• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ARMS |OT| (’-‘)-------------

Chauzu

The way Rush works goes against how a comeback mechanic is supposed to work in a fighting game. You get it for punching an being offensive. Which means you can be owning someone and even get Rush first to finish them off.

Lots of things about this game don't work at higher levels of play. Not sure how long I'll be playing this.

Isn't this good tho? It feels like the game mechanics fundamentally rewards you for being passive but by keeping punching and being more offensive you can be rewarded with getting more rush gauges filled. This is how I try to play and so far I feel haply to get rewarded even when facing grab happy Ninjaras.

_Slay

The way Rush works goes against how a comeback mechanic is supposed to work in a fighting game. You get it for punching an being offensive. Which means you can be owning someone and even get Rush first to finish them off.

Lots of things about this game don't work at higher levels of play. Not sure how long I'll be playing this.
It's not a comeback mechanic though? It works and builds like a traditional super meter gauge.

DrDogg

Taking hits and just the regular charging of arms charges the rush meter also so I don't really see it as an issue.

You get way more meter for punching than anything else.

Weren't you the one saying that there's no incentive for being aggressive? Well there you go.
Good guide you posted by the way, some helpful pointers for Grand Prix and in particular Hedlock. Thanks.

No problem.

I do punch first, but not to hit the opponent. I just back away and use safe single punches (with no intention of hitting the opponent) until I have Rush.

deoee

I can't anymore.

My arms are tired and heavy after combined 3h of playing today.

The online mode is very well done - rotating around and chaning modes is awesome.

jts

...hate me...
Can we talk about the inability to go to the home menu while in a lobby?

Can't check the battery %, can't check who's online, can't change the screen brightness, change control settings quickly etc. No game should be allowed to do that, except in the usual quick situations (like loading screens).

Just penalize people that are AFK in a match. Not this extreme babysitting.

DrDogg

I'm starting to test out aggressive, offensive play, but I still think it's super risky. When I play rushdown my goal is to corner the opponent. If I do that I basically win. Really depends on Arm configuration though.

Isn't this good tho? It feels like the game mechanics fundamentally rewards you for being passive but by keeping punching and being more offensive you can be rewarded with getting more rush gauges filled. This is how I try to play and so far I feel haply to get rewarded even when facing grab happy Ninjaras.

I would agree except that I can just sit back and single punch all day to build meter. Not much you can do about it.

It's not a comeback mechanic though? It works and builds like a traditional super meter gauge.

If it's not a comeback mechanic then I can understand. However, in most modern fighting games you super is used as a comeback mechanic.

Zedark

Really good imo. I am currently doing level 5 single player, and I mostly win in online matches. Manoeuvring around is easier with pro controller, but comes at the cost of more difficulty in curving punches. All in all I'd say pro controller is definitely on par with motion controls, and I personally prefer it.

If it's not a comeback mechanic then I can understand. However, in most modern fighting games you super is used as a comeback mechanic.

Your super can be used as a comeback mechanic, but it's almost universal in fighting games (modern and old) that supers are built by playing offensively

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America

Movement is easier but you don't have independent control of punch aiming and curvature. Still fun to play with traditional controls, but I'm only doing it in handheld mode when the situation calls for it.

Is Hedlock even supposed to be beatable? I'm trying to win a single round for like 30 minutes now. That's one of the most insane difficulty spikes in recent gaming history, seriously

Is Hedlock even supposed to be beatable? I'm trying to win a single round for like 30 minutes now. That's one of the most insane difficulty spikes in recent gaming history, seriously

You have to be more patient with him because of the 6 arms and super armor. Try more throws after he shoots and weapons with more curve or range

DrDogg

The biggest downfall of the pro controller is that you can't curve punches as well. I think every other aspect of the game is better with the pro.

Your super can be used as a comeback mechanic, but it's almost universal in fighting games (modern and old) that supers are built by playing offensively

That depends on what other comeback mechanics are already in place. In SF4 and SF5 supers could be used offensively because the ultra or v-trigger was your comeback mechanic. In most modern fighting games the super or equivalent technique is the comeback mechanic. Rage in Tekken, Instinct Mode in KI, etc.

Linking this again - https://www.primagames.com/games/ar...ps-beat-max-brass-and-hedlock-nintendo-switch

If you want to be cheap when it comes to Hedlok just stay back as far as you can and toss out single punches until you have rush meter. Wait for an attack, dodge and active rush. Rinse and repeat and you should win.

Shikoba

Picked it up on my lunch break and played a little. SO good. Forgot how great it looks on portable. So much charm to this game, it's great. Got through a few fights of the 4th difficulty without issue. Hopefully I can continue that after work and unlock online :p

Has anyone had any luck with Min Min's deflects? I played her the most in the testing and I was deliberately trying to get it to work today with no luck. I'm not saying it doesn't work, but it seems hard to line up a direction and their punches.

Thoraxes

Awww yeah.

Also fuck Spring Man on rank 4.

2017-06-1613.53.35mwufm.jpg

AEREC

This is not too high imo. There are mini games as well (Basketball, Volleyball, Targets). In a world where Street Fighter V was 69,99 at launch I'm not complaining about this price for Arms.

SFV isnt really a good comparison when Injustice 2 and Tekken 7 launched for the same price but with tons of single-player content.

Shikoba

^THIS.

All day this!

I think it's easily the worst stage I've ever played in a modern fighting game. Although to Nintendo's credit, it lowers the skill ceiling and makes the playing field equal no matter who's playing.

Haven't yet played it. What makes it so frustrating?

^THIS.

All day this!

I think it's easily the worst stage I've ever played in a modern fighting game. Although to Nintendo's credit, it lowers the skill ceiling and makes the playing field equal no matter who's playing.

I don't understand it. The enemy is to my right, I fire my right arm while aiming right and nothing fucking happens. The discs make actually landing a hit completely haphazard. Even homies have almost no effect.

send help

Haven't yet played it. What makes it so frustrating?

best strat is to luck out and get an early life lead then run away because n o o n e c a n h i t a n y t h i n g

FUCK

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
So what's the verdict on casual approachability?

Generally I'm not a fighting game guy. I've tried Soul Calibur and Tekken in the past and they've both bewildered me. I'm just not good at 'em because I don't really have the time to sit down and memorize three dozen different combos.

Is Arms sufficiently arcadey enough to escape the fighting game genre and get more into the party game space or will I be frustrated?

yes, 100%

it distills the spacing and mind games of fighting games and removes all the combos and lab time

At first I thought having the joycons be a different color than the system was dumb, but after seeing a neon and yellow colors in person I'm now totally sold on the concept.

LotusHD

Banned
So what's the verdict on casual approachability?

Generally I'm not a fighting game guy. I've tried Soul Calibur and Tekken in the past and they've both bewildered me. I'm just not good at 'em because I don't really have the time to sit down and memorize three dozen different combos.

Is Arms sufficiently arcadey enough to escape the fighting game genre and get more into the party game space or will I be frustrated?

Nope, you can dive in! Not having to learn combos and such goes a long way in this regard.

So how is everyone enjoying it. Is it a good game?

Single player content could use more meat, but if you're fine with it being light in that aspect, game is fun as hell to play with other people, whether locally or online.

KingV

Can we talk about the inability to go to the home menu while in a lobby?

Can't check the battery %, can't check who's online, can't change the screen brightness, change control settings quickly etc. No game should be allowed to do that, except in the usual quick situations (like loading screens).

Just penalize people that are AFK in a match. Not this extreme babysitting.

Can't even put the switch to sleep from the lobby. It's a really weird design choice.

KodaRuss

How does the rumble feel? I have been a lot more impressed with the HD rumble with the Switch than I thought I would be. I love this system so far, cant wait to try out Arms tonight.

Top Bottom