• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Armored Core V |OT|

1stStrike

Banned
shotguns, how do they work?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_4omeiu2FI

guy basically takes out an entire team by himself running a LW core with double shottys. wow.

also some really sick boosting skills too.

That was pretty awesome. I hope to be that good with boosting eventually. Dual shotguns is total murder, and way overpowered right now on a light weight AC. Those heavier AC's didn't stand a chance - he was flying above them throughout the match, which is already hard to hit, plus he stayed almost perpetually in midair.

Is there any way to increase the turn speed? Turning around is soooooo slow.

Tank legs turn faster, but a good way to turn quick is to just hit L1 in mid-flight to cut off your booster while turning. It'll let you turn quickly, and then you can just hit L1 again to turn your booster back on.

Avoid this man at all costs! :p

<3

You're playing AC5 too? If so, I'll be on all weekend pretty much. We can coop and you can absorb bullets for me and stuff :p

todahawk

<3

You're playing AC5 too? If so, I'll be on all weekend pretty much. We can coop and you can absorb bullets for me and stuff :p

Not yet, I've been lurking in here and debating whether i should get it. My interest in the AC series has been lagging and I want to try 5 but I keep waffling. My backlog is huge but I'm dying for something new new.

I put a ton of hours into AC 2, less so in 3 and AC4A just didn't click with me. Might have given up too soon.

1stStrike

Banned
Not yet, I've been lurking in here and debating whether i should get it. My interest in the AC series has been lagging and I want to try 5 but I keep waffling. My backlog is huge but I'm dying for something new new.

I put a ton of hours into AC 2, less so in 3 and AC4A just didn't click with me. Might have given up too soon.

If it's any consolation, I wasn't fond of AC4A's online gameplay at all, but so far I love it in this one. It has voice support, you have team based gameplay that is very much tactical, and the mechs feel great when you pilot them. FPS is also fine.

Thanks to the online, there's tons of replay value here. I think you should give it a go :)

todahawk

If it's any consolation, I wasn't fond of AC4A's online gameplay at all, but so far I love it in this one. It has voice support, you have team based gameplay that is very much tactical, and the mechs feel great when you pilot them. FPS is also fine.

Thanks to the online, there's tons of replay value here. I think you should give it a go :)

I don't need too much convincing! ;)
Fuck, just remembered my inet is hosed (on my neighbor's wi-fi ATM). I gotta remember to call in the morning. I'll let you know if (when) I pick it up.

Just got it on xbox, Im at the point where I have to select a team.
Does Ravens_Gaf still have room, i looked it up and its password protected. Are those last 2 slots open? (says 18/20)

SovietStriker/BeastBiscuit

We should make a second xbox GAF team if the first one fills up completely and there are still players willing to join

purg3

slept with Malkin
Just got it on xbox, Im at the point where I have to select a team.
Does Ravens_Gaf still have room, i looked it up and its password protected. Are those last 2 slots open? (says 18/20)

SovietStriker/BeastBiscuit

We should make a second xbox GAF team if the first one fills up completely and there are still players willing to join

pw is N73E

hteng

Banned
shotguns, how do they work?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_4omeiu2FI

guy basically takes out an entire team by himself running a LW core with double shottys. wow.

also some really sick boosting skills too.

shotguns are KE weapons, they have around 20-35 ammo, it may a appear low damage on the stat screen but it fires multiple rounds per shoot, so it has pretty devastating power at close range.
In the previous version one of the twin barrel shotguns had very low reload time and thus you could spam it and stagger lock your opponents, now it's nerfed to about 100+ reload time, it's still a feasible weapon though but it's not as good as before. Bring a wide lock FCS with you.

Is there any way to increase the turn speed? Turning around is soooooo slow.

turning stat is affected by the type of legs you use, there's no 360 Quick boost turn as in AC4, but there's a similar manuver in AC5, you can only do this on the ground, while boosting/high boosting/glide boosting, cut off your boosters and turn sideways, you'll make a drift turn, the rate of turn depends heavily on what boost you are coming from.

Tain

Man, NG3 must have really fucked up if Tain is trading it in, even after playing it on a harder difficulty.

I was hopeful even up to, like, late in the second stage, but the game is nothing but izuna drops and avoiding throws with no variety whatsoever. :[

This game is pretty awesome so far, though!

Teknoman

shotguns are KE weapons, they have around 20-35 ammo, it may a appear low damage on the stat screen but it fires multiple rounds per shoot, so it has pretty devastating power at close range.
In the previous version one of the twin barrel shotguns had very low reload time and thus you could spam it and stagger lock your opponents, now it's nerfed to about 100+ reload time, it's still a feasible weapon though but it's not as good as before. Bring a wide lock FCS with you.

turning stat is affected by the type of legs you use, there's no 360 Quick boost turn as in AC4, but there's a similar manuver in AC5, you can only do this on the ground, while boosting/high boosting/glide boosting, cut off your boosters and turn sideways, you'll make a drift turn, the rate of turn depends heavily on what boost you are coming from.

Wide lock, check.

Whats the best way to use recon? Also can other team members see your recon markers?

Ken

I'm using RJ-L legs. I'll try that out though, thanks.

1stStrike

Banned
Wide lock, check.

Whats the best way to use recon? Also can other team members see your recon markers?

I don't believe there's really any "best" way. It comes down to your skill and what kind of team you're on. I usually try to flank them, get off a few shotgun blasts from behind, and then take off and let my team finish them off.

Or, if you don't want to be up close and personal, you can just snipe from the back. I imagine sniping in this game is probably hard as fuck, though, considering how fast AC's move.

hteng

Banned
Wide lock, check.

no, other teammates can't see your recon markers. but if you have spot an enemy AC and marked it, there'll be a temporary marker on the enemy AC for your teammates to see.

to do this, you have to go into scan mode, make sure the enemy AC is in your sight (none line of sight can be achieve by recons), wait for the scan analysis to finish, then press R2 or L2 i can't remember, one lets you mark the enemy, the other lets you analyze your opponent's stats.

There are 3 types of recon

Sticky type - these come with your default AC, you can shoot these out quite far, but you'll have to take the time to aim and shoot them out. They are of average EN consumption, average live time, average coverage, average number of deployment.

Floater type - you deploy these on the spot, you can't shoot them out like sticky type. I guess it's good for scouters or lightweights if they runaround alot, it has low EN consumption, long live time, big coverage, higher number of deployment.

Follow type - basically floats on your AC's head and follow you around, you can only deploy one at a time, it'll scan your surroundings for enemy ACs and alert you but doesn't really tell you the direction, if you go into scan mode you can still spot your enemies behind obstacles. High EN consumption, low live time, small coverage.

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
I went to Best Buy to pick this up for PS3 tonight and they didn't have any! Scumbags. I'll swing by gamestop tomorrow and pick it up for the weekend along with Birds of Steel.

AC was my favorite game ever back in the day, it's criminal I haven't played any yet this gen. Johnny_Riingo coming in guns hot.

Teknoman

I don't believe there's really any "best" way. It comes down to your skill and what kind of team you're on. I usually try to flank them, get off a few shotgun blasts from behind, and then take off and let my team finish them off.

Or, if you don't want to be up close and personal, you can just snipe from the back. I imagine sniping in this game is probably hard as fuck, though, considering how fast AC's move.

no, other teammates can't see your recon markers. but if you have spot an enemy AC and marked it, there'll be a temporary marker on the enemy AC for your teammates to see.

to do this, you have to go into scan mode, make sure the enemy AC is in your sight (none line of sight can be achieve by recons), wait for the scan analysis to finish, then press R2 or L2 i can't remember, one lets you mark the enemy, the other lets you analyze your opponent's stats.

There are 3 types of recon

Sticky type - these come with your default AC, you can shoot these out quite far, but you'll have to take the time to aim and shoot them out. They are of average EN consumption, average live time, average coverage, average number of deployment.

Floater type - you deploy these on the spot, you can't shoot them out like sticky type. I guess it's good for scouters or lightweights if they runaround alot, it has low EN consumption, long live time, big coverage, higher number of deployment.

Follow type - basically floats on your AC's head and follow you around, you can only deploy one at a time, it'll scan your surroundings for enemy ACs and alert you but doesn't really tell you the direction, if you go into scan mode you can still spot your enemies behind obstacles. High EN consumption, low live time, small coverage.

Cool i'll go with floater then, also yeah 1st, thats the way I want to play. Thanks for the advice about energy regenerating faster in scan mode. Must have missed that in one of the order/tutorial missions.

So far my weapon load is:

Pulse Machine gun X Rifle
Laser blade X Shotgun

Now i'm thinking about using Pulse X Shotgun most of the time since they seem to be fairly close-mid range weapons, but giant mecha and laser blades just go together so well...I cant push myself to drop it. Those and solid weapons are both in game, so there must be a decent way to put them to use in battle.

For now, I can say the title screen is my favorite title screen in a long time.

Same here, its like...well being an actual pilot of sorts lol.

1stStrike

Banned
For now, I can say the title screen is my favorite title screen in a long time.

The title screen is great - until you've seen it 5 or 6 times in a play session. The game is great fun, but the disconnections and having to go through all that "downloading from server" crap again each time gets annoying.

Ken

The title screen is great - until you've seen it 5 or 6 times in a play session. The game is great fun, but the disconnections and having to go through all that "downloading from server" crap again each time gets annoying.

Yet to DC on the 360. Sorry to hear about the PS3 version DCing. :(

Snipers counter heavy ACs pretty well. Getting hit by a single rail cannon blast will fuck up any persons day.

In versus, I see tons of Gatling gun wielders, kinda fun to slap on CE pieces and watch them burn all their ammo trying to kill you.

Edit: And Jammers are amazing, I'm glad people haven't caught onto them.

Tain

I'm pretty confused at all the multiplayer stuff. Game could use a real manual.

also I can't believe I had rights to change team info. Sorry about the logo mishap!

1stStrike

Banned
Yet to DC on the 360. Sorry to hear about the PS3 version DCing. :(

It seems to happen most often after finishing a mission. Finish the mission, go back to the menu, get disconnected from the server and have to reconnect. Tonight, it took me 2 - 3 tries to get connected on step 3 as well, as that kept failing too. It tends to shorten my play sessions as my annoyance level increases.

Snipers counter heavy ACs pretty well. Getting hit by a single rail cannon blast will fuck up any persons day.

In versus, I see tons of Gatling gun wielders, kinda fun to slap on CE pieces and watch them burn all their ammo trying to kill you.

I'm probably going to have to change up my strategy. I did some 5 vs 5 tonight with dual shotguns and they weren't really getting me any kills. And since I'm a light weight, I go down pretty quick. Works great in all the missions, but doesn't seem to be all that great online.

Leunam

Picked it up today on PS3. This is my current AC, RS02 Tallgeese.

BssNsl.jpg

Enjoying it so far. I guess you have to create a team to play, even if it's just you online? My team name is Katyusha 12, password is 2814 if anyone wants to join. Going to be casual for the most part, if there's another group team that might let me in I may just join them.

I'm leunam23 on PSN. Add me if you like.

wwm0nkey

So we just totally won doing the most dick thing in the world. Me and Purg3 died and Calmer was only down to 500AP. We drew them back to their base and took out 3 choppers before that point but their base was on heavy guard. So we pretty much thought we were fucked but then we realized we could win without killing them so Calmer took out the chopper at the bottom of the lake while and SoulKing snuk in and took out the chopper they were guarding which ended the game lol

I already know they probably went "WHAT THE FUCK!!" after that match lol

Teknoman

Go on...

Also yes on rail guns. I was trying to solo something to help Raven's GAF, and i'm guessing thats what I got hit with. I didnt notice the laser slowly warming up to my position, then WHAM.

Picked it up today on PS3. This is my current AC, RS02 Tallgeese.

BssNsl.jpg

Enjoying it so far. I guess you have to create a team to play, even if it's just you online? My team name is Katyusha 12, password is 2814 if anyone wants to join. Going to be casual for the most part, if there's another group team that might let me in I may just join them.

I'm leunam23 on PSN. Add me if you like.

You should join either one of the current GAF squads, unless you want to start your own.

Hey guys I need every 360 members gamertag so I can kick non GAF members out if I need to.

TeknomanEX.

Leunam

You should join either one of the current GAF squads, unless you want to start your own.

Will do.

Added. There's two teams right now. AdmiralSnackBar has his with some IRL friends, and then there's mine which has all gaffers.

I'll see how Dreadnoughts does. If we don't hit 10+, then I'll probably just merge up with the Admiral.

Let me know how this goes, I'd like to join up.

purg3

slept with Malkin
So we just totally won doing the most dick thing in the world. Me and Purg3 died and Calmer was only down to 500AP. We drew them back to their base and took out 3 choppers before that point but their base was on heavy guard. So we pretty much thought we were fucked but then we realized we could win without killing them so Calmer took out the chopper at the bottom of the lake while and SoulKing snuk in and took out the chopper they were guarding which ended the game lol

I already know they probably went "WHAT THE FUCK!!" after that match lol

such an awesome win. so funny when he started yelling about finding the helicopter, and then out of no where the victory message came up.

1stStrike

Banned
Let me know how this goes, I'd like to join up.

Feel free to join up. We're up to 5 gaffers thus far. Just search for Dreadnoughts in the team list. It makes it a lot easier (and more fun) to be in a team with other people, since you can hop into one another's games without having to go hang with randoms.

hteng

Banned
There are flash rockets that will disable your opponents lock on temporary, jammers can disrupt your opponents en regeneration and movement

Teknoman

There are flash rockets that will disable your opponents lock on temporary, jammers can disrupt your opponents en regeneration and movement

I use flash rockets since i'm usually going to try to get in close and then speed off, but jammers sound interesting as well.

wwm0nkey

So FFA is pretty awesome in this game, helps build individual skill as well and its an amazing way to test out your build.

Teknoman

I know the game just released, but...think From will expand using DLC rather than just making an entirely new version?

EDIT: Does your AC AI say good evening depending on time of day, or is it always good morning?

soultron

Banned
Just watched the GT review and the commander mode and planning stages have me intrigued. I'm someone who's never played a proper AC game (just demos) but loves sim style games.

Teknoman

Just watched the GT review and the commander mode and planning stages have me intrigued. I'm someone who's never played a proper AC game (just demos) but loves sim style games.

I'll say this feels like the perfect mix between tactical moderate paced mechs and high speed missile barrage/laser blade action.

Top Bottom