• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arma 3 Beta - June 25th - 35 Euros

Jackpot

Banned
Latest update added APCs.

EFgmLGmh.jpg

1GVRgL6h.jpg

edit: wheeeee

sss.png

Longshot

Tried ArmA: Gold Edition earlier tonight, much more polished and tolerable than the original OFP, graphics are easier on the eyes too. Played a few missions and got stuck on the sniper operation, it's quite hard. There's something scary about not knowing where you're getting shot from.

Sethos

Banned
Just saw a 904 MB update. Any idea what it is?

Only update I see so far is this

24-07-2013
No new EXE (yesterday’s EXE is of the same version as the patch candidate)
Size: ~206 MB

- This data set is the patch candidate for tomorrow's release
- Fixed: Persistent task notification
- Supply parachutes now have correct colors per sides
- Camo version of UH-80 is now listed as made by BI
- Corrected position for optics, coaxial machinegun made on correct place (AMV)
- Fixed: Undefined variable error when engaging the spotters (Showcase Infantry)
- Fixed: No artillery rounds were hitting the village at the end of the mission (Showcase Infantry)
- Roadcone and Roadbarrier lights are now operational

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?149636-Beta-Development-branch-changelog/page9

Sethos

Banned
Dslyecxi having a rant about the action menu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-Ve4PJQhjY

I've gotten used to the thing from the OFP days and I learned how to avoid all the kinks he's talking about, so I don't see it as a major problem. He is right though, they need to refine it and fluid door opening would be a fantastic addition.

Overdoziz

Banned
The action menu has its charm and I've gotten used to it, but he's definitely right. It's pretty ridiculous that a game in 2013 still has such a convoluted way of doing simple actions. An action button with a proper system around it can't be that hard to implement, right?

EVIL

Dslyecxi having a rant about the action menu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-Ve4PJQhjY

I've gotten used to the thing from the OFP days and I learned how to avoid all the kinks he's talking about, so I don't see it as a major problem. He is right though, they need to refine it and fluid door opening would be a fantastic addition.

Might not be an issue for people who got used to it. but if Bohemia really wants to push this game, it needs to go with the times. Its still a fight against the game to get smooth stealthy tactical maneuvering within buildings. and interacting with its interactive elements.

R1CHO

The action menu has to die in pain.

If they launch the game with the same old ui as always... that's going to be a big FAIL.

I just saw more of the vid. He is making great arguments, but his remarks on the APC system seems to contradict with his other points. He wants to get into the APC from different locations. But he also wants the doors on the other vehicles to be context sensitive. So partly) the opposite of what he wants with the APC). I agree with both points, though it seems that to implement both concessions have to be made. I think that with armor Bohemia doesn't have any other choice to keep some sort of scroll menu. Especially when there are no obvious points of mounting the vehicle. They should at least do something about the wonky sensitivity. At least make stuff behave consistent.

Might not be an issue for people who got used to it. but if Bohemia really wants to push this game, it needs to go with the times. Its still a fight against the game to get smooth stealthy tactical maneuvering within buildings. and interacting with its interactive elements.

Well, if anyone got used to it, it's Dslyecxi.

Even for the relatively short time I played Dayz, it was sticking out like a sore thumb. Man those barracks doors!

Radix

Neo Member
Beta Development branch changelog said:
Assigned new style collision envelopes to movement with rifle. This should fix several issues with clipping, sticking and walking through walls. Also improves character handling, as the rotation axis is now moved under characters head, instead of it's feet. Pistol envelopes remain old-style for comparison, but will shortly follow.

Movement is really coming together. Hopefully one day we will be able to switch weapons while on the move.

Jackpot

Banned
The final game will not come with a Singleplayer Campaign. That will be released "later", meaning BIS will also get my money "later", if at all.

Sini

The final game will not come with a Singleplayer Campaign. That will be released "later", meaning BIS will also get my money "later", if at all.
I don't understand why can't they just delay the final release. They are already getting money from the game.
And the reviewers won't wait until they add the sp campaign post-release.

What are you even talking about? Source? When has an ARMA game ever launched without a single player mission/campaign?

Yeah, I'm pretty angry as well. Or at least disappointed.

Releasing half the game now, and half the game later is not as how it should be done, Bohemia.

You have been developing the game for three years already, a bit more even. The mission designers had plenty of time to pump out the campaign. Hell, given how interoperable is Arma 2 engine and Arma 3 engine, they could have been doing the missions with Arma 2 content and later port it to Arma 3 as the content was being done by the artists.

They should delay the game two months more, meanwhile there is plenty of work to do like improving the AI, and optimizing more the engine.

The beta is already more expensive than a lot of retail titles , I doubt the full version is going to be cheaper than the £29.99 they are already charging.

Wha? The Alpha was $33 USD, Beta is $45 USD. Both are below (far below, if you go by $60 for retail games) retail titles.

The devs are taking a risk with the reputation of the company by selling a game that is reliant on the mod community for scenarios and add ons. Im Totally surprised that they sat on this information for this long.. It could be a good case for a possible Steam refund

The devs are taking a risk with the reputation of the company by selling a game that is reliant on the mod community for scenarios and add ons. Im Totally surprised that they sat on this information for this long.. It could be a good case for a possible Steam refund

bi makes a good product but they've been notorious for having relatively poor pr, they were mad salty when arma 2 shipped out as a buggy pos and were called out on it.

CMDBob

Huh, no campaign at launch. Actually makes me kinda glad I bought this early for cheap. Seems like so many PC developers rely too much on the community to finish games. Spose it's better than shaking us down for DLC money (but then again, they still do that anyway...). Inexcusable and shitty.

Now, that's not to say I've not had fun with A3 while it's been in Alpha/Beta, but you'd have expected the mission designers to be working on the missions in the background, using placeholder assets and stuff! That's just shitty workflow.

bi makes a good product but they've been notorious for having relatively poor pr, they were mad salty when arma 2 shipped out as a buggy pos and were called out on it.

The moderators on the official forums are a lot worse.. You can get easily banned/insulted for criticism

The Stealth Fox

They should have had some kind of disclaimer from the get go when we paid them to be able to test the game early on with the promise of getting a fully-featured game on launch.

Jackpot

Banned
Huh, no campaign at launch. Actually makes me kinda glad I bought this early for cheap. Seems like so many PC developers rely too much on the community to finish games. Spose it's better than shaking us down for DLC money (but then again, they still do that anyway...). Inexcusable and shitty.

Why not get a refund? What you pre-ordered has changed.

The moderators on the official forums are a lot worse.. You can get easily banned/insulted for criticism.

Amen. They won't be happy until the entire BIS forums are reduced to a handful of megathreads, default 5 posts per page of course!

CMDBob

Why not get a refund? What you pre-ordered has changed.

Heh, would do, but bought my copy via Steam, and it's probably not worth it trying to get a refund off em. Knowing my luck, I'd lose my entire library. I know this for a fact though, won't be buying another BI game unless it's on sale for peanuts on Steam.

I am surprised none of the major PC gaming sites (like RPS and PCG) haven't picked up on this news, though.

FGMPR

Banned
What's in a name? If they had said that instead of releasing Altis at launch, they had decided to release it early into the Beta itself, and then released 1.0 later than expected (the specific date still TBA) with the campaign, would there be any difference to consumers other than perception? We did buy into a unreleased Beta after all.

The point I'm trying to make is that the line between work-in-progress and full release is blurring with the 'games as a service' model being combined with Kickstarter beta's and Steam Early Access titles. This announcement is a by product of this and may end up being somewhat analogous to Oblivion's Horse Armour DLC to the ever increasing pool of games that are following these release models.

The one area where this does begin to become murky lies in the possibility of a retail release without the campaign. If a delayed campaign is the way it has to be (and I'm all for it considering the potential this game holds for great SP/Coop experience's), then the retail release should absolutely be delayed until the campaign is in, in my opinion.

The guys at BI needs to invest in a new engine.. Has anyone ever asked if they are creating one or planning it? I'd back that kick starter lol

The team will be at Gamescom someone should ask

What a bummer, why even release the game officially if you don't have the campaign ready? It's still in beta without one, and they will be patching it just as often no doubt.

I mean, especially given buying the game lets you play now.

You know that ARMA 3 is a new engine right?

You are wrong. Arma 3 still uses the Real Virtuality engine with updates, it's the same engine they have used for every game since Operation Flashpoint (2001), including VBS 1,2,3 which are made specifically for the United States government. They have the money to do so but I'm not sure why they haven't taken this route

I don't see why they have to officially 'release' the game if it's still going to be incomplete. They're already selling the beta and making money from it.

Heh, would do, but bought my copy via Steam, and it's probably not worth it trying to get a refund off em. Knowing my luck, I'd lose my entire library. I know this for a fact though, won't be buying another BI game unless it's on sale for peanuts on Steam.

Steam is pretty good with refunds actually. They refund pre-orders no questions asked. It might a little more tricky for an early access game you've already played but you can open a support ticket with Steam and link the official blog post confirming this news (when it's out) and say that they are not holding up their end of the deal. I imagine Valve (and Bohemia if required) will authorize refund requests.

While I personally wouldn't ask for a refund, this really is kind of lame. I like how that Bohemia dev emphasized that it will be FREE for everyone who purchases it as if that's some great favor they're doing for customers who already paid for it.

Jackpot

Banned
It's such a shame. I thought this might be the best ArmA release yet, now it's going to be one of the worst. I can see reviewers having reservations recommending it if PvP is their first experience with it.

And the game works so well when BIS put the effort in. That Helicopters showcase I edited so it used the Mi-48 instead of the Kasatka and it was so much fun. It's how I test all the helicopters now.

Also some mods I recommend using even on your first playthrough;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=DFD4R8gnV0Q

Weapon resting. It's simple. No complicated padlocking your gun to a wall. If your gun is over an object that's close enough an icon appears showing you're resting your gun on it and therefore it's more stable. Adds a completely new dynamic to what cover you choose.

They also completely rework the horribly overdone recoil. For the first time in an Arma game LMGs are actually useful.

You are wrong. Arma 3 still uses the Real Virtuality engine with updates, it's the same engine they have used for every game since Operation Flashpoint (2001), including VBS 1,2,3 which are made specifically for the United States government. They have the money to do so but I'm not sure why they haven't taken this route

Not quite, it's more iterative. Putting in PhysX would require extensive reworking for any engine. And you can see distinct features shared by games that use the same RV engine. But they do have a lot of inherited bugs. From OFP to A2:OA there've been bugs with vehicle machine gun muzzle flashes and any weapon that has more than one barrel. Each time it's been patched but every new release they're back again.

Not quite, it's more iterative. Putting in PhysX would require extensive reworking for any engine. And you can see distinct features shared by games that use the same RV engine. But they do have a lot of inherited bugs. From OFP to A2:OA there've been bugs with vehicle machine gun muzzle flashes and any weapon that has more than one barrel. Each time it's been patched but every new release they're back again.

One of the biggest problems the engine has (not the only one, other includes performance being heavily reliant on the CPU) is the AI performance impacts. The game is unplayable in large scale operations both online and in single player. It has been this way with all of BI games and it remains the same with ARMA 3. Which is an explanation for the lifelessness of its larger maps and cities.

Foffy

Banned
Woah really? The game won't have a fucking campaign at launch? I knew it in Alpha/Beta meant that the campaign wouldn't be there, but even at gold? Is the gold release the official release of the main island and that's it?

Take on Mars, a game from Bohemia is also offering early access ala ArmA III, but even that has the campaign playable. Granted, it's not fully there, but it's expected to be there when the game is considered gold status. Ridiculous.

And the game works so well when BIS put the effort in. That Helicopters showcase I edited so it used the Mi-48 instead of the Kasatka and it was so much fun. It's how I test all the helicopters now.

How did you edit that? I thought everything BI did since Operation Arrowhead has been encrypted, so you can't edit anything anymore.

Jackpot

Banned
How did you edit that? I thought everything BI did since Operation Arrowhead has been encrypted, so you can't edit anything anymore.

Use dePboUnpacker to extract the missions.pbo. Find the stratis.helicopters folder and copy it to my docs/Arma 3/missions and then you can load it from the editor. The player's helicopter is stuck under a waypoint so use shift+left click to select it.

Top Bottom