• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are there any live service or MMO type games out there that just don't feel gross?

Mista

Banned
Plenty of games out there that’s doing it right:

- World of Warcraft
- Path of Exile
- Final Fantasy XIV
- The Elder Scrolls Online
- Tera
- EVE Online
- Black Desert (Yes, even with the grindfest)
- Final Fantasy XI
- Guild Wars 2
- The Secret World

And I can go on and on but I’ll stop here OP

Aion002

Gold Member
Destiny 2 before a couple of months ago it was just like Destiny 1... They choose to become this thing for more live services or something...

I dropped instantly after seeing what it had become. Loved Destiny 1 and 2 (up to the first year pass).... But now it's just not for me.

On the other hand... I think Warframe do it right, it's a F2P game.

Freeman76

Destiny 2 and I disagree with the user above me, their business model is fine. 10 bucks for 3 months worth of content right now and I already feel like I got my 10 bucks worth.

Their business model is a disgrace, but so many people think like you so its a massive success. Most of the best stuff is acquired with silver, the content is temporary so you could buy a season pass, come back to the game after a long break, and see nothing for your money. Plenty of people are happy with it, but its not for me. I put hundreds of hours into it and was very happy they severed ties with Activision, thinking they were the cause of the problem, bit since they became independent they have got worse unfortunately.

Last edited:
Their business model is a disgrace, but so many people think like you so its a massive success. Most of the best stuff is acquired with silver, the content is temporary so you could buy a season pass, come back to the game after a long break, and see nothing for your money. Plenty of people are happy with it, but its not for me.

Best stuff apparently means cosmetics and not weapons and armor. I play the game for new weapons and armor to kick ass with and the cosmetics are an added bonus. Though current season cosmetics are behind silver they all become available for bright dust in the next season. You are right that if you buy a season pass and don't play during the season certain activities/weapons/armor are gone but really why would you spend your money on something that you know is gone after 3 months and not play during those 3 months? I consider it incredibly weird all the same to consider cosmetics the "best stuff"

Phase

Even though I don't really enjoy most live service games, I did play through PoE's 10 acts and a little bit of end game recently and it was phenomenal. I would recommend it to anyone.

Sygma

I'm currently playing Lost Ark after being in the same boat for a little while. (isometric mmo) All these "lite mmos" or live service games just don't hold a candle to the real thing. I played Age of Conan + expansion for five years before quitting since it was clear that the game was dying (left after they nerfed everything to the ground basically in terms of difficulty) but man the outrageous amount of content, the basically unmatched dungeons and the best melee combat I've ever played in any game which made pvp the best experience I've ever had in a mmo were more than enough on their, plus the raids were nuts as well

It did help that the progression system in there was designed to last for basically more than one year

At the moment Lost Ark is like a really well thought out game, with tons of variety, raids, open world and arena pvp and some meaningful grind on top of it. It just works for me. Also its basically completely free with a premium sub if you wish to go down that road, and some pay 2 play more elements, rather than win. You don't need to spend anything to keep up, your talent will do the rest. You got directions as to what to do, higher tier raids are ilvl capped so you know what to grind in order to unlock them and there's enough side content not tied to your character specifically to keep things really interesting

But yeah basically its the only good mmo / live service game I've played since FF XIV, not counting Black Desert as a pvp experience first and foremost

Last edited:

KàIRóS

You should probably just wait for Phantasy Star Online 2 next year, that game is as addicting as the original PSO in Dreamcast/Gamecube.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Elder Scrolls Online is largely the reason why I made this thread, cuz I was staring at it in the current digital sales for steam and PS4, and debating if I wanna jump in for $20.

Maybe should I just go back to Final Fantasy XI, game has outdated graphics, but still is beautiful to me.
FFXI modded visually is passable and its still the best mmo ever made.

Bigrx1

Banned
I'm currently playing Lost Ark after being in the same boat for a little while. (isometric mmo) All these "lite mmos" or live service games just don't hold a candle to the real thing. I played Age of Conan + expansion for five years before quitting since it was clear that the game was dying (left after they nerfed everything to the ground basically in terms of difficulty) but man the outrageous amount of content, the basically unmatched dungeons and the best melee combat I've ever played in any game which made pvp the best experience I've ever had in a mmo were more than enough on their, plus the raids were nuts as well

It did help that the progression system in there was designed to last for basically more than one year

At the moment Lost Ark is like a really well thought out game, with tons of variety, raids, open world and arena pvp and some meaningful grind on top of it. It just works for me. Also its basically completely free with a premium sub if you wish to go down that road, and some pay 2 play more elements, rather than win. You don't need to spend anything to keep up, your talent will do the rest. You got directions as to what to do, higher tier raids are ilvl capped so you know what to grind in order to unlock them and there's enough side content not tied to your character specifically to keep things really interesting

But yeah basically its the only good mmo / live service game I've played since FF XIV, not counting Black Desert as a pvp experience first and foremost

This isn’t available in the west though is it?

Top Bottom