they were hired to do it, but maybe I was just interpreting it wrong.

I think it was mentioned
that Delta first got hooked up to Interdimend after he was kidnapped by the Genomirai Church after a botched infiltration attempt. Nay and Sarly later messed with that same Interdimened to make set the "goals" of the game so that their side ends up benefiting. Since Prim was hanging out with Nelo during the two year time skip, and thus by proxy Zill, it stands to reason that's when she was hooked up to Interdimend. The person controlling Prim was likely some random gamer whose "goal" in their Interdimend was to send Nelo home.

kiryogi

Banned
First glowing review...! From digitallydownloaded...Same folks that interviews Tsuchiya, but hey, take what you can get.

http://www.digitallydownloaded.net/2014/10/review-ar-nosurge-ode-to-unborn-star.html

Ar nosurge: Ode to an Unborn Star, with a stunningly complex, funny, and emotive sci-fi narrative that glows with the themes of companionship, communication, and cooperation, understands a thing or two about making and maximizing close bonds, whether said bonds are face-to-face or maintained through versatile channels. With more heart and charisma than any game I’ve jammed my thumbs playing thus far this year, Ar nosurge had me sympathising with my in-game comrades to the point where I felt less like a useful observer and more like a vital participant. In other, manlier words, I actually became a part of its universe.

Alas, roaming this brilliant universe can come with a price, and for some, but definitely not all, fans of JRPGs that price will be the boundless amounts of dialogue and minutiae, and a combat system that, in the first chapter, appears to be a bit too basic and underutilised. It's possible that some people will give up on this game too early to fully come to appreciate it.

More comments on the ending:

In retrospect it sucks that such a good song is used for
the Prim fight, which is so damn short, meanwhile the song used for the Delta/Cass Soreil fight is the lamest song in Ar* final battle history. The Ion/Earthes Soreil fight music makes up for it, but still.

Dunan

Ar Tonelico 2. I've say it before and will say it again, it's was hands down the best RPG of the PlayStation 2 era. Fantastic songs, battle system and story. That said though, all 5 games make use of some sort of fantasy langauge. Ar Tonelico uses Hymnos, while Surge Concerto uses Keihansoukashi (Pact of the Emotional Song) and REON-4213. But both are in the same universe, EXA_PICO.

But the Surge Concerto series itself is absolutely fantastic too. As many folks have attested, even though they didn't play Ciel nosurge, but having read the summary instead.

Thanks for this detailed response; I had feared that the ideal entry game would be a Japanese PS2 game, the one platform that would be difficult for me to access now (I live in Japan but have a NA PS2) despite being obtainable in any shop for the equivalent of about $20 or less.

Ciel Nosurge seems to be getting an "offline" alternate version that you can play solo without interacting with people on OSN. I might just play this first and then snag Ar Tonelico 2 next time I'm in the USA.

I just listened to a whole bunch of music from the multi-disc Krut Hymmneth compilation ($160 on CD!) on YouTube; pretty impressive.

The Keihan Soukaishi language looks like it was inspired by Korean writing, and looking at some examples, I can't figure out the principles of where the letters are positioned. I think this is the language I want to delve into!

Aaaand Platinum achieved. My first one, actually, since usually I don't give enough fucks to 100% games (the only other one I put a serious attempt into was Ar Tonelico 3, which I proceeded to give up on after failing at the "get all treasure chests" trophy.)

In a way I guess it was kind of appropriate that I turned the system off immediately after refusing to help Ion. No means no, woman!

Vylash

I'm reviewing this game as well, and I gotta say I really enjoyed my time with it, my GOTY unless something crazy happens

It's pretty funny how going to synthesize some stuff in this game can lead to an hour and a half of conversation.

Ahaha yeah right? :D Coming from Ciel the two things that interested me the most in Ar Nosurge are the characters and the story not the gameplay so in this case I'm really happy about conversing so long with all the characters :)

Dunan

One more question from a newcomer: there seem to be three versions of Ciel Nosurge: a regular one (cheap now), a "Reincarnation" version which contains some DLC (also rather cheap), and an "Offline" version which just came out (and is near full price). That last one can be played without connecting to PSN, I imagine, but what other differences are there between then, and is there any reason to pick one over the others? I think I'm going to make Ciel my entry point into this world.

kiryogi

Banned
Get Offline If you can. It's not binded down by most of the real time restrictions. I personally don't know how long it would take to complete with all chapters. But the original was released in episodes over the last two years. Offline also features some fasy forward elements that are a HUGE time saver.

I've finished phase 1 over the weekend and feel a bit...bored. The story seems interesting enough but the delivery leaves something to be desired. Too much text with too little substsance. And the writing is odd in some places

'Oh hey Ion, nice seeing you. Let's fight! Whoopsie, fell down the platform? Too bad, cya.'

And then they let Zill and Nelo escape without any reason. Multiple times iirc

The art ranges from good to atrocious. While the cast is pretty good, characters like Zill, Prim an Nelo can die in a fire. Really inconsistent. And don't get me started on the sharl design.

I still want to like this game. I'll put it on hold for now and finish Xillia 2 first (which is really good tbh)

Dunan

Get Offline If you can. It's not binded down by most of the real time restrictions. I personally don't know how long it would take to complete with all chapters. But the original was released in episodes over the last two years. Offline also features some fasy forward elements that are a HUGE time saver.

Thanks for that. Will stump up the cash for Offline then.

One more question from a newcomer: there seem to be three versions of Ciel Nosurge: a regular one (cheap now), a "Reincarnation" version which contains some DLC (also rather cheap), and an "Offline" version which just came out (and is near full price). That last one can be played without connecting to PSN, I imagine, but what other differences are there between then, and is there any reason to pick one over the others? I think I'm going to make Ciel my entry point into this world.

RE:incarnation is an updated package of the online version.

I presume you can read Japanese, so I'll just take this from 2ch thread.

新規向けテンプレ(2014/8/2現在)
・シナリオだけ見たい場合は・・・
ベスト版+イオンTALKパック+試練編セット+崩壊編セット(+お好みでレストア追加)+
EXTRAシナリオパックVol.2+セカイパック Vol.9、10、11、12、ターミネイトパック+パッチ1.27

・とにかく配信中全ての場合は・・・
ベスト版+フルアップデートPlusセット※+イオンTALKパック+EXTRAシナリオパックVol.1、Vol.2+
セカイパック Vol.9、10、11、12、ターミネイトパック+スポーツウェア+
ハピネスウェット+読書日和+カノン&ねりこパック+ネイ&キャスパック+パッチ1.27
※シャールで修復したい場合はフルアップデートセットを購入する

・RE:Incarnationと無印版どっちを買えばいいの?
RE:Incarnationは無印版と比べるとアンバサダー、試練編2,3,4幕、新品及びDL版なら崩壊編1幕が追加されています。
値段に直すと2500円であり、同じ物を揃えた場合無印版がパッケージ版なら1100円、DL版なら600円安くなります。

ただし、パッケージ版は店舗によって定価より安く販売されている事があるので、
新品のRE:Incarnationのパッケージ版が6100円以下なら定価のBest版よりも、5700円以下ならDL版よりもそれぞれ安くなります。
また無印パッケージ版が定価より安い場合も多いのでその場合は無印パッケージ版に2500円上乗せした値段と比較して判断して下さい。

I think this section has a pretty good summary.

I heard that Offline has a more convenient interface (
I also have the vanilla Ciel, but too lazy to check or proceed far enough to check what they mean
). They also sell HymP for Offline: 500 HymP for 50 JPY, discounts at higher bundles. You can probably think of HymP as an in-game currency - it's also used for the time-skip feature (1 minu = 1 HymP).

I also remember someone saying that Sharl's Nest looking "lonely" since you can't see other people's or something. That's all I remember from the top of my head.

Restore Packs (for online only) are "full repair" for stuff (each chapter already fully repaired instead of you doing it).

Some "event"(?) DLCs (aka the Planetarium and the Cafe thing ones) are exclusive to those who have downloaded them. You need to have downloaded them prior before you can download them as DLC for Offline version. If you're on the PS Store and see a seemingly empty section(引継ぎパック), this would be it.

The mizukagami first print bonus DLC (for Offline) is/will be available for online in Dengeki magazine, I think. I don't think the Twin Agent Limited Edition exclusive DLC will be.

Oh, and if you want to play both vanilla and Offline, you should be careful, since Offline requires manual saving while vanilla does not.

tl;dr = get Offline, unless you want 100% DLCsthey probably no longer available.

The fanart wallpapers will be pulled out of PS Store soon (in a few hours). They aren't important, but hey...

P.S. If you get it digital, prepare for onslaught. ;____;
Oh, and don't view them until you finish the chapter. They contain spoilers.

I am now in control of
Ion and Earthes
and whoa you all weren't kidding, if I wouldn't have read Ciel I would be pretty lost now but either way reading Ciel was awesome, I can't say this often enough! :p

And now that I arrived on the World Map of
Sharlanoia... this... this can't be right... seeing the exterior view of the Soreil now what in all heavens... o.o It has half a planet attached to it?! I'm blown away, how does this work, I mean if the Soreil is that big, where was it all the time on Ra Ciela and if they had the technology to build something like this how couldn't they fix the sun? :eek:
I'm even more stoked to play on and find out more now! :D

Lusankya

Kanon's and Nay's Purification Add-Ons are available on the (EU) PSN store. It's funny how Nay's purification outfit is actually less revealing than her normal outfit... :D

Btw. the description implies you get Nay and Kanon as playable characters or can you only chat with them?

If they are playable should you get them before you finish the game?

Dunan

RE:incarnation is an updated package of the online version.

I presume you can read Japanese, so I'll just take this from 2ch thread.

Thank you for some more helpful advice! It looks like Re:Incarnation is just a compilation of all the (overpriced) DLC that came out over the last year or two. I really have no desire to purchase DLC for this game (or even, for that matter, connect my Vita to my rarely-used J-PSN account), and most of my Vita time is on the train or when otherwise traveling, so the more "offline" it is, the better. I think I'll hunt aronud for places selling "Offline" cheaply and then pick that up.

I did find myself buying an "Arnosurge Player's Guide" at the bookstore yesterday; some very nice illustrations of the world and the characters, plus interviews with the creators, plus two glorious pages about the Keihansoukaishi language... can't wait to finally see it in the game!

kiryogi

Banned
Kanon's and Nay's Purification Add-Ons are available on the (EU) PSN store. It's funny how Nay's purification outfit is actually less revealing than her normal outfit... :D

Btw. the description implies you get Nay and Kanon as playable characters or can you only chat with them?

If they are playable should you get them before you finish the game?

They're just for purification chats, more fun little character chatter.

God, that makes me really hopeful TKE pick it up at some point =/

(or even, for that matter, connect my Vita to my rarely-used J-PSN account)

I did find myself buying an "Arnosurge Player's Guide" at the bookstore yesterday; some very nice illustrations of the world and the characters, plus interviews with the creators, plus two glorious pages about the Keihansoukaishi language... can't wait to finally see it in the game!

I'm not sure if it has to go through to PSN, but I suggest that you do link your GustID account. It gives you 50% more HymP bonus, which is pretty nice. It's just a one time-thing (probably).

I wasted my Experience Time. It popped up after sending energy of my last Sharl. ;___;

Man, walking into stores and buying shit. My biggest gripe for being into Japanese stuff and not being in Japan. :(

Dunan

I'm not sure if it has to go through to PSN, but I suggest that you do link your GustID account. It gives you 50% more HymP bonus, which is pretty nice. It's just a one time-thing (probably).

Regarding the PSN -- one last question! I bought the game and popped the cartridge in my Vita, and the loading screen is full of links to free downloads such as voice data, and when I click on them, the Vita tells me that there's nothing to load. Presumably it's going to the US store because the memory card I've got in there is associated with that account (my main one).

Should I just get a small extra memory card and associate that one with my alternate Japanese PSN account, or is there a way to get all that download-only content while still on the North American PSN? I'd prefer the latter, if possible.

And is there an official Ciel Nosurge topic so I can stop cluttering this one up? ^_^

Should I just get a small extra memory card and associate that one with my alternate Japanese PSN account, or is there a way to get all that download-only content while still on the North American PSN? I'd prefer the latter, if possible.

There's no longer any way to have Japanese DLC/addons on your NA account, so you'd have to get another memory card.

Gust has been putting stuff as DLC a lot lately, due to (presumably) Sony still not producing Vita gamecards more than 4gB. One of the Atelier Plus's "full" game is around 6gB - 3gB for the main game, and another 3gB for alternate BGMs.

kiryogi

Banned
Regarding the PSN -- one last question! I bought the game and popped the cartridge in my Vita, and the loading screen is full of links to free downloads such as voice data, and when I click on them, the Vita tells me that there's nothing to load. Presumably it's going to the US store because the memory card I've got in there is associated with that account (my main one).

And is there an official Ciel Nosurge topic so I can stop cluttering this one up? ^_^

Yeah you probably need at least another 4 gigs or so for the additional voice data. At least they don't makeyou pay for it. And it's perfectly fine to be using this topic for Ciel. This could probably be considered the surge concerto OT. I'll be starting Ciel this weekend I hope. Jusy waiting for it on the mail.

Dunan

There's no longer any way to have Japanese DLC/addons on your NA account, so you'd have to get another memory card.

Can't download them, then sign in with a NA account like you can on the PS3?

(So far the best guide to multi-regaional functionality on the Vita is this from Kotaku: http://kotaku.com/5983578/how-to-play-japanese-vita-games-on-your-non-japanese-vita)

I've played plenty of Japanese PSP and Vita games, but have never had to download anything or connect to the PSN on a handheld before. This is a little disappointing.

Gust has been putting stuff as DLC a lot lately, due to (presumably) Sony still not producing Vita gamecards more than 4gB. One of the Atelier Plus's "full" game is around 6gB - 3gB for the main game, and another 3gB for alternate BGMs.

That's unfortunate, and it looks like the account/memory card situation only makes it worse.

Not that it's that big a deal, but I do like having all my trophies in one place. Meh, these 'Surge' games look like fun, so I'll just play them and not worry about the trophies.

Not gonna lie, I initially found the games low-budget production value to be off putting initially but eventually got used to it once I started sinking more time into it.

I'm actually amazed with the difference in production between this and the atelier series, which I already consider entertaining low budget games.

That being said, enjoying it and so glad I spent a good portion of the past week reading the Ciel nosurge summary. I can't imagine enjoying the game as much without it...

I'm just really worried if TK is going to ever going to stop releasing Gust titles since sales for this and Shallie seem lackluster :/.

Stuart444

I'm just really worried if TK is going to ever going to stop releasing Gust titles since sales for this and Shallie seem lackluster :/.

Well in the west, sales must be okayish considering they are releasing Ayesha+ so I wouldn't worry just yet. (I am very much looking forward to Gusts efforts on the PS4 so I bloody hope their titles keep releasing).

Anyway I've just started the game the other day, pretty early on but battle system seems fun as does the Genometrics stuff.

Pretty sure I'm close to the end of
Chapter 2
, as one side already got an Episode Locked.

I swear, once you start getting the better equipment/gems it becomes trivial to get 20,000+ DP in a matter of minutes (assuming you switch down to normal difficulty to do so). Not that I'm complaining, though.

Interested to see how the final boss music turns out after hearing the music from the Maternal Overseer fight. That track in particular was great.

All in all this is probably one of the few JRPGs in the past few years since Nier that really clicked with me. Guessing it's a mix of the story + VN aspects and that the battles get out your way easily so you can get back to the story/VN/crafting aspects that make up the meat of the game.

EDIT: Also wondering if TK is planning on releasing that GS-only DLC like they did with the Atelier ones a while back which were split up between retailers but eventually were all released on PSN. Was tempted to see if eBay had any extra codes, but all I saw were the LE copies posted on there.

Top Bottom