• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Armored Core V |OT|

Ken

Think shotgun+beam sword paired with parts that are spec for high mobility, are a good match for close ambush/quick attack situations? Also since there is a sticky class of recon, could i stick one to an enemy, and it would reveal not only that AC's position but whoever was next to it at all times (or as long as the recon last)?
I think so, but good luck trying to stick it on an enemy. :p

Getting this today, I was excited for this, RE:ORC, and NG3 this month and so far this game to me seems like the least disappointing. Anything I need to know going in? Im such a beginner when it comes to specing.

1stStrike

Banned
Getting this today, I was excited for this, RE:ORC, and NG3 this month and so far this game to me seems like the least disappointing. Anything I need to know going in? Im such a beginner when it comes to specing.

Play around with a couple different builds and make use of the testing grounds. You can fly around solo to get used to movement, or add in different groups of enemies that will give you a reasonable enough challenge to get used to your weapons, dodging, etc.

Be mindful of energy too. If you're using primarily energy weapons, then you're going to want a high capacity generator to be able to support extended combat with them. Your generator can make or break a fight for you, so choose wisely.

Got a team rolling with a few friends, happy to have any GAFers who just need some casual stuff.

Search for team name: Marauder Shields and then laugh with us at how awful the name is. We're AC vets, just getting a feel for V.

Riposte

Still waiting to find out which version is best before I dive in.

Performance and size of online community(not just GAF's) is important to me.

Seems to be no real good deals either.

Im hoping a finally get to play this a bit tonight. I was looking at the mechbuilding/screen. A bit menacing, not really sure whats good, what to build, or whats a good way of doing anything yet.

1stStrike

Banned
Got a team rolling with a few friends, happy to have any GAFers who just need some casual stuff.

Search for team name: Marauder Shields and then laugh with us at how awful the name is. We're AC vets, just getting a feel for V.

Ah, you bastid. I sent you a message on PSN last night about my team :p What level are you guys? We were 39 when I signed off for the night.

Also, Marauder Shields is pretty amusing. I may just join your team regardless lol.

1stStrike

Banned
I played around with the emblem creator but couldn't figure out how to color anything lol. It showed that I should press triangle to open the color editor, but it was blacked out and I was stuck with plain white =\

Ken

I played around with the emblem creator but couldn't figure out how to color anything lol. It showed that I should press triangle to open the color editor, but it was blacked out and I was stuck with plain white =\

Did you make a new layer, and choose a shape? After that you can change the size and color.

GAF, do I want this game?

I am not very familiar with the mech genre, but I always wanted to play Chromehounds, and I was saddened when they took it offline before I got the chance. Also, the online portion of Armored Core V sounds awesome. I'm a huge fan of persistent world games, and even though this isn't an MMO, the persistent world aspect of the game gets me excited. I would be playing it on the PS3.

1stStrike

Banned
Did you make a new layer, and choose a shape? After that you can change the size and color.

That's probably why. I find the emblem editor to be rather confusing.

GAF, do I want this game?

I am not very familiar with the mech genre, but I always wanted to play Chromehounds, and I was saddened when they took it offline before I got the chance. Also, the online portion of Armored Core V sounds awesome. I'm a huge fan of persistent world games, and even though this isn't an MMO, the persistent world aspect of the game gets me excited. I would be playing it on the PS3.

Yes, you want this game. It's not chromehounds, but it has a lot of elements from chromehounds integrated into it, and the mechs feel awesome.

Teknoman

Picking this up today.

bigdaddygamebot is the gamertag if there is still room left on the squad.

Gotta search for the team name now and put in the password.

I think so, but good luck trying to stick it on an enemy. :p

lol yeah I think the only way I could slice someone is if they had no idea it was coming, or if they were already in a firefight with someone, and I just rushed into them.

Either way Azul Bolt is slowly coming together :p

Yeah so far this month, AC V, SF x T (well even that has a few minor problems), and Ys Oath in Felghana PC versions are about the only things that havent been strangely disappointing. Kid Icarus will be awesome i'm sure, and SH Downpour is just fine aside from the plain enemy design, but i'm sure you'll be alright here. Last real mech game I played was Chromehounds...and I seem to be doing ok here.

Teamwork and tactics probably count for alot as well.

EDIT: What are Operation Files btw?

Pennybags

remember, you can't swap Cannon type weapons aka mounted weapons, because they are too massive, they can never go into your hanger bay. If you want to use your hangered weapons while you have a cannon weapon, you'll have to purge that cannon weapon.

to swap weapon just press Triangle + Left weapon or Right weapon.

to purge weapon press D-pad Down + Left weapon or Right weapon

That was my problem. I was rolling a tank build.

Thanks for clarifying.

1stStrike

Banned
Teamwork and tactics probably count for alot as well.

Yeah, I played a match last night and it's incredibly important that everyone is working together. It was late at night, so I didn't feel like putting on my mic, and I definitely lowered the efficiency of my team because I couldn't really make out what they were saying, nor was I able to respond.

It'll be good fun once I've unlocked all the parts and have myself a fully upgraded mech. That's when I'll really start focusing on the online matches and territory wars.

Also, what I love about this game - only got 10 - 15 minutes to play? No problem! Just hop in a order match and take out an AC or complete an objective, depending on the type of mission and then go on your way. It's nice for when you're short on time.

Teknoman

So with a light AC that would probably depend on boost alot, would you use a generator that lets you regenerate faster, or has a higher max capacity?

Also what missions would be best to try to take on solo as far as invasions go?

1stStrike

Banned
So with a light AC that would probably depend on boost alot, would you use a generator that lets you regenerate faster, or has a higher max capacity?

Are you planning on using energy weapons? If not, then I would go with the faster boost. If you do plan on using energy weapons, than you'd want the higher capacity so that you have enough energy to both boost and shoot. The high power ones don't give you enough energy to get more than a burst off before you're down to 30% (at least in the early game before you've unlocked everything)

Teknoman

Are you planning on using energy weapons? If not, then I would go with the faster boost. If you do plan on using energy weapons, than you'd want the higher capacity so that you have enough energy to both boost and shoot. The high power ones don't give you enough energy to get more than a burst off before you're down to 30% (at least in the early game before you've unlocked everything)

Yeah I like a TE and KE weapons mix.

wwm0nkey

Also what missions would be best to try to take on solo as far as invasions go?

The 3rd option where you have to do at least 250k damage, it goes by super fast and if you do it on MAX it should net you 17k team points.

If we get another large sum of people on tonight we can take over the facility leaderboards by having us all solo and getting a lot of points and then doing some Conquest missions.

Also shotguns and insane in this game took out 100k of health from a guy in 2 shots.

1stStrike

Banned
I'll definitely be on, and wow the speed difference when focused on lightweight is crazy.

Yeah, I'm going to make a super light weight AC after work (30 minutes to go... 30 minutes to go...) and give that a whirl with dual shotguns I think. Super scout :p

REALLY wish there was a demo for this. I know they probably couldn't distill it down that far with all of the customization but I just want to get a feel for it before I put down $60.

wwm0nkey

REALLY wish there was a demo for this. I know they probably couldn't distill it down that far with all of the customization but I just want to get a feel for it before I put down $60.

Go to Redbox and pick it up for $2 if you like it just keep it for 30 days and its yours. That is if a redbox has it near you.

Foxix Von

Go to Redbox and pick it up for $2 if you like it just keep it for 30 days and its yours. That is if a redbox has it near you.

I've been itchin' to try this too. Unfortunately rental places/redbox don't seem to carry this, at least if my google fu is working.

ACESmkII

After beating the first few story missions I've come the conclusion that the English dubbing in this is Sega CD era bad
ass....

The game is amazing otherwise.

1stStrike

Banned
After beating the first few story missions I've come the conclusion that the English dubbing in this is Sega CD era bad
ass....

The game is amazing otherwise.

Yeah, the dubbing is pretty bad. Honestly, the graphics are not great either. I'm hoping next gen we get a Mechwarrior that looks as it should.

At least MW Online will be on PC and the graphics in that look pretty pimp so far.

ACESmkII

Yeah, the dubbing is pretty bad. Honestly, the graphics are not great either. I'm hoping next gen we get a Mechwarrior that looks as it should.

At least MW Online will be on PC and the graphics in that look pretty pimp so far.

Yeah the Graphics aren't anything to wright home about but the AC's them self have a certain charm to them. I love watching the switching weapons animation.

All the game needs is some better textures and a higher frame rate and it would look really nice.

1stStrike

Banned
PSN id is NewAgeOfAces

Anyone else playing ACV feel free to add me.

We need a legit Gaf squad on PS3.

Added. There's two teams right now. AdmiralSnackBar has his with some IRL friends, and then there's mine which has all gaffers.

I'll see how Dreadnoughts does. If we don't hit 10+, then I'll probably just merge up with the Admiral.

ACESmkII

Added. There's two teams right now. AdmiralSnackBar has his with some IRL friends, and then there's mine which has all gaffers.

I'll see how Dreadnoughts does. If we don't hit 10+, then I'll probably just merge up with the Admiral.

Sounds good. I'll be back on around 7pm pst.

1stStrike

Banned
Also shotguns and insane in this game took out 100k of health from a guy in 2 shots.

I now agree with this statement. I made a super light weight AC with dual shotguns, a pulse gun, laser sword, and extra ammo. Been tearing shit up with it.

I used the USG-11/H with the extra spread on my right for stopping power/groups of enemies, and on my left arm I put the KO-3K2. Pretty insane combo.

Also, with the light weight mech I can dance circles around the heavier guys without ever really touching the ground, except to give myself another boost now and then. I think light weight scout is definitely my thing.

Alucrid

Banned
Well...I get into a sortie with other gaffers only to disconnect. Sorry guys :|

Also, where can I find info on operator shit so I'm not terrible?

Edit: This is pretty awesome. I just need to work on a decent mech. And by decent I mean not the one you start with.

Top Bottom