• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are you obligated to buy games at launch?

Do The Mario

Unconfirmed Member
Well there are plenty of people on this message board that love to hype the buggery out of games, to be honest I don’t see why so many people are keen to buy games at launch.

I only picked up GTA: VC over a fortnight ago and just finished it with 60% compilation after pouring in 35 hours of game play. Some people on this board have almost clocked more hours in GTA:SA in a few days!!!

I just can’t see how people can enjoy a game as they try to rush though it as fast as possible after anticipating it for several months and forking out some hard earned cash for it.

Personally I haven’t brought a game at launch since 13 months ago (animal crossing PAL release).

Am I one of the only gamers with a killer back log which has plenty of budget titles in it? I just don’t find launch games appealing when there are so many titles I can pick up for sensational prices.

I’m not saying there is anything wrong with buying new game titles at launch but I get the impression that, many gamers buy launch titles and try to finish them ASAP so they can move onto the next big thing.

P.S you can now continue with the rampant speculation!

PhatSaqs

Banned
I have a "thing" for having things ASAP when it comes to games. Dont know what it is but it's just how I am. Doesnt occur with anything else. Systems included.

Deku Tree

I don't buy alot of games right away. I try to buy as many as possible for budget prices. But some games are must have right away purchases.

Plus if a developer I like makes a great game then I feel like I should support them with a full price purchase (so that they'll be encouraged to make more great games).

ElyrionX

I just have this urge to own every game I wish to own the moment it's out. Also, where I come from, that ain't no such thing as bargain bins and price-cuts (except for those GHs and Platinums or whatever). Therefore, it makes no sense for me not to buy something the moment its out as opposed to buying it at the same price half a year later.....

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
I buy games when they come out and then leave them in their plastic until I get around to playing them. Why? Cause I can remember a time when I didn't have it like that. :D

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
I periodically play my backlog only, without picking up any games at all. Been doing so for a few months now, with few exceptions. My backlog shelf has steadily become more empty.

Once my backlog has become small enough, I pick up the games I missed out on during the time spent playing backlog games (which is great, because by then they've usually recieved a price-cut or two)...and perhaps 1 or 2 totally new titles if they're at a reasonable price. Then I play the games I picked up for a while (a couple of months or so). I prefer to buy used games, and I rarely buy PAL games nowadays. I never buy budget titles though, the ugly stripes and borders are scary. :p

rawk

Depends how many games I currently have to play. If I've got a handful that I'm only partly into, I'll hold off on buying new games. If I've exhausted a console's back catalog, pretty much, I'll buy the new titles right as they come out.

slayn

needs to show more effort.
I always buy games at launch because I like so few games, I play games so much, and am good at them, that there is never a time where I have a backlog. Ever. So I'm bored by the time of the launch of the next game that I want.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I used to buy games right away, but eventually those backlogs build up and I've finally stopped the nonsense. I play games at my own pace and when they're done, they're done. Outside of a select few games that I really want to support right off the bat, I mostly wait for price drops now. It's just more cost effective, and it may mean that I'm 6-12 months behind on the big new titles, but I can afford to play more if I so choose, and if not, I'm still saving a ton of money for other things.

luxsol

After being in gaming chat rooms for so long... it's hard not to buy a game at launch and play it as fast as possible. THE PEOPLE IN CHATS LIKE TO SPOIL THE STORY!!!! Gotta play before someone spoils it.

Course, now I'm going at my own pace and have a couple dozen games in my backlog and mostly dick around with online FPS... but i still buy various "must have" games at launch.

Tsubaki

Only for games I'm really anticipating, and for games that I think will be harder to find later on. But then again, I almost exclusively purchase import-Jp games.

Prospero

I have such a huge backlog now that the only games I've been buying at launch are limited editions or games with oddball peripherals (like Taiko Drum Master). For the past few weeks my non-Bemani gaming has exclusively been level-grinding with Phantom Brave, and I don't see that ending soon.

DarienA said:
I buy games when they come out and then leave them in their plastic until I get around to playing them. Why? Cause I can remember a time when I didn't have it like that.

Replace "games" with "DVDs" and that describes me, though.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
Well...another wrench in the saving plan for me is that so many of the games I'm interested in have online components...and those can be especially good when everyone's rather new to the experience.

I'm buying HALO 2 at launch because I doubt the price will drop a year from November. As for games like Mario Power Tennis, Metroid Prime 2, Prince of Persia, Viewtiful Joe 2, and Paper Mario 2, I'm sure there prices will drop given time, so I'm going to wait. (hopefully)

I only feel the need to buy highly anticipated games (like Halo2) or quirky games that may be in short supply (like Technic Beat) as soon as it comes out but I NEVER feel the need to finish them asap. They're mine and they ain't going nowhere ;)

BTW, I still look for deals on the highly anticipated games and try to wait at least a couple days for Fry's to put them on sale, for most.

suikodan

I am a compulsive buyer but since I am buying a house and will have a lot less money than before, I might think twice before buying a game at full price.

The next two games that I am going to buy are Halo 2 CE (Already paid, phew!) and Half-Life 2 CE. I'll need to refrain myself from buying MGS3 even though I want it bad.

What's causing this buying-crisis though is that I am passing in front of a EBGames store each day to take the subway. However, with the underground of Montreal being well developped, there are multiple ways that I can get to the subway w/o "having" to check the EB store ;)

MoxManiac

I generally get forced into buying at launch when it's a SE/CE etc.

The KOF MI collector edition. The Phantom Brave and SMT: N soundtracks....

Damn you, Wonderman!!

Mr. Lemming said:
I'm a consumer whore. :(

dwyerlogo.gif

Gek54

DarienA said:
I buy games when they come out and then leave them in their plastic until I get around to playing them. Why? Cause I can remember a time when I didn't have it like that. :D

What a disturbing comment.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
I have four basic rankings for games. Some games fall outside of these rankings (for example, Ace Combat 5 was not a category 1 game but I got it day 1 anyway due to the TRU sale), but usually these ranks apply to about 95% of games that catch my eye.

1) Games that I MUST have ASAP (recent/upcoming examples are Halo 2, GTA:SA, GT4, SMT: Nocturne, Katamari Damacy, possibly MGS3)

2) Games that I must get but can wait a little while or until a holiday for (Baten Kaitos, Pikmin 2, Paper Mario, MP2, Prince of Persia 2, Shadow Hearts: Covenant, Half-Life 2, Nintendoods) Clearly, this is the largest group of games I'm actually interested in.

3) Games that I want but am in no hurry to get (Tales of Symphonia, Star Ocean 3, Donkey Konga, Ratchet and Clank 3)

4) Everything else

Do The Mario

Unconfirmed Member
I'm buying HALO 2 at launch because I doubt the price will drop a year from November. As for games like Mario Power Tennis, Metroid Prime 2, Prince of Persia, Viewtiful Joe 2, and Paper Mario 2, I'm sure there prices will drop given time, so I'm going to wait. (hopefully

My problem is with Nintendo doing so bad in Australia it can be hard to pick up titles after launch, so if I don’t pick up Pikmin 2 and paper Mario 2 in the next couple of weeks when they launch.

Still I would rather buy KOTOR and Splinter Cell PT for the same price as one new game!!!

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Gek54 said:
What a disturbing comment.

Wait what's so disturbing around remembering when times and money were tight? Now even if I have a passing interest in a title I just pick it up right when it releases, when I get around to playing it if I don't like it I'll trade it in.

Do The Mario

Unconfirmed Member
Wait what's so disturbing around remembering when times and money were tight? Now even if I have a passing interest in a title I just pick it up right when it releases, when I get around to playing it if I don't like it I'll trade it in.

Can you be my gaming sugar daddy :D

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
ASAP for me, even if it means instantly shelving lower priority titles. Lots of that will be happening this holiday season. Hell, it already is.

ferricide

no, actually. i'm starting to not, because of price decreases and rampant competition. and my backlog @_@

at this point, the only games i buy right away are games i want to play super bad, or games that i want to support the publisher in the important early sales (shin megami tensei: nocturne, for example.) some games qualify for both, actually (pikmin 2, at least until i played it.)

Grubdog

Banned
I have to buy games the day they come out being an Australian GC owner, otherwise I will never be able to get them.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
I am. I can't just buy a system and have it sit for the novelty of just having it. I fail to see the purpose. Only time I think that was valid was when the PS2 launched with the DVD player

Do The Mario

Unconfirmed Member
I have to buy games the day they come out being an Australian GC owner, otherwise I will never be able to get them.

WoW another GC owner that lives in Australia? Together we make up about 25% of the GC userbase in AUstralia!

I am. I can't just buy a system and have it sit for the novelty of just having it. I fail to see the purpose. Only time I think that was valid was when the PS2 launched with the DVD player

Did you read my post?

Why would your console be sitting there doing nothing? I mean just because you’re not buying games as they come out doesn’t mean you won’t have nothing in you’re console.

I don’t buy games as they come out and my consoles are not sitting there for novelty value.

well of late..I have ben waiting for games to hit the Bargin Bin. Now, I iwill buy a game close to launch if I feel the game is niche, and might not be around a year form now. Also i will buy a game at launch if it from a company I love, like Sega. I did buy Outrun 2 at launch this week.

Top Bottom