• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ARMS |OT| (’-‘)-------------

snake park three times in a row in ranked why

knocked this dude off his disc early on and cockblocked him from getting back on all match. it was hilarious and sad at the same time

Dipship31

Beat Grand Prix lvl 4 last night so I could unlock ranked mode, but it was certainly frustrating and a pretty stupid idea to tie that to unlocking ranked. Didn't have too much trouble with it though till Hedlock. I think I lost to him like the first 5 matches till I finally beat him, what was so damn frustrating is I think I won the first match all 5 times!
LLShC.gif

So what's the verdict on casual approachability?

Generally I'm not a fighting game guy. I've tried Soul Calibur and Tekken in the past and they've both bewildered me. I'm just not good at 'em because I don't really have the time to sit down and memorize three dozen different combos.

Is Arms sufficiently arcadey enough to escape the fighting game genre and get more into the party game space or will I be frustrated?
FYI, getting good at fighting games has very little to do with memorising combos. That's a common beginner mistake and the wrong mentality to approach them with.

Durden77

If it's not a comeback mechanic then I can understand. However, in most modern fighting games you super is used as a comeback mechanic.

No it's not. Most modern fighting games since comeback mechamics have been introduced have a seperate type of meter for a comeback mechanic or something similar. Super meters are typically reserved for a general tactics like supers, EX moves, cancels, ect. These things can LEAD to a comeback if used well though, of course.

Especially since rush can be carried over between rounds like a typical super meter, it seems less like a comeback mechanic and more like a very simple version of a standard super meter in a fighting game. It gives you an option to tack on more damage.

I do with there was more to rush though. It's super flat. Just pop it and press buttons and hope for damage.

ASIS

The biggest downfall of the pro controller is that you can't curve punches as well. I think every other aspect of the game is better with the pro.

That depends on what other comeback mechanics are already in place. In SF4 and SF5 supers could be used offensively because the ultra or v-trigger was your comeback mechanic. In most modern fighting games the super or equivalent technique is the comeback mechanic. Rage in Tekken, Instinct Mode in KI, etc.

Linking this again - https://www.primagames.com/games/ar...ps-beat-max-brass-and-hedlock-nintendo-switch

If you want to be cheap when it comes to Hedlok just stay back as far as you can and toss out single punches until you have rush meter. Wait for an attack, dodge and active rush. Rinse and repeat and you should win.
Can I have a match with you? I wanna see your techniques.

Galava

Losing in high level grand prix doesn't feel fair. Every move you make will get countered in 1ms and the AI will predict where you fall and what button presses you make at a ludicrous speed.

One thing is difficulty, another one if artificially cheating the AI.

Zafir

yeah i think this might be a game i only play with other people because i'm just like, fuck the AI

You have to beat Grand Prix level 4 to unlock ranked though.

That said now that I've done it. Not touching that mode again, lol. Games fun with people, not so much with the AI.

How are people feeling about the longevity? I recognize this is kind of hard to answer on launch day, but I'm on the fence and just want to know do you think people will still be playing in a month once Splatoon comes out?

Galava

That said now that I've done it. Not touching that mode again, lol. Games fun with people, not so much with the AI.

Indeed. Level 4 is doable, not worth it to keep doing it on higher level. Doesn't matter how good you are, the AI will always be faster than you and will predict the future.

Durden77

How are people feeling about the longevity? I recognize this is kind of hard to answer on launch day, but I'm on the fence and just want to know do you think people will still be playing in a month once Splatoon comes out?

I really depends on the updates. The game itself right now to me feels more like a Mario Kart of fighting games. Really fun and can get very competitive, but not something to take TOO seriously.

I'm kind of glad it's like that though. I already have my fighting games for my fighting game needs. This feels like a fighting game that I can bust out like I would Mario Kart and have that type of fun with friends or online when I want it. I think it will be enjoyable for a long time, but not necessarily in the same way fighting games typically are.

SuperSah

Banned
Best stage will be Spring Stadium or the Mausoleum for me.

Snake Park is a weird one, but in ranked matches me and the opponent always ditch the boards and fight normally which makes it just fine.

Jintor

did that last night already

probably died like 10 times to hedlok

Getting the hang of it playing matches here and there throughout the day, damn this is a lot of fun especially when you can feel yourself getting better and it starts slowing down.

I still suck but won a close Grand Prix match and it felt so satisfying getting that last punch

Loz246789

Just had some friends over to play arms for a bit, it was a ton of fun. They all really seemed taken with the motion controls, which surprised me.
...I should probably get more joycons.

Robiin

After one day, I have come to the conclusion that I am really bad at this game.

Single player, I suck.

Multiplayer, I rarely win - and when I try to think about my actions I do worse.

I'm gonna need some high level player to break EVERY mechanic down and do some Youtube tutorial or something. I feel overwhelmed, and end up spamming and mixing up between punching and grabbing without thinking.

B00TE

A few folks from my FFXIV Free Company ended up picking up copies on a whim when they heard me giggling and laughing while playing. Now we've been doing friend lobbies while waiting for our server to not break lol.

Tain

Feeling like an idiot on the "Don't get thrown" training stage. I am trying to punch through throws but it seems like that's a really weak way to avoid them?

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Fuuuuuck why is everybody so good in ranked? Just about every match is just both of us dodging almost everything with the occasional hit landing. Most games go down to the timer. I've never timer scammed so much in a fighting game before.

Aikidoka

Well I just got it and played a few matches in the grand prix, and really I'm not sure if I want to bother with getting used to the controls - moving can be really frustrating and I feel like my punches curve in weird directions. Also, the tutorial kind of sucks because as far as I'm aware there's nothing talking about the different arms and when you can or can't punch through attacks.

DrDogg

snake park three times in a row in ranked why

knocked this dude off his disc early on and cockblocked him from getting back on all match. it was hilarious and sad at the same time

I got it 3 out of 4 stages in Ranked. I was like... really?

No it's not. Most modern fighting games since comeback mechamics have been introduced have a seperate type of meter for a comeback mechanic or something similar. Super meters are typically reserved for a general tactics like supers, EX moves, cancels, ect. These things can LEAD to a comeback if used well though, of course.

Most modern fighting games have a comeback mechanic of some sort. With Arms, it either doesn't have one or it's Rush. Since Rush shuts down the offense of the other player, it provides a huge advantage, so I'd consider it a pretty good way to comeback. But I can see your point about it simply not being a comeback mechanic.

Especially since rush can be carried over between rounds like a typical super meter, it seems less like a comeback mechanic and more like a very simple version of a standard super meter in a fighting game. It gives you an option to tack on more damage.

I do with there was more to rush though. It's super flat. Just pop it and press buttons and hope for damage.

It's a lot more than just a damage boost. Once someone has Rush you basically can't attack them. If someone has Rush and the other player's health is low, it's almost a guaranteed win. It gives you full control of the match.

Can I have a match with you? I wanna see your techniques.

Sure, PM me your friend code.

Losing in high level grand prix doesn't feel fair. Every move you make will get countered in 1ms and the AI will predict where you fall and what button presses you make at a ludicrous speed.

One thing is difficulty, another one if artificially cheating the AI.

I can beat level 7 without losing at all. You just have to play super defensive.

This is where I'm at. Pure skill to manage that map, really enjoy the challenge.

Pure skill? It drastically lowers the skill ceiling and makes the match about random punches in hopes you land a hit.

The boards block most attacks and even make Rush attacks go off axis. You don't have to even worry about countering attacks because moving on the board does all the work for you. At best you land a lucky attack to knock the opponent off the board, then you keep them from getting back on and it's a free win.

Formless

Well I just got it and played a few matches in the grand prix, and really I'm not sure if I want to bother with getting used to the controls - moving can be really frustrating and I feel like my punches curve in weird directions. Also, the tutorial kind of sucks because as far as I'm aware there's nothing talking about the different arms and when you can or can't punch through attacks.

The way your arms move is determined by how the joycon is tilted before you throw the punch and how you move it while the punch is out. I was getting really frustrated until I realized the former.

DrDogg

Fuuuuuck why is everybody so good in ranked? Just about every match is just both of us dodging almost everything with the occasional hit landing. Most games go down to the timer. I've never timer scammed so much in a fighting game before.

Welcome to competitive Arms, where half the games go to time out. :(

There is an offensive way to play, but I don't think people will go for it over playing super defensive.

Aikidoka

The way your arms move is determined by how the joycon is tilted before you throw the punch and how you move it while the punch is out. I was getting really frustrated until I realized the former.

That's probably it as I feel extremely clumsy in switching from strafing to attacking. I guess, I'll just start with level 1 grand prix and try to relax.

I suck at this game. I feel like I always throw curved punches no matter what. And blocking feels too slow with joy cons. I tried the pro and was okay but blocking was awful on it for me.

Farsi

Welcome to competitive Arms, where half the games go to time out. :(

There is an offensive way to play, but I don't think people will go for it over playing super defensive.

I think alot of people will change their playing styles when they start unlocking more arms. Right now that RNG is really keeping people humble.

atr0cious

Pure skill? It drastically lowers the skill ceiling and makes the match about random punches in hopes you land a hit.

The boards block most attacks and even make Rush attacks go off axis. You don't have to even worry about countering attacks because moving on the board does all the work for you. At best you land a lucky attack to knock the opponent off the board, then you keep them from getting back on and it's a free win.
So something more difficult lowers the skill ceiling, how does that work? I use the blorb and can arch my punch to hit them. The hardest part for me is getting used to the dismount as I like knocking folks off their board and hopping on theirs. After the first couple times, I looked forward to the map, especially as a Cobra main, cause it moves way faster than his standard dash. And this is after only a couple hours of learning the controls.

After one day, I have come to the conclusion that I am really bad at this game.

Single player, I suck.

Multiplayer, I rarely win - and when I try to think about my actions I do worse.

I'm gonna need some high level player to break EVERY mechanic down and do some Youtube tutorial or something. I feel overwhelmed, and end up spamming and mixing up between punching and grabbing without thinking.

What character and arms have you tried or are you using? During the test punch I went for Minmin/RibbonGirl/Twintelle because I do much better with speed in general but when I got the full game I couldn't help but try Byte&Barq/Helix which I have been pretty terrible with.

I've stuck to Byte&Barq because I haven't really figured out the usefulness of the parry/jump off Barq mechanic at all (in general I don't know how to react after a successful parry) and I've been messing around with a shield in one hand and something faster in the other. Right now I'm trying to learn the ice boomerang.

So all of that taken together.....I fucking suck. 😂

But I want to see if I can ever get decent with it and start to beat down some of the more dodgy players.

atr0cious

What character and arms have you tried or are you using? During the test punch I went for Minmin/RibbonGirl/Twintelle because I do much better with speed in general but when I got the full game I couldn't help but try Byte&Barq/Helix which I have been pretty terrible with.

I've stuck to Byte&Barq because I haven't really figured out the usefulness of the parry/jump off Barq mechanic at all (in general I don't know how to react after a successful parry) and I've been messing around with a shield in one hand and something faster in the other. Right now I'm trying to learn the ice boomerang.

So all of that taken together.....I fucking suck. 😂

But I want to see if I can ever get decent with it and start to beat down some of the more dodgy players.
We need a run back, I joined the GAF pool for a bit yesterday after already playing for a couple hours so I stunk. One game was you and I think Shahadan in a 1v1v1 and I got rekt. Gotta redeem myself.

Top Bottom