• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ar nosurge |OT| – Class__EXPAJA;

Ugh, tried searching this morning and I couldn't find it. I swore it was something along the lines of "better reception that we expected" or something along those lines. If I manage to find it later I'll link to it.

In any case, it had to be a little better than break even as they went through the patch certification process for what was really just some minor text issues (in the grand scheme of things, nothing that absolutely broke the game). I know Sony probably doesn't charge as much for it, but I doubt it's free.

(IIRC, isn't the Vita version basically more costumes/talk/etc. events but nothing major to the actual storyline? Probably would be an easier localization for them in that case.)

I guess I'll wait for news on the plus version then. I hope it holds up well visually, if there's a significant downgrade I'll just go with the PS3 version.

Tried looking for that piece of text again after the last post, but no dice sadly. Wish I could find where I found it before, not sure if maybe I saw it on my iPad and that's why I was having an issue relocating it again.

http://pastebin.com/Drzag8y2
http://pastebin.com/egppBqDr

In any case, seems Tecmo Koei translated everything for the networked-linked Maternal Overseer fight like I was expecting. I wouldn't be shocked if the menu option in the title screen and the routines to allow for the fight to work still exist in the code. Guessing it's like P4 where they translated a bunch of the unused content even though they didn't need to at the very least.

http://pastebin.com/9sWPw8U1

Also looks like they translated the text that occurs if you linked your Ciel nosurge save.

(Really hoping they announce the Vita version next year so we can have access to the costume changing, assuming TK doesn't do a second patch to fix the issue in the PS3 version.)

Just finished platinuming the game and getting the true ending. Took me three months to finish, but really enjoyed it!

That said, anyone happen to know what's in the bonus voice mail that unlocks in Ciel after you finish Ar? I've been looking all over the internet/YT for something but can't find anything....

kiryogi

Banned
Just finished platinuming the game and getting the true ending. Took me three months to finish, but really enjoyed it!

That said, anyone happen to know what's in the bonus voice mail that unlocks in Ciel after you finish Ar? I've been looking all over the internet/YT for something but can't find anything....

You mean the true true ending?

kiryogi

Banned
Same here. Always get chills listening to it due to how well the in-game version syncs up with the action on screen.

Yup same, the opening to Ar nosurge is so powerful and moving because of the synergy between the song and sequence. Really sad to hear about this. I was super excited when I heard she was one of the main vocalist for Ar nosurge. :/

Jiraiza

So finally got Ciel Nosurge out of the way in about two weekends (not a good idea to do) and now started phase 2.

It's pretty fun so far, but I hope I'm not the only one who finds the character interactions to be so jarring, or something. Unless I need to keep playing, I find it weird how nonchalant or apathetic everyone seems to be when Ion finally comes back. It's like, "Oh you're back, whatever." Especially Nay, what with having Ciel end on that tragic note. Oh, and Casty's reaction was weird, too, though Delta or (Turbo) gets a pass since he somehow lost all his memories. Earthes involvement feels... kind of tacked on honestly despite being him in Ciel.

The interactions in Ciel were so good, but in Ar Nosurge, they feel like characters who've never met each other despite their rich history. Maybe it's just because I'm early in the game...

I also find it pretty weird they go and introduce a bunch of characters in the Genometrics despite not being introduced yet, not exactly friendly to people knowledgeable of the prequel, huh?

Anyway, my thoughts so far.

Dunan

Bit of a necrobump, but I finally finished Ciel Nosurge and thought I'd share some thoughts.

This game was quite an experience. The anime atmosphere might be off-putting, and as a man in his 30s I can't see myself playing it in public in the USA, but here in Japan it's doable.

It tries to be a lot of things at once -- a JRPG (it isn't much of one), a dating simulator (you can do that if you like), and a visual novel (it is top-notch on that front), and whichever aspect you focus on, you get some gorgeous artwork and some absolutely stunning, intricately-devised, truly amazing musical pieces.

The music, and the invented languages that it is sung in, is the true star of the show. Nier's OST gets a lot of praise on this front, but (as far as we know) Nier's lyrics are just gibberish. The languages of Ciel Nosurge, on the other hand, make complete internal sense, and take language in a direction that no one would ever expect. Namely, one of the languages tries to make computer commands sing-able -- and, thanks in no small part to the Japanese penchant for inserting epenthetic vowels into consonant clusters, does a wonderful job. The other, more human language is no less beautiful, and with a real grammar having been created for both of them, you can translate what they're saying and see that it makes perfect sense within the story!

I actually tried my hand at translating one of them ("Neptlude") and was impressed from start to finish. The languages were what made me buy the game, and while I was disappointed that we almost never get to see the writing system (which is what pulled me in), the songs were so good that I'm not complaining at all. This is my OST of 2014.

This game also had an item-crafting marathon that makes even Tactics Ogre: LUCT's look like a day at the beach. Every day for weeks you will be having Ion gather materials to build something new. In the end it's all worth it, as you get a bonus chapter that fills in some of the unaddressed parts and looks at things from other perspectives. The regular Chapter 12 ending is perfectly satisfying, though, if you're not willing to go through that long slog.

It doesn't look like this game will get an English translation, but Blackraen's amateur effort, mentioned earlier in this thread, is as good as anything that could be produced professionally. Even with no Japanese, you could easily use that site to follow along while playing the game and opening up locations, watching cut scenes, etc.

Kiryogi, I think you may have deceived me somewhat when you agreed that the abandoned, dilapidated scenes that the player restores to beauty were manifestations of Ion's mind. As I understood the final chapter,
all the humans on the planet left to travel to a new, safer planet (without these destructive Bursts) five thousand years ago, and so (presumably) the abandoned scenes are what these places really look like now, now that that planet has been left behind
. Or am I misunderstanding?

If nobody minds, I'm going to post my translation of one of the songs. I have the OST and bought two of the Genometric Concert CDs; all are fantastic.

And if anyone would like to play this, I'd be happy to sell mine or trade even-up for Ar Nosurge, which I would love to experience in English.

This is an amazing universe that I wish I'd been exposed to sooner. I would love to see them aim for an older, less-otaku audience with their next game.

ayrix

Neo Member
Kiryogi, I think you may have deceived me somewhat when you agreed that the abandoned, dilapidated scenes that the player restores to beauty were manifestations of Ion's mind. As I understood the final chapter,
all the humans on the planet left to travel to a new, safer planet (without these destructive Bursts) five thousand years ago, and so (presumably) the abandoned scenes are what these places really look like now, now that that planet has been left behind
. Or am I misunderstanding?
Ciel is the program Sarly uses to restore Ion's mind (literately crowdsourcing the job to players in our world) , during Ar nosurge's prologue.

The star having gone beserk is due to Ion and Nelo's presence, moving star won't actually fix it.

Ion destroyed Ra Ciela herself, she converted the whole thing into an energy source (the microquasar) to be used to power the teleport to the new planet.
This fails due to Nelo sabotaging it, Ion then wakes up 5000 years later inside the Ar nosurge tube:
This is where Ion's route in Ar nosurge begins.

What's the cheapest option to buy this game? I want to check it out but the prices I'm seeing are above what I'm willing to pay.
If the Vita version comes over it will probably be easier to find cheap down the line.

Arcticfox

The game is currently $20 if you have PS+ during the Golden Week Sale in NA. I jumped at that price immediately. I am currently playing through the Ar Tonelico series so this is great timing.

kiryogi

Banned
A little something I just ran by while playing catch up on the latest surge news.

Only for folks that have finished Ar nosurge

The Other Player

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Hq-gx0UzeU&feature=youtu.be

Blackraen has also took the pleasure of translating Ion's book "Filament Star"

http://www.unit03.net/view/Ciel_nosurge/Filament_Star

More fantastic reading.

This is the book that is referenced during Ion's Genometrics in the game Ar nosurge.

Beginning in late November 2012/early December 2012 players of Ciel nosurge began to be receive conversations from Ion regarding a project she was working, ultimately culminating in the reveal that she had written a book and that Nelico had a way to send it to us, the player.

Gust later indicated that copies of Filament Star would be on sale at Comiket 83 (December 29, 2012), with a general public edition being available through select booksellers and Gust Shop on Jan 13th, 2013. All copies are now long sold out and only occasionally appear on auction and reseller sites as an extremely collectible item.

The book itself comes in a box sleeve with an additional CD case and cover, featuring a spoken foreword from Ion (CV: Ai Kakuma), a full reading of the book, and an afterword.

I've tried to maintain the character of this story, but due to differences between English and Japanese, I had to make an adjustment. This book follows a three part division in how the subject of this written. In the beginning the book very clearly uses the 3rd person subject "the girl", but towards the middle this usage becomes ambiguous and omitted, while at the same time explicitly stating the 2nd person "you" making it sound as if the writer is now using first person.

Towards the end, the implied "I" first person becomes explicit.

I hope you enjoyed it.

- blackraen/apr2015

Azusa

It seems there will be a physical limited edition.

But provided link doesn't work at the moment.

Prinny Bomb #525 - So many releases! So little time!
NIS America, Inc.
q1yo9nU.png

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
For people that finished the game, would I be really annoyed if I never played ciel?

It seems I would be missing a lot by skipping a whole game.

For people that finished the game, would I be really annoyed if I never played ciel?

It's not really something I'd recommend playing blind. There are detailed summaries of Ciel that suffice though and you should really read those.

kiryogi

Banned

You could go both ways. I first played Ar nosurge with a thin summary personally before the awesome Blackraen stuff was complete. But I went back and read Ciel and was still able to reap the benefits. Depends on how you go about things I suppose. But as everyone has said in here, Ciel is an excellent read and experience.

Just reached chapter 2 and I'm warming up to the game.
It does make me realize that my tolerance for certain Japanese stuff has lowered quite a bit over the years.
Can't help but roll my eyes at certain character designs and poor attempts at humor but it's a charming game.

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
You could go both ways. I first played Ar nosurge with a thin summary personally before the awesome Blackraen stuff was complete. But I went back and read Ciel and was still able to reap the benefits. Depends on how you go about things I suppose. But as everyone has said in here, Ciel is an excellent read and experience.

It's not really something I'd recommend playing blind. There are detailed summaries of Ciel that suffice though and you should really read those.

Thanks, I'll look up the summary and check the game out. Now I just need to decide ps3 or vita.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
So I'm thinking of getting into this by playing ciel first, and I'm wondering if there's a step by step translation guide that I can play along with.

Also which version of the game should I buy?

So I'm guessing I'm not the only one who wasted a ton of time trying to complete Ion's first genometrics level when it becomes available?

Mir Teiwaz

Neo Member
So I'm guessing I'm not the only one who wasted a ton of time trying to complete Ion's first genometrics level when it becomes available?
Considering how many people I saw posting about it on the GameFAQs board I'd say quite a few people got caught up on it.

I had to make a note about it in my guide so people would know why I skip it until early Phase 2.

Thought so.
I'm really enjoying it at this point (a couple of hours in I thought I would regret buying it) but this is really bad design.

Thought so.
I'm really enjoying it at this point (a couple of hours in I thought I would regret buying it) but this is really bad design.

Just as an FYI, when you get to a section where you get a ton of seemingly random questions (you'll know where it is when you get to it) later on in Ion's Genometrics, just look up the answers. IIRC you need to play Ciel to know how to answer them, so unless you want to waste points retrying it you're better off finding the answers and getting it over with.

And speaking of Ar nosurge, I'm somewhat tempted to pick up the Japanese Agent Pack for that music box, even if it'll cost a bit to import it. x_x

OceanBlue

Just as an FYI, when you get to a section where you get a ton of seemingly random questions (you'll know where it is when you get to it) later on in Ion's Genometrics, just look up the answers. IIRC you need to play Ciel to know how to answer them, so unless you want to waste points retrying it you're better off finding the answers and getting it over with.

And speaking of Ar nosurge, I'm somewhat tempted to pick up the Japanese Agent Pack for that music box, even if it'll cost a bit to import it. x_x

If we're talking about the same part, I don't think the answers are in Ciel no Surge.
You're supposed to guess until you get it right, and that's why she calls you out on it later. That part is supposed to further mess with the fourth wall. I don't think you're ever made aware that Ion is from Earth in Ciel no Surge.

If we're talking about the same part, I don't think the answers are in Ciel no Surge.
You're supposed to guess until you get it right, and that's why she calls you out on it later. That part is supposed to further mess with the fourth wall. I don't think you're ever made aware that Ion is from Earth in Ciel no Surge.

Oh, I thought I had heard the opposite. My mistake then.

OceanBlue

Anyway, I personally feel like I enjoyed that scene more than I would have if I had looked up the answers, but that's just me.

I'm pretty sure I got the answers from the game shortly afterwards.

So, I started playing this a few nights ago. I bought it when it came out, but then never got around to it. When they announced the Vita version, it reminded me I had it and well... while I'd prefer to play it on Vita, I couldn't wait so I got started on it.

Previously I'd tried reading the Ciel summary, but I found it pretty boring after a few chapters(contrary to a lot of the opinions on here). I was reading the detailed one - I mean, bits of it were interesting, but it was interjected by constantly adding new characters who I didn't know nor really care about.

However, returning to the Ciel summary now AFTER having put about 10 hours into Ar, I'm finding it a hell of a lot more interesting. So that's something at least (and for anyone who reads this having the same dilemma of reading Ciel before Ar, I'd personally do what I did - play Ar a bit then read Ciel).

I'm enjoying the game too. Battles are pretty easy, but as I expected I'm loving the setting & character development. Looking forward to playing more. Plus, I'm gonna double dip with the Vita version so I can play it again on the go!

This game should be played on hard.
I actually started on veteran but the bosses were crazy and normal battles dragged for too long.
Normal is pathetic, takes the fun out of the game.
Hard is a good middleground.
Once the battle system clicked and the story really got going I really started to enjoy the game.

Arthea

Wait, so I'm not supposed to do Ion's geometrics right away, I'm about to tackle that, just need a tad more points probably. But it I'm not supposed... lemme ask other way, is it important that I not to do that as in not being able to advance, or it's not necessary at this point?

Talking about hard, I still find battles too long on hard, it's true that normal is easy, but I'll take shorter battles over those dragging too much. After playing some on hard, I switched back to normal.

Top Bottom