• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ARMS |OT| (’-‘)-------------

I'm at Fight 7 in Grand Prix level 4. I've found that so far, the best strategy for Grand Prix is to just try and get a lead, and then stay as far away as possible and constantly move and just wait out the clock. I think I have only won one fight so far by K.O. haha.

Zafir

You can't rebind controls can you?

I really wish you could, I can't stand the guard being set to the thumbstick. Considering I'm not using the individual joy cons, I wish I could use A or B as the guard button, since I'm not using those to punch....

sirap

How's the single player content? 60 seems a bit high but I'm willing to give this game a shot. I might jump into multiplayer every now and then but being so close to Japan I'll probably get wrecked every time :p

I really wish I could reconfigure the controls. Been playing on handheld mode, and I don't particularly like pressing the left stick in to block. Had a few good games online, though.

Edit: Zafir gets me

Coda

How's the single player content? 60 seems a bit high but I'm willing to give this game a shot

There's really only Grand Prix so if you're not gonna play the game online at all I wouldn't recommend it. Party Match and getting new Arms is where the replay value comes in.

Ozium

is there a worse matchup than Master Mummy vs Ninjara? fucking hell this is bullshit... the cpu will dodge everything, and Mummy's fastest attack means nothing to his dodging and throwing.. at least playing w/ mummy against Ninjara online against others isn't as bad because they don't 100% predict what you are going to do like the AI does

salty af right now

Ashodin

BREHS I GOT MY COPY

Grey Joy-Cons represent! Maybe someday later I'll get the yellow ones when I have more money.

UsT4679.jpg

This will probably be the best MP experience of the summer brehs

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
How's the single player content? 60 seems a bit high but I'm willing to give this game a shot

If you're not completely taken by the gameplay loop like I am, it's probably going to seem light in that area. It's basic arcade fare. No narrative or any sort of exploration, really. There is a special boss battle but, outside of that, you pretty much play the same stuff you'd play online, just against the CPU. The CPU puts up a goddamn hell of a fight though.

I'm in love with the game so I'll probably end up putting in 20 hours just offline to grind for coins and unlock everything. A lot of people just meh out of the offline stuff and play online exclusively though.

heringer

If you're not completely taken by the gameplay loop like I am, it's probably going to seem light in that area. It's basic arcade fare. No narrative or any sort of exploration, really. There is a special boss battle but, outside of that, you pretty much play the same stuff you'd play online, just against the CPU. The CPU puts up a goddamn hell of a fight though.

I'm in love with the game so I'll probably end up putting in 20 hours just offline to grind for coins and unlock everything. A lot of people just meh out of the offline stuff and play online exclusively though.

Don't you need to grind offline to get all the arms though?

Durden77

This is not too high imo. There are mini games as well (Basketball, Volleyball, Targets). In a world where Street Fighter V was 69,99 at launch I'm not complaining about this price for Arms.

Why not? It has about the same featured set as SFV did at launch, and SFV's gamplay also had polish too.

I mean I'm glad I bought the game personally, I know it will be worth the money just like SFV is for me, but I find it funny that Capcom gets so much shit when Nintendo releases a product with very similar features and gets a pass. I could totally understand people not wanting to pay 60 bucks for this game right now.

Also just because another game lowers the bar of what a game on release should be, doesn't mean that excuses games that follow suit.

Finished the Grand Prix on 1. Hate starting that low, but it definitely took me a good while to really get used to it. The movement of the game really throws me off, it's hard to get used to. And the punch curving. I instinctively want to keep moving even as I punch for some reason and it ends up throwing off my punches a lot.

I liked what I played, though, going to try level 2 next.

This is real fun but man I feel like I have zero coordination with the motion controls. Still I know that if I practice enough I can get better at it and it'd be the most fun control scheme.

Lan Dong Mik

And why would I want them?
Damn this game is sick! Finally just beat Grand Prix on level 4 difficulty.

btw is there anyway to unlock these last two fighters??

I got my ass kicked bad in ranked, like goddamn, I still have a lot of work to do if I'm gonna git gud

I need those yellow joy con controllers bad

Damn this game is sick! Finally just beat Grand Prix on level 4 difficulty.

btw is there anyway to unlock these last two fighters??

I got my ass kicked bad in ranked, like goddamn, I still have a lot of work to do if I'm gonna git gud

I need those yellow joy con controllers bad

Max Brass is coming as free DLC

BashNasty

Is it really this brutal? That's all im hearing around here, my copy is waiting at home and now I am worried lol.

I think some people have taken better to the controls than I have, but yes, I think most people are going to find this to be a brutally difficult game.

is there a worse matchup than Master Mummy vs Ninjara? fucking hell this is bullshit... the cpu will dodge everything, and Mummy's fastest attack means nothing to his dodging and throwing.. at least playing w/ mummy against Ninjara online against others isn't as bad because they don't 100% predict what you are going to do like the AI does

salty af right now

Use double retorchers and go for hard reads.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
So what's the verdict on casual approachability?

Generally I'm not a fighting game guy. I've tried Soul Calibur and Tekken in the past and they've both bewildered me. I'm just not good at 'em because I don't really have the time to sit down and memorize three dozen different combos.

Is Arms sufficiently arcadey enough to escape the fighting game genre and get more into the party game space or will I be frustrated?

ksamedi

Generally I'm not a fighting game guy. I've tried Soul Calibur and Tekken in the past and they've both bewildered me. I'm just not good at 'em because I don't really have the time to sit down and memorize three dozen different combos.

Is Arms sufficiently arcadey enough to escape the fighting game genre and get more into the party game space or will I be frustrated?

The charm of arms is that you dont need to learn a move set at all, its all vert intuitive. Its all about battle tactics. Very casual friendly yet also very deep if you want it to be.

Gonna say local MP is totally approachable. Game is surprisingly deep, and the single player arcade and online going to be tough. I'm sucking super bad at arcade. Game is crazy cool though. Some super creative, beautiful design work.
Super fresh feeling fighting game.

Mandelbo

Yeaaah I think I'm one of the people who's gonna find the learning curve for this extremely steep. Grand Prix level 3 is only just doable for me, and playing online against actual people is a whole other can of worms altogether. I just cannot get curving punches to work properly - I almost always overshoot completely or just hit the enemy's arm instead. I'm playing with the grip, and it's *incredibly* frustrating given that every punch leaves you wide open.

I think the game could really do a much better job of actually teaching you how to play and what strategies you can employ; the training mode is a bit shit at actually helping you learn what you're doing wrong. Maybe instead of just having a slideshow of tips and hints in the help menu it could actually integrate those hints into a tutorial mode so you could put them into practice. I can see a lot of people giving up on this because they feel like they're just flailing around randomly not making progress, especially since the AI is so brutal.

Yeaaah I think I'm one of the people who's gonna find the learning curve for this extremely steep. Grand Prix level 3 is only just doable for me, and playing online against actual people is a whole other can of worms altogether. I just cannot get curving punches to work properly - I almost always overshoot completely or just hit the enemy's arm instead. I'm playing with the grip, and it's *incredibly* frustrating given that every punch leaves you wide open.

I think the game could really do a much better job of actually teaching you how to play and what strategies you can employ; the training mode is a bit shit at actually helping you learn what you're doing wrong. Maybe instead of just having a slideshow of tips and hints in the help menu it could actually integrate those hints into a tutorial mode so you could put them into practice. I can see a lot of people giving up on this because they feel like they're just flailing around randomly not making progress, especially since the AI is so brutal.

It's not perfect but go into Versus and at the bottom there is a training mode.

DrDogg

The way Rush works goes against how a comeback mechanic is supposed to work in a fighting game. You get it for punching an being offensive. Which means you can be owning someone and even get Rush first to finish them off.

Lots of things about this game don't work at higher levels of play. Not sure how long I'll be playing this.

LotusHD

Banned
Beat Grand Prix Lv4. Wasn't nearly as hard as y'all made it out to be... until Hedlok. That was a little challenging lol

But yesh, now I can do Ranked.

---

Also damn Ribbon Girl can sing!

That's the training mode I'm talking about :p I just don't think it's very helpful at all.

I read the slideshow part and thought you meant the help section at the bottom of the main page which tells you about each individual characters gimmick. Sorry about that man.

I agree however, I'm doing the practice right now and it could certainly use something more. I'd like to learn how to stop a dodging/jumping Twintelle/Ribbon Girl with a slower character and how to use Byte & Barqs abilities MUCH better. As of now I'm trying to jump on my dog and missing alot and being punished for it.

Pastry

Banned
The way Rush works goes against how a comeback mechanic is supposed to work in a fighting game. You get it for punching an being offensive. Which means you can be owning someone and even get Rush first to finish them off.

Lots of things about this game don't work at higher levels of play. Not sure how long I'll be playing this.

Taking hits and just the regular charging of arms charges the rush meter also so I don't really see it as an issue.

Weren't you the one saying that there's no incentive for being aggressive? Well there you go.
Good guide you posted by the way, some helpful pointers for Grand Prix and in particular Hedlock. Thanks.

Top Bottom