• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ar nosurge |OT| – Class__EXPAJA;

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
I'm about 10 hours in and having lots of fun so far. I'm keeping it on Hard while progressing through new content and then I bump it up to Veteran to do my grinding in previously-visited areas. I had been playing through on Veteran at first, but got clobbered at the usual boss and didn't want to have to go through replaying segments like that every time I ran into a hard boss. A quick fix for that would be for them to add a "lower difficulty and retry" option when you die in combat.

I'm enjoying the Synthesis content. I can see why people would be annoyed since it all arrives at once - it seems like they meant to have some delays in there or something and ran out of programming time. Feels silly to get all these scenes back to back just by opening and closing the menu in the same store.

It seems like the sync is off by a beat in many of the synthesis dances. The most obvious case is the one with the claps - you hear the clap sound, then they do the clap animation on the next beat. I see there are some mouth movements for singing which isn't present, so maybe the issue's only in the English version. I'll try doing my next synthesis with it set to Japanese audio to see if it's the same.

The dialog options available as Earthes get pretty crazy sometimes, lol. Do they affect your relationships at all, or have any other lasting impact like possible endings? I feel like picking all the troll choices now just to see these weird reactions play out. It's like they built one normal "good guy" tree and then the other choices came from Twitch chat or something. (Beavis: hhehehe, "
eating
")

Welp i played last night and instead of moving on with the story i spend my time speaking to sharky and nay , get more events , items to craft and so on

now i'm scared i'm too strong for the battles.. does difficulty affect the rank ?( in battle )

I'm about 10 hours in and having lots of fun so far. I'm keeping it on Hard while progressing through new content and then I bump it up to Veteran to do my grinding in previously-visited areas. I had been playing through on Veteran at first, but got clobbered at the usual boss and didn't want to have to go through replaying segments like that every time I ran into a hard boss. A quick fix for that would be for them to add a "lower difficulty and retry" option when you die in combat.

Yah, I so wish that the game had a way to let you skip the cutscenes when you die. One of the few nitpicky faults that I've found with the game...

Dunan

Also been really enjoying Ciel nosurge. . .Maybe I'm new to these life sims such as love plus, but the amalgamation of mechanics from here and there make for a rather engaging experience. The backgrounds are gorgeous too. It's really interesting as you're repairing Ion's memories seeing past and present to the different areas of Ra Ciela, really bringing it to life. I honestly don't know how they'd bring this over without absolutely butchering it or something. For importers, let it be known even for Offline, you need a JP account for the full experience and as mentioned earlier, at least 6 gigs free even with the game card itself. I mean I felt the same way with Ar nosurge too and we got it, but Ciel is just a whole 'nother can of worms. Like, I'm sitting here in bed with Ion and having pillow talk with her, asked her to sing a little lullaby and she does. Then asked her about the book she's been reading, and seriously, she goes full on in very lengthy chatter about this book. The amount of voice and interaction is just, amazing and I can see as something being a huge obstacle to localization, unless they go JP audio only or cut it out. . . Boy would the latter be horrible.

Was about to report on my first few hours with Ciel, but you took the words right out of my mouth! This is a weird game, and tries to be many things at once, but is still fun.

In the very beginning when all the player does is talk with Ion and "touch" her, I was worried that this was going to be some kind of creepy waifu game (OK, it still is, to some extent), but once you get into her 'dream world' and start unlocking memories and repairing neighborhoods, it becomes a lot more fun.

(If it's a spoiler of some kind, feel free not to answer, but I'm afraid I might have missed it; what exactly is represented by the dilapidated, abandoned streets and houses that you see before your Sharls 'repair' them? Are those views metaphors for Ion's inability to remember, or were these places ever looking like that? The story that you gradually remember seems to imply that the lively, beautiful versions of these places are the 'true' ones.)

The dialogue can drag at times -- not least because, so far, the characters are juvenile stereotypes -- and I found myself skipping over lots of it. The music is beautiful and the art style is amazing, so I'll take the good with the bad.

And in Offline you can play as fast as you like: completing restorations earns you far more Hym Points that you would consume by speeding up the clock, so I've been speeding things up willy-nilly.

Just reached Chapter 2. After the Japanese town / space elevator neighborhood combo, I can't wait to see what this new area is like!

Also on the finale further explained by Aquagon:

By the way, I can explain the things with the final battle: Class:EXSPHERE_NOSURGE; isn't used to transform Soreil into that monster.

Instead, that was done through a REON-4213 command that served to fuse it with the Maternal Overseer and feed it the energy from the...

Spherial Rings that was going to be used for Ra Ciel Reincarnation. Also, Exsphere nosurge is used there just rip out Ion's soul.

So what you're doing in that battle isn't destroying Soreil: it's beating out the Maternal Overseer out of it while you using the energy
aquagon

(draining it from the monster) to recreate Ra Ciela.

I don't think the problem with the final boss is its origins or the circumstances in which you fight it. I am a master at suspending disbelief, and I was able to do so for the entirety of the game.
I can accept a song turning the Soriel into a dragon thing. But expecting me to accept that you fight a space station with laser tonfas and handguns is just too insane. How do you fight something that by all rights should exert its own gravitational pull?

Looks like no new DLC this week in NA, from a quick glance at the PS Store.

Hoping that TK didn't perms-exclusive that GS DLC, considering IIRC the LE orders didn't have it included.

kiryogi

Banned
Was about to report on my first few hours with Ciel, but you took the words right out of my mouth! This is a weird game, and tries to be many things at once, but is still fun.

In the very beginning when all the player does is talk with Ion and "touch" her, I was worried that this was going to be some kind of creepy waifu game (OK, it still is, to some extent), but once you get into her 'dream world' and start unlocking memories and repairing neighborhoods, it becomes a lot more fun.

(If it's a spoiler of some kind, feel free not to answer, but I'm afraid I might have missed it; what exactly is represented by the dilapidated, abandoned streets and houses that you see before your Sharls 'repair' them? Are those views metaphors for Ion's inability to remember, or were these places ever looking like that? The story that you gradually remember seems to imply that the lively, beautiful versions of these places are the 'true' ones.)

The dialogue can drag at times -- not least because, so far, the characters are juvenile stereotypes -- and I found myself skipping over lots of it. The music is beautiful and the art style is amazing, so I'll take the good with the bad.

And in Offline you can play as fast as you like: completing restorations earns you far more Hym Points that you would consume by speeding up the clock, so I've been speeding things up willy-nilly.

Just reached Chapter 2. After the Japanese town / space elevator neighborhood combo, I can't wait to see what this new area is like!

You're correct about the metaphor , but it's still sort of a neat past/present kinda presentation. The backdrops for Manjusara alone are gorgeous. And maybe it's creepy, but game is meant to represent you having built a relationship with this girl for 2 years before going into Ar nosurge. And quite frankly, all the engagement and interaction is really mind blowing.

I don't think the problem with the final boss is its origins or the circumstances in which you fight it. I am a master at suspending disbelief, and I was able to do so for the entirety of the game.
I can accept a song turning the Soriel into a dragon thing. But expecting me to accept that you fight a space station with laser tonfas and handguns is just too insane. How do you fight something that by all rights should exert its own gravitational pull?

I think I mentioned before but, I imagine it's the Song Magic you use that ultimately defeats the thing and Ion/Earthes are more so just...throwing pebbles at it until you get the charge :shrug:

So is the rest of the DLC never coming to NA?

If it's like that Atelier DLC, it's probably a month or so after release before it goes up as usually they've stated if a DLC is perma-exclusive. At least from what I can remember.

That and TK America seems to take forever to do stuff that isn't DoA or Musou games.

kiryogi

Banned
Wow, that
Shurelia
ending was such a troll ending, not to mention disturbing.

CONGRATS! You just forsake your childhood girlfriend AND THE WORLD to be with Shurelia. You are the most horrible person ever. Fun note, Delta is considered Shurelia's first heartbreak.

CONGRATS! You just forsake your childhood girlfriend AND THE WORLD to be with Shurelia. You are the most horrible person ever. Fun note, Delta is considered Shurelia's first heartbreak.

Only reason I did that ending was for the trophy. Still not sure if it was worth...that. >.>

Wow, that
Shurelia
ending was such a troll ending, not to mention disturbing.

Did you notice how it mirrors the end of the first game where
Shurelia's ending involves you basically abandoning everything at the last minute to be with her?

I feel kinda bad for
Shurelia, she's destined to either be That Girl or have her heart broken.

For Ciel nosurge readers, blackraen has finally posted the True End/finale to Ciel nosurge.

http://www.unit03.net/view/Ciel_nosurge/Summary/The_True_End_of_Ciel_nosurge

Finally! I've been waiting to read this, I wonder how blackraen felt when he got to the end to just have his save file die on him. I'm glad he finally finished his Ciel nosurge summary.

I've had no time to play Ar nosurge but I want to play it before Bayonetta 2 drops, so hopefully I can start this weekend.

Almost done with the game, just need to do into the final area and beat the final boss now (been busy the last two days so no time to play any games).

On a side note, does anyone know if there's a large wallpaper-sized version of that Ion/Earthes art in the OT header (and also the one used in the LE version's box) with just the image and nothing else on it? Wanting to use it a as a desktop background in Yosemite but I can't seem to find a larger version of it that doesn't look crappy on my 27in iMac.

kiryogi

Banned
Considering I made that banner I may or may not have an amazing 1920x1080 version of it :D

Ask and ye shall receive sorta. It's the closest you'll get anyway.
ibfWZG3W4Da058.jpg

On a different note, Ciel nosurge Soundtrack > Ar nosurge Soundtrack. I didn't realize that Shikata was actually the sound director for Ciel. It's just a league abovet Ar nosurge, which is no slouch itself.

Considering I made that banner I may or may not have an amazing 1920x1080 version of it :D

Ask and ye shall receive sorta. It's the closest you'll get anyway.

On a different note, Ciel nosurge Soundtrack > Ar nosurge Soundtrack. I didn't realize that Shikata was actually the sound director for Ciel. It's just a league abovet Ar nosurge, which is no slouch itself.

Thanks! Works quite nicely with OS X 10.10's new Dark Mode skin. :)

Not entirely related to Ar nosurge, but figured it might be better asking here than on the dead message board for the game on GameFAQs.

Was wanting to play through Ar tonelico 1 (and eventually 2 & 3) later this year. I heard there's a "pick one heroine or the other which alters the events thereafter" kind of deal to encourage replayability.

Is there one choice in particular that would be better if I was just wanting to get the gist of the story? If AT2/3 also do the same thing, my plan was to go through each to get what I needed out of the story and then replay the other divergent points. (Mainly for time reasons as I want to get the story out of it, but have other games I want to play alongside them.)

Is that a good idea, or is it better to put in the extra hours to do the other routes before moving on? If going back is alright, is there any routes in particular I should do the first time or is picking whichever route I want fine?

kiryogi

Banned

Not entirely related to Ar nosurge, but figured it might be better asking here than on the dead message board for the game on GameFAQs.

Was wanting to play through Ar tonelico 1 (and eventually 2 & 3) later this year. I heard there's a "pick one heroine or the other which alters the events thereafter" kind of deal to encourage replayability.

Is there one choice in particular that would be better if I was just wanting to get the gist of the story? If AT2/3 also do the same thing, my plan was to go through each to get what I needed out of the story and then replay the other divergent points. (Mainly for time reasons as I want to get the story out of it, but have other games I want to play alongside them.)

Is that a good idea, or is it better to put in the extra hours to do the other routes before moving on? If going back is alright, is there any routes in particular I should do the first time or is picking whichever route I want fine?

Not particularly. Sorta? Pick the girl you like the most honestly. Although, I do sort of suggest Misha over Aurica in AT1 due to her events plus you get the see further meaning of "Star Singer". I'll say though that my girl choices were Misha in AT1 and Luca in AT2. I can't say either one for AT2, but I feel like Misha was a heavier choice for AT1. Thing is, the route changes are very early on and basically going on their own path until re-converging later on. It's not a bad idea honestly, either path still gives you enough of the story to manage.

Beat the game on both routes tonight (and bumped the difficulty up to Veteran to get the Artificial Flower trophy for the Platinum).

They wrapped up the ending pretty well on both ends, all things considered. Sucks that the Ion getting back to her world and communicating with the player scene got nixed due to Ciel not being localized, though.

So I'm guessing that anime cutscene of all the characters on the new Ra Ciela was meant to take place prior to Cass/Ion signing the song in their respective endings, as either way Earthes would have lost his connection?

I did like how the background changed during the final sequence of boss fights. Made for a nice bookend fight-wise.

Now hopefully Tecmo Koei releases that Gamestop DLC on the PS Store sometime in the near future so I can do a 100% run.

On a side note, noticed that Ben Bateman worked on the editing portion as freelancing. If that's the Aksys VLR Bateman, interesting to see him working on this game. Guess I didn't notice him after the
Shurelia
ending due to still being all WTF after witnessing that ending.

Not particularly. Sorta? Pick the girl you like the most honestly. Although, I do sort of suggest Misha over Aurica in AT1 due to her events plus you get the see further meaning of "Star Singer". I'll say though that my girl choices were Misha in AT1 and Luca in AT2. I can't say either one for AT2, but I feel like Misha was a heavier choice for AT1. Thing is, the route changes are very early on and basically going on their own path until re-converging later on. It's not a bad idea honestly, either path still gives you enough of the story to manage.

I'll take your suggestion for AT1. :)

Granted I only played AT1/2, but I suggest avoiding plans altogether. It's not like there's a clear "main" route in these games. Just go with whichever character connects with you, it makes it a more memorable game and a better experience than forcing yourself to choose one route in advance.

On another note Ar Nosurge made me realize how much I missed the raw creativity of the series. I skipped AT3, but I keep wanting to go back to it, since it's the only localized GUST game I haven't played. For those of you in this topic who have played AT3, is it bad enough to sour the memory of the other games in the series?

kiryogi

Banned
Granted I only played AT1/2, but I suggest avoiding plans altogether. It's not like there's a clear "main" route in these games. Just go with whichever character connects with you, it makes it a more memorable game and a better experience than forcing yourself to choose one route in advance.

On another note Ar Nosurge made me realize how much I missed the raw creativity of the series. I skipped AT3, but I keep wanting to go back to it, since it's the only localized GUST game I haven't played. For those of you in this topic who have played AT3, is it bad enough to sour the memory of the other games in the series?

IMO I enjoyed it despite the purging etc, at the core it's still an AT game with its characters/cosmospheres/songs along with the payoff of also finishing up the Tonelico Saga. Some of the bad endings are actually pretty extreme actually despite execution. It's the gameplay and execution that's often getting the massive hate.

Also regarding AT route advice, that's a good idea too. Should always be whatever girl clicks with you the most.

And yes, I think Tsuchiya is one of the unrivaled minds out there when it comes to creativity, that's really overlooked. He knows his games are designed with a very shoestring budget, and instead crams in as much worldview as you can instead.

Sad reality now that's been a few weeks. No real major publications have reviewed this yet, and at most 5-6 folks here played it. D:

Made me realize though, I should have totally advertised my giveaway on NISA forums, but the thought never crossed my mind.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
So my wife is playing this, and she's struggling trying to find where to get
burst hardening gels.
. Can't find anything on the internet. Can someone here help?

burst hardening gels.

You can buy them at one of the town's shops, though that may be gated by story progress. I think you can also synthesize them with Sarly. Sorry. I don't remember enough to be more precise.

burst hardening gels.

Have you gotten to the Sora area? I remember the drop spots there giving them. But I think a few other areas around there at that point in the game have them as dropable items.

Might depend on how far you are if you can get them as item drops.

kiryogi

Banned
So ran upon this while looking for a super awesome track that I just happened upon in Ciel nosurge.

Akiko Shikata's 2013 LAYLANIA Black & White Concert
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kz-tfrR8F80 - Part 1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4McJOPoDUY - Part 2

I definitely recommend anyone that really enjoys the series hymnos songs as a whole to check it out. She ends up singing songs from both the Tonelico and Surge Concerto series. Although more Concerto.

Some further material, another glowing review, again echoing "For those who’ve awaited a JRPG that hearkens back to the revered PS2 JRPGs of old, this is a song that should be sung."

http://www.gamingunion.net/reviews/ar-nosurge-ode-to-an-unborn-star/

You know, something also more interesting, I've noticed another similar occurrence in reviews also that I haven't noticed personally maybe because I put my 120% into it already, is that this is a series that "the more you put into it, the more you’ll get out of it. "

Some further material, another glowing review, again echoing "For those who’ve awaited a JRPG that hearkens back to the revered PS2 JRPGs of old, this is a song that should be sung."

http://www.gamingunion.net/reviews/ar-nosurge-ode-to-an-unborn-star/

You know, something also more interesting, I've noticed another similar occurrence in reviews also that I haven't noticed personally maybe because I put my 120% into it already, is that this is a series that "the more you put into it, the more you’ll get out of it. "

Glad you liked it, that was my review. :)

Been floating around the ideas for an article regarding how the game (and others like Nier) did things "right", but I noticed when playing the game that it's the "more you put into it" manta especially because the characters don't feel hollow like FFXIII's did. Ar did use character tropes for sure, but in most cases they were subverted or used to throw off the player as the characters grew out of them.

(Article's probably going to be a bit of a long-form one, so it'd probably be a week or two before I'd be finished with it.)

(Spoiler tagging the below in case someone who hasn't finished the game is browsing this thread.)

Side note, but thinking back on the scene when Delta disconnected from Interdimend I've been wondering something. The choices there were more on the dickish side (i.e. "this game is boring", "I won't let you disconnect from me"), whereas the choices when you reconnect were much less so (although IIRC there was an option to be a dick if you had no soul due to the Delta/Cass scene beforehand).

I don't recall Prim going all crazy prior to that scene (it was more of her wanting to help out Nelo I thought). Was Delta originally connected to the "evil" person and they switched over to Prim after that scene? It just seemed odd to me how different the choices were between the two.

Been floating around the ideas for an article regarding how the game (and others like Nier) did things "right", but I noticed when playing the game that it's the "more you put into it" manta especially because the characters don't feel hollow like FFXIII's did. Ar did use character tropes for sure, but in most cases they were subverted or used to throw off the player as the characters grew out of them.

(Article's probably going to be a bit of a long-form one, so it'd probably be a week or two before I'd be finished with it.)

(Spoiler tagging the below in case someone who hasn't finished the game is browsing this thread.)

Side note, but thinking back on the scene when Delta disconnected from Interdimend I've been wondering something. The choices there were more on the dickish side (i.e. "this game is boring", "I won't let you disconnect from me"), whereas the choices when you reconnect were much less so (although IIRC there was an option to be a dick if you had no soul due to the Delta/Cass scene beforehand).

I don't recall Prim going all crazy prior to that scene (it was more of her wanting to help out Nelo I thought). Was Delta originally connected to the "evil" person and they switched over to Prim after that scene? It just seemed odd to me how different the choices were between the two.
I believe you're overthinking this. Delta was controlled by us, the non-evil player. It wouldn't make narrative sense if we were choosing options for the person who controlled Prim. Though I have to say that as a person often detached from the choices made in games, this game does a really good job at presenting cruel choices that I just couldn't take.

I believe you're overthinking this. Delta was controlled by us, the non-evil player. It wouldn't make narrative sense if we were choosing options for the person who controlled Prim. Though I have to say that as a person often detached from the choices made in games, this game does a really good job at presenting cruel choices that I just couldn't take.

Thought that might have been the case, was thinking that idea was probably a stretch.

I guess it could be reasoned by the "player" seeing the events after that and changing their mind thus the different set of choices available during the reconnect.

It was a bit of a mindscrew when the questions happened the first time, I have to admit.

Thought that might have been the case, was thinking that idea was probably a stretch.

I guess it could be reasoned by the "player" seeing the events after that and changing their mind thus the different set of choices available during the reconnect.

It was a bit of a mindscrew when the questions happened the first time, I have to admit.

I found this on Reyvateil's Melody (AT fansite) forum by the guy who did the in depth Ciel-No-Surge summary, and it's more of an explanation of the nature of the "player" in both games. Spoilers obviously.

http://w11.zetaboards.com/Revatail_Hymmne/topic/9163916/66/ (The first post on this page).

But evidently it seems that Earthes is less "you", and more of an aggregate will of humanity type of thing and that you can only choose multiple choice answers because of limitations in the programming. Though I may not be interpreting the post correctly.

kiryogi

Banned
I found this on Reyvateil's Melody (AT fansite) forum by the guy who did the in depth Ciel-No-Surge summary, and it's more of an explanation of the nature of the "player" in both games. Spoilers obviously.

http://w11.zetaboards.com/Revatail_Hymmne/topic/9163916/66/ (The first post on this page).

But evidently it seems that Earthes is less "you", and more of an aggregate will of humanity type of thing and that you can only choose multiple choice answers because of limitations in the programming. Though I may not be interpreting the post correctly.

Not quite, you still make the same multiple choice decisions in Ciel nosurge. Earthes is you, but which it is depends if there was a World Link made, which the West will never get D: But as a whole yes there are other players out there. But the Earthes here that we control is us, the player.

Did you get a chance to read the Ar nosurge proto yet? XD
It's always been technically you, the difference later on though is that Sarly modifies the objectives so that they could win instead. Prim is another player altogether.

(Doing a new post since with all the quoting it would be cumbersome to quote you all.)

Nope, hadn't seen that Proto link yet. I'll take a look at it when I get home from work.

Although with that quick explanation, it does make sense now why the choices were how they were at both points in the game. Was confused at first since the game didn't explain that part too well from what I remember.

kiryogi

Banned
(Doing a new post since with all the quoting it would be cumbersome to quote you all.)

Nope, hadn't seen that Proto link yet. I'll take a look at it when I get home from work.

Although with that quick explanation, it does make sense now why the choices were how they were at both points in the game. Was confused at first since the game didn't explain that part too well from what I remember.

http://ar-ciel.org/genomirai/

It explains the events 6 months prior to the game, a great supplement.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Finished my playthrough with no walkthrough and got a normal ending after about 35 hours, then looked up the endings and finished things off with the best ending with another 5 hours or so. That's an important little detail that I appreciate - it's nice to be able to play through without having to follow a guide and still get to the best ending with a little more work in the end.

Could have been a lot worse, like "soandso must be introverted/masochistic before you trigger the following cutscene, then get to outgoing/sadistic for chapter X, and in order to do that you have to wait to trigger the following Genometrics events and use these responses", etc etc.

IIRC the other two DLCs (not sure if EU got them, I just remember them from the Japanese release) were just the Sarly glasses and the "enhanced physics" ones, right?

I.e. not needed for a second playthrough?

kiryogi

Banned
IIRC the other two DLCs (not sure if EU got them, I just remember them from the Japanese release) were just the Sarly glasses and the "enhanced physics" ones, right?

I.e. not needed for a second playthrough?

I don't think West ever got the enhanced physics. The DLC pack was glasses/no glasses/purification packs.

kiryogi

Banned
LOL true. Nay's outfit is the one game aspect I wish could be changed in post.

Interesting thing enough having seen it now in Ciel, it's about the same level, although in Ciel, she was known as a dancer then. Sooo I dunno, it's consistant at least? D: Lore reasons tho, she doesn't mind it one bit, and cold doesn't affect her either,
Since she's in a Sharls body

Doesn't matter too much to me since I'm going to do a second 100% run anyway, but after installing the two DLCs from yesterday is anyone else locked out of their save files pre-DLC?

I tried loading up my save right before the final boss with the new DLC installed and it gave something along the lines of a "you don't have the necessary DLC installed, going back to main menu" message.

Didn't try my earlier save files so I dunno if it's just that one because of how close to the end it is.

Well euh i'm kinda lost guys

Just met ion and eartes ( as delta & cass ) , i'm supposed to meet kanon , but i HAVE NO IDEA where to go . i went to the temple sin ce the area openned but it was no good . Any help ?

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Well euh i'm kinda lost guys

Just met ion and eartes ( as delta & cass ) , i'm supposed to meet kanon , but i HAVE NO IDEA where to go . i went to the temple sin ce the area openned but it was no good . Any help ?

I think you may need to go to the Sharl road in between the Temple and the Tenmyou (sp) town area.

Top Bottom